Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Depending on how selling my car works out, I'm thinking about picking up one of those Fuji 6x9 rangefinders to use as a landscape camera for when I'm out on my motorcycle. I saw an older one at a shop for ~$200. Can anyone talk me out of it?

You didn't specify which 6x9 rangefinder, but I personally would want the GSW690. 90mm just isn't wide enough, but I use 65mm on 6x7 all the time.

edit: 90mm isn't wide enough for general landscapes use, anyway.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Depending on how selling my car works out, I'm thinking about picking up one of those Fuji 6x9 rangefinders to use as a landscape camera for when I'm out on my motorcycle. I saw an older one at a shop for ~$200. Can anyone talk me out of it?

For $200, as long as it isn't broken that's a must buy, imo.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
A bicycle shot that you've never seen before

new and exciting!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I picked up the Rolfix for $20 and put a roll of HP5 through it. The thing's a bit of a bitch to use (shooting indoors trying to guess focal distances while juggling an off camera flash), but I think it will work out quite well for landscapes.

One issue that I encountered was that if I plugged in a pc sync cord, it would fire my flash indiscriminately whenever the cable was jostled. It seemed to fire when it needed to as well, but I haven't seen that happen before.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 11, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Rubbish Bins, Pearl Centre, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

This is nice :q:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Well I tried the tintype on the weekend, without a lot of success. Lots of fogged/low contrast plates, which at the moment I'm thinking is due to the developer concentration being to high and also the temperature being too high (the last week has been loving hot down here). But hopefully I'll give it another crack this Sunday with a better understanding of the process (and it'll be 15C cooler).

Anyway, went to the photography market here in Melbourne (held twice a year) and found this big-rear end Schneider lens for $100:

All I really know about it, is that was made in the mid 70's, f-stop range 5.6-11 and no shutter. I'm gonna try mounting it on this 8x10 wetplate camera I'm restoring at some point, it's too big for the Speed Graphic.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

nerdz posted:

Hey, I'm from Brazil. Old post, but let me school you on some poo poo. You're not taking advantage of the fact that nobody in Brazil values old stuff like cameras. I got myself an yashica mat for $150 and a pristine pentax 6x7 for $300. Buy film on ebay from chinese dudes, at $7.50 per roll, free shipping. I buy around $100 of film and it's enough to last until the next package comes (around 1 month). I got my film scanner, HP G4050, for $250 new and it's pretty good and comes with the holders.

Also, you gotta take advantage of the fact that you can develop a roll for $1 in here. In the end, it ends up being cheaper than most places in the world.

EDIT: check this out, a perfectly working Yashica mat for $90: http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-466623857-cmera-yashica-mat-124-g-medio-formato-japo-_JM

You're not looking hard enough, bro.

Replying to an old post, but where the hell do you delevop for $1? Around here I can't find anything under U$4.

The 6x7 for 300 would be just the body right? When you add lenses and stuff like that, It goes quite higher. I'll admit I haven't payed much attention to TLRs on Mercadolivre (Brazilian's eBay equivalent), but any mats that looked in decent shape when I looked around where going for U$200 at least, which is too high for one of them.

I don't get your point on film, I'm paying less than that thru freestyle, even when you add shipping. And buying in germany was plain cheap.

I'll take the tip on the scanner, I've been looking for one. Does it do 120?

Anyways, I'm back from europe and those are the spoils

Forgive the lovely dark pic on top of a messy bed but eh, :effort:

europa 254 por primoitcho, no Flickr

Mint Pentacon six with 2.8/80mm Carl Zeiss Jena lenses
Also MINT Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16
Film filme film and Rodinal!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Primo Itch posted:

Replying to an old post, but where the hell do you delevop for $1? Around here I can't find anything under U$4.

Judging by the quoted post, Brazil.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

eggsovereasy posted:

Judging by the quoted post, Brazil.

Yeah. He was replying to one of my posts. I'm from Brazil also, but the cheapest I can find in my town is U$4.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Portra.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Cherisse by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Large format can be disgustingly beautiful sometimes.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Great shot! How was it lit, the light looks great!

Also I thought it was Jessica Alba for a split second.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Crop out that edge :mad:

You shot large format inside (what looks like) a Chinese restaurant? That's awesome.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Large format can be disgustingly beautiful sometimes.

This is great. Love the natural pose and love the lighting you got out of it.

Now for something ugly:

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 13, 2013

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Large format Film can be disgustingly beautiful sometimes.

Fixed for you, as I think film played a stronger role than large format. Nice shot, though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Santa is strapped posted:

Great shot! How was it lit, the light looks great!

Also I thought it was Jessica Alba for a split second.

Just an overhead fluorescent and the ambient light from a neon sign. It *is* possible to shoot LF with available light. Also, the restaurant is Ba Xuyen, a Banh Mi spot. Thanks y'all.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
4x5 sheet film is really expensive, right? I'm browsing for cleared-out-my-attic film lots on eBay, and I came across this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kodak-Panato...=item5aef107bb5

For posterity, a crappy screen-grab:

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

ExecuDork posted:

4x5 sheet film is really expensive, right? I'm browsing for cleared-out-my-attic film lots on eBay, and I came across this:

It was ISO 32 when it was made, so it should be, what, ISO 5 by now? I'd be all over that if I had a 4x5.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

I always love the "open box" film where the owner opened the box to take a picture.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I had no idea how this would really turn out when I took it but it turned out nicely in the end I think.

Rays of light by alkanphel, on Flickr

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
So, I did something that I've wanted to do for a very, very long time: I bought a Pentax 6x7. I've shot one roll and I have to say, wow, I have so very, very much to learn about medium format as a whole and the 6x7 in particular. There's a lot of little quirks that caught me by surprise because I assumed, hey, I'm great with a 35mm camera, this thing's just supersized, let's make it happen.

Not so fast.

1) The eye-level viewfinder is not glasses-friendly at all. Both because it's not rubberized and I'm afraid I'm going to gouge the everloving hell out of my lens, and because what I can see through the view finder from that little bit of extra distance is probably only 50% of the frame. I'l either have to remember this and adapt, get used to focusing without my glasses on, get contacts, or stick to the waist-level view finder.

2) The mirror is apparently quite startling and Laura blinking became a problem. I guess this comes down to warning people, or locking the mirror up after framing/focusing so that it's just the shutter when I actually release.

3) All my instincts for how far away I should be for a given framing have to adapt.

4) My garbage tripod looks like it's going to weep and then die with this monster on top.

5) My negative sleeves only hold nine 6x7 frames, but I get ten shots to a roll.

So, here's the best shot from the first of what (I hope) to be many, many rolls with my new friend.

Way too much headroom, and I should have shuffled a half step to my left so that the computer monitor in the background wasn't growing out of her head, but overall I'm super stoked at the potential. I feel like I just pulled a sword out of a rock.

On another note, I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my Flickr account again. I let it lapse years ago, not too long after they were bought by Yahoo, and a lot of my photos have been pushed off the back by the 200 photo limit. I'm trying to decide if that's a bad thing, or if I should use that as incentive to move forward/clean out some of the cruft.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I used gaffer tape to pad the edge of the VF on my Pentax 67 and haven't had any glasses gouging. BTW anyone that likes that photo should go to the classified thread and buy my P67. I need 4x5 film and beer money :argh:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-samurai posted:

I used gaffer tape to pad the edge of the VF on my Pentax 67 and haven't had any glasses gouging. BTW anyone that likes that photo should go to the classified thread and buy my P67. I need 4x5 film and beer money :argh:

This is what I did as well.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
So apparently you need about 800ml to cover 4x5 sheets in a Patterson tank. Should probably have checked that before trying my first development rather than after.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

So apparently you need about 800ml to cover 4x5 sheets in a Patterson tank. Should probably have checked that before trying my first development rather than after.

On the upside, you'll remember it for sure next time. How'd the pictures come out?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, don't think I'll make that mistake twice! Haven't scanned them yet, but other than the top quarter being blank I think they came out pretty well. I did a 1:100 Adonal easy mode stand develop, 60 minutes with agitation at the start and at 30 minutes, then a water stop and 1:39 Ilford Rapid Fix for 10 minutes. Contrast looks a little low, but I think they were probably half a stop underexposed in the first place.

Hopefully the weather will clear tomorrow and I can go outside and take some shots in half decent light.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
This would be better if it wasn't all crooked (or if it had an interesting subject/composition).

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

This would be better if it wasn't all crooked (or if it had an interesting subject/composition).

Nah, it's fine.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
I'm looking at picking up a 6x4.5 sometime soon, and I've spotted decent deals on a Bronica ETRSI and a ETRS. The ETRS is a little more, but has a metered finder, the ETRSi does not. Is there any real reason, mechanically, to lean one way or another? What issues should I beware of when examining them?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Finally got the tintypes working at home, first here is a shot of the laundry with all the crap laid out:

And here are a couple of shots that came out okay (worked out the developer was too hot last time):

They're a little messy due to a couple of not so great colloidion pours, and reusing cleaned plates from all the disasters the other week.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

I think it's great.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Trying out Provia 100F for portraiture, not too bad indeed I felt.

Danny Santos II by alkanphel, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Trying out Provia 100F for portraiture, not too bad indeed I felt.

Danny Santos II by alkanphel, on Flickr

I think Provia's great for portraiture. Nice shot!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

JSW2 posted:

I'm looking at picking up a 6x4.5 sometime soon, and I've spotted decent deals on a Bronica ETRSI and a ETRS. The ETRS is a little more, but has a metered finder, the ETRSi does not. Is there any real reason, mechanically, to lean one way or another? What issues should I beware of when examining them?

It's almost seen as heresy, but after shooting with non-metered bodies for so long, having a metered finder is awesome. I still carry my trusty L-308 most of the time, but sometimes it's nice to be able to just bring your camera and shoot without the added hassle.

The only really useful thing the ETRSi gives you - aside from being less old - is mirror lockup... helpful since Bonicas have some epic mirror slap going. The other stuff (TTL, bulb, etc) probably arent worth the extra $$.

As for what to look for - check the shutter speeds (on Bronicas, you have to switch it to multi exposure to dry fire), check the mirror flips up properly (since people seem to think they come loose fairly easily) and if you end up with the ETRS, double check that the winder still works properly.

I know Mannequin-hating is totally ON TREND right now, but I love your style.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 18, 2013

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

joelcamefalling posted:

I know Mannequin-hating is totally ON TREND right now

Yeah, in the first one there's some barrel distortion.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I really like how the sidewalk texture blurs to the background. Nice lines too with the curve of the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
home scanned portra

Aurora by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

• Locked thread