Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Sometimes the element on your weapon makes a guy explode, then you button mash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really, how so? Do enemies look for delays in your attacks that come with button mashing and attack you then, or what?

Maybe it's because I'm on Hard, but so far it just feels like you need to learn to block and parry stuff more. If you don't, Kratos'll get stabbed in the hip, then the ribs, then the back and you'll get bashed around for a chunk of health. Then in then MP you definitely have to learn not to mash, otherwise anyone who bothered learning how the attacks and powers in MP work will just dodge your spamming and smack your rear end around.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jjaarreett posted:

There's also the weird Java based side-scrolling phone game Betrayal that takes place between Ghost of Sparta and 2 but I don't think anyone ever played it as it was released right around the time of the first iPhone.

I'm honestly surprised they've never thrown it in as an extra or something because I remember hearing that it was supposed to be a pretty good 2D approximation of GoW gameplay.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really, how so? Do enemies look for delays in your attacks that come with button mashing and attack you then, or what?

It's no different. It's still the same game. You can still mash to victory. There's just more than one viable combo now.

It's a pretty bad game. Or, more accurately, it's just more of what you've seen for a decade. You either love it or hate it...

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Ascension lets you button mash your way through 27 out of 30 chapters with your choice of four different elements, which -- all things being equal -- you only really have to think about depending on what sort of orb you're low on/needing at the moment (life, magic, rage, upgrade).

Then like <1 hour before the end, it decides that it wants to be an entirely different sort of game and makes you fight 3 waves of extremely buffed enemies with no health/magic chests or checkpoints between waves. I played it 5 times with maxed out health/mana/weapon upgrades before coming to the realization that I was experiencing nothing new mechanically from playing, nor would I learn anything world shattering about Kratos by completing it.

It's a mediocre game, then it becomes a bad one in its last chapters. Skip it.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

bloodysabbath posted:

Then like <1 hour before the end, it decides that it wants to be an entirely different sort of game and makes you fight 3 waves of extremely buffed enemies with no health/magic chests or checkpoints between waves. I played it 5 times with maxed out health/mana/weapon upgrades before coming to the realization that I was experiencing nothing new mechanically from playing, nor would I learn anything world shattering about Kratos by completing it.

They patched that part to make it easier if we're thinking of the same thing. I beat it earlier today with v 1.02 and it was (minor spoilers I guess) 4 medusas, 4 electric sirens, an electric hammer guy, a couple javelin women, some harpies, and then one centaur with 2 hades guys. The medusas, sirens, and javelins give magic and health respectively with the R1 death. I ended up dying the first time and almost said screw it but used magic and the copy/freeze abilities and was able to get to the last wave with over half health. You didn't miss much after that though. The end boss is a cool setpiece but that's about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thefncrow posted:

There wasn't an 18-month run up to 3. SR3 was announced March 2011 and released November 2011, which means the announcement came 8 months prior. They might have been aiming for the same thing this time, but announcing 8 months prior to scheduled release this time would have put them in the middle of the THQ debacle where the future of Volition and Saints Row was still up in the air.

While the trailer is the first gameplay we've seen of it, they announced Saints Row IV quite a while ago. Kind of wish they stuck with the original name for it though; "The Next Great Sequel in the Saints Row Franchise."

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm just now finishing UC2. Is it me, or does the level/map design go to poop once you enter the monastery? In particular, I didn't think it was as obvious how the puzzles were supposed to be solved and the navigation and contextual clues you are supposed to use, going from one room/area to another don't make you feel all bad A like the first part of UC2 and all of UC1.

I thought that the first parts of the game were brilliant. Now I'm entering into what appears to be the location of Shambala and the stone and the end of the game. :saddowns:

Also, F the people that dress up in the costumes dressed as the chupacabra, or whatever. I like everything about the UC games, but big downs go to some of the weird spiritual stuff that they did at the end of both UC1 and UC2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LaserWash posted:

Also, F the people that dress up in the costumes dressed as the chupacabra, or whatever. I like everything about the UC games, but big downs go to some of the weird spiritual stuff that they did at both of UC1 and UC2.

Supernatural stuff is part and parcel of the sort of thing Uncharted is going for.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Supernatural stuff is part and parcel of the sort of thing Uncharted is going for.

I realize that, I just didn't like the weird wolf guys that were dressed up. There was something similar to this in UC1 that I wasn't in love with either.

Also, the chapter where you jump around in the ice mountains with the Tibetan guy seemed waaaaay too long. Don't get me wrong, I love the games, just didn't like those parts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

While the trailer is the first gameplay we've seen of it, they announced Saints Row IV quite a while ago. Kind of wish they stuck with the original name for it though; "The Next Great Sequel in the Saints Row Franchise."

TNGSSRF is really hard to pronounce, tho.

'tingsnurf'?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Could someone who's played the NG3 Demo tell me what to do against the 3 cloak guys?

I have no loving idea, they have insane grab priority, invulnerability frames out the rear end and keep pelting me from offscreen with black lego blocks, I've only found limited success via flying swallow spam.

Edit: Figured it out, UT's seemed to work, guess I need to get out of the mindset that UT's work on minibosses, not that it was any fun, essentially if I try to fight these people I just get my rear end kicked but if I use the charge move I can let the game play itself, stellar. :thumbsup:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 18, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LaserWash posted:

Also, F the people that dress up in the costumes dressed as the chupacabra, or whatever. I like everything about the UC games, but big downs go to some of the weird spiritual stuff that they did at the end of both UC1 and UC2.

How in the world do you mix up chupacabras and yetis?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
What the hell did they do to GoW's combat in Ascension? I didn't want to believe the anti-hype, but it feels so off, and everything is so tiny I keep getting hit from everywhere! Worst $60 I've ever spent so far. :kratos:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've been playing Assassin's Creed (the first game) and am getting sick of the endlessly spawning guards who seem to be able to climb roofs better than I can and always manage to spontaneously appear in giant squads when I'm trying to pickpocket people and it got me thinking...

Are there any games where the number of enemy grunts is finite and / or they behave in a realistic manner towards the protagonist? Like, in a perfect world each city in Assassin's Creed would have X number of guards. As you killed more and more of them they would stop just wandering the streets aimlessly and start clustering around the important targets in the city as they realised that there was some nightmare guard-murderer on the loose.

I don't know how feasible that sort of AI behaviour is or if anyone else in the world would find it desirable but I thought it would be interesting to play a game where the enemies were more than just a never-ending supply of cannon fodder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Red Dead Redemption's town have a finite number of police.

They respawn if you leave for a while, but in a single encounter you can kill through them all if you want.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've started playing Sleeping Dogs' Nightmare in North Point DLC and enjoyed how straight-faced the game handled the fact that Hong Kong was suddenly invaded by the undead. Is Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare anything like that? I played the hell out of RDR when it first came out, but skipped out on UN when it came out because I thought it was just going to be some stupid, overpriced couple-hours-long story mission.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

cyberia posted:

I've been playing Assassin's Creed (the first game) and am getting sick of the endlessly spawning guards who seem to be able to climb roofs better than I can and always manage to spontaneously appear in giant squads when I'm trying to pickpocket people and it got me thinking...

Are there any games where the number of enemy grunts is finite and / or they behave in a realistic manner towards the protagonist? Like, in a perfect world each city in Assassin's Creed would have X number of guards. As you killed more and more of them they would stop just wandering the streets aimlessly and start clustering around the important targets in the city as they realised that there was some nightmare guard-murderer on the loose.

I don't know how feasible that sort of AI behaviour is or if anyone else in the world would find it desirable but I thought it would be interesting to play a game where the enemies were more than just a never-ending supply of cannon fodder.

Arkham Asylum.

I couldn't find a single enemy left by the end of the game. :eng99:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

cyberia posted:

In the Gothic games, enemies only respawn when the chapter changes, meaning there's a finite number of enemies in the world. They're fantasy monsters and bandits and stuff and the games are pretty old now so nothing like the AI you describe, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
King's Field only respawns something like 1/3 of the enemies in an area after ____ amount of time (I forget if to goes by how many areas you travel through or by the clock like the plant life) around the important areas. I think someone was trying to mod KF2 to actually have it respawn more so you could get stronger faster.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure KF goes by distance traveled. It can get really annoying actually because in many areas all of the enemies respawn and it can happen very fast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Pretty sure KF goes by distance traveled. It can get really annoying actually because in many areas all of the enemies respawn and it can happen very fast.

Well yeah in the interior areas they all come back because that's where all the good stuff is hidden. :D

I think Ancient City got the most sparsely populated of them as you went on. Anyways the point is that imo most games should imitate stuff from 90s From Software games if they want to be good. :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

Well yeah in the interior areas they all come back because that's where all the good stuff is hidden. :D

I think Ancient City got the most sparsely populated of them as you went on. Anyways the point is that imo most games should imitate stuff from 90s From Software games if they want to be good. :)

This is making me wish I had more time to dedicate to playing King's Field.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

blackguy32 posted:

This is making me wish I had more time to dedicate to playing King's Field.

For RPGs they aren't that long! Especially 4, which is like 20-25 hours, maybe?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

For RPGs they aren't that long! Especially 4, which is like 20-25 hours, maybe?

I think it's more that you'll die repeatedly and have to learn the controls and everything. It's very rough even if you have Dark Souls experience.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

I think it's more that you'll die repeatedly and have to learn the controls and everything. It's very rough even if you have Dark Souls experience.

It's that and they are very methodical and slow games. Slow, but engrossing games. I can spend 2 hours playing and not even realize it.

Its hard for me to play the first one since it feels so barren and textureless, but I do love how they put a giant squid that will gently caress you up 30 seconds from starting the game. They did the same thing in the PS2 Kings Field game, allowing you to fall into a lava pit 5 seconds into starting the game.

On another note, I finally got around to starting Journey and ended up finishing it. It is such a beautiful game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

blackguy32 posted:

It's that and they are very methodical and slow games. Slow, but engrossing games. I can spend 2 hours playing and not even realize it.

Its hard for me to play the first one since it feels so barren and textureless, but I do love how they put a giant squid that will gently caress you up 30 seconds from starting the game. They did the same thing in the PS2 Kings Field game, allowing you to fall into a lava pit 5 seconds into starting the game.

On another note, I finally got around to starting Journey and ended up finishing it. It is such a beautiful game.

Haw, that game you're calling the first one isn't even the real first one. Try King's Field 1(JP) for texturelessness and pure cruelty. It's actually more impressive though because it's a PSX launch title. Not a good game compared to the others, though.

Overall my favorite was 4, but I loved 2(using the Japanese numbering system still) and 3 was pretty damned good as well, though I actually haven't finished that one. The claustrophobia and confusion of the mazes in 2 and 4 are just awesome. They don't make games like that anymore.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Does the new Tomb Raider reference Wreck-It Ralph in any way? I'm going to play it regardless, but I'd be very happy if this was the case.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Haw, that game you're calling the first one isn't even the real first one. Try King's Field 1(JP) for texturelessness and pure cruelty. It's actually more impressive though because it's a PSX launch title. Not a good game compared to the others, though.

Overall my favorite was 4, but I loved 2(using the Japanese numbering system still) and 3 was pretty damned good as well, though I actually haven't finished that one. The claustrophobia and confusion of the mazes in 2 and 4 are just awesome. They don't make games like that anymore.

Yeah I know, I think I played part of the original Japanese one on the computer. It was somewhat detailed though, so I guess it was remade.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah I know, I think I played part of the original Japanese one on the computer. It was somewhat detailed though, so I guess it was remade.

You probably played the Sword of Moonlight port of it. Sword of Moonlight was this construction set-type program From made so you can make your own really janky King's Field clone. It plays kind of differently from the original though and the AI is straight up broken. And, as you noted, it looks way better. The resolution alone is a huge improvement from fuckin' 240p.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You probably played the Sword of Moonlight port of it. Sword of Moonlight was this construction set-type program From made so you can make your own really janky King's Field clone. It plays kind of differently from the original though and the AI is straight up broken. And, as you noted, it looks way better. The resolution alone is a huge improvement from fuckin' 240p.

Yeah that was it. I think I have gotten the furthest in The Ancient City. I just remember dying to a giant spider and running away from a giant monster.

I really love the sense of exploration in the games. If I could have a game with exploration like King's field with Dark Souls combat while still having music, then I would be in heaven.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
King's Field music is so dope.
http://www.hamienet.com/18248_Central-Village.mp3

I think if Dark Souls had level design as good as Demon's Souls, they would have the full King's Field but with good combat experience. Demon's Souls levels are actually tiny but they have an amazing sense of exploration. If they were so intricately connected as Dark Souls' it would be A Perfect Video Game.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Karthe posted:

I've started playing Sleeping Dogs' Nightmare in North Point DLC and enjoyed how straight-faced the game handled the fact that Hong Kong was suddenly invaded by the undead. Is Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare anything like that? I played the hell out of RDR when it first came out, but skipped out on UN when it came out because I thought it was just going to be some stupid, overpriced couple-hours-long story mission.

I think its fair to say that if you like Nightmare in North Point and you like RDR, you'll really like Undead Nightmare. It's got the same "alternate universe" vibe to it that North Point does. I wouldn't say its quite as 'straight faced', but Marsten handles it all in pretty much the same way he handles everything: getting down to business but shaking his head the entire time. It brings back a lot of characters from the main game and puts them into some interesting situations.

I don't remember exactly how long it is except to say that it is in fact plenty long. There's a large amount of content there, and you'll end up spending time in all the regions you visited in the main game. I didn't really enjoy the 'taking the town back from zombies' mechanic (especially how it wasn't permanent and they would re-take the town eventually), but that's the only criticism I have with it.

Man, I should really play RDR again.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Does the new Tomb Raider reference Wreck-It Ralph in any way? I'm going to play it regardless, but I'd be very happy if this was the case.
Why would it? :confused:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Hi are there any racers like Project Gotham Racing on the PS3?

There's Gran Turismo and Motorstorm and the multi-platform stuff like NFS and GRID and DIRT but I already got those (well not Most Wanted). It seems like the PS doesn't actually have that many racing games or am I blind?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ChetReckless posted:

I think its fair to say that if you like Nightmare in North Point and you like RDR, you'll really like Undead Nightmare. It's got the same "alternate universe" vibe to it that North Point does. I wouldn't say its quite as 'straight faced', but Marsten handles it all in pretty much the same way he handles everything: getting down to business but shaking his head the entire time. It brings back a lot of characters from the main game and puts them into some interesting situations.

I don't remember exactly how long it is except to say that it is in fact plenty long. There's a large amount of content there, and you'll end up spending time in all the regions you visited in the main game. I didn't really enjoy the 'taking the town back from zombies' mechanic (especially how it wasn't permanent and they would re-take the town eventually), but that's the only criticism I have with it.

Man, I should really play RDR again.

Also, in Undead Nightmare you can tame The 4 Horses of the Apocalypse and use them as your mount :black101:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
and a unicorn! :gay:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was really sad that RDR didn't get another expansion. Rockstar better be making a sequel. It's by far the best game they've ever made.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've played a fair amount of RDR over the past few years, and every time I get a few missions into Mexico and then lose interest, mainly because I get bored of the shooting mechanics. Is it worth sticking with it to the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

I've played a fair amount of RDR over the past few years, and every time I get a few missions into Mexico and then lose interest, mainly because I get bored of the shooting mechanics. Is it worth sticking with it to the end?

Mexico is by a significant degree the worst part of the game, although you do get an upgrade to your shooting mechanics there.

• Locked thread