Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Vanillaware's gameplay is very hit and miss too, that's what I am more worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I think there's a point where hyper-exaggeration can go from acceptable to really really offputting and it's different for everyone. I found Magna Carta's art completely disgusting to look at but I know it was a selling point for other people. The art style has some name I can't remember but it's very much a love-it-or-hate-it kinda thing.

Magna Carta didn't look like that in game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Magna Carta didn't look like that in game.

I donno, they still looked freaky as poo poo to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, absolutely.

To the point of it being as offensive as a number of people on this page and throughout any mention of Dragon's Crown seem to make it out to be?

I will admit that I'm having problems articulating exactly why these designs doesn't bother me as much as other sexualized female designs in vidja games. Maybe because I feel these are Kamatani painting to his fetishes' content rather than them being inherently intended to be exploitative (which the exaggerations may actually hamper to an extent)?

ImpAtom posted:

I think there's a point where hyper-exaggeration can go from acceptable to really really offputting and it's different for everyone. I found Magna Carta's art completely disgusting to look at but I know it was a selling point for other people. The art style has some name I can't remember but it's very much a love-it-or-hate-it kinda thing.

I found the Magna Carta character art unbearably seedy. I don't know if I'd characterize the problems with that artstyle as having to do with hyper-exaggeration, though. The artist certainly had weird conceptions of the human anatomy (and 3D space) but the sleaziness came more from what he chose to emphasize than the deformedness of the characters, imo.

That's kind of the point; for whatever the reason, I don't find the Dragon's Crown art as sleazy. So I guess I agree more generally about there being different limits/tastes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I donno, they still looked freaky as poo poo to me.

...Oh. I only played the second one.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rinkles posted:

To the point of it being as offensive as a number of people on this page and throughout any mention of Dragon's Crown seem to make it out to be?

I don't really think much of either art style or game as being 'offensive'. It's just another stupid caricature that I've seen most of my life in Cho Aniki and depressingly familiar in Dragon's Crown. I just think they both look like poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Don't look up screenshots for Blade & Soul. It's from the same guy who did Magna Carta's design but it's far far worse. It's a shame because the actual environments look pretty good in that game.

proka
Feb 6, 2007

What's the verdict on Agarest: Generations of War 2? It's only AUS$12 right now due to a sale (normally about $55).

I feel like playing a TRPG right now, but is it too pervy? I've checked out a few reviews and it sounds like it's worth a shot from a gameplay perspective, but I recall something about this series being pretty trashy. For the record, I bought SO4 twice (360 then PS3), and only made it about 10 hours in. That game became too painful for my liking.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been trying to get my feelings straight recently about shooting people in games. I was upset to learn that both Tomb Raider and (apparently) Bioshock Infinite are mostly about shooting people, but then I remembered one of my favorite games so far this year: Far Cry 3. That sure as hell is about shooting people, but I loved every minute of it. What's different?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Is Peace Walker HD on PS3 any good? I'm bummed out it wasn't in the MGS HD collection for the Vita that EU/AU just got on PS+ :(

It seems to be available separately on the PSN store, so I'm tempted now.

Did they fix some of the shortcomings of the PSP version (which I have on UMD and mostly enjoyed). My main gripes with it were the atrocious controls and the overly difficult boss battles that required to you co-op to even stand a chance. Using ad-hoc party was annoying as hell, which just made it all that much worse.

Otherwise, I though it was a lot of fun. If they fixed those couple of things I may just grab it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kiwillian posted:

Is Peace Walker HD on PS3 any good? I'm bummed out it wasn't in the MGS HD collection for the Vita that EU/AU just got on PS+ :(

Did they fix some of the shortcomings of the PSP version (which I have on UMD and mostly enjoyed). My main gripes with it were the atrocious controls and the overly difficult boss battles that required to you co-op to even stand a chance. Using ad-hoc party was annoying as hell, which just made it all that much worse.

Otherwise, I though it was a lot of fun. If they fixed those couple of things I may just grab it.

Multiplayer is through the internet, Boss battles are still annoying, and the controls are much improved. So you should like it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been trying to get my feelings straight recently about shooting people in games. I was upset to learn that both Tomb Raider and (apparently) Bioshock Infinite are mostly about shooting people, but then I remembered one of my favorite games so far this year: Far Cry 3. That sure as hell is about shooting people, but I loved every minute of it. What's different?

For one thing, I think Far Cry 3 at least grapples with how much of a monster you become. Tomb Raider seems to dump that entire angle within the first hour and a half.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kiwillian posted:

The controls are a lot better on a proper dual-analogue pad. As for the bosses, which once did you think were too difficult solo? Because I managed to beat Tigrex and Rathalos from the Monster Hunter tie-in arc without too much trouble, all by myself. It's just a matter of upgrading your heavy guns and remembering to bring resupply markers.

It looks so, SO much better on the PS3, too. 720p, 60fps solid.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Dominic White posted:

The controls are a lot better on a proper dual-analogue pad. As for the bosses, which once did you think were too difficult solo? Because I managed to beat Tigrex and Rathalos from the Monster Hunter tie-in arc without too much trouble, all by myself. It's just a matter of upgrading your heavy guns and remembering to bring resupply markers.

It looks so, SO much better on the PS3, too. 720p, 60fps solid.

My memory is hazy now, but I think most of them were quite hard. The APC, the flying one in the circular arena place, the similar flying one in a larger area that shot missiles at you or something - they were all pretty tough.

Sounds like I may grab it though from what you and blackguy32 have said - so thanks! Now to convince my friend to get it as well :)

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Playing Spec Ops got to you, didn't it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Overlord K posted:

Playing Spec Ops got to you, didn't it?
It helped, but even before that I was burned out on that kind of game. At least I thought I was, until FC3 came my way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really enjoyed Spec Ops, enough to trudge through it on FUBAR, but for some reason I can't help but feel I've already heard the game's message in another game. I want to say it was No More Heroes 2 bluntly shouting "how much is a human life worth!?!?" down my throat but its been like 3 years or so since I played it. Spec Ops did a better job of conveying it though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Far Cry 3 also has more stuff based on exploring (relics, radio towers) and some hunting sidequests that also make you feel less of a monster.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really want to play Sleeping Dogs but now that I know that the EU Plus folks get it for free, I'm really bothered by the idea of paying for it. Is there any history of things showing up first on one store and then the other, or are the deals usually pretty exclusive to their region?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

I really want to play Sleeping Dogs but now that I know that the EU Plus folks get it for free, I'm really bothered by the idea of paying for it. Is there any history of things showing up first on one store and then the other, or are the deals usually pretty exclusive to their region?

It happens sometimes but there's no guarantee of anything. There's really no pattern.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

Far Cry 3 also has more stuff based on exploring (relics, radio towers) and some hunting sidequests that also make you feel less of a monster.
I dunno I think the hunting made me feel like MORE of a monster. How many more cassowaries have to die for my wallet obsession??

But somehow it didn't bother me. I guess it was too over the top to take seriously...and yet slaughtering fifteen mercs in every encounter in Uncharted or whatever wasn't. Emotions towards violence in games is a weird thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cassowaries are assholes. They deserved it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

sandpiper posted:

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/notably-difficult-stage-in-god-of-war-ascension-getting-patched/

I'm not sure how to feel about stuff like this. It's not even broken or anything.
'
Having just got to this bit I'm loving glad, fighting waves of enemies with no way to regenerate your health or checkpoints is bullshit, especially when there's no way God of War's combat engine is up to it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno I think the hunting made me feel like MORE of a monster. How many more cassowaries have to die for my wallet obsession??

But somehow it didn't bother me. I guess it was too over the top to take seriously...and yet slaughtering fifteen mercs in every encounter in Uncharted or whatever wasn't. Emotions towards violence in games is a weird thing.

Maybe you feel less of an rear end in a top hat for letting a tiger go free and it just somehow murders their entire camp?

They deserved it for locking up the tiger/building a shoddy cage that's destroyed by an arrow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else feel like PS+ is just kind of overwhelming sometimes? I must have gotten 50 free games off this thing and Renegade Ops is the only one I have actually (amlost)beaten. Now I'm just sitting here with this ridiculous backlog of games I never play but I can't bring myself to cancel cause it's such a drat good deal. I feel like I can sympathize with PC gamers that use Steam.The worst part is that I actually really want to play half the games but they always take a back seat to the games I actually pay for.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Vanillaware's gameplay is very hit and miss too, that's what I am more worried about.

Muramasa is the only game of theirs I have played and despite the beautiful visuals I thought it was insanely boring and I'd be hesitant to play anything else by Vanillaware because of it. I felt like that game was the definition of style over substance.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 16, 2013

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

NESguerilla posted:

Does anyone else feel like PS+ is just kind of overwhelming sometimes? I must have gotten 50 free games off this thing and Renegade Ops is the only one I have actually (amlost)beaten. Now I'm just sitting here with this ridiculous backlog of games I never play but I can't bring myself to cancel cause it's such a drat good deal. I feel like I can sympathize with PC gamers that use Steam.The worst part is that I actually really want to play half the games but they always take a back seat to the games I actually pay for.

I've been trying to dig into my backlog because its getting really big. The hard part for me is choosing one and going with it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
What is this, the Steam thread?

But seriously, paradox of choice and all that. I had to stop checking Steam every week to avoid it and similarly with PS+, I started asking myself if I ever really saw myself playing the game ever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

Muramasa is the only game of theirs I have played and despite the beautiful visuals I thought it was insanely boring and I'd be hesitant to play anything else by Vanillaware because of it. I felt like that game was the definition of style over substance.
I'm playing Odin Sphere again a bit right now and I guess the biggest problem I have with it is that you can't cancel anything into jumps, and dodging by jumping is ESSENTIAL, and sometimes it plays all funny with whether you can cancel a direction change mid-combo. It's just really sluggish and requires a whole different kind of thinking than any other action game, other than maybe the oldest of old-school beatemups.

I'm fighting the baby dragon right now, I had forgotten how 100% pure bullshit that fight is. Hi I'm a cute baby dragon, I'm gonna swing my little two foot long tail at you with no warning and one-shot you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just hated how repetitive Odin Sphere was. Same areas, same bosses, gently caress that poo poo.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

DangerKat posted:

What is this, the Steam thread?

But seriously, paradox of choice and all that. I had to stop checking Steam every week to avoid it and similarly with PS+, I started asking myself if I ever really saw myself playing the game ever.

Yeah these are pretty much classic Steam problems. Once you have enough free or cheap games to never worry about running out(which is always true on Steam, and true on PS3 if you like the PS plus lineup for an extended period of time) you should just forget about price altogether. There's no such thing as a bargain and you should never download something just because you can afford to. Get it if you're going to play it in the immediate future.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its weird seeing people talk about Vanillaware stuff and its flaws, back when they came out and it was nothing but glowing praise and paragraphs about the visuals.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That happens with almost every video game on the internet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Odin Sphere had it's flaws but they didn't matter in the face of how unique and beautiful that game was. The combat took some getting used to but I thought it did the job and just when you might be getting sick of it, you got a new character that mixed things up.

Muramasa reminds me of Actraiser 2 in that it improved something, but got rid of alot of the things that made the other game so unique in the first place and event hen the central mechanics were still flawed. In Muramasa they somehow made going around teh world map worse than the generic circular worlds in Odin Sphere. It was nice to have an actual world to explore but it was so boring and man did you have to trudge a long way sometimes. Muramasa wasn't awful (it had great bosses and man was it pretty) but it just looked really bad when compared to Odin Sphere.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All the restaurants in Odin Sphere should have gone out of business a long time ago though. Not only do they require the customer bring in a recipe and ingredients, but they only take one SPECIFIC coin as payment, not change made from other coins.

edit: also they all have only one table and one chair, and never any other customers, so I guess that makes sense. They are adventurer monster slayer restaurants only, that's why they only take coins from an ancient lost civilization as payment.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 16, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

All the restaurants in Odin Sphere should have gone out of business a long time ago though. Not only do they require the customer bring in a recipe and ingredients, but they only take one SPECIFIC coin as payment, not change made from other coins.

The more convenient and familiar form of restaurant has not been invented, so there is no one to run them out of business.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The MP on God of War Ascension is surprisingly fun. Unbalanced as poo poo at the moment, since half the time I'm brutalizing guys like 5 levels below me (Game only came out a few days ago though so whatever), but still pretty enjoyable for that team-based beat-em-up feel. Plus last round my team won the game by banding together to ram a spear into a cyclops big ugly face. :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: also they all have only one table and one chair, and never any other customers, so I guess that makes sense. They are adventurer monster slayer restaurants only, that's why they only take coins from an ancient lost civilization as payment.

Minor story spoiler for Odin Sphere - There's a very good reason the Pookas are encouraging people to give them those specific coins.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This forum is getting really conservative. I think Dragon's Crown looks awesome, and I normally hate anime games.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Kiwillian posted:

Peace Walker on PS3 is great. I think I've put in more than 80 hours into it.

If you're upset about the controls, the PS3 controls pretty much just like MGS4, allowing full use of the right analog stick. If you want changes in the boss battles though, you're going to have trouble. You'll still have to either gradually get stronger weapons to fight against the bosses or fight in co-op.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's out in 5 months and we're just now hearing about it? That doesn't bode well, there was like an 18-month run up to 3.

There wasn't an 18-month run up to 3. SR3 was announced March 2011 and released November 2011, which means the announcement came 8 months prior. They might have been aiming for the same thing this time, but announcing 8 months prior to scheduled release this time would have put them in the middle of the THQ debacle where the future of Volition and Saints Row was still up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Finally played through Batman Arkham Asylum and gunning for the Challenge Rooms, good fun. It's like each group of enemies is a timed puzzle, know where to stun, strike and dodge. Those harder rooms are going to be absolute murder though.

One more trophy to go in PSAll Stars, and now that I've spent a fair bit of time with this game I really enjoy it. I wish they put a bit more "story" into the Single Player and some rival cutscenes are a bit lame, but other than that I find it better to play than Smash from a character perspective.

• Locked thread