Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

InterFaced posted:

All this Arma3 talk made me dig up my GOG copy of operation flashpoint. (which is now apparently ARMA1) Anyway, Opflash was great, looking forward to diving in now that I've forgotten just about everything about the game other than I liked it. I tried Arma and got bored really fast, it just lacked the soul of flashpoint. Also played Arma2, which seemed a lot better than ARMA1 but didn't drag me in like Flashpoint.

Does Arma2's single player get good a few hours in? I played until I got bored searching the wilderness with my squad of ultimate badasses for some informant or something. Or is flashpoint still the "best" single player bohemia game?

I could have written this, seriously, it matches exactly my feelings about the previous games. What I would say is that Operation Arrowhead makes ARMA 2 a whole lot more fun than the base game (which I ditched at the same point as you). I'm having a surprising amount of fun with the first mission of the Czech army expansion as well, which is nice and simple but pretty cool and explore-y and atmospheric.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

In general, I wish the series had more missions where you're just another guy following orders rather than the man in charge. I mean yeah, the AI commanders tend to be dumb, but I like being sent on a guided tour of rocks and trees.

Me too. I'm just a grunt. I know where to get on the bus and where to get off. I don't want to spend hours shepherding the AI's dumb arse into trucks if I can help it. I always liked the CWC mission where you were just on a random patrol with your buds, and ran into a few stray enemies in a wood. And, of course, the evacuation one. That was just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
All this joystick talk got me to buy a ThrustMaster T-16000M, everything seems pretty cool only I'm confused about some things, like thrust.

I see that in ARMA 3 Adjust Collective Analogue is mapped to my joystick's slider, but, I'm not really sure how to use it, getting my chopper to hover seems nearly impossible and I either overfly everything or crash into the ground. The slider doesn't show its zero point either which is pretty confusing.

So, how should I map my stick and which controls should I use?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

emanresu tnuocca posted:

All this joystick talk got me to buy a ThrustMaster T-16000M, everything seems pretty cool only I'm confused about some things, like thrust.

I see that in ARMA 3 Adjust Collective Analogue is mapped to my joystick's slider, but, I'm not really sure how to use it, getting my chopper to hover seems nearly impossible and I either overfly everything or crash into the ground. The slider doesn't show its zero point either which is pretty confusing.

Getting a helicopter to hover is actually legitimately really hard, even with arma's simplified flight model. I'm not at my gaming machine so I can't say for sure, but it's quite likely that you've got the bindings right, and are just discovering how challenging helicopters are.

One specific issue you're dealing with is precision. Judging by , that slider's got a pretty small range, and the entirety of the helicopter's control inputs from "drop like a rock" to "shoot into the sky" have to be mapped to that, leaving only a hair-thin area for "comfortably hover". In comparison, a HOTAS setup will be easier to use because the large range of a dedicated throttle gives you much more precise control.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Don't map it to the analogue one, just the normal increase/decrease collective option. At least that does the job for me with the Logitech stick.

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.

Ularg posted:

I see, they are running different builds? That would explain a lot since I am on Lite. I've just been kinda riding out my i7 920 and I'm starting to feel it struggle with PS2 and Arma.

I disabled hyperthreading in bios for my i7 and got a substantial performance boost in Arma 3. Its worth a shot next time you boot up.

jopparoad
Jul 27, 2009
Pillbug
If you have a decent webcam Freetrack NoIR works very well, though I suspect you need a beefy CPU to run it and arma3. I'm really impressed with how much they improved the infantry movement controls.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

The Arsehead posted:

If you have a decent webcam Freetrack NoIR works very well, though I suspect you need a beefy CPU to run it and arma3. I'm really impressed with how much they improved the infantry movement controls.

What camera do you use, is your room lit well, and by natural or artificial light? Are the stars always aligned over your house? How many small cute animals did you have to ritualistically sacrifice to get it to not be completely awful?

jopparoad
Jul 27, 2009
Pillbug
PS3 webcam, my lighting is pretty dim since I can usually only play at night, and I have an I7 3770. If its performance problems then I can't help you, but if it's curve settings I might be able to. I'm using the Accela filter. Ritual animal sacrifice is a given.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Arsehead posted:

PS3 webcam, my lighting is pretty dim since I can usually only play at night, and I have an I7 3770. If its performance problems then I can't help you, but if it's curve settings I might be able to. I'm using the Accela filter. Ritual animal sacrifice is a given.

If you have poor lighting, especially if you wear glasses, it's just not going to pick up your face very well.

jopparoad
Jul 27, 2009
Pillbug
Maybe my ghostly pale complexion combined with beard makes it easy for it to track my face. If you can't grow a beard and aren't of deathly pallor perhaps a paper mask will help.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've swapped the helicopter rotate/turn keys from X & C to Q & E but E forces the helicopter into a dive and I can't figure out why, any suggestions?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Odobenidae posted:

I've swapped the helicopter rotate/turn keys from X & C to Q & E but E forces the helicopter into a dive and I can't figure out why, any suggestions?

Try mapping them to 'left pedal' and 'right pedal' rather than left and right turn.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Odobenidae posted:

I think I've read something about this in the feedback tracker (which is currently down so I can't check :downs:) but with that in mind, I assume it's just a common bug with the E key and helo controls right now.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Try mapping them to 'left pedal' and 'right pedal' rather than left and right turn.

Also, for reference, if you bind the left and right 'pedal' bindings to an axis, such as the twist on a stick or to your flight pedals, then it accepts the input as an analog one and responds as such.

Edit: I've received like 30 more Alpha lite keys, the spreadsheet in the OP has been edited with them. Please mark the keys you take, it'll actually work this time. http://goo.gl/6MSMU

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 19, 2013

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Arsehead posted:

When I tried it out I quite liked it after loving around with the curves, but the only problem was a second or so lag in the movement which I just couldn't really deal with. Could it be my webcam? I have no idea the make or model, it's a pretty cheap non brand one.

jopparoad
Jul 27, 2009
Pillbug
I installed a program called "CL eye test" which has an option to force my ps3 webcam to run at 120fps. I think there is a very small delay before movement but it is barely noticeable. I tried it with eurotruck 2 and arma3 so far.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Heads up:

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Maybe I missed something, but what happened to http://feedback.arma3.com/

Is it gone or just down?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Rubber Slug posted:

Maybe I missed something, but what happened to http://feedback.arma3.com/

Is it gone or just down?

It's probably related to this, certainly not just gone for good.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
My game is locking up at the join screen. It was fine earlier today and the dev build works too. Wierd.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What are the general performance tuning tips for the alpha so far? I can't find anything reliable.

And is the inventory just hosed up in Wasteland because half the time I can't move anything from a crate (like a main rifle) to my inventory.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Sylink posted:

What are the general performance tuning tips for the alpha so far? I can't find anything reliable.

And is the inventory just hosed up in Wasteland because half the time I can't move anything from a crate (like a main rifle) to my inventory.

One thing I've noticed is that when you take weapons out of an inventory, you should always stick them in your bag rather than directly into the equipment slot. It'll actually go into your inventory, and from there you can equip it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Tried mapping my rudder pedal toe brakes to vehicle gas/brake and lean. It's not perfect; the way Arma treats the axes means that for both throttle control and leaning there's no response until the pedal is 1/2 down but even with that annoyance it works really well. Hopefully there's some way to fix the toe brakes so they work flawlessly.

I can't believe this game runs this well for an alpha. I figured it was hype but it really isnt. This thing runs better than Arma 2 ever did and it's more stable than the A2 launch build.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

New video for OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7FRk2uPgo

e:

kloa fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 19, 2013

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

InterFaced posted:

Does Arma2's single player get good a few hours in? I played until I got bored searching the wilderness with my squad of ultimate badasses for some informant or something. Or is flashpoint still the "best" single player bohemia game?

It's really hit and miss. The best mission in the base campaign is probably Manhattan but its so goddamn long and buggy I've never reached the end of it. OA is generally pretty good. ACR felt short but has some nice ideas including a sniffer dog mission thats unfortunately only six minutes long. CWR2 (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14568) is worth checking out too if you've a hankering for the OFP campaign, although its still being developed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's actually goddamn annoying, when you're trying to snipe from up there. You'll hop all over the place and often are prevented from aiming.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Dev build changelog:

quote:

19-03-2013
  • Fish should be less inclined to travel on land.
  • Health effects system moved, renamed and reworked into functions.
  • Field Manual spelling mistakes fixed.
  • UAV module(s) temporarily removed / disabled for heavy maintenance.
  • Editor loading took long when using MX rifles - fixed

:stare:

tjones
May 13, 2005

I was immediately reminded of this.

quote:

We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp. We will be able to trap certain amounts of oxygen. It's not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour forty-five? No problem. That will give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get some more oxygen, and stalk you. You just lost at your own game.

Arma, working as intended.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, a new sitrep is out http://alpha.arma3.com/sitrep-003

Joris-Jan van 't Land posted:

Cross-joining multiplayer between default and Development branch was disabled on request of 124th Seagull Aviation Squadron.

loving fantastic :allears:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've had a lot of fun just screwing around with Arma 3 so far, but I'm in the mood for some single player scenarios. I've never played Operation Flashpoint and it looks neat. So, if I want to play some single player and lovely graphics do not bother me, is picking up Arma: Cold War Assault my best bet?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Happy Hedonist posted:

I've had a lot of fun just screwing around with Arma 3 so far, but I'm in the mood for some single player scenarios. I've never played Operation Flashpoint and it looks neat. So, if I want to play some single player and lovely graphics do not bother me, is picking up Arma: Cold War Assault my best bet?

Times ten. Just be patient at the beginning - it takes a little while to get into the swing of things.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Happy Hedonist posted:

Noooononononononononno Don't do this. OFP has *not* aged well. You're far better off grabbing Cold War Rearmed 2 for Arma 2: CO

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?139742-Cold-War-Rearmed%C2%B2-Demo-4

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Mederlock posted:

Noooononononononononno Don't do this. OFP has *not* aged well. You're far better off grabbing Cold War Rearmed 2 for Arma 2: CO

Okay well if he wants better graphics he could get OFP: Dragon Rising...

Just kidding, don't do this.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GoldenNugget posted:

Okay well if he wants better graphics he could get OFP: Dragon Rising...

Just kidding, don't do this.

Haha yeah. I bought one of the new Operation Flashpoint games, I think it was deagon rising. It was loving abysmal. Such a bad game

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
God that was a horrible game. They stopped patching after the first month and never put in content they promised.Red Orchestra 2

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I wish I could install both versions of the alpha side-by-side.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Unbeknownst to me buying this game apparently gets you three invites for the Alpha Lite. I just found them in my inventory, and I have no use for them. So if you want one quote and friend me, Steam ID "MasterSchaf".

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mederlock posted:

If you don't care that much about graphics it's not that bad. The worst bit is adjusting to no lean and the odd controls. Other than that it isn't bad. Cold War Rearmed 2 is very nice, but it's only a demo of the original campaign, isn't it? I'd play OFP: Resistance in heartbeat if I still had it, despite its age.

Edit: VVV Haha, I do that as well. Maxing out the graphics. Also, another weirdness about the controls is E to sprint and F to toggle walk with the gun up (I think). But all that can be rebound. Besides, holding W and pressing A to walk slow would probably seem weird to someone as well.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 20, 2013

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Mederlock posted:

I find its a generational thing. Most children of the 80's like me still remember being impressed with quake and don't mind blurry textures and blocky hands. Guys slightly younger get all bent about it. I think Installing texture upgrades to things like system shock 2 is a cardinal sin. I also get a smug feeling after I reinstall a game like CWC, drill down to the options screen and max everything out like I only imagined doing when I first played it. I'm loving weird.

Anyway, I'm replaying the original now. (with whatever improvements came with the ARMA CWC) name. Its still plays and controls fine, the only "wierd" thing is the v bind for ironsights but that's not a big deal to me. If the looks of the game don't bother you, its still quite good.

I have to admit that the :stare: faces everyone makes during cutscenes are pretty hilarious. I swear to god I saw one dude blink with only one eye like he was going into a seizure. I'm getting way more enjoyment out of that sort of thing than I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

InterFaced posted:

I find its a generational thing. Most children of the 80's like me still remember being impressed with quake and don't mind blurry textures and blocky hands. Guys slightly younger get all bent about it. I think Installing texture upgrades to things like system shock 2 is a cardinal sin. I also get a smug feeling after I reinstall a game like CWC, drill down to the options screen and max everything out like I only imagined doing when I first played it. I'm loving weird.

Anyway, I'm replaying the original now. (with whatever improvements came with the ARMA CWC) name. Its still plays and controls fine, the only "wierd" thing is the v bind for ironsights but that's not a big deal to me. If the looks of the game don't bother you, its still quite good.

I have to admit that the :stare: faces everyone makes during cutscenes are pretty hilarious. I swear to god I saw one dude blink with only one eye like he was going into a seizure. I'm getting way more enjoyment out of that sort of thing than I should.

The basic game is unchanged, too. It plays pretty much identically to the sequels with the exception of less clutter. I recall the vehicle damage (highly simplified in all of them) being particularly basic in OFP; APC's have no survivability at all.

Resistance is still loving boss.