Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Cactrot posted:

Planeswalkers come into play with a number of loyalty counters indicated in the lower right, the + abilites add loyalty counters and the - abilities remove them, when a planeswalker has 0 loyalty counters on it, it dies.

Also you can only use one of said abilities per turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Cactrot posted:

Planeswalkers come into play with a number of loyalty counters indicated in the lower right, the + abilites add loyalty counters and the - abilities remove them, when a planeswalker has 0 loyalty counters on it, it dies.

You also can only use one ability per turn, as a sorcery, and need to be able to remove enough counters to use a - ability. And they can be attacked like another player and damage makes them lose loyalty.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
This explains it https://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules/planeswalkers but basically plains walkers are cards that work more or less like an extra player on your team that you can control.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

And finally, even though it doesn't really matter in the context of this thread, an attacking player may elect to attack the planeswalker instead of the opponent. (planeswalkers cannot block or attack like normal creatures)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does that accomplish anything? And thanks for the quick answers you guys :3:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Manuel Calavera posted:

Does that accomplish anything? And thanks for the quick answers you guys :3:

Planeswalkers take damage in counters, which are what you spend on their abilities. Also, if they run out of counters they leave.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Helm of Obedience is an old card, so its wording is strange. The thing that ends its ability is X cards or a creature entering the graveyard. With that replaced by a card being put on the bottom of the library, it will now put cards on the bottom, eventually to be forced off and placed back on bottom yet again. It creates an infinite loop, forcing a draw.

You think so small. Add Leyline of the Void, and if you can find a way to generate five mana you can instantly remove your opponent's entire deck from the game on turn 1.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So this one's kind of famous, old and hasn't been posted yet: In every version of Traveller, your character can die during character creation.

Traveller characters are generated using what's called a Lifepath system. You begin with an average character of whatever species you choose, and then choose their careers through several years of their life. This will give you a set of other possible options which you will randomly roll for. There are also events associated with said careers. A character with a background in the Merchant fleets might strike it big, or he might lose his fortune, or he might be beset by pirates and possibly be injured. Your choices can involve switching careers, new events and many, many years of service (you can be pretty old by the time you decide you actually want to adventure with your character - since there is no XP or advancement system in some versions of Traveller it's actually not that insane of a plan.)

Where the death comes into play is in some of the more "powerful" careers, or ones that offer significant advantages. Any military career, for instance, has a risk of your character just dying in some war somewhere, but should your character survive the options you picked for them they'll end up with a broad set of combat skills, increased toughness and useful survival stuff. Of course, you'll quickly spot why this isn't balanced at all: You can just keep rolling new characters until you succeed at getting through the lifepath without dying.

Enter the most infamous career of them all. Traveller is about exploring space. However, you almost never get to actually own your own ship guilt-free; usually your character will have "shares" in a shared venture (the group) which pays for a portion of the ship they're on, and is then saddled with a crippling ship-mortgage. But there is one career which allows you to actually own a ship, no strings attached, and that is the Imperial Scout service. This makes the option to sign on for the scouts very attractive to a player. It is also the one career path with the traditionally single highest mortality rate in Traveller.

Many, many scouts have died to bring you this information. One of them got to keep their ship afterwards.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 20, 2013

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Enter the most infamous career of them all. Traveller is about exploring space. However, you almost never get to actually own your own ship guilt-free; usually your character will have "shares" in a shared venture (the group) which pays for a portion of the ship they're on, and is then saddled with a crippling ship-mortgage. But there is one career which allows you to actually own a ship, no strings attached, and that is the Imperial Scout service. This makes the option to sign on for the scouts very attractive to a player. It is also the one career path with the traditionally single highest mortality rate in Traveller.

Many, many scouts have died to bring you this information. One of them got to keep their ship afterwards.

This also lead to hilarious emergent behavior: The Scout service had almost no pre-reqs to enlist, so if you got a character with lovely ability rolls, it's off to the scout service for Johnny no-stats, where he will probably die in short order. Then you roll again!

And after later books added options for other classes to get their own ships, that's -all the scout service was good for.-

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
So if were doing dumb magic combos, there is a legit way, no funny cards, to win on your opponents first turn, before they even get to go.

It relies on your opponent going first and you having two of these in your hand (or one and Spirit Guide, but lets say two to keep it simple). Now you start with two lands in play. That means you can cast Flash to put this guy onto the field . You won't be able to pay the cost that Flash requires to not sacrifice him, but thats ok, because you want to sacrifice him. He goes to the graveyard, and you grab 4 of these , one of these , and 5 or more 0 costing creatures from your deck. The 0 casting cost creatures are artifacts, so you sacrifice them to the ghoul, and each time you do, you deal 4 damage to your opponent from the disciple. Your opponent takes 20 damage before they even get to lay down a card.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You actually need the spirit guide because that's a legendary land. Other than that, yeah that's a fantastic combo. And in a deck that runs it, it's actually somewhat good! Enough that Flash got banned in most formats almost specifically because of interactions with Protean Hulk.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
You can make it work with any other land - all you need is the Gemstone Cavern in the initial draw. For turn-one kills with the perfect draw, however, nothing beats 4x Dark Ritual + Lightning Greaves + Phage:

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Majuju posted:

You can make it work with any other land - all you need is the Gemstone Cavern in the initial draw. For turn-one kills with the perfect draw, however, nothing beats 4x Dark Ritual + Lightning Greaves + Phage:

This works on your turn, the one above works if they go first, on their turn. A turn 0 if you will.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Ahhh yeah. At least mine's legal? :ohdear:

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Technically, mine is legal in Vintage but that's about it, while yours is legal in Vintage and Legacy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The difference is that Flash+Hulk is consistent enough that it had a real impact on tournaments, while you're unlikely to draw all 4 copies of Dark Ritual in your opening hand.

In the older formats, Magic has a balance of terror between aggressive decks, combo decks, and controlling decks. The SA deckbuilding thread recently developed a deck playing Undercity Informer and Balustrade Spy, two cards that say "target player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals a land card, then puts those cards into his or her graveyard." The deck has no lands in it, so when it plays one of those abilities, the entire deck goes into the graveyard. Narcomoeba comes into play, Dread Return brings back The Mimeoplasm, he gains all the size of Lord of Extinction and becomes a Giant Solifuge.

The result is a 60/57 creature that can attack immediately, damages the defending player even if he blocks it, and can't be targeted by removal spell. The deck has about a 40% chance of playing this creature on the first turn of the game.

I could make a long post about the history and types of combos in Magic, as they've always been a serious part of the tournament scene, but I think this Magic derail's lasted long enough.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
Here's my favorite simple combo

and

You tap the enchanted land, put the squirrel token into play, then use Earthcraft's ability to tap the squirrel and untap Squirrel Nest, then produce another squirrel and repeat until you have infinite squirrels in play. All but the last one you play are tapped, but next turn your opponent is eaten alive by infinite rodents

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Here's another way to win with Phage.

Worst Easter Ever

Cast Summoners Egg

Choose Phage to tuck under it, face down.

Donateit to your opponent. Oh boy, he probably all excited! He doesn't know what it could be since you don't have to reveal Phage when putting it under the egg. It might be a Shivan Dragon!

Kill the Egg with your favorite artifact destruction spell.

Ta-dah you win! Phage's second ability says that if Phage enters the battlefield that is not from a hand, the controller loses the game. Since the opponent controlled the Egg at the time of destruction, they are considered the owner of the effect which is put whatever is underneath into play on their side. Unless they can Stifle to stop the automatic loss ability, they have to lose.

Donate also breaks some "eh" cards. The best example is combining it with Illusions of Grandeur and was actually a real deck at one point.

Cast Illusions of Grandeur

Gain 20 life.

Then Donate it to your opponent.

Cumulative Upkeep means that they have to first play 2 on the first upkeep, then 2+2 on the next, then 6, etc until they can't. When they can't then the enchantment is sent to the graveyard.

They can't destroy it, exile it, or try to prevent the life loss. They will lose.

Donates lets you stop your opponent from casting creatures, stop their creatures from doing damage, make them lose a smaller amount of life (shoutout to above Illusions), prime and unload a bomb in the form of a critter, make all their lands be removed from play, vomit their library into their graveyard, or just make them toss cards from their hand.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 20, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hey guys, at the request of a couple people and a couple odd reports, if we could get back to more interesting/inexplicable rules or seemingly curious gaps in logic, that would rule. Like card combos are neat, but that is sorta what the game is supposed to do? If there is some whacky infinite loop or whatever or a weird situation, sure.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

Hey guys, at the request of a couple people and a couple odd reports, if we could get back to more interesting/inexplicable rules or seemingly curious gaps in logic, that would rule. Like card combos are neat, but that is sorta what the game is supposed to do? If there is some whacky infinite loop or whatever or a weird situation, sure.

Specifically, more gamebreaking D&D/Pathfinder poo poo would be awesome...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There seem to be enough odd Magic combos to support their own thread, really.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The squirrels one is funny because OH gently caress SQUIRRELS EVERYWHERE, but things like the Phage stuff is just "Phage functioning as intended".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zereth posted:

There seem to be enough odd Magic combos to support their own thread, really.

Yeah, I'm enjoying them a ton and would love to see more if they're not allowed in this thread anymore. Someone make a thread!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Winson_Paine posted:

I think the main issue with M:tG and Murphy's Rules is that the creatures / effects depicted in the game are basically just personifications for one big math problem. You can't really "break" the setting or rules, because breaking it is part and parcel with the essential concept of the game. Some of the Chaos Confetti shenanigans and other stuff with RL effects is probably the Murphiest Rules thing you can do with it, I think.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think the main issue with M:tG and Murphy's Rules is that the creatures / effects depicted in the game are basically just personifications for one big math problem. You can't really "break" the setting or rules, because breaking it is part and parcel with the essential concept of the game. Some of the Chaos Confetti shenanigans and other stuff with RL effects is probably the Murphiest Rules thing you can do with it, I think.

I think you could say literally the same thing about any RPG or TTG, though. Substitute "D&D" for "M:TG" and it's just as valid an observation.

Murphy's Rules aren't about breaking the game, per se; they're about interactions that the developers didn't foresee or intend, or weird jumps in logic or misunderstandings of how things work from the developers. There's a difference between powerful combos - which I agree don't belong here just by virtue of being powerful - and interactions where it's apparent that the developers hadn't considered how this would work. "Summoning Egg + Phage" is a combo that's consistent with how the rest of the game works*; "Dominating Licid literally doesn't work as written" is a Murphy's Rule.

* And if someone plays a Summoning Egg and then deliberately donates it to you, you don't say "hey, they might be giving me a free Shivan Dragon!", you say "how is the card that's under there going to gently caress me?".

e: vv I pretty strongly disagree, but this isn't the time or place for an extended debate.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 20, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Besesoth posted:

I think you could say literally the same thing about any RPG or TTG, though. Substitute "D&D" for "M:TG" and it's just as valid an observation.
Not so much. MtG is a math problem with Elves in it, in RPGs the math problems are supposed to represent things Elves do. The premise of an RPG is that what happens will "make sense", and the system is a vehicle for the story. Yes you have your Timmys, Johnnys, and Spikes when it comes to building your actual character, but the fact that you are makin' a dude is still going to be very important. MtG's is far more about the system itself, with the flavour an excuse to carry the numbers. It's very telling that the original Timmy, Johnny, and Spike article contains no-one who plays goblins just because he likes goblins. So you're going to have to get pretty weird before it gets beyond regular MtG weird, with most of them counting as the MtG equivalent of "Did you know the D&D Flight spell lets you fly? Weird, huh?"

On the other side of the equation, D&D is supposed to be a Fantasy Genre Emulator, a framework to build a sensible narrative on, so when the rules break down into peasant railguns shooting planets at things it's a bit more jarring (and therefore funny).

e: As in, Magic's groundstate is weird even by TcG standards. In order to get something that counts as Magic Weird you pretty much have to start messing with the rules of the game itself, such as forcing your opponent to rip up all their cards.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 20, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I have to agree - "Hey guys - look what happens when you play these cards in sequence" is nowhere near as funny or interesting to read than "Casting darkness in a dark room makes it easier to see"
I've been skipping past any post with a card in it. This should be about weird rules, not powerful combinations!

I'm sure a Broken Card Game thread would go down well.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Splicer posted:

e: As in, Magic's groundstate is weird even by TcG standards. In order to get something that counts as Magic Weird you pretty much have to start messing with the rules of the game itself, such as forcing your opponent to rip up all their cards.

Yeah, that's the thing. Like, if I have a Hoobajoob Elf "attack", I'm not sure what that represents. If I tap my elf, is my elf firing arrows to hurt my opposing wizard? Is it casting an elfy ritual to curse him? Is it hacking away with a magical wall with a sword? Magic isn't worried about actually detailing any sort of narrative; it's entirely abstracted from it. You could construct a narrative from a game of Magic, but a lot of it would be from whole cloth.

Other games are better for narratives. Take, like, Doomtown, the Deadlands CCG, which has a card called Election Day.

Doomtown posted:

4♥ Election Day (On This Day... • All Dudes are candidates for the office of Mayor. Each player, as a Noon action, may either 1) pay 3 gold to buy one vote for any candidate; or 2) select and tucker one of his or her Dudes to give any candidate an amount of votes equal to the selected Dude's Influence. • This action can be performed any number of times. If, at the start of Nightfall, any candidate has more votes than all others then he or she becomes Mayor, gains 1 Influence, and becomes worth 1 Control Point, until the next Election Day. Hit this card.)

See, you can build a narrative off that, since your literal characters have to vote, or your faction has to buy votes with actual currency. It's not terribly vague. It just can get... weird.

Do you know what's a dude? Devil Bats are dudes. Hangin' Judges are dudes. Maze Dragons are dudes. Or would that be "Mayor" Dragon? If you have the most votes, you can vote in any monster or freak you like. Vote in Suzy 309, a robot. Vote in Lucifer Whateley - who is a baby. A devil baby, of course. This is Deadlands, after all.

"I like his stand on the issues. Well. Not that he can stand or walk yet, but you git my drift?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What's that? More funny 3.5 stuff?

Trees are immune to disintegration. Disintegrate specifies that when it's not used against a creature but "When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter". Here's the problem: Plants are not actually creatures, but they're also not non-living.

quote:

Plant Type
This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.

The spell actually makes a clear distinction between being used on a plant monster and just a regular plant. Maybe the spell's designer had a green thumb or something. Everything else in the game - rocks, water, creatures, mud, houses, everything - will turn into fine powder.

Maybe you prefer an infinite wish engine. Wish is a spell which lets you do anything as long as you can get away with it: the more outrageous the effect, the more likely it is that the DM will just twist the wording and give exactly what you asked for. But there are some limits in play even here: To prevent you from gaining infinite wishes, you can't safely wish for more wishes. You also can't safely ask for items that directly grant infinite wishes.

Enter the wonderful item called a Candle of Invocation. It's single use, it's cheap and all it does is that it lets you summon some creature to have a chat. You can actually summon an Efreet, who will be compelled to grant you three wishes.

So, here's how to gain infinite wishes:

1. Buy a Candle of Invocation for 8,400 gold.
2. Summon an Efreeti using the Candle of Invocation, you get three Wishes.
3. Use the two first Wishes for whatever you like
4. Use the last of the three to ask for a Candle of Invocation

You have to be at least level 5 to control the Efreet, but seeing as how wishes aren't normally available until at least level 17 I don't think you'll mind.

The hilarious thing is that this is a known combo from AD&D which was made easier across the editions.. In AD&D the Candle didn't compel the creature in any way, so you also needed something like a Rod of Beguiling to charm them first. The combo was even made famous through one of their own magazines. Good thing D&D's designers have a finger on the pulse of the community, right?

Druids have a lot of hilarious things (like being, by themselves, a swarm of bears) but their spells allow for some rather silly things. For instance, Baleful Polymorph will turn something into an animal, and since it specifies only a few exceptions to what it grants you, it most certainly makes you the Animal subtype permanently.

As an Animal, you are a legal target for the Awaken spell, which supposedly makes animals sentient but mostly just grants it insanely huge stat buffs. You can become the Magical Beast subtype with this. Because the duration of the spell is instant, this will persist even if someone reverts you to human form, which removes the Magical Beast subtype. Now you can start the cycle again to become the most intelligent, most charismatic being to ever walk any plane.

Or, if you want to have fun with it, you can use the spell on a tree, make it sentient but still not make it count as a creature. It counts as an animated object and is still living, so it's still immune to Disintegrate. That it will also move around and maybe later learn to cast spells is a plus. Oh, and it's actually hugely resistant to fire because trees have a Hardness of 5, and most sources of normal fire damage only deal 1d6 damage. Subtracting 5 from 1d6 leaves you pretty fire retardant. Creatures like Treants (who are, uh, sentient moving trees) have a special weakness to fire, so an Awakened tree is much better than higher level spells that turn trees into treants.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, that's the thing. Like, if I have a Hoobajoob Elf "attack", I'm not sure what that represents. If I tap my elf, is my elf firing arrows to hurt my opposing wizard? Is it casting an elfy ritual to curse him? Is it hacking away with a magical wall with a sword? Magic isn't worried about actually detailing any sort of narrative; it's entirely abstracted from it. You could construct a narrative from a game of Magic, but a lot of it would be from whole cloth.

Other games are better for narratives. Take, like, Doomtown, the Deadlands CCG, which has a card called Election Day.

See, you can build a narrative off that, since your literal characters have to vote, or your faction has to buy votes with actual currency. It's not terribly vague. It just can get... weird.

Do you know what's a dude? Devil Bats are dudes. Hangin' Judges are dudes. Maze Dragons are dudes. Or would that be "Mayor" Dragon? If you have the most votes, you can vote in any monster or freak you like. Vote in Suzy 309, a robot. Vote in Lucifer Whateley - who is a baby. A devil baby, of course. This is Deadlands, after all.

"I like his stand on the issues. Well. Not that he can stand or walk yet, but you git my drift?"

In 1958, voters in Sao Paolo, Brazil elected a rhinoceros to city council because they were dissatisfied with the corruption of all the human candidates. Stubbs the Cat has been mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska since he was elected in 1997 at the age of two months. In 1967, a brand of foot powder was elected mayor of Picoazŕ, Ecuador after running ads saying "If you want well-being and hygiene, vote for Pulvapies."

I do think the D&D posts and wargames posts are more suited to this thread, because those rulesets are more clearly meant as a set of laws of physics. Some of the broken combos have analogies in real life, like the locate city "nuclear bomb". Magic is just a bunch of cards that can interact in counterintuitive ways, like the fact that Headless Horseman can be killed by Neck Snap or that he doesn't have Horsemanship until you play a spell that puts him on another horse. I'll go create a thread for weird rules in trading-card games and paste everything from this thread into it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

As an Animal, you are a legal target for the Awaken spell, which supposedly makes animals sentient but mostly just grants it insanely huge stat buffs. You can become the Magical Beast subtype with this. Because the duration of the spell is instant, this will persist even if someone reverts you to human form, which removes the Magical Beast subtype. Now you can start the cycle again to become the most intelligent, most charismatic being to ever walk any plane.

Not quite; notice it doesn't add to your Intelligence, but instead gives you 3d6 Int and adds +1d3 Charisma. So every time you cast the spell you're randomising your intelligence, taking the gamble that your Int wouldn't end up at 3 by the end.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Flavivirus posted:

Not quite; notice it doesn't add to your Intelligence, but instead gives you 3d6 Int and adds +1d3 Charisma. So every time you cast the spell you're randomising your intelligence, taking the gamble that your Int wouldn't end up at 3 by the end.

Hm, so you could give your wizard a 10 int on the point buy system, then have him baleful polymorphed and awakened and turned back until he gets that 18.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Flavivirus posted:

There's actually no distinction in the rules between those bonuses. Note that in the plant version of the spell, the stats are 3d6. In the regular one, the language is that the animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +d3 Charisma and +2HD. And that plus doesn't denote a different rule from not having a plus because that's defined nowhere in the book. The language of "gets" applies to all of them! The intent is obvious, but the rules once again fail to follow through in the execution.

A wizard probably wouldn't want to do this trick, though. The spell also grant two Hit Dice, which will add to your effective level, which will make your spell progression slower as you level. As everyone knows, being more beefy drains all the magic potential from you.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I regret going down the M:tG rabbit hole. In penance I offer this up:

Traveller Chargen, Expanded - Death Is Certain! I'm using Mongoose's 5th Edition here

So as Rulebook Heavily noted above, Traveller's character creation is a game in and of itself. I'm going to bust it open here, just so you can all see how deep the space-rabbit hole goes.

To begin with, all characters roll random stats to start. You roll 2d6 six times, and assign them as you see fit to Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education, and Social Standing. These are your fundamental attributes, and play into pretty much all of your skill and ability checks later on down the line. High attributes confer a bonus to dice rolls, low attributes a penalty. For the sake of this exercise let's just assume statistically-average 7s across the board, and go from there.

Every profession has a minimum check that you must pass in order to enlist (otherwise you're thrown to THE DRAFT!), with the Scouts requiring you to pass an Int check of 5+ (again on 2d6). This gives Space-Joe Average an 83% chance of making it into the Scouts - pretty good, all things considered. Once he's been accepted, he chooses a specialization, which sets your difficulty checks for surviving a term of service, as well as advancing in your given career path. Since our attributes aren't great, Space-Joe will become an Exploration specialist, which sets his Survival and Advancement at 7+ each - 58%.

Now, we're ready to serve our first term in the Scouts. To do so, we choose from a couple of tables, one which advances our attributes or skills, another which will advance our specialization skills. Assuming we want to advance one of the attributes that play towards survival/advancement, we need to hit two consecutive 1d6 rolls (only a 3% chance now), in order to bump our attributes high enough that we actually get a bonus towards survival or advancement (which also screws you out of some skills). Anyhow, the first term of service is rolled, a skill or attribute is increased, and then we make our Survival roll. Again, there's a 58% chance of passing it - which, admittedly, isn't the greatest - so let's see what happens if we fail.

Failing a Survival roll means being forced to roll on your particular career's Mishaps table. For Scouts, this is a 1d6 table that basically breaks down as follows:

pre:
1 - Severe injury (lose 1d6 from Str, Dex, or End) OR roll twice on the Injury table
2 - Lose 1 Int or Soc
3 - Gain some contacts and enemies from an adventuring mishap
4 - Gain a rival and a rank of the Diplomat skill by causing an interstellar incident
5 - SPACE MADNESS, but no mechanical effect.
6 - Injured - roll on the Injury table
The Injury table is where you DON'T want to end up, since it breaks down like this:

pre:
1 - Nearly killed, lose 1d6 from one physical characteristic and 2 from the others (or 1d6 and 4 from one other)
2 - Lose 1d6 from one physical characteristic
3 - Lose 2 from Str/Dex
4 - Lose 2 from one physical characteristic
5 - Lose 1 from one physical characteristic
6 - Lightly injured! No permanent effect.
If any of your physical characteristics is reduced to 0, you're dead, unless you can pay 1d6*10,000 credits for emergency medical care which leaves you crippled anyhow. Additionally, the more terms you serve, the older your character becomes - after your fourth term, you roll 2d6-(terms) and there's a chance your physical characteristics are wrecked even further. Finally, if you fail even one Survival roll, you're kicked out of the Scouts for good, with no benefits for that term. You can enlist in another career, if you can manage it, but it's probably going to be tougher owing to your mishap.

So let's say you've survived, somehow. Now it's time to roll for an Event! Events are (usually) pretty good, providing miscellaneous skills, bonuses to advancement or benefits rolls, or even a free promotion. However, a 2 on your Event table means a DISASTER! and a Mishap roll (though you're not kicked out for it), and a 3 or a 10 force you to make a skill check or suffer negative consequences. Meanwhile a 7 causes you to have a Life Event, which represents anything from meeting the Emperor to committing a crime to forming a romantic relationship.

Finally, at the end of all of this, you roll your Advancement check. If you pass, congratulations! You are now Rank 1 in the Scouts. If not, better luck next term. If you manage to rank up, you gain an extra benefit roll. If you can make it to rank 5, you get even more extra benefit rolls AND a +1 to your benefit rolls when they come up. But good luck achieving that without losing an arm or being spaced!

BUT let's say you beat the odds. You're a Rank 5 Senior Scout with most of your limbs intact, your body hasn't withered away too badly, and you've actually got a lot of life experience under your belt. Time to retire, or, at least, quit the Scouts and take your 55-year-old self adventuring. Time for the Benefits rolls! Six terms served, plus three for rank, means nine benefits rolls, each with a +1. To get a Scout Ship, you'll need a 5 or 6, twice (the first time you gain the Scout Ship it's only a loaner). This is actually easy to do - 97% chance that it can be done, assuming you even make it to this point. But you probably died four terms ago.

Traveller character creation is awesome, basically. I was first introduced to it through Megatraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy, a totally bitchin' PC game, when I was probably 10 years old. For someone with no idea what an RPG even was, it was supremely confusing and tough to follow the character creation, but after a huge amount of trial and error I got it, and eventually made my way across the galaxy murderhoboin' and accidentally spacing my own crew members by forgetting to put oxygen tanks in their vacc suits.

Bonus art from Mongoose Traveller, a conspicuously familiar gentleman:

Spike Spiegel enlisted in the Navy but died on the operating table.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 20, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have to say - I really enjoy Traveller character generation.

Not actually playing Traveller, which my experience means a game of Space Trucker interrupted by an unluckily bad GM, but the chargen was fun as hell.

E: I think my favorite part is that the most powerful characters end up kind of resembling Horace Bury or other really cool sci fi old men.

E2: And now I want a thread wherein we all just generate Traveller characters and try to figure out how their narratives worked.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 20, 2013

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Yeah, the example chargen in the book really plays up attaching a narrative to your character creation process, which is super cool. Plus you can create Vargr (space wolf-men) or Hivers (crazy aliens with sixfold symmetry).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The new thread is up for strange card games rules and interactions.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

A wizard probably wouldn't want to do this trick, though. The spell also grant two Hit Dice, which will add to your effective level, which will make your spell progression slower as you level. As everyone knows, being more beefy drains all the magic potential from you.

If you have a friendly vampire you can just take two negative levels and willingly fail the save! Then you can enjoy your maximized empowered awakenings to your hearts content!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rulebook Heavily posted:

There's actually no distinction in the rules between those bonuses. Note that in the plant version of the spell, the stats are 3d6. In the regular one, the language is that the animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +d3 Charisma and +2HD. And that plus doesn't denote a different rule from not having a plus because that's defined nowhere in the book. The language of "gets" applies to all of them! The intent is obvious, but the rules once again fail to follow through in the execution.

Gets, not gains, and there's no + in front of the 3d6, unlike the others. It either means that your int becomes 3d6, or you have two intelligence scores running simultaneously, or it means nothing at all.

[s]I was actually looking this up to post earlier in the thread, and the real problem is that Awaken takes 24 hours of casting, but Baleful Polymorph only last a few minutes. So it depends on the rules for something becoming invalid for a spell after you have started casting it.[/s[] This is lies.

The 3d6 Int is not a problem, because METAMAGIC! 3d6 Int? More like 18 + (3d6/2), giving you a minimum of 19 and a maximum of 27!

\/Dammit you caught me before I could edit away my shame :( I was getting Baleful Polymorph mixed up with regular Polymorph. Baleful is permanent.\/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Splicer posted:

Gets, not gains, and there's no + in front of the 3d6, unlike the others. It either means that your int becomes 3d6, or you have two intelligence scores running simultaneously, or it means nothing at all.

I was actually looking this up to post earlier in the thread, and the real problem is that Awaken takes 24 hours of casting, but Baleful Polymorph only last a few minutes. So it depends on the rules for something becoming invalid for a spell after you have started casting it.

The 3d6 Int is not a problem, because METAMAGIC! 3d6 Int? More like 18 + (3d6/2), giving you a minimum of 19 and a maximum of 27!

Obviously you just need two castings of Baleful Polymorph - one at the start of the casting time and a second at the end, when it checks you're still a viable target.