Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hay orenronen, I really really like DR0 and I'm enjoying your translation a lot. I actually like it more than DR2 at this point, because you spend a longer time getting to know fewer characters (vs. needing a chart to keep track of people), and it's not rigidly a murder mystery (I'm waiting for DR2 to get past the early stuff to start playing with the formula).

Yea, it's hard to read, and if you don't enjoy the act of parsing weird prose I can see how it would look like poo poo. The book takes a lot of risks that alienate the reader, and they aren't paying off for some, and I totally respect the people who are skimming or skipping them. That said, I'd be really disappointed if we don't get the rest of the book!

Edit: Holy poo poo that was a good trial update.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluzic
Oct 29, 2011
It's looking more and more like Nagito is our culprit. He's the only person who would have time to set everything up unnoticed. He was also the guy standing closest to the knife-table when the power went out. This would make the floorboard/skewers thing a huge red herring, but maybe that's just what it is.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

OH GOD :stare:

I mean, obviously it wasn't just the irons with the air conditioners going off but the lightning from his berzerk furious eyes is just :magical:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the various objections and concurrences in this game. It makes the trials feel much more involved and hectic, and consequently much more enjoyable.

theshim fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 18, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I love how they keep bringing up ideas debated in the thread. Kuzuryuu coming out with the suggestion that Pekoyama's food was drugged was amazing.

Nidai's interjection was even more amazing, though. :allears:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Argh, I was dying to see the Evidence Blade battle with Nidai! You're killing me, oren!

Teruteru's insistence that the food had nothing to do with it was a little suspicious, but I guess you can write that off as his character trait (chef and all).

BackwardPalindrome
Dec 9, 2012

Joakim Mogren is totally rendered in the FOX Engine you guys.
I'm not quite sure that I get why they immediately dismissed Pekoyama's food being drugged just because the rest of it wasn't. She had a plate specifically made for her.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I like how they're making the trials more of a group effort this time. You don't just shoot down other people's theories; you concur with them sometimes, and sometimes other people shoot down your theories. Occassionally with lighting coming out of their eyes. (That was the meanest place to end the update. :mad:)

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
What I understand is that she made her own plate in full view of everyone else. When exactly is someone going to drug it?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Argh, I was dying to see the Evidence Blade battle with Nidai! You're killing me, oren!

Teruteru's insistence that the food had nothing to do with it was a little suspicious, but I guess you can write that off as his character trait (chef and all).

Well, if our most common theory (Hanamura under the floorboards) is correct, it didn't. His defense of his food is entirely separate to whatever evidence may come up against him with regards to Togami's hella stabbed status.

BackwardPalindrome posted:

I'm not quite sure that I get why they immediately dismissed Pekoyama's food being drugged just because the rest of it wasn't. She had a plate specifically made for her.

She made her own plate.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Cluzic posted:

It's looking more and more like Nagito is our culprit. He's the only person who would have time to set everything up unnoticed. He was also the guy standing closest to the knife-table when the power went out. This would make the floorboard/skewers thing a huge red herring, but maybe that's just what it is.

I don't quite understand why that would be? Nagito is the one bringing up this evidence and from the looks of things, it's been on the right track so far -- so if he did do it, why would he be calling attention to himself like that?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Haifisch posted:

I like how they're making the trials more of a group effort this time. You don't just shoot down other people's theories; you concur with them sometimes, and sometimes other people shoot down your theories. Occassionally with lighting coming out of their eyes. (That was the meanest place to end the update. :mad:)
Yeah, the game's handling trials a lot better than the last one did. It feels like there's actual dialogue going on.

It might help that the disposition between the characters is a lot worse than the last game as well. It feels like many of the characters have a grudge against another one, leading to lots of aggression under the points brought up.

Also, Sonia stopping the stupid quarreling was awesome.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh my god, other characters interrupting you is the best part of this game. I can't wait until Gundam or Owari do it.

I like all the improvements to the trial gameplay we've seen so far. It really makes the scenes more dynamic.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 18, 2013

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Update 23 confirms it:

"Pekoyama took a plate of food and the duralumin case..."

Also Nagito really does try and keep her out of the storage room in that update, too. He's really intent on people not going in there.

Miss Kalle posted:

I don't quite understand why that would be? Nagito is the one bringing up this evidence and from the looks of things, it's been on the right track so far -- so if he did do it, why would he be calling attention to himself like that?

I don't know that he's the one who killed Togami, but the current leading theory is that he intended to kill someone... except I don't know why he's intent on keeping people out of the storage room, if he's the one who planted the knife in the main room. Unless he used those irons to cause the blackout.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh man the trials in this game are so much freaking better than the first one.

I mean just look at this, this is a thousand times better than machine gun argument.

Any flubs of the main story are forgiven because of the improved trial mechanics.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Also Nagito really does try and keep her out of the storage room in that update, too. He's really intent on people not going in there.

I don't know that he's the one who killed Togami, but the current leading theory is that he intended to kill someone... except I don't know why he's intent on keeping people out of the storage room, if he's the one who planted the knife in the main room. Unless he used those irons to cause the blackout.

On one hand, it wouldn't make sense for him to be so antsy about people going into the storage room if he wasn't the one who accomplished a murder-- after all, that just makes them suspicious of him, and if they pick him as the murderer they all die, including himself.

But on the other hand, what if he honestly thinks he himself is the killer? If he slashed at Togami and he wound up dead, he could very easily assume it was him, which means he did indeed plant the knife.

Cluzic
Oct 29, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

That's a fair point. I just can't see how anyone else would have been able to set up the knife, the air conditioner, and the irons without anyone else noticing. It would have been difficult to set up at the party with Togami breathing down everyone's neck, but Nagito was in the building all day (also, recall that he was the person who had them draw lots for cleaning duty, which he could have rigged. I suppose it is possible to have set it up for some other reason, but I have no clue what that would be.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

So is this the first time that Hanamura has had a nose bleed appear out of no where? Am I reading too much in thinking that this makes him look awfully suspicious?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Man, the blade battles just breathe cliffhangers. I'm going to be quite surprised if we will ever have another one not at the very end of an update.

Good to see Kuzuryuu taking part in the discussion, too, even if it's just to lead everyone down the wrong path.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Skinty McEdger posted:

So is this the first time that Hanamura has had a nose bleed appear out of no where? Am I reading too much in thinking that this makes him look awfully suspicious?

He's done it before, and it's just a cliche anime trope to show that someone is having dirty thoughts.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Skinty McEdger posted:

No, he's had them before. And reading anything into it beyond "it's an anime thing" is reading too much into it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Skinty McEdger posted:

The guy has a nosebleed very nearly every time he talks to a woman. Not sure how you could've missed it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Skinty McEdger posted:

Nah, he had it before. I think it was just in reference to his lust over Pekoyama making GBS threads. Yeesh.

edit: drat, beaten thrice.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I don't get why being under the floorboards is a theory. Unless they knew someone was going to lie down (How would they?) the best they could hope to do is viciously poke people in the feet.

I think the floorboards are going to be important when considering where the actual murder weapon went, when they start to discuss the knife and compare it the wounds. (So when they realise it was a skewer that killed Togami).

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Cluzic posted:

That's a fair point. I just can't see how anyone else would have been able to set up the knife, the air conditioner, and the irons without anyone else noticing. It would have been difficult to set up at the party with Togami breathing down everyone's neck, but Nagito was in the building all day (also, recall that he was the person who had them draw lots for cleaning duty, which he could have rigged. I suppose it is possible to have set it up for some other reason, but I have no clue what that would be.

His behavior kind of makes sense under the (fairly plausible at this point) theory that he was planning something that failed and someone else committed the murder. On one hand, he's technically innocent, so he wants to lead the group to the truth to save his own hide. On the other hand, if he outright admits he planted the knife and planned the blackout, the whole class is just going to totally crucify him and ignore the hints he didn't do it, like the knife not matching Togami's wounds at all and a lack of opportunity for him to get the bloody cloth into storage.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I am really enjoying the way they improved the trial gameplay. Not only is the new minigame rather excellent, more interesting than the Machinegun battles were, but the ability to actually agree with someone is also pretty great. That really opens up a lot of ways for the trials to go.

It feels a lot more like an actual debate, instead of in DR1 where all you could do is prove everyone else wrong, now it feels like everyone's a lot more into it and co-operative. I really like how this is turning out.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

[e]^^^^^^^^^^ :hfive:

Very cool. I really like the design decisions they added into this games sequel.

Firstly with the addition of having other classmates actually interrupt and argue against points you make, and now the addition of these Blue Weak Points which you can actually agree with. They added just enough new mechanics to the School Trials to keep things feeling very fresh and interesting. I imagine the trials further on, near the end of the game, are going to be mixed with a flurry of blue/yellow weak points, and classmate interjections at every turn.

More importantly, it really shifts the emphasis of having the entire trial revolve around the player, and instead makes you feel more like part of a unit, alongside your classmates, working together to solve the mystery. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I feel like because of all the above, the classmates of DR2 feel infinitely smarter and more believable in comparison to any of the classmates of DR1.

quote:

Sure, sure... you don't have to spell everything out, you dirty bitch.

My god Saionji... :staredog:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
when the video had him say YOU FOOL all I could think of was this classic video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3djXcx2ewQ

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I don't get why being under the floorboards is a theory. Unless they knew someone was going to lie down (How would they?) the best they could hope to do is viciously poke people in the feet.

I think the floorboards are going to be important when considering where the actual murder weapon went, when they start to discuss the knife and compare it the wounds. (So when they realise it was a skewer that killed Togami).

... Oh my god wow, wooowww, what if the skewer was used in the room itself, someone dropped it and it rolled the gently caress under the floor boards. :ughh:

VV That seems more reasonable. VV

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Lethemonster posted:

I was with you, but I came around to the floorboards thing.

Right now, the best evidence is that Gundam actually did make it under the floor, showing that it's possible to. The only way the floorboard theory works is if you know someone else is going to be under that table. The leading theory is that Teruteru became aware of Nagito's plan and when the glow in the dark tape was obscured from his view (from the floorboards), he realized someone was there and stabbed, not realizing it was Togami.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Lethemonster posted:

Those skewers are long, and the scene of the crime is under the table without the body having ever been moved. The wound pattern might have been inflicted by stabbing from an odd angle by the knife, but the wounds match the skewer instead. The geometry of the crime scene would prevent a killer under the table from wielding the skewer and creating the wound pattern that we have, so the killer wasn't under the table. By the process of elimination the only remaining place he or she could have been is under the floor. The evidence that there is a way down there is Gundam getting his earring back.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

slowbeef posted:

I was with you, but I came around to the floorboards thing.

Right now, the best evidence is that Gundam actually did make it under the floor, showing that it's possible to. The only way the floorboard theory works is if you know someone else is going to be under that table. The leading theory is that Teruteru became aware of Nagito's plan and when the glow in the dark tape was obscured from his view (from the floorboards), he realized someone was there and stabbed, not realizing it was Togami.

My first reaction to him getting his earring back was that he sent his hamsters underneath the lodge to fetch it for him. Whether he or his hamsters were down there, though, I'm wondering why he didn't come back with the bloody skewer as well.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Suzuki Method posted:

On one hand, it wouldn't make sense for him to be so antsy about people going into the storage room if he wasn't the one who accomplished a murder-- after all, that just makes them suspicious of him, and if they pick him as the murderer they all die, including himself.

But on the other hand, what if he honestly thinks he himself is the killer? If he slashed at Togami and he wound up dead, he could very easily assume it was him, which means he did indeed plant the knife.

He might have thought he was the killer at first, but he would have known otherwise as soon as he saw the autopsy. Coincidentally, that's also when he toned down his "the killer couldn't have been one of us" schtick, and just before he finally let someone into the storage room. He needs the killer caught as much as anyone else, so he's letting people figure out what happened even if it'll lead to him at first.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nidai confirmed for best character forever and ever. :allears:

And I'm loving that you can atually agree with people using Evidence Bullets now. No more 'Kirigiri is a ghost!', hopefully.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
I'm going to echo the sentiment that the changes to the trial mechanics are pretty great. Hopefully everyone (Fatogami excluded :v:) gets their chance to interject their own disagreements.

As for the trial itself, I was banking on the bathroom being the entry point to under the cottage for the killer, but the timetable as I understand that makes it impossible. With how things are now, I'm at a loss.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

My first reaction to him getting his earring back was that he sent his hamsters underneath the lodge to fetch it for him. Whether he or his hamsters were down there, though, I'm wondering why he didn't come back with the bloody skewer as well.

The killer wouldn't necessarily leave it under there, and there's more arguments in favor of the under the floor theory than just that. What I just posted was the reasoning that people roughly followed when originally making that theory, taking into account the things that we've learned since then.

Does anybody other than Hinata and Hanamura know that there's supposed to be an unaccounted for skewer? What if it was brought back, washed off, and left among the kitchen utensils where it wouldn't look conspicuous to anyone except Hinata?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I have to say, I'm almost a little disappointed that Peko's bathroom break was just stomach problems out of nowhere. Random coincidences to explain major plot points in mysteries always seemed kind of lazy to me. Well, at least that settles that.

I'm really enjoying these trial updates though. There are some characters that don't really contribute other than to move things along (Hiyoko, Mikan, Hanamura and Akane for example) but there are characters who are actively contributing to discussion that make it enjoyable. Mahiru especially is quickly becoming a favorite of mine with how involved she is in these trials.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

lotus circle posted:

I have to say, I'm almost a little disappointed that Peko's bathroom break was just stomach problems out of nowhere. Random coincidences to explain major plot points in mysteries always seemed kind of lazy to me. Well, at least that settles that.

I think the trick is the game's introducing it as a red herring to complicate the mystery.

But the bathroom's incidental to the whole thing; at the very least it sorta exonerates Pekoyama. ...Unless she's lying about all this. I mean a swordswoman would be good with a skewer...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mahiru is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and I'm definitely pegging her to be the sidekick character as we go further into the game. She's smart, rational, and mostly calm, though she does seem to get a bit wound up when it comes to male/female roles.

I'm really loving the changes to the trial system like so many others are pointing out. Being able to to strengthen arguments is a great addition and these sudden interjections like Nidai's are a huge, welcome surprise.

That said, drat you oren for cutting the update there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Falls Down Stairs posted:

The killer wouldn't necessarily leave it under there, and there's more arguments in favor of the under the floor theory than just that. What I just posted was the reasoning that people roughly followed when originally making that theory, taking into account the things that we've learned since then.

Does anybody other than Hinata and Hanamura know that there's supposed to be an unaccounted for skewer? What if it was brought back, washed off, and left among the kitchen utensils where it wouldn't look conspicuous to anyone except Hinata?

Didn't Togami confiscate the rest of the skewers and put them in the box?

If the crawlspace has a dirt floor (seems reasonable, although I'm not an expert on tropical construction) they could have just buried it. Either way it's in the killer's best interest not to leave it down there in plain sight; it's a good hiding spot, but if anyone thought to check it out it would immediately give away the game. If they hide it somewhere in the lodge it's less incriminating even if it's more likely to be discovered--as long as everyone is thinking in terms of the lodge anyone in the room could have been the murderer, but as soon as people start thinking about the crawlspace as a place to strike from it narrows the range of suspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Gabriel Pope posted:

Didn't Togami confiscate the rest of the skewers and put them in the box?

If the crawlspace has a dirt floor (seems reasonable, although I'm not an expert on tropical construction) they could have just buried it. Either way it's in the killer's best interest not to leave it down there in plain sight; it's a good hiding spot, but if anyone thought to check it out it would immediately give away the game. If they hide it somewhere in the lodge it's less incriminating even if it's more likely to be discovered--as long as everyone is thinking in terms of the lodge anyone in the room could have been the murderer, but as soon as people start thinking about the crawlspace as a place to strike from it narrows the range of suspects.

:doh: Okay yeah, you're right on that one. My intended point, though, was that it wasn't something that the killer would leave under the floor. You made that point better than I did.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 18, 2013

• Locked thread