Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

Can't you already do so with Homebrew Channel on Wii mode? I've been thinking about doing that myself, but I don't feel confident enough in doing so without a guide.

Is there a way to boot into Wii mode and install the homebrew channel on a Wii U?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So has anyone been playing Lego City? Any opinions or thoughts on it yet?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forgive me for asking what may be an already answered question, but since the console has been out for a few months is it worth the purchase? I was hesitant due to the launch titles not really capturing my attention and overall I haven't heard much about it other than "its kinda cool" but nothing with more substance.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Uba Stij posted:

Forgive me for asking what may be an already answered question, but since the console has been out for a few months is it worth the purchase? I was hesitant due to the launch titles not really capturing my attention and overall I haven't heard much about it other than "its kinda cool" but nothing with more substance.

Not much has really changed from launch, to be honest. You could pick up the launch titles on the cheap now (and probably the console too if you're willing to look around a bit), and I believe Wii U's sold now already have the big day-one patch preinstalled, but otherwise you're going to be in the same position we are. This week is the first week with a bunch of actual releases, so if you were waiting for Lego City or Monster Hunter, now would be the time to jump on.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artix posted:

Not much has really changed from launch, to be honest. You could pick up the launch titles on the cheap now (and probably the console too if you're willing to look around a bit), and I believe Wii U's sold now already have the big day-one patch preinstalled, but otherwise you're going to be in the same position we are. This week is the first week with a bunch of actual releases, so if you were waiting for Lego City or Monster Hunter, now would be the time to jump on.

Lego City seems interesting, I'll research that more.

I've honestly never played any of the Monster Hunter titles so I can't comment on those.

I'll probably look around for a cheap(er) WiiU console. Amazon has it for like $290 which isn't bad but for a console with no games of note its hard to justify that purchase.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Uba Stij posted:

Lego City seems interesting, I'll research that more.

I've honestly never played any of the Monster Hunter titles so I can't comment on those.

I'll probably look around for a cheap(er) WiiU console. Amazon has it for like $290 which isn't bad but for a console with no games of note its hard to justify that purchase.

Target routinely runs deals. They have a "buy a Wii U, get a $50 gift card" deal happening either this week or next.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soul Glo posted:

Target routinely runs deals. They have a "buy a Wii U, get a $50 gift card" deal happening either this week or next.

Well poo poo, might check that out if the price is right.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

The system probably won't see a jump until E3 when they drop a steaming load of Mario Galaxy successor/Mario Kart/Monolith RPG/Bayonetta/SMASH BROS poo poo on us. I don't own the system but having played it, it's neat though I don't wanna buy it until more games, both 1st/2nd party plus more AAA 3rd party stuff, come over. If you like Pikmin, that new Wonderful 101 that's going to drop soon might tide you over. Monster Hunter also is dropping, too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope the next Mario takes place in large urban environments and doesn't force you to just do one goal before exiting a level.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

I hope the next Mario takes place in large urban environments

Pallette swap in Mario, and we're done!

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 18, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yup, don't expect NOA to do anything right, ever.

In my dream world a big company like Activision will come out and say "We'll release the next CoD on the WiiU exclusively if NOA puts the entire mother series on the eShop."

God drat the beginning of Mother 2 is hard as gently caress though. The first miniboss, dude with a knife followed by his robot is probably the hardest fight in the entire game just because your toolset is so limited and you can get one-shot so easily.

If you had 60hp and 20pp you could take him out easily, I think that was like level 7, or you could overkill it and wait till you learned Psi favorite thing, that would drat near one shot Frank and severely hurt the robot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

greatn posted:

I hope the next Mario takes place in large urban environments and doesn't force you to just do one goal before exiting a level.

A Mario game in a real city full of people/toads/whatever would be loving awesome and pretty bewildering. Call it MarioWare and instead of stars, each thing is a Microgame. Same open world style as Mario 64. Use the characters from WarioWare and have each "world" be enclosed in a TV or some poo poo.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

zenintrude posted:

Pallette swap in Mario, and we're done!

I am okay with this.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MinibarMatchman posted:

The system probably won't see a jump until E3 when they drop a steaming load of Mario Galaxy successor/Mario Kart/Monolith RPG/Bayonetta/SMASH BROS poo poo on us. I don't own the system but having played it, it's neat though I don't wanna buy it until more games, both 1st/2nd party plus more AAA 3rd party stuff, come over. If you like Pikmin, that new Wonderful 101 that's going to drop soon might tide you over. Monster Hunter also is dropping, too.

I'm not one to knock Mario games, they're fun for me. A Mario Party game has a lot of potential on the WiiU, same with stuff like Magic The Gathering, Pokemon Card Games (or hell even a normal Pokemon game), D&D etc. so much so I feel that the potential won't be reached or even worked towards.

Regarding Monster Hunter, never played it so I'm looking that up now etc.

I might just wait until end of summer after building my 2nd & 3rd PCs before getting the WiiU.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

This is why I get annoyed when guys like Yahtzee say that there's nowhere left to go in the Mario series aside from "Mario Universe". A "Mario City" game would be awesome. Hell, make it a sandbox game.

Of course, we've seen Mario in a city before and it wasn't good...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Uba Stij posted:

I personally think it's worth the purchase. For me, its value lies in the ability to stream really high quality Netflix/Hulu/Amazon VOD, and to play my old Wii games. The game pad doesn't feel gimmicky at all. The games that are available now are pretty high quality.

The price is pretty accessible, though I'm a little miffed at missing out on a $50 Target gift card. That's okay, though - I'm glad I've had it for the month or so I've had it already. We use it at least once a day, if for nothing else than to watch Mad Men before bed or something.

Red fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 18, 2013

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Artix posted:

Yeah, this pretty much covers it. Unless you absolutely must get a hold of Lego City or MH, you're not going to miss much holding out for further price drops or a couple more must-have releases. It's still very slim pickings, the interface is still waiting for the promised performance updates and a lot of developers are still eyeing it very warily. It should pick up nicely in the coming months, so you might as well wait it out and see how that plays out.

In short, I'd say it's not worth the outlay yet (now we're past the launch novelty value), but it soon could be.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'd say either buy it now with the Target $50 giftcard giveaway and the buy 2 get 1 free sale on games, or just wait until the holidays and see what kind of deals happen. By then more first party titles will have been released and will be released, Wind Waker HD at the very least, plus the desperately needed updates will have happened and hopefully the virtual console is in full swing by then.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The only truly good Wii U exclusives right now are NSMB and ZombiU. Monster Hunter, Nintendo Land and Lego City are very solid for what they are but very polarizing. There are some other good games on the Wii U but they're all ports.

I don't regret getting the system at all because we stream Netflix/Hulu/etc. basically all day here and I love the aforementioned games, but unless you know you're going to be playing all five of those ASAP there's no need to rush.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, if you get the Zombi U bundle, then use the 50$ gift card in a separate transaction for buy two get one free (should be valid because it's a gift card not a coupon). You've got zombiU, Nintendo Land, and then New super Mario, Sonic racing, and a third game (Lego? NFS? Monster?) free.

You essentially got a free pro controller with the console, and the three games you bought separately (paying for one with the gift card, getting the third free) essentially cost you only sixty bucks.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Man. This thread has convinced me that all Wii U owners should have a copy of ZombiU.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Red posted:

Man. This thread has convinced me that all Wii U owners should have a copy of ZombiU.

And they should. :colbert: Along with a copy of Sonic Racing, ideally.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Artix posted:

And should probably pick up Monster Hunter when it drops tomorrow.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Red posted:

There's a demo for it I believe, at least try it out. At worst you will be mad that it's not a COD zombies game, at best it's a unique experience that brought some life into the survival horror genre and definitely worth playing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greatn posted:

Yeah that's a great idea, let's take the "fun level design" out of a Mario game and replace it with boring square city blocks.

Soleanna worked so great in Sonic 06 too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah that's a great idea, let's take the "fun level design" out of a Mario game and replace it with boring square city blocks.

Soleanna worked so great in Sonic 06 too.

Designing fun level design in city am unpossible! Am no way to make interesting environment, this am never been accomplish!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been meaning to check out ZombiU since I'm a big fan of horror games, but the mixed reviews keep putting me off. I know there's a demo but you can't download it unless it's between 11pm - 3am in Europe and I always forget.

Also speaking of horror games I bet they could make a pretty neat Fatal Frame game on Wii U. Though I could see them making you physically look around with the gamepad to take pictures it'd maybe be too gimmicky.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greatn posted:

Designing fun level design in city am unpossible! Am no way to make interesting environment, this am never been accomplish!
Give me some examples of true platforming-focused challenging design that takes place exclusively in an open-world city. My mind is open (except to the Arkham games).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Give me some examples of true platforming-focused challenging design that takes place exclusively in an open-world city. My mind is open (except to the Arkham games).

When I think Mario city, I'm not really thinking blocky buildings. I imagine mushroom houses and wigglers as public transport and poo poo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm pretty sure you could count The Saboteur and Assassin's Creed games as having open-world urban platforming. I've never played Mirror's Edge but maybe it would count? Mario in a superclean dystopia ruled by Bowser would be a neat place to take things.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

big mean giraffe posted:

Is there a way to boot into Wii mode and install the homebrew channel on a Wii U?

You can only run homebrew in the virtual Wii mode right now, but within that you can still do a lot of stuff that was possible on the Wii. There still exists no Wii U mode hack. If you look here you'll find people talking about Wii homebrew on the Wii U:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075676&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It'll take some searching to get to the Wii U chat but I'm sure if you ask for advice someone would be happy to give it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pianta Square, the carnival zone, and the mushroom village that gets lit on fire are some of the best areas of Mario Sunshine. Assassin's Creeds are full to the brim of fun platforming, and they had the restriction of places based on real world locations.

You take fun areas like the ones in Sunshine and free them of the restrictions of hubs and loading zones, stitching them seamlessly together.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Pianta Square, the carnival zone, and the mushroom village that gets lit on fire are some of the best areas of Mario Sunshine. Assassin's Creeds are full to the brim of fun platforming, and they had the restriction of places based on real world locations.

You take fun areas like the ones in Sunshine and free them of the restrictions of hubs and loading zones, stitching them seamlessly together.

Now that I think about it, a lot of areas in Mario Sunshine were "Mario in a town".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If they want to make another Super Mario Sunshine, I'm fine with that, although they should probably make it harder to cheese because the jetpack made a lot of the platforming not very difficult in that game. The levels where they take the jetpack away are the best in the game.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Only one I can think of is Prince of Persia (2008)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Artix posted:

and I believe Wii U's sold now already have the big day-one patch preinstalled,

Unless I got old stock from Amazon nope. I just got my wiiU a week ago and had to patch for about an hour on boot up. It did pick up 2.1.3 so I think it double patched. I mean I guess it could have but I'd hate to think the smaller patch took that long.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

:can:

Don't hold your breath, is basically the answer.

Or import it and play it on your North American SNES(no extra equipment required). It's 10 dollars or less for a Japanese copy and Earthbound had poo poo censored in the American release.

I played through it with a translation guide, literally nothing was lost in the experience.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artix posted:

ZombiiU definitely piqued my interest. Mind dropping detail/analysis of the gameplay both good and bad?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zarron posted:

Only one I can think of is Prince of Persia (2008)
That's definitely more on the fantasy side. I guess if they wanted to do more of a fantasy vista it could work.

I don't really know what Nintendo plans to do with their next Mario game because they've already taken the franchise to outer space. Mario Time Travel??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Uba Stij posted:

ZombiiU definitely piqued my interest. Mind dropping detail/analysis of the gameplay both good and bad?

Could probably do well to watch some videos on YouTube.

It's a fairly polarizing game, and actually seeing it being played would give you a better idea of how it works rather than reading opinions about it.

• Locked thread