Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Do you play much Fire Emblem?

I love Fire Emblem but on anything below Lunatic/Very Hard/whatever it really is just basically "get higher number, win triangle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I love Fire Emblem but on anything below Lunatic/Very Hard/whatever it really is just basically "get higher number, win triangle."
The triangle barely matters on lower difficulties, though. And besides 'this game doesn't require a ton of strategy on the easier difficulties' isn't exactly saying much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm having a very hard time thinking of many SPRG that doesn't boil down to "I have higher numbers, I win gently caress you enemy." Advance Wars comes close, especially on maps where you can't build units. X-Com is another series that's much more tactical mainly because of the cover system and Overwatch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I'm having a very hard time thinking of many SPRG that doesn't boil down to "I have higher numbers, I win gently caress you enemy." Advance Wars comes close, especially on maps where you can't build units. X-Com is another series that's much more tactical mainly because of the cover system and Overwatch.

Even X-Com ends up being "Get to a high level and get good equipment and stomp all over the game" tho'. Both classic and new format. It's not quite TG Cid Solos The Game but Ghost Armor or Squadsight Snipers are almost there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Even X-Com ends up being "Get to a high level and get good equipment and stomp all over the game" tho'. Both classic and new format. It's not quite TG Cid Solos The Game but Ghost Armor or Squadsight Snipers are almost there.

On classic and impossible, you can get very easily hosed over even with the best equipment.

At a certain point in FE: Awakening, you can literally skip all actions and win maps with only two characters.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

A lot of the Fire Emblems I've played also fall into that trap of including Orlandus in their game. The random stat allotment can mitigate that somewhat (or just as likely break the balance even more hilariously), but using certain characters *cough* practically breaks the game for you.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 20, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Actually in FFT if you forego using the special characters, or at least Orlandu, and don't go out of your way to grind a shitload the enemy regularly starts having higher stats and more units than you as early as Chapter 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

A lot of the Fire Emblems I've played also fall into that trap of including Orlandus in their game. The random stat allotment can mitigate that somewhat (or just as likely break the balance even more hilariously), but using certain characters *cough* practically breaks the game for you.

You are the first person I have ever seen that said Guy is broken. He's really average.

edit: I mean, he's not even in the top 15 of good characters for that game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Most of the Fire Emblems also fall into that trap of including Cids in their game. The random stat allotment can mitigate that somewhat (or just as likely break the balance even more hilariously), but using certain characters *cough* practically breaks the game for you.

Of all the units to pick for that, you go with Guy? Guy lives or dies with his strength growth. Which is only 30%.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy is only really great in Hector Hard Mode, and in Hector Hard Mode the enemies are strong enough that having a unit that's almost guaranteed to be good is pretty necessary. Not to mention he can still get STR-Screwed. Ike in FE9/10, Haar in FE10, Seth in FE8, Holsety!Arthur/Sety in FE4 would all be much better examples.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Man, you mention Guy instead of Seth? The guy can solo the entire game without breaking a sweat.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

For some reason, Guy will almost immediately come to mind for me since he was the only swordmaster I've seen break 100% chance to crit without my even trying to do it. That being said, you guys are right that there are way better characters, and the fact that certain lords like Hector or Ike can clear entire maps by themselves proves the point way better than Guy.

vv I've played 6 too so I might be mixing Guy up with someone else, although really the difference between 94 and 100 crit is mostly academic.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 20, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

For some reason, Guy will almost immediately come to mind for me since he was the only swordmaster I've seen break 100% chance to crit without even trying. That being said, you guys are right that there are way better characters, and the fact that certain lords like Hector or Ike can clear entire maps by themselves proves the point way better than Guy.

No idea what version of FE7 you're playing, but it's impossible to break 100 crit. You can do it in FE6, but I believe the highest you can get in FE7 is 94 with a full set of +Crit supports, max Skill, a Wo Dao, and an S-rank in Swords.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, almost all of the 'broken' units seem almost intentional. Like I said, having units that are guaranteed to be poo poo wreckers helps make the harder difficulties actually beatable regardless of how the RNG rolls your levels.

Though Holsety is bananas.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I'm just going to come out and say it though: Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty overrated. The story starts out really good but degenerates into magic crystals halfway through, the only reason the plot stays interesting is because of Delita. And the job system is cool and all but being limited to four people (three if you have a guest) kind of puts a damper on the tactics part. Always preferred Tactics Ogre.

This is a general problem with any Matsuno story.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Final Fantasy V iOS/android remake is finally go. I know they teased it... a while back, but here we are.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TurnipFritter posted:

The Final Fantasy V iOS/android remake is finally go. I know they teased it... a while back, but here we are.

Yessssssssss. :flashfap: Can't wait until this comes out on the Google Play store in the States in 2015.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it has Auto-Battle. I wonder if it works like Dimensions' and will use the Remember setting to auto-cast the same ability in Auto-Battle. Auto-grinding the statues in Bal Castle with Level 5 Death :D

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Based off the GBA version it looks like.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm disappointed it isn't a full-fledged 3/4 DS style remake but I can't say I'm surprised, either. If nothing else, it's at least not a raw port of Advance with touch controls.

It says it's coming out on the 28th, am I reading that right?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah hopefully it gets released for the rest of the world too. It's 1800 Yen though, but S-E always prices their games high.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Honestly, FFV on iOS/Android feels redundant after FF: Dimensions was released. They're basically the same game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Honestly, FFV on iOS/Android feels redundant after FF: Dimensions was released. They're basically the same game.
Except FFV has Faris. :colbert:

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I feel like FFV is still a way better game than Dimensions due to the way it gave you new jobs in groups instead of one-by-one with really long gaps between. It also suits itself way more to replayability because of that.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah hopefully it gets released for the rest of the world too. It's 1800 Yen though, but S-E always prices their games high.

We just got done complaining about the price of Dimensions and now we get to do it again! :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shaezerus posted:

We just got done complaining about the price of Dimensions and now we get to do it again! :allears:

With as much enjoyment as I've gotten out of FFD and will no doubt get out of FF5 on Android, :20bux: is fine by me. (1800 Yen is roughly 19 USD according to Google, so it'll probably be 19.99 USD like Dimensions is.)

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

As much as I love this news, I'm a little sad that now I can't recommend FF:Dimensions to any of my friends who ask, because why would I do that when I could suggest they play FFV instead? :v:

VVV A fair point, but if I didn't want to spend $40 and had to choose one or the other to play I know which one I'd be going with.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 20, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Because Dimensions is good in its own right and has mechanics and stuff that FFV doesn't? :v:

Plus you'd be denying them the opportunity to gain a burning hatred for Alba like I have.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Once that FF5 remake is inevitably ported to Vita, I'll bite on it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Shaezerus posted:

I'm disappointed it isn't a full-fledged 3/4 DS style remake but I can't say I'm surprised, either. If nothing else, it's at least not a raw port of Advance with touch controls.

It says it's coming out on the 28th, am I reading that right?

Why does it have to look like Dimensions? I so wanted the FF4 PSP style put onto it. :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The most recent Fire Emblem on 3DS is the only one I've played and it's awesome, but it does seem to suffer from the same problem FFT has of Big Number > Tactics. Like at this point my main character can literally walk into the highest level guys, end his turn, then kill everything on the enemy turn, ending at max health.

From what I've heard apparently this is only a problem in this one because they actually let you grind where the old ones didn't. The harder difficulties take it to the opposite end where all of your units die in one hit for 90% of the game which just seems unfun.

Maybe FFT just needed variable difficulties? There are lots of fanpatches that try to change the balance.

TurnipFritter posted:

Yesssssss
But it's just cleaned up sprites slapped into the Dimensions engine? Thought they were gonna go all out like FF3 and FF4. Oh well I'll buy it anyway because FF5 on my phone

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
One of the things that really put me off dimensions was the really lovely dialogue boxes that looked straight out of RPGMaker. Glad to see they look better in this one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is se calling us hobos

With all this Matsuno talk, as much as I generally dislike his work, there will always be the one thing he did I really love: March of the Black Queen. It plays to all his strengths and, by nature, throws all his weaknesses out the window. His characters are his absolute worst point, but in a game on the scale of Ogre Battle, that's like, "Gilbert who?" "Important" characters come and go turnstile-style literally every mission and you never hear from them again. Because you're commanding a huge army, the whole thing just becomes completely about the revolution rather than individual characters participating in it.

I mean, sure, it culminates in some arcane wizardy poo poo, but who cares? Whether it's an army of rear end in a top hat imperials or an army marching straight out of hell, the whole point is that you're an abstracted force fighting for the freedom of the land and its people. It isn't framed around the characters; it's built around the conflict. You get all the worldbuilding and all the setup with none of the forced "empathize with these one-dimensional paper cutouts." And that's great.

Francois Kofko posted:

One of the things that really put me off dimensions was the really lovely dialogue boxes that looked straight out of RPGMaker. Glad to see they look better in this one.
My favorite thing about Dimensions is that if you change the characters' names but you don't have the same number of letters, it ruins every single text box where your characters' names appear. Letters getting bumped to the next line, whole sentences getting cut off and everything.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 20, 2013

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Dimensions has more of a focus on specializing in jobs rather than really letting you experiment the way FF5 does, plus there doesn't seem to be as much balance to the jobs (though I've only got up to getting Bard, so I could be wrong on that). That, and FF5 has actual character development, even if both plots are meh.

Still, Dimensions has the advantage of being exclusive on iOS/Android. I'm sure FF5 will have some nifty new features, but I doubt I'll buy it unless it goes on sale. That, plus Android probably won't get it for another few months anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm looking forward to playing FFV again. FFD is very good but its design seams are very visible. The game plays out like episodes of a TV show and there isn't a lot of freedom in that until the endgame. FFV has a more organic progression, I think. I hope they redo the soundtrack too. I really like how smooth FFD's soundtrack is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yesssssss
But it's just cleaned up sprites slapped into the Dimensions engine? Thought they were gonna go all out like FF3 and FF4. Oh well I'll buy it anyway because FF5 on my phone

FF3 and FF4 were existing DS ports and I really doubt that SE will ever devote that kind of effort to a 16-bit remake ever again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

1st AD posted:

FF3 and FF4 were existing DS ports and I really doubt that SE will ever devote that kind of effort to a 16-bit remake ever again.

Yeah I was expected a FF5 port on 3DS or something, later ported to iOS.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm glad SE is remaking V and that I'll never get to play it because they keep giving the middle finger to the American google store, but I'm sorry, those sprites are terrible. At least the music should be good.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Francois Kofko posted:

I don't get this sentiment. Is it just because the text is high res, like how video at 60 fps looks cheap/homemade because you're used to professional projects being made at film's 24fps?

Dross fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 20, 2013

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

I don't get this sentiment. Is it just because the text is high res, like how video at 60 fps looks cheap/homemade because you're used to professional projects being made at film's 24fps?

The text boxes are awful. I didn't rename any characters, but the te
xt still looks like this and it drives me crazy. It never pushes the wh
ole word but cuts it in half all the time.