Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly the best tail weapon for the Thief is the Auto-Crossbow. Attacks everything on the field.

Killing the Flan Princess (seriously, who comes up with these translations) for the Pink Tail is supposed to be hard, but it was the second-easiest one to get for me.

Hm, ok. I'm on the Dancer chapter now and I'm trying to get Nacht's team up to speed. They are not nearly as buff as my Light Warrior team (who finished the Memorist chapter at around level 55). I feel like I'm using Dark Knight wrong as well. Enemies already hit so hard it seems foolish to use any of the Dark abilities. What am I missing there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is there any way to play an iOS game on a Windows PC? All this talk about Dimensions is making me want it, but I don't have an iPhone or an iPad and I don't want to shell out the money for one just to play a single game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Is there any way to play an iOS game on a Windows PC? All this talk about Dimensions is making me want it, but I don't have an iPhone or an iPad and I don't want to shell out the money for one just to play a single game.

It's also on Android, if you've got such a device.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Levantine posted:

Hm, ok. I'm on the Dancer chapter now and I'm trying to get Nacht's team up to speed. They are not nearly as buff as my Light Warrior team (who finished the Memorist chapter at around level 55). I feel like I'm using Dark Knight wrong as well. Enemies already hit so hard it seems foolish to use any of the Dark abilities. What am I missing there?

Dark Knight has one of the best abilities in the game at L7 in Backliner. It's a single-slot ability that allows the user to stay in the back row for damage mitigation yet still do front row damage. It also sounds like you could benefit to grind about five levels as well. Another thing that kind of hurts Dark Knight is that the weapons predominantly do Dark damage (obviously), and you're in the "Dark" world. They come into their own in dungeons.

Another piece of advice I can offer is to get your main guys L3 in Red Mage for the free +20% HP boost. It doesn't cost you anything but a small amount of time per character, and it helps keep your casters alive for the rest of the foreseeable future, especially in boss fights where they can get one-shotted without the buffer.

What's your party composition? I think in the Dancer arc I had Nacht as a L15 Warrior/L3 Red Mage/L7-10 Dark Knight, Glaive as a Red Mage/near-maxed Monk, Alba as a Black Mage/Summoner (a surprisingly loving effective combo in the mid-game as Summon spells are treated as regular damage magic), and Diana as the healer. I haven't even bothered with Bard/Dancer yet, as you can level super-fast in the pre-endgame, and don't even bother with Memorist. Ranger is only good for the end/post-game because of Alchemy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 18, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

W.T. Fits posted:

Bongo Bill posted:

It's also on Android, if you've got such a device.

http://www.bluestacks.com/

You'll have to buy the game through Google Play, naturally.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

I'm playing through FF4 for the first time on my iPad and as a disclaimer I am absolutely terrible at video games, but I'm having a hell of a time with keeping Rosa and Rydia alive during a lot of boss fights. I'm stuck on Lugae at the moment because of this, I can't keep Rosa alive long enough for her to cast any buffs or debuffs and the guy loving gets like 3 spell casts in a row per turn meaning if all of my guys aren't dead they will be extremely damaged and no amounts of Cura/ga are going to be able to catch them up before he gets another 3 loving spells off and kills one of my two healers. Am I underleveled or something? Cecil is the highest at 42 and everyone else is either high-30s or 40. This is bonkers, it's like my 3rd wipe on this rear end in a top hat already. I'm willing to blame my first deaths on not knowing his gimmick but now that I do and he's still winning I'm wondering if I should just turn in my gamer badge now.

Enjoyable game otherwise though, I wish they'd give this treatment to the others in the series!! I'm looking at you, 6.

A Bloody Crowbar fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 18, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't remember that fight specifically, but check if he retaliates. A lot of enemies and bosses in FF4 will counter-attack any time you hit them with certain types of attacks (or any attack). If that's the case, you may be unintentionally making the fight harder on yourself by attacking into a retaliation.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lugae's only counter seems to be Sleeping Gas, so I'm not sure what could be the problem. Slow is as always an amazing status effect, so try to stick that as early as possible. If you're really concerned about counters, Lugae doesn't counter summons.

Lugae also has a specific turn order after Poison Gas that makes him fairly predictable: Beam, Laser, Flamthethrower, Heal, repeat.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lugae's only counter seems to be Sleeping Gas, so I'm not sure what could be the problem. Slow is as always an amazing status effect, so try to stick that as early as possible. If you're really concerned about counters, Lugae doesn't counter summons.

Lugae also has a specific turn order after Poison Gas that makes him fairly predictable: Beam, Laser, Flamthethrower, Heal, repeat.
Yeah I actually ended up beating him just now by spamming Ramuh which I didn't think to do. :(
So bad!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dark Knight has one of the best abilities in the game at L7 in Backliner. It's a single-slot ability that allows the user to stay in the back row for damage mitigation yet still do front row damage. It also sounds like you could benefit to grind about five levels as well. Another thing that kind of hurts Dark Knight is that the weapons predominantly do Dark damage (obviously), and you're in the "Dark" world. They come into their own in dungeons.

Another piece of advice I can offer is to get your main guys L3 in Red Mage for the free +20% HP boost. It doesn't cost you anything but a small amount of time per character, and it helps keep your casters alive for the rest of the foreseeable future, especially in boss fights where they can get one-shotted without the buffer.

What's your party composition? I think in the Dancer arc I had Nacht as a L15 Warrior/L3 Red Mage/L7-10 Dark Knight, Glaive as a Red Mage/near-maxed Monk, Alba as a Black Mage/Summoner (a surprisingly loving effective combo in the mid-game as Summon spells are treated as regular damage magic), and Diana as the healer. I haven't even bothered with Bard/Dancer yet, as you can level super-fast in the pre-endgame, and don't even bother with Memorist. Ranger is only good for the end/post-game because of Alchemy.

Right now I have Nacht as a Ranger in the back row, glaive as a monk' alba as a black mage and Diana as a red mage. They are all around 15-17 in their primary class. Nacht was a warrior til about 14 and glaive is 6 dark Knight. I'll keep plugging away and see how back liner is.

Ranger really seems to get a huge boost with quick shot and it seems to be working so far so I'm going to keep Nacht there until he masters it, I think.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

http://www.bluestacks.com/

You'll have to buy the game through Google Play, naturally.

Having just tried this, I'd like to point out that FF Dimensions is not (yet, anyway) compatible with BlueStacks. That said, your purchase is still tied to your Google Play account, so you can still play the game if and when you have a device (or a compatible emulator ends up showing up) that can run it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I almost thought that last screenshot had a pretty decent outfit, until I noticed the visible thong. What the hell is wrong with these people? In XIII-2, the only decent outfit for Serah, the White Mage robe, was paid DLC. Her default outfit was awful, and the less said about the swimsuit the better.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought the first pic was a photo before i realized what thread i was in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I almost thought that last screenshot had a pretty decent outfit, until I noticed the visible thong. What the hell is wrong with these people? In XIII-2, the only decent outfit for Serah, the White Mage robe, was paid DLC. Her default outfit was awful, and the less said about the swimsuit the better.

I'm surprised they had enough restraint to only show one cup of her bra instead of going all out and just removing her shirt.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

These look actually really cool though, wow. Way more inspired than that wierd city. I mean it won't look that good in-game, but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the gently caress is with those awful outfits? Jesus Christ how can they have so many different costumes and every single one is an atrocity? :psyduck:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It looks like SE designed their outfits from Dynasty Warriors 8 or something. Her one-breast outfit looks like Wang Yuanji's.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The locations look really cool, but I'm just resigned to the fact that Lightning's clothes are such a mix-and-match clusterfuck. How that is even possible, I don't know* - there's got to be at least one non-terrible design in there somewhere. The green hobo thing comes the closest, but even then...

*Well, yeah, Nomura.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 18, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you stop expecting anything from XIII-3, it can't hurt you

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If you stop expecting anything from XIII-3, it can't hurt you

Even 13-2 managed to poo poo out one acceptable (hell, good) outfit with Serah's White Mage outfit. Surely, with as many outfits as they're designing for Lightning here, they can match that. Just one outfit that isn't awful.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I thought this one was kinda nice. :shobon:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine they're probably going to put her 13-1 outfit somewhere, so there will likely be that as well. Even setting aside the half exposed bra and thong straps, there's just way too much clashing stuff going on in that outfit. It looks formal around the neck, half of the chest is a camo pattern and the other half is supposed to be a motorcycle jacket maybe? Then the belt looks like it only goes halfway around her stomach and the material on the (presumably) skirt isn't consistent with anything else going on in the top half.

That being said, if you aren't playing a modern FF game for the fashion disasters (FF8 excluded since its costume designs were actually pretty reasonable), I don't know why you're playing a modern FF game.

Edit: The environments definitely look good, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 18, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The real core conflict of 13-3 is finding Lightning a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 18, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

That loving Sned posted:

Awful fashion aside, these screens remind me of Fortress, that cancelled Final Fantasy XII spinoff that was outsourced to Swedish developer GRIN. Specifically, around 20 second into this tech demo. The pose even looks sort of similar. Then SE got in a snit and cancelled the project without paying GRIN, demanding that the company FAX them entire game code. :psyduck:

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Awful fashion aside, these screens remind me of Fortress, that cancelled Final Fantasy XII spinoff that was outsourced to Swedish developer GRIN. Specifically, around 20 second into this tech demo. The pose even looks sort of similar. Then SE got in a snit and cancelled the project without paying GRIN, demanding that the company FAX them entire game code. :psyduck:

Oh I remember that one.

Apparently japanese game companies keep entire games' worth of coding all printed out on paper inside huge archives.

Honestly it's just about the silliest of ideas. I understand being fearful of electromagnetic pulses ruining your games, but there ARE ways to shield objects from that, you know.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Those screenshots look cool, though I doubt sliding on the sand will be half as fun as it was in Journey.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Levantine posted:

Hm, ok. I'm on the Dancer chapter now and I'm trying to get Nacht's team up to speed. They are not nearly as buff as my Light Warrior team

When you get Ninja you will start to feel this way about your Light Warrior team instead.

Also re: difficult boss battles in literally any Final Fantasy game, the number one mistake that most people I know make is not using buffs/debuffs. Slow, Stop, Toxify often work in surprising places, and Protect/Shell/Haste/Bravery or their equivalents are never a bad idea.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dross posted:

Also re: difficult boss battles in literally any Final Fantasy game, the number one mistake that most people I know make is not using buffs/debuffs. Slow, Stop, Toxify often work in surprising places, and Protect/Shell/Haste/Bravery or their equivalents are never a bad idea.

The problem with debuffs in earlier FF's was that it was never obvious which statuses a boss would be vulnerable to, if any. Did that spell miss because the boss was immune to it, or was it because of the small chance that it actually lands? If you just got to the end of a long dungeon, then you wouldn't have the MP to spare to cast all your debuffs in order to see which would work, and you'd prefer to defeat the boss before it wipes out your party.

X and XIII did a really good job of making debuffs effective, and letting you know which would work. The AI in XIII would even experiment with different spells, if you hadn't used Libra on the enemy. Basically, debuffs are only useful in the older games if you've got the strategy guide.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I have been thinking about getting Final Fantasy Tactics for my iPhone 5 but I have heard that there are some problems with it running on newer iPhones. Is it playable as it is now or should I wait in the vague hope that Square Enix will update it for the current generation of iPhones?

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.
There's a version of Tactics coming to Android with some graphical updates, some of the news on that version says that updates for iOS will come out too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If you stop expecting anything from XIII-3SquareEnix, it can't hurt you

You had a typo in there, much better.

Going numb to their activities is the only way to go. That way when they do their hilariously bad appearances like for the PS4 reveal you can just sit back and enjoy it without being in pain. :chord:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Needed to pick up a game to keep me busy during the daily commute, so I finally grabbed FF4 Complete Collection. I think this is now the 5th version of this game I've played through to completion? (Original US, PS1, GBA, DS, PSP.)

Yeah, I had to admit that this is definitely one of my favorite games. Can't wait to see how After Years goes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

DizzyBum posted:

Needed to pick up a game to keep me busy during the daily commute, so I finally grabbed FF4 Complete Collection. I think this is now the 5th version of this game I've played through to completion? (Original US, PS1, GBA, DS, PSP.)

Yeah, I had to admit that this is definitely one of my favorite games. Can't wait to see how After Years goes.

Heheh. Eheheheheh. Hehehahahahah ahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Going numb to their activities is the only way to go. That way when they do their hilariously bad appearances like for the PS4 reveal you can just sit back and enjoy it without being in pain. :chord:

Good God that was awful. "Here's an old tech demo. See you at E3!"

The only way SE could be worse is if they released Versus, but included an arbitrary online component, which forced you to play online. And their servers were in Japan.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dross posted:

When you get Ninja you will start to feel this way about your Light Warrior team instead.

I think it's mostly because I rely so heavily on Fusions to do damage and my Light Warrior team has that awesome Ice fusion from Shiva and Stop that does GOBS of damage, as well as Boost Jump which is far too powerful for its relative level and cost. Plus White Wind and Aura are amazing skills when you get them. Dark Warriors have bupkiss for damage/utility in that arena, so I'm super excited about Ninjas!

As far as debuffs I skip those for the most part since Slow, the most useful doesn't work on most bosses I have issues with (end chapter/summon bosses). Buffs I do try to keep up where I can but my buffer is also my healer so in hectic battles its just not an option.

That being said the game isn't that difficult so it's sort of academic.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
FF Dimensions has such great music. The Four Generals Theme is loving bitchin'.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Azure_Horizon posted:

FF Dimensions has such great music. The Four Generals Theme is loving bitchin'.

Absolutely. And the General fights I've done so far are loving hard, so it's one of those "oh poo poo, it's go time" sorts of tracks, too.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kyrosiris posted:

Absolutely. And the General fights I've done so far are loving hard, so it's one of those "oh poo poo, it's go time" sorts of tracks, too.

I just beat Asmodai for the first time and even though his defenses were weakened, the barrage of status effects really loving sucked.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Azure_Horizon posted:

I just beat [spoiler]Asmodai[/i] for the first time and even though his defenses were weakened, the barrage of status effects really loving sucked.

Chouchous are your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Chouchous are your friend.

I'm nowhere near the point where I can access the Coliseum. :P