Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
:siren::siren: MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE CONFIRMED FOR WESTERN RELEASE 2015 :siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-5ZKoUKxw

Hunting Monsters: Something Capcom keeps forgetting some people outside of Japan like to do

The Tri Expansion finally hits western shores over a year later. Features online play or portable play! (You have to pay full price for both though)

Join us on IRC! #monsterhunter @ irc.synirc.net

:siren: Join the IRC/PM or IM one another if you want to organize games, please stop posting your PSN/Friend Codes/(A/S/L) in the thread in a vain attempt at organizing a group to play with, it's spammy and doesn't really do much!! :siren:

Monster Hunter is an Action-RPG series developed and published by Capcom. The aim of the game is to hunt the biggest and most dangerous game, so that you can make ridiculous equipment out of it and take on even scarier creatures. You can play alone or with up to 3 other manly men or busty babes. Worried village elders or the esoteric Hunter's Guild will send you out on dangerous missions, with little in way apart from what you bring yourself, to kill these incredible beasts.

Often equated to the Phantasy Star Online series, this game really only shares the 4-player action game aspect. There are no levels or other such nonsense. A high-ranked player survives largely on skill alone, and the difference between newbie and high-level armor is the ability to soak up maybe 2-3 extra hits before dying. Also, you can get hurled off of a mountain and not take any falling damage, which is pretty hilarious to watch.

• There are no 'levels' in Monster Hunter. You unlock additional content by "ranking up" by completing specific missions, which are generally increasingly more difficult hunts.
  • Hunting a monster is not limited to just killing it dead, you can also capture it when it is weak by using a trap and tranquilizers. This will usually result in even more parts obtained.
  • Equipment is crafted by using monster parts that you gather by hunting them or finding them in the field.
  • Increasing your Defense is done by making higher rank armors, however this will not stop you from dying often against the later monsters.
  • Armor Skills. Each piece of armor has a few points of specific skills, once you get enough points from your armor, they will activate. These are the real tools of the hunt. They vary from anything simple like "attack up" to incredibly useful utilities like "auto tracker" or "speed sharpening".
  • There are 12 different weapons (8 in Tri) to utilize. All of the melee weapons have a "sharpness" rating, which degrades as you use it. It must be restored by stopping to sharpen the weapon. Ranged weapons use ammunition.
  • There is a kitchen (every game that isn't mhp3) or a spa (mhp3) for use. Combining certain foods/drinks will result in different buffs that will carry over into the missions. You can also acquire specific skills through this method that you usually couldn't otherwise (such as a skill that causes bombs to get bigger, or a skill that makes you able to fall from infinite height and not flinch).
  • Missions are timed. The general limit is 50 minutes, however special instances have a shorter limit. If you don't complete your objective in this time, you fail.
  • You have limited lives. If you die 3 times, you fail the mission. In very special instances, you are only allowed a single death.

First Generation:

Monster Hunter
The original game, for PS2. Attacks were controlled with the second analog stick, camera movement with the d-pad, and one of those few games with online play (probably the best on the console).
NA release date: September 2004
PAL release date: May 2005

Monster Hunter Freedom
The PSP port of the original game's JP-only "expansion", for hunting on the go! Features local ad-hoc multiplayer and everything the original had.
NA/PAL release date: May 2006

Second Generation:

Monster Hunter Dos
The sequel to the original, never released outside of Japan. The maps were redone, more online quests added, and a boatload of new monsters introduced to the series.
JP release date: Feburary 2006

Monster Hunter Freedom 2
The PSP port of the second game, because it's a much better game than the first was. However, it's been rendered obsolete by its sequel...
NA release date: August 2007
PAL release date: September 2007

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Original Thread)
The "compilation" game of Gen 2, just how Ultimate is the Gen 3 compilation. Features all of the monsters up until that point plus several new additions, totaling a massive 57 boss creatures to hunt. If you want to get into the series and have a PSP, this is the title to invest in.
NA/PAL release date: June 2009

Current Generation:

Monster Hunter Tri (Original Thread)
The console reboot of the series. Much of the content has been shaved down or redone entirely. Features far fewer boss monsters and equipment, but looks gorgeous. The game's online servers have been taken down as of Ultimate's release, so High Rank content and the online bosses are no longer accessible.
NA/PAL release date: April 2010

(Original Thread)
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
The 3rd gen PSP/PS3 title, continues where Tri left off by once again retooling how various weapons function and introducing new monsters. If you're not satisfied between Unite and Tri, this is the next stop. Check the original thread for fan translation links and other assorted info.
JP release date (PSP): December 2010
JP release date (PS3): August 2011

/
:siren: Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate :siren:
Just like Freedom Unite, this is where 3rd Gen will make its final stop, with every monster ever made for 3rd Gen being included plus some extras. 50 total bosses are to be found in this installment. The WiiU version can be played directly online and the 3DS version supports either local play or tunneled online play via a WiiU Console.
JP release date (3DS): December 2011
JP release date (WiiU): December 2012
NA/PAL release date (Both): March 2013

Other:

Monster Hunter Frontier
The PC MMO of the series. Currently only running in various asian countries (Taiwan, Japan, Korea), it features huge lobbies, a pseudo-leveling system, ludicrous amounts of gear, new maps, and its own set of exclusive beasts (on top of everything that isn't exclusive to MHFU/3rd Generation), totaling at well over 60 different boss monsters to hunt. Play long enough and you'll gain access to completely redone versions of many of the boss monsters, shooting the unique hunt count to over 100. Hangame has forfeited the contract to publish the game in Korea, so it is closed down. That means if you want to play the MMO, you're going to have to pay to play either the Chinese or Japanese version. The amount of grinding makes this game a joke despite the huge content well. Not recommended, even if you can actually gain access and pay for it.

Hey guys: If I like games like PSO, will I enjoy the MH series?
It depends, whilst MH is often likened to PSO, the resemblance is really only structural. The actual gameplay is quite different, so it's best to try things out for your self. Rental outlets still exist, right?

HOW DO I MOVE THE CAMERA WHILE ALSO MOVING MY DUDE?! :byodood:
With THE CLAW, my friend.

So, none of my friends own a PSP/Monster Hunter (and are giant chumps), how do I play with other people?
You will either require a PS3 with a wired [ethernet] connection, or a specific sort of router/wifi card/dongle. If you have the former, look up Ad-Hoc Party. If you do not, you will require the latter and a program called Xlink-Kai. Once you do, you will need to figure out how to set it up. I (mostly) know how to handle both setups, so if you have any questions join the IRC (#monsterhunter @ irc.synirc.net). The Unite OP has a little more information on Kai, but it'll be archived sooner or later. If you have a CFW-enabled PSP (or just want to skip out on the adapter mess), you can use an alternative method (if this link dies, the plugin is called "Adhoc2USB" or "Adhoc to USB" [also note that the link is for a GEN/Prometheus build of A2U, if you are on PRO CFW you will need to search the homebrew thread for the updated version]) that only requires a USB cable! If you don't have a CFW-enabled PSP, check out the homebrew thread.

Can I play with people from different regions in Ultimate's online?
Yes! The game will support cross-region online play.

Where do I find X in Monster Hunter Y?
If you're playing Unite, check here or here.
If you're playing Tri, check here.
If you're playing Portable 3rd, check here.
If you're playing Tri Ultimate, check here.

Do I kill it, or capture it?
A timeless question. 90% of the time, the answer is "unless you can only get it from carving, you should capture the monster". Capturing results in more rewards overall and generally takes less time.

Which weapon is the best?
They're all good in their own regard! Pick your favorite.

For other questions about the games, try one of these:

Monster Hunter Wikia

Minegarde
(Great FAQs in their forums)

Emalde fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate

It's about time we got a new Monster Hunter. This game is Tri, only way better. This is worth buying a WiiU for, trust me.

New to Ultimate:
  • A bunch of new monsters! There's bears, armordillos, giant sand fish (with stupid names), and a bunch of different colored versions of the monsters you had already come to know and love hate.
  • Returning elements! There are some monsters from the older games that have been brought back, as well as all of the weapons that Tri had previously dropped.
  • Some new areas! Also, the old areas have been revised to suit the gameplay.
  • G-Rank, a rank beyond High.
  • Free Hunting has been expanded to include High Rank monsters during the night time.
  • The new flagship monster has introduced a new element: Slime. This is basically a bomb coating, after enough hits there is a small explosion at the strike point.
  • Cha-Cha has a buddy now. Yay?
  • Way too many things to keep listing.

:siren: MOTHER loving CHARM TABLES :siren:

So here's the deal. In Ultimate, the kinds of charms you have access to are based upon a table that you are assigned upon character generation. This is super important, because there are several tables which are hosed and have worthless garbage, and a couple are even so bad as to not have access to rustshards. Do NOT gently caress around with this, even if you have no idea what I'm talking about, at the very least avoid the ones without rustshards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIIJ9PkXRik
WATCH THIS poo poo READ THE DESCRIPTION ON THE YOUTUBE PAGE YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO gently caress AROUND WITH THIS

:siren: THE TABLES TO ABSOLUTELY AVOID ARE 12 AND 16! THESE DO NOT HAVE RUSTSHARDS!! :siren:

Cursed tables (lovely charm pools): 11, 12, 15, 16, 17

Best Tables: 10 is the very best, 3 would be the second best "general" table.

Link to an application with all possible charm combinations listed.

How to manipulate your Table:
  • Disable your internet/router/wifi settings.
  • Set your time/date to January 21, 2012.
  • Get a stopwatch/timer ready, set it for 2 minutes plus however many seconds (see next step).
  • Determine what table you want with the list above, and then set your system clock to 2 minutes before the appropriate time listed below (24 hour clock, so 00:10 is 12:10 AM, etc):
    code:
    HH:MM:SS
    T1 00:14:11~13
    T2 02:14:39~42
    T3 00:11:28~30
    T4 00:05:47~49
    T5 00:56:43~45
    T6 00:42:17~20
    T7 01:43:58~01
    T8 09:25:48~51
    T9 07:09:58~01
    T10 00:14:43~45
    T13 00:07:46~48
    T14 00:17:02~05

• Start the timer
  • Boot the game up
  • Hover over the "NEW GAME" option
  • As soon as time is up, confirm the selection
You should be good to go, play along until you can send out the woman for fishing hauls and check your results with this.

Does this game even have a manual?
Press the home button before launching the game properly to access it on 3DS/WiiU.

General Mechanics Quick-Reference
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=414186763

Which quests do I need to do to unlock more quests?
Check for the starred quests on the pages here.

Is there some way to increase my health/stamina?
Before each mission, either talk to the cat chef in the village or when online, or have a seat at the lunch tables when online.

Where the gently caress are all of the mining/bug spots?
Check this out.

What are the hunting horn songs?
Check here.

Does it support cross-region play? [REQUIRES APRIL 2013 PATCH]
Yep! After the patch on April 16, you can play with people with different regions when online. U br?

Can I play it on the WiiU gamepad? [REQUIRES APRIL 2013 PATCH]
Sure can! Once the game has patched on April 16.

How do I play online with my 3DS?
You need to own a WiiU console. [more information to come]

How do I transfer my save file from WiiU to 3DS and back?
[someone help i have no idea]

How do I make the text not look like poo poo in the 3DS version?
Either play with 3D enabled, or go through the options menu in-game and disable 3D entirely.

What do I do with "VE Tickets"?
You trade them to the little old red dude who you can find waddling around in every map. Check the list here.

I just got to G-Rank and everything is killing me dead, what do I do?!
get good scrub.
You can start by either farming up Goldbeard Set (conqueror seals can be obtained easily from the Jaggi+Volvidon mission)

OR

Shepard also has made this thing that will help make it easier for you without goldbeard, but it's still not really as easy as mindlessly farming goldbeard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-sd6iD3DkQ

Gem/Mantle drop rates suck! What do I do?
Do these missions: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66027135

How do I unlock the other G-rank subspecies?
  • Gold/Silver Raths - HR8
  • Lucent Nargacuga - HR40
  • Abyssal Lagiacrus - HR70
  • Hallow Jhen Mohran - Capture at least 1 of every normal/sub/rare species, excluding Elder Dragons and Abyssal Lagiacrus, and clear Alatreon [Unlocked by completing every Village Quest] in single player.

Where is that program that makes armor sets for me?
Athena's rear end or MHAG

Charm Farming is boooorrrring!
Yeah, it is. Not much you can do about it. If you're a super sperg, this post could help.

12 weapon types in all for you to mess around with. There generally isn't a "best" style, so check out the videos (coming soon) and see which you prefer!

Sword and Shield

Mostly unchanged from Tri, this small weapon may look like it's weak (and to be honest, they are), but it makes up for it with near unmatched speed as well as the ability to both block and use items with the weapon drawn. Best utilized as a means of dealing heavy amounts of elemental or status damage.

Dual Swords

We missed these guys in Tri. However, they have been completely reworked. Dual Swords are now better than ever, with a set of new dodges and attacks that aren't "spin around in stupid circles" when not demonizing. This weapon is all about ridiculous offense. You sacrifice any sort of defense and regular evasion techniques to go balls-to-the-wall with these. Easily the fastest weapon, on top of a large amount of multi-hit combos and a special power called 'demon dance' (or 'demonize') that gives you even crazier (and far more powerful) combos, this weapon is all about finding an in and never giving the monster any peace. Using the demon dance with these puppies causes a new spirit gauge to build up, and as long as there is energy stored, all of your un-demonized attacks deal extra damage!

Long Sword

Unchanged from Tri, the long sword is exactly what it sounds like. Has the mobility of the Sword and Shield with the range of the Great Sword. Hitting a monster with it causes your spirit gauge to fill, which can be unleashed in a flurry of attacks with increased power. Everybody will hate you if you use this weapon poorly as your spamfest causes everybody else to trip constantly. Ultimate has made the spirit gauge less stupid.

Great Sword

Still the big powerhouse of the complete arsenal. Big, slow, and incredibly powerful. A giant sword that you can combo your swings with until your arms fall off, or use as a body-sized shield against oncoming attacks at the cost of your sword's durability. They remain mostly unchanged from Tri, including the various slaps that would cause knock-out damage against monsters that would execute mid-combo. Not a simple weapon by any means, not recommended for beginners to the game.

Switch Axe

Unchanged from Tri, the switch axe is like an amalgamation of the best traits from all of the high-damage weapons. You have great sword-esque attack power, long sword-esque attack speed, a pseudo-wyvern fire function ala gunlance, the side-stepping dodges of a lance, and the rolls of regular weapons in addition to quicker recovery from heavy attacks. Like the gunlance, this weapon is difficult to master but manages to look incredibly stylish when used properly.

Lance

Holding closer to the Unite style of combat with only a few of Tri's improvements, Lance still remains the best class for avoiding damage of any kind. You can hardly move when wielding the weapon, but most anything can be blocked head-on and much better than with a Sword and Shield or Great Sword. On top of this heavily defense-oriented fight style, Lances also have the advantage of being able to break monster parts that require impact damage or cut off tails and anything else that requires cutting damage.

Gunlance

A returning celebrity from Unite, Gunlances have been heavily changed. Normal attacks and functions are near identical to lance, with stabs and blocks (no guard advance though), however they are much more offense-oriented than the lance. The aim of the game is to stay in the monster's face and lay on the hurt with your arsenal of combos and gunfire. Most all of the traditional attacks they had (running stabs, guarding stabs, gun fire) are back, including the infamous Wyvern Fire function that bowguns were given in Tri. On top of all of the old attacks, Gunlances are capable of some new tricks. If you attack with a normal lateral 3-hit combo, the third attack will instead be the hunter slamming the entire gunlance down, causing impact and knock-out damage. If you decide to fire your gunlance after this combo, you will spray out the entire load of chambered shots in shotgun-fashion. On top of that, the weapon also allows you to fire the non stop and quick-reload after each shot fired.

Hammer

Nearly unchanged from Tri, Hammer is the king of knock outs and heavy impact damage. You move slightly slower with it wielded and don't have much for closing range (however, a new attack allows you to slide forward a great distance when you've partially charged the hammer), but you do crazy amounts of damage and if done right, the monster will spend half of the fight dizzy because you kept hitting it in the face. Ultimate has made it so all hits deal KO damage.

Hunting Horn

Hunting Horn is the main 'support' weapon, allowing you to buff your party with various effects depending on what the horn is. Moderately fast attacks allow you to rack up the damage and allow you to store music notes to play out at any time in the middle of combat to quickly buff yourself and party. Hunting Horn buffs allow you and your party to do many things otherwise not usually possible, such as moving at top speed while wielding it, being able to hit monsters and not bounce off if your sharpness is too low, having roar/earthquake/damage resistance, increased attack, and other widely-applicable effects.

Light & Heavy Bowguns

Returning in their old-style fashion of being premade guns that chamber specific numbers of specific shots, they keep their other Tri improvements such as dodges and new shot types (wyvernfire, slicing, exhaust).
Light Bowguns are more evade-oriented, focusing on firing rapidfire volleys of bullets without being hit. The new LBG feature being able to change out the rapid fire function for the ability to reload all of your ammo types at once.
Heavy Bowguns are cannon-esque, especially with a new function that allows the user to kneel down and never have to reload. Heavy Bowguns can be equipped with shields that allow them to tank hits from certain attacks without needing to try and dodge with the reduced movespeed.

Bow & Arrows

A returning weapon from the older days, the bow has had some upgrades applied. Arrows can be fired from a fair distance normally, however, now bow users can fire from even longer distances by shooting straight up and having the arrows rain down on the target like that scene from 300. On top of the new attacks, bows have also received a couple of new coatings such as Exhaust coating (causes monster stamina to drain faster) and Blast coating (bomb arrows!)

A giant picture with almost all of the monsters from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (click for big)

A giant picture with nearly all of the monster from Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate (open in new tab for big)

Some Monsters of the 1st & 2nd Generations:

Yian Kut-Ku

Khezu

Shogun Ceanataur

Congalala

Lavasioth

Kirin

Kushala Daora

A few monsters from 3rd generation:

Gobul

Barioth

Uragaan

Deviljho (EVIL JOE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI75zyCLCG0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPr-9ahXgCI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSUxpDLkMM

Emalde fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 26, 2014

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Love the tag.

So excited to be hunting monsters again!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Carrying on some discussion from the previous thread, subquests had a handful of uses. One of the main uses was for farming break parts, particularly things like Barioth Claw+s, or Majestic/Stout Horns, where you could get the break, and subquest out without needing to fight a full monster.
It also had uses in some of the gathering quests, like the Roll the Uroktor quest. While you could kill all the Uroktors, you could also just kill a fewer number of rhenoplos or deliver a powderstone.

While they aren't the most useful thing, that's not to say they're without good use.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

See I never even really used them to end a quest early. I just liked the concept of "while you're out there, also do these things for extra rewards." Especially when the subquests were things likely to happen naturally over the course of the quest anyway, and double especially for quests to break/cut monster parts. It was really nice to go in to a quest where I needed to hunt a monster, cut off its tail, get carves from the tail, capture it, and end up with three tails - one from the carve, one from the cap and one from the subquest.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Am I awful if I don't care about charm tables? Ultimately I really don't care about minmaxing.

Also tomorrow. Tomorrow the magic is happening. Don't disappoint me capcom store.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Rustshard weapons are really good. You should probably at least care about that.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Rustshard weapons are really good. You should probably at least care about that.

Aren't they just ultimately weapons with dragon elements that get outclassed in G rank? I just want to kill monsters :effort:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I plan on getting a Wii U next week partly because I'm interested in trying out Monster Hunter, is there anything a first-timer to the series should know?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I used my Epitaph Greatsword all the way to Alatreon in Tri. I'm sure each one will be able to compete in high end G Rank. I don't know if they've done significant changes to them to make them obsolete or anything but I remember every one I got being really good.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm gonna miss subquests as well. I liked the extra objectives. No big loss though, still tremendously excited for the game.

Edit:

Silento posted:

I plan on getting a Wii U next week partly because I'm interested in trying out Monster Hunter, is there anything a first-timer to the series should know?

Be very patient with the beginning of the game. It starts slow, and it may take a little bit for the game to click with you. Try out lots of weapons. It may appear that some of them are terrible, but this is not the case.

At some point (usually towards the end of low rank in my experience) everything suddenly makes sense and you'll be hooked.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 18, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Silento posted:

There's a LOT a first-timer to the series should know, and a lot of it probably won't be told to you by the game itself. It would probably be easier to tell you to watch a few videos and then ask some questions than to try to list out everything I think you should know, though.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All I want is a drat charm that gives me an automatic +10 in a skill like evasion. :colbert: Can this charm table shenanigans give me that?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Re: charm tables

Was this bullshit ever in Tri? Why would they make completely screwing you out of rust shards a thing?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyNaLPrk5s

IGN review.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

yellowcar posted:

Was this bullshit ever in Tri? Why would they make completely screwing you out of rust shards a thing?

Well you see Capcom blah blah blah they're bad

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
I just called my local GameStop and they confirmed that I would be able to pick of my copy of MH3U at the GoW midnight release. I'm going to attempt the 3DS charm table rigging trick on my Wii U copy and will report back with my results once I have them. I have all of next week off for spring break and my travel plans fell through at the last minute so late night MH poopsocking seems to be the new plan.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

yellowcar posted:

Charm Tables are actually just the game's RNG seed, it seems. For some reasin, Tri Ultimate changed the seed from being selected at the game's startup to instead being linked to the character generation.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If anyone's coming to the thread with no MH experience after playing the demo on 3DS/WiiU and realizing "this demo is organized horribly for beginners," here is an extremely extensive Demo Guide that a GameFAQs forum user wrote.

Also don't forget you can access the manual using the Home Button on WiiU or before you launch the demo on 3DS. And ask any questions about it in here. Welcome!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Did you ever think "Boy this pokemon game is interesting, but I wish I could grab a really big hammer and beat the poo poo out of this charizard instead of telling an electric rat to do stuff" this is the game for you.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Emalde posted:

Join us on IRC! #monsterhunter @ irc.synirc.net

:siren: Join the IRC/PM or IM one another if you want to organize games, please stop posting your PSN/Friend Codes/(A/S/L) in the thread in a vain attempt at organizing a group to play with, it's spammy and doesn't really do much!! :siren:

Emphasizing this. All you new and old hunters PLEASE don't hesitate to hang out in IRC. Ask questions, make fun of people for putting their traps down right before the monster leaves the area, forge battle bonds with other nerds that share your love of killing monsters and using their parts to kill more monsters.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Nechronic posted:

Emphasizing this. All you new and old hunters PLEASE don't hesitate to hang out in IRC. Ask questions, make fun of people for putting their traps down right before the monster leaves the area, forge battle bonds with other nerds that share your love of killing monsters and using their parts to kill more monsters.

I've never hunted with other goons, but if the game uses your nintendo id whatever, could we get a spreadsheet with codes going too? That'd be pretty swell and would make it evenv easier.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Seriously do not gently caress around with charm tables, the cursed ones are so broken it sounds like a glitch, but hasn't been fixed in the year or so the game has been out in Japan. Bad charm tables have anywhere between 216-800 possible charms, and proper ones have 21,600.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Boco_T posted:

If anyone's coming to the thread with no MH experience after playing the demo on 3DS/WiiU and realizing "this demo is organized horribly for beginners," here is an extremely extensive Demo Guide that a GameFAQs forum user wrote.

Also don't forget you can access the manual using the Home Button on WiiU or before you launch the demo on 3DS. And ask any questions about it in here. Welcome!

Much obliged for this faq. Played a bit of Tri back then but hadn't touched much Monster Hunter before or since until the demo. Have it coming in but I know i'm gonna need pretty much a reintroduction to everything again.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Reoxygenation posted:

I've never hunted with other goons, but if the game uses your nintendo id whatever, could we get a spreadsheet with codes going too? That'd be pretty swell and would make it evenv easier.

The IRC room has a system where you set your friend code with the command !setfc and look up other's by using the "!fc <name>" command so a spreadsheet would be kind of redundant unless you like adding a million friend codes at once instead of just one person you're trying to find. I assume once you're in game with one person you can add other people to your friends list through an in game interface.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Reginald Bathwater posted:

Seriously do not gently caress around with charm tables, the cursed ones are so broken it sounds like a glitch, but hasn't been fixed in the year or so the game has been out in Japan. Bad charm tables have anywhere between 216-800 possible charms, and proper ones have 21,600.

This sounds absolutely hosed, and I am surprised that this flew.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Nechronic posted:

The IRC room has a system where you set your friend code with the command !setfc and look up other's by using the "!fc <name>" command so a spreadsheet would be kind of redundant unless you like adding a million friend codes at once instead of just one person you're trying to find. I assume once you're in game with one person you can add other people to your friends list through an in game interface.

Thanks for the information - when I get to use a real computer I'll make sure to drop by with whatever code is required for ultimate!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So wait, are all Monster Hunter games proper going to be Nintendo exclusives? Or is there any word that future versions might come out on the next gen consoles? :)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
MH4 is slated for the 3DS, but that's all we know at this point.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is Kut-ku in TriU?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
No, but he is in MH4, along with a number of other old monsters, like Gypceros, Congalala, Gendrome, and Khezu.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
I couldn't be happier that a gears of war release gets us a midnight release for MH3U :D. Only have to slog through one more day!

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I have ordered my CPPXL from japan, drat that thing looks sleek.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You lucky bastards in the US get everything early. 3 days more have never felt longer.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ignimbrite posted:

You lucky bastards in the US get everything early. 3 days more have never felt longer.

We've waited a year. Speaking of waiting, still pissed about no midnight release in the e shop, because an hour before the announcement I had bought a 50 dollar points card. So now I can't even just go pick it up in a store.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Reoxygenation posted:

There is a wiiU thread with a list of IDs and what games you are playing (the wiiU community is rather small). IRC seems like the most logical though. I know there a pretty large number of goons that hate getting on IRC because they can't figure it out for whatever reason. IRC isn't too hard and there are now java rooms that someone can just link that will plop you into the room withe everyone.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
It may be worth listing in the OP the way you can use the system time when creating a new game to rig which charm table you're on (3DS only so far).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65690088/737707529

Gamefaqs post posted:

-I started by closing out all software running on my 3DS.
-I toggled off the wifi switch
-I went into settings -> other settings -> set date for 1/21/2012 -> Ok -> Set time -> 00:12 (I was unsure about timing so wanted to give myself lots of time) I hit "Start" on my stop watch at the instant I hit "Okay" for setting the time. I wanted to give myself an extra minute.
-I opened up MH3U as a fresh program from my home screen, it was not running in the background.
-I pressed A to skip the intro movie, and A to advance to the main menu screen
-There are 4 options, New Game, Continue, DLC, Options
-I positioned my cursor on "New Game"
-I waited until my stop watch showed 2:43, then pressed my "A" button with New Game selected
-It then brings you to "Create your character"
-Created my character at a leisurely pace, started game, talked with Elder/etc, went into the house, slept/saved and quit out of the game.
-Entirely closed out of the game from the home screen.
-Went into settings, set my clock/date back to what it should be, turned wifi back on.
-Proceeded up until the guild quest for getting guts (followed the speed guide for suggestions)
-Sent boat out using power paddle and target was Moga Coast
-Put results into the .de calculator
-Confirmed I was on T10 first shot

And from SocialDissonance in the last MH thread:

quote:

1) Turn off wi-fi (slide the WIRELESS button)
2) Set date to January 21st, 2012
3) Set the clock to 00:13:00, start your stopwatch right when you touch OK
4) Open the game and go to the “create new character” menu – you must confirm that you indeed want to start a new character by letting go off the A button when the clock hits 00:14:44

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Since we have a new thread and a new game upcoming, I'm gonna do a quick weapon writeup for complete newcomers to the series.

Note for all weapons: For most weapons and default controls, X is your "primary attack" and A is your "secondary" attack, which doesn't get used much on most weapons. R is the weapon's special feature, like blocking. Also of note is that you can roll to cancel the recovory animations of many weapons, like the hammer pound and greatsword charge.

Sword and Shield is your basic melee weapon, although in Tri Ultimate you'll start with one of each weapon class so can try them all. This weapon is all about staying mobile and delivering fast combos, but the raw damage isn't great. What the weapon really shines at is applying "effect on hit" things like elemental and status effects, and if your sword has the element your monster is weak to you'll easily be keeping pace with the other weapons. You can block attacks with your shield just fine, but as a rule it's better to dodge, and you have the unique ability of being able to use items without sheathing your weapon.

Greatsword is all about raw power. The downward slashes can be charged to do massive damage, so this weapon is all about finding the right moment to unleash massive pain. It can be very tricky to do if you're not familiar with the monster's movements, but so very satisfying when you land it just right. You can block attacks, but doing so will really damage your sharpness, so don't do it more than you have to.

Lance is the "tank" weapon, it's all about staying right up in the monster's face and blocking everything it can throw at you. Important things to note are that pressing A while guarding will send you into a counter stance and anything that attacks you during the next second or so will be blocked and counterattacked. This can be done during combos, although not after the 3rd hit. Rather than a roll like most weapons have, the lance has a backstep which can be chained up to 3 times. You can also do sidehops either after an attack or after another hop in any direction, again up to 3 times. It may seem worse than the roll, but once you get used to it it's very, very good for neatly stepping around an enemy attack and staying close to it, rather than having to roll and reposition yourself.

Hammer is all about burst damage and hit-and-run attacks. You can hold R to charge up your swing, which gets you a variety of attacks based on how long you hold it for. At max charge, moving will send you into a spinning attack, and hitting X at the right time will perform a massively powerful golf swing. Standing still will perform a superpound attack, which is less powerful but much easier to land and get away with. The basic combo also ends with the golf swing, so if you get a chance to use it safely, go for it! Also of note is that the hammer deals impact damage, which means that hitting the monster in the head enough will KO it and let you really bring the pain.

Dual Swords are the more aggressive cousin of the Sword and Shield. They're faster and flashier, but lose both the ability to guard and the ability to use items without sheathing. Rather than guarding, R will send you into "Demon Mode", which drains your stamina (the yellow bar) to make your combos longer and your damage higher. Attacks in this mode will fill the smaller bar underneath the staimina bar, and when that's full you get access to quick dashes rather than the normal roll, and can use both the dash and demon combos even outside of Demon Mode.

Longsword is sort of similar to the Dual Swords, in that it's the faster, more mobile version of the Greatsword. You move and attack much faster, but lose the powerful charged attacks and ability to block. The controls for this weapon are kind of weird, so bear with me. You have to use both the X and A buttons to keep a combo going, and X+A is the very important "fade slash", which is an attack combined with a jump in the direction of your choice. Normally you can only jump backwards, but while comboing you can also jump left or right with the control stick. Very, very handy for maneuvering around the monster. Attacks with the longsword will fill up the spirit gauge, while R will use the spirit gauge for a spirit combo. The last hit of the spirit combo is a powerful roundhouse, and hitting with it will buff up your damage, represented by an aura around the spirit gauge. This stacks through three levels (white, yellow, red), and each level will increase your damage.

Hunting Horns are one of the stranger and more complicated weapons. Like hammers, they're an impact weapon, so you can KO a monster with repeated hits to the head. You can also alternate A and X attacks to keep swinging left to right, which is a handy combo to remember. What makes this weapon unique is that every attack will play a note, which gets added to the musical scale under the HP bar. Pressing R will send you into recital mode which plays the notes, giving various buffs to you and your party members. You can tell when you have a viable note combo because it till be highlighted, and in the full game you'll have notes listing them all. In the demo, just experiment! Oh, and don't think that just because this is the closest thing Monster Hunter has to a "support" weapon that it must be weak - it actually does higher sustained damage than the hammer.

Switch Axe is a weird one. The basic mode is axe, which is slow and powerful, but more maneuverable than most weapons. After attacks you can sidestep like the lance, though only one and only left and right. Hitting R will transform the weapon into sword mode and back, which can also be dome after certain attacks in the combo for a fluid switch. In sword mode you move slower, but attacks are much faster and tend to hit above you, which is very nice for hitting soft underbellies. Hitting X+A and then mashing X while in sword mode will start a powerful burst attack, which is handy if the monster is open for it. Attacks in sword mode will drain the phial under the HP bars, while being in axe mode will slowly regenerate it. You can also manually reload your axe by trying to switch to sword mode when your phial is empty and saying "RELOAD".

Gunlance Is the slightly more aggressive, less defence-focused cousin of the normal lance. It retains the same blocking power and hops, but can't chain hops together. The combos for this weapon are incredibly complicated on paper, but much more simple when you actually try them out. X is your "lance" attacks, a two-hit combo ending with a powerful slam, while A is the "gun" part of the gunlance. Keep an eye on your ammo counter under the HP bars, but don't worry about actually running out, the only weapons that actually use an ammo stock are the bowguns. You can reload by either pressing A while guarding, pressing A after a hop, or pressing A after a shot, which will reload only one shell. Shots can be chained after most attacks, but trying it after the slam will fire all your shells in a powerful shotgun blast. Shelling attacks while holding R will charge the shot, making it slower but more powerful. Finally, the Wyvern's Fire attack is a gigantic blast of fire done by pressing X+A while guarding, or X+A after the slam to work it into a combo. It take a long time to charge, but the damage is worth it. It doesn't use any shells and instead has a cooldown of a few minutes, which is indicated by a steam hatch on the gunlance closing.

Bows, despite appearences, do not actually use ammo. They do have coatings, which can be changed using L+X/B, so play around with those to find one you like. Apart from that, attacks with the bow can be charged, which will change their properties. At max charge, the attack becomes a rains of arrows in an area. There's not a huge amount to say about this weapon, the controls for it are relatively simple compared to things like the gunlance, which is a plus for newbies.

Bowguns are the only weapons that actually require you to buy or make ammunition. And in general they are really, really complicated. I honestly haven't played with them enough to really give proper tips on these, but the basics are that light bowguns are much more mobile, while heavy bowguns pack more of a wallop. Individual bowguns can use different ammo types and different clip sizes, and ammo that's listed in red can be used with the bowgun's special fire mode. Light bowguns get rapid fire, while heavy bowguns get a seige mode that lets them fire without reloading at the cost of being unable to move.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Eh, I would argue that people overstate the complexity of bowguns. While the bowgun can certainly get complicated depending on what you want to do, I think there's a certain depth that exists for most weapons. Really, all you have to do is choose a few ammo types that the bowgun loads, and go into a quest and shoot the shots. Bring a bunch of fire shots and combines for Royal Ludroth, and you can disregard everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/monster_hunter_3_ultimate

quote:

The fact that your deeds and records in Port Tanzia translate across single player, local multiplayer and online also takes away the unnecessary grinding, and allows focus on moving to bigger monsters and challenges.

Am I getting this right? If I complete a quest online, the corresponding quest will also be completed offline? That would be very cool.

• Locked thread