Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Yes the chatters can be kind of loonie. That having been said, they are a community of like-minded individuals that are giving in this instance. And they are effective against trolls. Some of the trolling that was going on there was horrid, but they've been really good at dealing with it. I have to give them props for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aww look at Yuri, he's walking like a pro :3:

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
First thing I saw when connecting just now.

Jill P posted:

Who is taking in vain the name of Chickenfish?

:suicide:

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 6, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm liking the owl cam. They seem to get a lot of rats.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Why is Yuri in the corner by himself looking apprehensive :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Why is Yuri in the corner by himself looking apprehensive :ohdear:

He's afraid of getting sucked into the black hole.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yuri is starting to look like a proper catte :3: He's definitely still a little kitten but he's starting to get the right shape. And he's walking like a pro! What a little trooper!

John was talking about how this litter is way ahead of his expectations as far as physical development goes and attributed it to Laika being a healthy, big cat who can supply her kittens with more nutrients than normal foster mums.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I haven't been watching for a couple of days (I finally tracked down a copy of Fire Emblem), and holy cow they are huge! This lot is going to be massive by the time they leave, they are going to make Ash look like a midget!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

John was talking about how this litter is way ahead of his expectations as far as physical development goes and attributed it to Laika being a healthy, big cat who can supply her kittens with more nutrients than normal foster mums.

Yeah. It's not so much that they're ahead of what they should be, rather that the majority of pregnant fosters that places like Purrfect Pals have to deal with are behind due to having to make do with whatever starving half-dead mothers can produce.

Hell, with Marie, not only was she half dead incredibly sickly, but her weight was dropping because she was giving more than she could afford to the kittens and John still had to supplement the mother's milk with kitten formula.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 8, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Valentina is really starting to get her tortie colouring in and is getting more adorable by the moment :3:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

I had them lined up and nursing, but screwed up because I'm not familiar with the way screen shots worked in Mint. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flashback time! Einstein of Scientist Kittens.

Yes, the tail is coming along nicely.

jump
Nov 12, 2006

I'm just a cat,
and I'm doing cat stuff.
What!
Hello GBS, I hope this isn't a derail or anything but I have had a thread going in the pet forum for a while now about a kitten I found recently. It's full of pictures and videos if anyone needs moar kittenz.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529874&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

jump posted:

Hello GBS, I hope this isn't a derail or anything but I have had a thread going in the pet forum for a while now about a kitten I found recently. It's full of pictures and videos if anyone needs moar kittenz.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529874&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

OMG, he's cute. Love the long face on your avatar. :)

My Dad Has a Log
Apr 21, 2005

Just checked the seal pup one. An eagle was there and flew away, then a raven began nibbling at a dead pup. Oh, nature.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

My Dad Has a Log posted:

Just checked the seal pup one. An eagle was there and flew away, then a raven began nibbling at a dead pup. Oh, nature.

I should probably remove that one. :D

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

My Dad Has a Log posted:

This is like Dunkirk all over again.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SpannerX posted:

I should probably remove that one. :D

Yeah it's not live any more. That's a 2-hr long recording.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Attack!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Looks like Yuri's eyes are starting to come in.

Has John talked about when he's opening the cage? Not before Pavel and Boris can walk, I'd guess?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Looks like Yuri's eyes are starting to come in.

Has John talked about when he's opening the cage? Not before Pavel and Boris can walk, I'd guess?

Last thing I read, which was yesterday, was about litter training, and it was mentioned in there about how long it'll take to do it, and the method involves opening the door to the cage.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
"Purrfect Pals and I have been receiving multiple emails concerning how Boris & Pavel are having issues walking with their hind-legs, aka frog-legged. Rest assured that they will out-grow it and will be just fine. "

:ughh: One of the reasons the first thing I do after opening the stream is hiding the chat.

SpannerX posted:

Last thing I read, which was yesterday, was about litter training, and it was mentioned in there about how long it'll take to do it, and the method involves opening the door to the cage.

One of the kittens peed in the upper right corner earlier, momma was licking it at one point. :gonk: Is that what they just do for now? I know the mother will lick them to "make them go", but beyond that it's a mystery.

I reckon John will open the cage sometime next week. They're already starting to climb the walls.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Metanaut posted:

One of the kittens peed in the upper right corner earlier, momma was licking it at one point. :gonk: Is that what they just do for now? I know the mother will lick them to "make them go", but beyond that it's a mystery.

I reckon John will open the cage sometime next week. They're already starting to climb the walls.

The peeing in the corner is part of their litter training. He doesn't change the towel right away because he wants the scent to make them all pee in one place. Once the cage door is open he leaves it open so they can still pee in there but ht puts the litter box so they have to walk over it to get in the cage, and eventually they start going just in the litter box, around the same time they start eating solid food and actually pooping.

I think they will out be sometime next week too, one of the things he's looking for is their ability to "track" with their eyes and coordinate their back legs with their front legs, which they're close to doing already. Their brakes usually start working only after they've been out in the room for a while

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Yup. And the little ginger one, Yuri, took after his namesake and became the first man in space kitten to escape.

13:15 or thereabouts on the camera. He climbs up to the upper ledges, stomps about a bit and then mama gives him an undignified shove back down onto the lower levels again (excellent crash landing, definite 9.0 out of 10).

Little dude is gonna be trouble.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Metanaut posted:

Yeah he just talked about it a while ago, saying once they can scamper across the cage to him faster than he can return them to the back wall, they're ready for the big playground.

Irisi posted:

13:15 or thereabouts on the camera. He climbs up to the upper ledges, stomps about a bit and then mama gives him an undignified shove back down onto the lower levels again (excellent crash landing, definite 9.0 out of 10).

He almost made it several times today. Valentina is climbing like crazy too, so John's gonna have some fun times with this litter.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Metanaut posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that it was a survival instinct for the mother to ingest kitten waste, helps hide the litter by having fewer smells to be caught by predators in the wild. Dunno if that's actually why they do it, but it makes some sense.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

That... I don't know what to think about that.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Irisi posted:

Yup. And the little ginger one, Yuri, took after his namesake and became the first man in space kitten to escape.

Little dude is gonna be trouble.
He was also the first to try and make a break for it during a human visit/weigh-in session. Kid's gonna provide some entertainment, that's for sure.

Today's escape attempt has been posted up on the livestream page as a separate video so that it doesn't get lost when the feed does the daily rollover. Yuri's ascent begins around the 8-minute mark, he achieves orbit about a minute later, and re-entry begins at the 20-minute mark.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Onean posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that it was a survival instinct for the mother to ingest kitten waste, helps hide the litter by having fewer smells to be caught by predators in the wild. Dunno if that's actually why they do it, but it makes some sense.

Yeah, Mother Dogs will do it too. I believe it's a combination of what you said, and moms just being moms and cleaning up after their kids.. so to speak.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yuri is continuing the proud Kitten Cam tradition of being adorable in the weigh in bowl:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Three cats one cup:

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003
Awww the first one out the cage was the chickenfish. All the kittens slept through the grand opening.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

But they're out and playing now. The small tree thing with the balls hanging from it is out now too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watching the twin boys run around at high speed now they have the space whilst trying to keep their problematic back legs under control is hilarious.

Oh lord, none of them have figured out the idea of watching where they're going, so they keep running into things.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 20, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seems like this is a new bunch of kittens in Florida, Pet Collective pointed to here, I don't think they are going to be doing any kittens for a while.Which sucks, since I liked the discos. :(

Edit: Pic

Hmm, they are called the Catstronaut kittens, Oh oh. :D

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 20, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Cosmos got a water bowl. Apparently Val stuck her nose in, got wet and sneezy, and decided the logical response was to hiss and try to beat it up. :pseudo:

Torties.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 21, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MikeJF posted:

The Cosmos got a water bowl. Apparently Val stuck her nose in, got wet and sneezy, and decided the logical response was to hiss and try to beat it up. :pseudo:

Torties.

Here's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGLBgov4bk

Oh Valentina :kimchi:

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Do you know about what time on that video Valya starts getting sneezy? It's 18 minutes long and I can't find it by skipping aroung.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Go to 5:50 for sneezy time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutter
Nov 20, 2004
I can't even afford 10 fucking dollars.
These pictures are about a week old.

Boris or Pavel (I laugh every single time):

Yuri :3

I used to participate in the chat once in awhile and now I try my best to ignore it. People are getting creepier and creepier. John has the patience of a saint though and doesn't discourage people from constantly informing him when every tiny thing happens. I got tired of the constant stream of "OMG THEIR BACK LEGS AREN'T WORKING. CONTACT JOHN IMMEDIATELY"

• Locked thread