Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Reminds me of Genie from earlier in the thread. In that I really, really wish I hadn't read either. The Florida School for Boys has some disturbing history along those lines, compounded by the fact that it was racially segregated and there were more fatalities discovered on the black side of the school in unmarked graves.

So! On a marginally lighter note, how about the Cult Awareness Network, which got sued out of existence by Scientology and repurposed as a pro-Xenu PR vehicle? please don't stalk and ruin me CoS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man)

quote:

Raymond "Ray" Robinson (October 29, 1910 – June 11, 1985) was a severely disfigured man whose years of nighttime walks made him into a figure of urban legend in western Pennsylvania. Robinson was so badly injured in a childhood electrical accident that he could not go out in public without fear of creating a panic, so he went for long walks after dark. Local residents (who would drive his road in hopes of meeting him) called him The Green Man or Charlie No-Face, and they passed on tales about him to their children and grandchildren. Teenagers raised on these tales are sometimes surprised to discover that he was a real person, well liked by his neighbors and his family.

January
Jul 5, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

I clicked on your Breaking Wheel link first and also ended up on Christman's page. This guy sounds like a necromancer from Elder Scrolls. He lived in a large cave/tunnel system that was furnished, kidnaps a girl and kills all the babies he rapes into her. Then he hangs the baby corpses and sings to them as they dance in the wind.

When I clicked on his link I did it because I was thinking 'man what did this poor bastard do to deserve getting beaten to death for nine days.'

It's probably one of the few situations where such the Breaking Wheel could be considered a merciful end compared to the suffering the condemned person had brought into the world. Maybe some would say this fellow was mentally-ill and therefore was simply a victim himself, and then I'm sure a debate would break out. Without having known him I would lean toward: the guy was just plain evil.

Popelmon posted:

Holy poo poo! This guy was from a a little town next to where I live! And I always thought that town was boring as hell.

I wonder if the cave system is still accessable. That would make for some creepy exploration for those who are so inclined. (Count me out!)

18 Character Limit posted:

Best not read about the boats. Or really anything by Geoffrey Abbott. It'll destroy your faith in mankind's creativity.

I think the Boats is the only method I've read about which actually seems worse than the Breaking Wheel. Although either method involves suffering in complete pain for days on end, the Boats is far more disgusting.

Alhazred posted:

The last guillotining took place in 1977: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillotine#Retirement

Heh... that is surprising... but reading this other stuff makes the guillotine seem downright humane in comparison. About as humane as the electric chair, I'd suppose.

Dross posted:

...several South American countries have laws against imprisoning criminals for more than 30 years, resulting in a few child murderers with 100+ kills being released and their current whereabouts unknown.

It's like the all-you-can-eat buffet of murder. Kill all you want for the bargain price of only 30 years in prison. Not to make light of this - this is deeply disturbing in such a different way than the inventive execution methods people come up with. I feel so sorry for the victims and their families but even more so in light of a legal system that basically says their lives are worthless.

January has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Mar 18, 2013

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

January posted:

Heh... that is surprising... but reading this other stuff makes the guillotine seem downright humane in comparison. About as humane as the electric chair, I'd suppose.

Well, that was the point of the guillotine--to be a humane method of execution. Certainly more humane than the hangings (a lousy way to go if they don't set it up so your neck breaks right away) and wheel executions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Well, that was the point of the guillotine--to be a humane method of execution. Certainly more humane than the hangings (a lousy way to go if they don't set it up so your neck breaks right away) and wheel executions.

Stuff like this must infuriate you then: Bastøy Prison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bast%F8y_Prison). It went from being an infamous school for "bad boys" where the boys where treated extremely harsh to an open prison as documented by Michael Moore.

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010
The Tara Calico picture always creeped me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Calico

Although the Sheriff of the town has come out and said some teenage boys hit her while riding her bike and covered it up.

But then you wonder what's going on in this picture

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

evanstheone posted:

The Tara Calico picture always creeped me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Calico

Although the Sheriff of the town has come out and said some teenage boys hit her while riding her bike and covered it up.

But then you wonder what's going on in this picture

Well, it's still a matter of debate whether or not Tara is actually the girl in the photo. Some say it is (including her mother, but that wouldn't be the first time a desperate parent was wrong), some say it isn't, others say it's inconclusive. The boy in the picture was misidentified for a long time too.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Crow Jane posted:

One theory is serial killing truck drivers, which sounds like something out of a cheesy cop show, but which makes a sick sort of sense if you think about it. I've always hated driving long distances, especially alone... seeing this map a few years ago didn't make it any easier.

Unfortunately, serial killing truck drivers are a thing, and not just in the US - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Black_(serial_killer).

I was a kid myself at the time the Robert Black murders were being committed, and they were all big news at the time. One of the victims actually lived not far from where I grew up. Unsurprisingly, my school was keen on making us watch terrifying public information films about not talking to strange men, in the fine English tradition of scaring the hell out of young kids.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

General Panic posted:

Unfortunately, serial killing truck drivers are a thing, and not just in the US - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Black_(serial_killer).

I was a kid myself at the time the Robert Black murders were being committed, and they were all big news at the time. One of the victims actually lived not far from where I grew up. Unsurprisingly, my school was keen on making us watch terrifying public information films about not talking to strange men, in the fine English tradition of scaring the hell out of young kids.

quote:

The policeman who discovered the child in the back of the van, tied up, gagged with tape and stuffed head-first into a sleeping bag, was the girl's father. She had been sexually assaulted.

:stare:

Hats off to that father for not beating the man to death on the spot, holy christ.

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010

NaturalLow posted:

Well, it's still a matter of debate whether or not Tara is actually the girl in the photo. Some say it is (including her mother, but that wouldn't be the first time a desperate parent was wrong), some say it isn't, others say it's inconclusive. The boy in the picture was misidentified for a long time too.

It's really weird that the book in the photo is from her favorite author as well.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

VC Andrews books were everywhere though. It's kind of like trying to identify someone because they're holding a Twilight book.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

evanstheone posted:

It's really weird that the book in the photo is from her favorite author as well.

Isn't the book about a girl who's gang raped or something?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Tagra posted:

VC Andrews books were everywhere though. It's kind of like trying to identify someone because they're holding a Twilight book.

Yeah, VC Andrews was the Stephanie Meyer of the day. I never got into them because ewwww incest, but they were pretty common and popular among girls of that time.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Saints Crow posted:

This was back on the first page, but I have some insight into it. I live in Des Moines, and my father in law specifically remembers this time. He has said that it went from kids being out in the street playing a lot to becoming basically a ghost town with everyone so scared.

I don't want to say the saddest part, but a very sad part is how obviously it has destroyed his mother. She has gone down the rabbit hole into conspiracy theories about worldwide child sex slave rings, basically screaming at the top of her lungs still, 30 years later, and jumping at anything resembling Johnny.

Those pictures that were left on her doorstep were proven to be false (and possibly concocted by her). It turns out a kid and his friend were playing some weird "tie each other up" rough housing game and had pictured taken, police fully investigated and found there wasn't anything sinister about it, just weird people.

The pictures she showed police have a small mark on the child she claims is Johnny, that she says is the symbol of the sex slave ring, but it doesn't exist on the actual picture, which was taken decades after Johnny was kidnapped.

Edit: If you hate yourself, Noreen Gosch has a website devoted to the whole thing which shows you insight into the effect it has had on her: http://www.johnnygosch.com/

Holy hell, this lady has lost her bananas.

She actually posted screengrabs from some medieval-themed movie or tv show, complete with channel watermark, and asked for help in identifying the men surrounding a tied-up boy.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Alhazred posted:

Stuff like this must infuriate you then: Bastøy Prison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bast%F8y_Prison). It went from being an infamous school for "bad boys" where the boys where treated extremely harsh to an open prison as documented by Michael Moore.

...why would that infuriate me? I think I'm missing something. :confused:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I just read this link in the Everest thread and thought I'd repost it here. Over 200 dead bodies on Mt. Everest :nms: due to pictures of said bodies.

It's creepy as gently caress, I can't imaging going on vacation to a place where if you die they just leave you where you fell. Or walking past corpse after corpse as I climb a mountain for fun.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

platedlizard posted:

I just read this link in the Everest thread and thought I'd repost it here. Over 200 dead bodies on Mt. Everest :nms: due to pictures of said bodies.

It's creepy as gently caress, I can't imaging going on vacation to a place where if you die they just leave you where you fell. Or walking past corpse after corpse as I climb a mountain for fun.

If you die in a prominent spot, climbers might even start using your corpse as a landmark! (Don't worry, no photos on this one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Boots

I think the one that weirded me out the most was "Technicolor Hill" or something like that. So named because so many climbers corpses are concentrated there and they're all still wearing this really colorful climbing gear. I guess you have to have a bit of gallows humor about the whole thing, but it's such a casual way to refer to so many people who died doing the exact same thing you're trying to do.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Mar 18, 2013

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

NaturalLow posted:

If you die in a prominent spot, climbers might even start using your corpse as a landmark! (Don't worry, no photos on this one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Boots

I think the one that weirded me out the most was "Technicolor Hill" or something like that. So named because so many climbers corpses are concentrated there and they're all still wearing this really colorful climbing gear.

It's called "Rainbow Valley". Just before the summit there's a pretty sketchy thin ridge you have to walk along the top of, and it's just below that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

...why would that infuriate me? I think I'm missing something. :confused:

Sorry, I quoted the wrong poster. It was directed at January who seems to think that not imprisoning people for life is more disturbing than executing someone.

January
Jul 5, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Sorry, I quoted the wrong poster. It was directed at January who seems to think that not imprisoning people for life is more disturbing than executing someone.

It isn't criminals being set free that I find more disturbing than execution. So much depends on context. I certainly wouldn't argue that all criminals should be imprisoned for life or executed. But if someone murders hundreds of children, gets released from prison after only 30 years, and then murders more children, I do find that plenty more disturbing than executing the murderer in the first place. Not here to turn this into a death penalty debate, as lifetime imprisonment for the killer would undoubtedly also have saved innocent lives.

I think sentencing should have at least some discretion available based on the individual case. In this scenario, a clearly dangerous person was set free due to laws that apparently allow for no judgment to be used in sentencing. Innocent people died as a result. I can only imagine the sorrow and horror their families felt knowing if sensible laws had been in place, the children would still be alive. I've never lost a child but based on evidence in this thread alone, it can really shatter a family.

Regarding the Bastøy prison in Norway, I think that's actually a pretty cool idea to help rehabilitate certain types of criminals. There are plenty of people who could probably benefit from that kind of environment, learning honest labor skills in contrast to the criminal way of life. However, I don't think you could take a serial killer who murdered 300 children, throw him into that place for a few years, and have him magically come out a well-adjusted person who can now be unleashed safely on society.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

platedlizard posted:

I read this a few weeks ago, very disturbing. Wait until you get to the David Sharp part and watch the video where some climbers find him barely alive but have to leave him otherwise they would be putting their own lives in danger.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

The picture seems pretty innocent until you read the article. :(

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

RNG posted:

The 2 people in the picture at least survived.

January
Jul 5, 2009

RNG posted:

It's rare that a picture is snapped immediately before disaster strikes. What a creepy and somehow touching reminder of how quickly things can change from one moment to the next. I was thankful to read that the innocent man and child survived... sadly, many others were not so fortunate.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

January posted:

It's rare that a picture is snapped immediately before disaster strikes. What a creepy and somehow touching reminder of how quickly things can change from one moment to the next. I was thankful to read that the innocent man and child survived... sadly, many others were not so fortunate.

Oh, I always thought that they were all dead, since I remember some forum post saying that... Makes the photo less depressing than it was before, by a tiny bit. Glad to know that those two at least lived, but the still incredibly terrible loss of life is still depressing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Portuguese guy is accused of murdering at least four people, a police investigation findso ut he had a youtube account. This dude is too small of a fish to get a wiki entry, but the videos he has are bizarre to say the least. Every video title is a word soup without sense, the spelling errors are abundant and all the videos makes you feel like he's about to kill someone or something on tape. Worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/franciscoreighob/videos?view=0

As for wikis, any of the Russians who got executed in Chechnya are extremely disturbing. A goon posted the translated transcript of the most famous execution video, where some 8 Russians are brutally beheaded one by one. They keep making fun of them and taunting the prisioners and the last guy just spills the beans on entire weapon stashes, troop patrols and begs for his life. A small discussion arises in the insurgents but then it's decided that he needs to bite it and he gets a knife in the throat while begging for his life. This kind of threads are the worst :smith:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Rodionov

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
The mysterious seismic event makes this page really unnerving: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjawarn_station

The cult used their time in Western Australia to plan the 1995 sarin gas attack in Tokyo: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin_gas_attack_on_the_Tokyo_subway

Something about this desolate area being so remote that nobody notices what a bunch of cultist terrorists are up to. The seismic event was probably a natural phenomenon like an asteroid that disintegrated before impact, but the nobody knows aspect just gets to me. Like, the fact that it's even possible that a cult could be working on WMDs is pretty bizarre to consider.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The thing about that though is that if they really did have a nuke they totally hosed up by squandering it in the middle of Western Australia

Also Aum Shinrikyo freaks me out as well; I studied abroad in Japan several years ago and apparently the whole time while I was living there a member of the cult who was involved in the subway attack was just hanging out in my town. I must have walked past her at some point. Terrifying.

Riptor has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Mar 29, 2013

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Mans posted:

As for wikis, any of the Russians who got executed in Chechnya are extremely disturbing. A goon posted the translated transcript of the most famous execution video, where some 8 Russians are brutally beheaded one by one. They keep making fun of them and taunting the prisioners and the last guy just spills the beans on entire weapon stashes, troop patrols and begs for his life. A small discussion arises in the insurgents but then it's decided that he needs to bite it and he gets a knife in the throat while begging for his life. This kind of threads are the worst :smith:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Rodionov

The story fits the thread really well, but the wikipedia page says this:

quote:

Rodionov has been misidentified as the unnamed Russian soldier whose beheading by Chechen rebels in 1996 was filmed and has since become a viral video on the internet (Chechclear).

Not that Rodionov's story isn't sad, or anything.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

mactheknife posted:

The story fits the thread really well, but the wikipedia page says this:

Not that Rodionov's story isn't sad, or anything.

If the video he was referring to shows 8 people being killed, it isn't Chechclear anyway.. So maybe he was referring to another video...?

Content: TRIGGER WARNING
EXTREMELY DUSTURBING IMAGES
:nms:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/blog/article/chilling-final-photos-of-murder-victims-taken-by-their-killers/index.html

Pictures of murder victims prior to their deaths, taken by their killers. No nudity or gore but disturbing for sure. Please do not click this link if you may be disturbed by images of assault/murder victims who probably know that they are going to die. Soul destroying.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

If the video he was referring to shows 8 people being killed, it isn't Chechclear anyway.. So maybe he was referring to another video...?

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/blog/article/chilling-final-photos-of-murder-victims-taken-by-their-killers/index.html

Pictures of murder victims prior to their deaths, taken by their killers. No nudity or gore but disturbing for sure. Please do not click this link if you may be disturbed by images of assault/murder victims who probably know that they are going to die. Soul destroying.

loving poo poo :( The description under the picture of the first man on the page.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

drat, you ain't kidding. For people who haven't clicked, it's basically a bunch of photos that look like 70s exploitation horror movie posters except the people in them are real and actually got raped and murdered.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

January posted:

The Atlantic had a before after shot of some Iraqis at a peace protest hit by an IED of some sort. It was in the In Focus section maybe 2 weeks back. In focus is probably deserving of a thread of its own.

Religious Man
Nov 28, 2010

Perfect God and Perfect Man
drat, that trutv site has some other really disturbing stuff on it.

For example: :nms: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/blog/2012/09/21/jury-convicts-man-for-orally-raping-his-baby-to-death/index.html?link=obinsite :nms:

Guy orally rapes his baby to death.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Oh my god, this is probably the most disturbing thing I've seen here. I seriously feel like crying. I might need a break from this thread; it's living up to its name a little too well for me.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

You know, I thought I was pretty desensitized to all the terrible poo poo on the internet. I thought: "Photos? Probably not that bad considering there are videos of worse stuff... I'm curious."

My god. I couldn't scroll all the way down the page. Their eyes...:smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Religious Man posted:

drat, that trutv site has some other really disturbing stuff on it.

For example: :nms: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/blog/2012/09/21/jury-convicts-man-for-orally-raping-his-baby-to-death/index.html?link=obinsite :nms:

Guy orally rapes his baby to death.

I wish I hadn't clicked on that spoiler tag.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Archer2338 posted:

You know, I thought I was pretty desensitized to all the terrible poo poo on the internet. I thought: "Photos? Probably not that bad considering there are videos of worse stuff... I'm curious."

My god. I couldn't scroll all the way down the page. Their eyes...:smith:

Same here. I read and watch TV shows about crimes all the time and I've seen some pretty horrible poo poo on the internet, but those pictures are really going to haunt me for a while.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I think I need therapy because that link seemed pretty mild to me compared to some other things posted in the thread.

Edit: Like that godawful transcript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarington Grey
Dec 4, 2007

Subtle but delightful.
The Peshtigo Fire was a huge, fast-moving forest fire that swept through Peshtigo, Wisconsin in October 1871. It caused the most deaths by forest fire in US history, at least 1,200 people. Survivors called it "a tornado of fire."

In addition to the wiki article, there's a website dedicated to the incident that a little more in-depth information. Apparently the damage was so extensive that for years afterward, people mistakenly believed the fire had been caused by a meteor impact.

• Locked thread