Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Strong Sauce posted:

It shouldn't matter unless you don't disclose what you're looking for. Don't go into an interview for a full-time position to try and get it to part-time. That is just annoying for the company to deal with.

My resume has EXPECTED GRADUATION FALL 2014 right there, and I tell them right off the bat. I still don't know how I should go about negotiating given that I won't be pulling 40h a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

My resume has EXPECTED GRADUATION FALL 2014 right there, and I tell them right off the bat. I still don't know how I should go about negotiating given that I won't be pulling 40h a week.

Well it sounds like you have real experience so you should be able to command the fraction of a full time salary that would correspond to your part time hours. If you expect there to be significant fluctuation in your week to week hours then you might want to consider hourly.

Honestly just tell them up front you will only work part-time and whether or not you will be working variable horus, have them give you an offer, and if it doesn't sound like it's worth your time then don't take it.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
If you can only work 20 hours a week, then go for half of the normal salary for the position. 50% of $60,000 is still $30,000. If you have a figure in mind, don't hesitate to try and negotiate up to that. And don't let them pressure you into working more hours than you're able to handle. A question for the regulars here, what if he negotiated an equivalent hourly wage to make it easier to work flexible hours?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
That would absolutely be the way to go, but don't expect a 1:1 translation into part time pay. Being full time usually has the implications that your availability to the employer is going to be regularly open when everyone else is as well, and if you're acknowledging up-front that you will be around part time and have daily commitments that block out hours in the middle of the day where you won't be accessible, this lowers your value to them because of the times where "Bob need 2banks to look at this" translates either to "give it to Fred to do" or "Bob will have to wait 'til tomorrow". In both cases productivity gets pushed back (Fred's or Bob's), and perhaps it doesn't lower your value greatly because they're going to assign your workload in a way to hedge against this, but it adds up.

But the trade off is you'll have the ability to fill your weeks with hard stops where you're out of pocket for the employer and they won't get flustered about it (at least they shouldn't). Now, if they're coming up with a salary assumed at full time and you have to remind them you'll only do 20 hour weeks, then don't be surprised if they come back with something that works out to a bit under half the original salary. But if they're putting it out there knowing it's part time and you ask to convert it to hourly just to get a little more accurate granularity then don't accept them cutting corners on the conversion.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 18, 2013

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
What do people think of Robert Half? I was offered what might be a schmuck bait feeler of "35K full time as a mobile dev" but that just feels really loving low. I might have been mistaken and that it's really for a contract thing, but I digress. I'll check what's on paper.

Anyway, I've had a ton of interviews, I'm anticipating at least one offer, and things are looking good. I've even interviewed with my University's ITS - amusingly enough they were the only people to actually ask me technical questions! It was "why would you use C and not java/C#" and "what's a class, an interface, and an object?" Whoop de do.

Before I finished posting my school gave me an offer of 13/hr and they said that's as high as they can go. I told them I'd consider it (wait for a real offer....) but, well, it's something.

I'm far from enthused about it though.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

How long does it generally take for a company to give you an offer? I interviewed somewhere a few days ago and they said something on the lines of "we'll have a desk waiting for you in <MONTH>" right after the interview, which was really surprising.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

2banks1swap.avi posted:

What do people think of Robert Half? I was offered what might be a schmuck bait feeler of "35K full time as a mobile dev" but that just feels really loving low. I might have been mistaken and that it's really for a contract thing, but I digress. I'll check what's on paper.

Anyway, I've had a ton of interviews, I'm anticipating at least one offer, and things are looking good. I've even interviewed with my University's ITS - amusingly enough they were the only people to actually ask me technical questions! It was "why would you use C and not java/C#" and "what's a class, an interface, and an object?" Whoop de do.

Before I finished posting my school gave me an offer of 13/hr and they said that's as high as they can go. I told them I'd consider it (wait for a real offer....) but, well, it's something.

I'm far from enthused about it though.

I've gone through Robert Half before and it was pretty similar to all my interactions with employment firms. Their offer was at market rate when I went through them, they may just have a client who's really trying to lowball someone. Obviously $35k as a full time mobile dev is ridiculous, even in lower COLA areas. I would just tell the rep that $35k isn't enough and let him call you if he finds something better.

If anything you should be looking for a little more than average salary because the benefits are going to suck before you get hired on on top of no vacation days, etc

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I got the lowballin' impression from him. I asked what he'd accept right out of school with work experience in this area and he said "No less than 40k."

I just smiled and nodded. That seems insultingly low for a dev with a degree and experience, even if he just graduated.

Edit: I can't spell.

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 18, 2013

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Amazon wants to set up a technical phone interview to assess my suitability for an internship position this summer. I've never done a phone interview, technical or otherwise, and the only folks I know who work at Amazon didn't go through the internship game. Anybody have any advice on stuff I should brush up on or make sure I'm solid on before the call?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Coca Koala posted:

Amazon wants to set up a technical phone interview to assess my suitability for an internship position this summer. I've never done a phone interview, technical or otherwise, and the only folks I know who work at Amazon didn't go through the internship game. Anybody have any advice on stuff I should brush up on or make sure I'm solid on before the call?

Algorithms and data structures. almost all questions will test your understanding of time/space constraints and big o notation. Best/avg/worst case run times as well.

Also just Google for common interview questions

Devvo
Oct 29, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

For my interview at Amazon back in January, my recruiter recommended that I get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Programming-Questions/dp/098478280X

My interview was actually an all-day group programming project (a new thing that Amazon's doing for fresh grads -- you get randomly placed into a group of 3-4 and the assignment is given to you that morning). It didn't help in that case, but the book was incredibly helpful for the other companies I interviewed at.

Devvo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 19, 2013

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is it kosher to accept two offers for sequential internships?

I have an offer for Spring and one for Summer. Is it okay to sign contracts and agree to both independently?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jam2 posted:

Is it kosher to accept two offers for sequential internships?

I have an offer for Spring and one for Summer. Is it okay to sign contracts and agree to both independently?

If the timespans do not overlap I don't see why not. But it sucks if you and the spring gig really get along well, and they can't extend you because you've already committed elsewhere.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Should I accept an offer when nobody's discussed compensation, or should I discuss that before I sign?

My school's offer is kinda pitiful (13/hr as a dev) but it's stable and I'd probably have to go out of my way to get fired from that job; I got that offer yesterday, right after an interview. Today I just got an offer from the same place with Mr AwkwardEmailinCEO, but it's still a job I want to do, and most importantly NOT a University job where I'd have any reason at all to put up with being lowballed.

How should I bring up in the email salary and benefit negotiation, since it hasn't been mentioned yet?

FakeEdit: Phone can't display page 2 of a pdf! They offered 20 right off the bat, I just didn't see it until I pulled it up on my laptop. Woo!

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 19, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Should I accept an offer when nobody's discussed compensation, or should I discuss that before I sign?

NO. Your offer letter should have your compensation (either an annual salary or an hourly rate) specifically mentioned in it.

Imagine you show up for your first day after verbally agreeing to X, and then they tell you "Oh, sorry, we really meant X*.8"

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
I might need to take this BFC, but I thought I'd start here in case anybody's been in a similar situation. I've been a Ruby dev at a small telecom company for the past seven years and now I'm wanting to find something new (hopefully more interesting) and move to a larger city. Should be easy, but my work history prior to my current position isn't the best and I'm not sure how to handle that on my resume.

I graduated from a relatively well-known school with a BA in computer science in 2001 and then worked for a year at my university. Due to personal problems, I was unemployed for a year after leaving that job. I then moved home and spent a couple years working as a cook. In 2005 I got a job doing dial-up/DSL support for the company I'm currently with. I was moving towards a dev position, but kept getting "maybe next month" with no indication that anything was going to change. I quit and worked as a baker for a few months before being rehired by the telecom company as a dev. That was mid-2006 so I'm up to about 7 uninterrupted years with this company and while my job hasn't really changed due to the size of the company, I'm now a senior dev by title at least (no desire to move to management).

Any suggestions on how to structure my resume? I'll focus mainly on my degree and current position. I figure I need to list the restaurant work to show I was at least able to work, but there's probably no point in including anything beyond dates of employment and title. I'm also working on getting a decent github set up so I can finally finish a personal project I kind of started a while ago.

Beyond resume help, I'm wondering about interviews. I've had one technical interview and that was for a summer position while I was in school. As far as overall style goes, are technical interviews for more senior positions similar to the recent grad interviews? Thanks for any suggestions.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Soup in a Bag posted:

I might need to take this BFC, but I thought I'd start here in case anybody's been in a similar situation. I've been a Ruby dev at a small telecom company for the past seven years and now I'm wanting to find something new (hopefully more interesting) and move to a larger city. Should be easy, but my work history prior to my current position isn't the best and I'm not sure how to handle that on my resume.

I graduated from a relatively well-known school with a BA in computer science in 2001 and then worked for a year at my university. Due to personal problems, I was unemployed for a year after leaving that job. I then moved home and spent a couple years working as a cook. In 2005 I got a job doing dial-up/DSL support for the company I'm currently with. I was moving towards a dev position, but kept getting "maybe next month" with no indication that anything was going to change. I quit and worked as a baker for a few months before being rehired by the telecom company as a dev. That was mid-2006 so I'm up to about 7 uninterrupted years with this company and while my job hasn't really changed due to the size of the company, I'm now a senior dev by title at least (no desire to move to management).

Any suggestions on how to structure my resume? I'll focus mainly on my degree and current position. I figure I need to list the restaurant work to show I was at least able to work, but there's probably no point in including anything beyond dates of employment and title. I'm also working on getting a decent github set up so I can finally finish a personal project I kind of started a while ago.

Beyond resume help, I'm wondering about interviews. I've had one technical interview and that was for a summer position while I was in school. As far as overall style goes, are technical interviews for more senior positions similar to the recent grad interviews? Thanks for any suggestions.

I'd not stress too much. If you've been at the same place for seven years and have demonstrated advancement from an entry position up to a senior one, people will probably have less concerns about career gaps earlier on.

Where I've worked, senior developers are expected to function as team leads and with far greater autonomy than others. So I'd be a little leery if the company interviewed a senior dev the same way they'd interview a recent graduate - I'd expect much more focus to be placed on teamwork and communication skills, architectural questions, and in-depth Ruby questions. I've sat in on several interviews and the questions for junior developers always felt more like "show me you can write software that satisfies this spec" where the questions for the senior developers seemed like "tell me more about how you would solve this problem, and why".

With all that said I don't have hiring authority so take that with a grain of salt :v:

As an aside, Ruby experience seems to command a premium at several of the places I've looked, so hopefully that translates to the same for you :)

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I'd leave off anything unrelated. You could even skip the date of graduation. If you've been at the same place for seven years and shown as much advancement as is possible for a developer, you're clearly a stable, reliable person. If they ask, you can give them a complete history "i.e. right out of college I worked as a baker" but honestly, it shouldn't come up.

I think for a senior person, you can probably expect more specific questions, i.e. problems that that company is dealing with, as opposed to the "How many basketballs fit in the Goodyear blimp?"-type questions.

So "We're building a browser game with 1 million users, how would you let users search for friends?" "How would you store game data?" That kind of thing. You can prepare for them somewhat by knowing about the business, but also part of the question is just to see what your thought process is like and whether you're reasonable to work with.

If you're going to be more of a team-lead type person, you might get questions about how you'd break down a project and split up responsibilities to multiple people. Actually, you might get that anyway.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

kitten smoothie posted:

If the timespans do not overlap I don't see why not. But it sucks if you and the spring gig really get along well, and they can't extend you because you've already committed elsewhere.

In any case, I intend to return to school to finish my degree and pursue a masters.

Having an expiration date seems better than nothing at all. There's always the chance ill wind up preferring it to the second and choosing to return after I finish school.

The truth is, each company has something totally different to offer and is like to be able to experience both to make a good decision when I graduate.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
If you really want to stay on at Company A, telling Company B a month or so ahead of time "sorry, my circumstances have changed and I will no longer be able to intern this summer" is not a big deal at all. At absolute worst you will mildly disappoint someone at Company B, a place you do not plan to work. It's not like anyone else has to know or find out or anything. And if you give enough notice, it's not even that big a deal for Company B.

The only exception is if you had set it up through your campus career center and they have some idiotic rule about not backing out of offers (I think mine did, but they were kind of worthless anyway)

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Follow-up from here if anyone cares. Got offered 33k, tried to negotiate, got nowhere, and accepted the job anyway.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Extortionist posted:

Follow-up from here if anyone cares. Got offered 33k, tried to negotiate, got nowhere, and accepted the job anyway.
Yeah you didn't have much leverage in the situation and they used that against you. Wait a year or two then leave for 2x the salary elsewhere.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
I would take the job and keep interviewing. I've seen people in your situation try to get a new job fast enough to scrub the undesirable position from their resume. An average employer deserves at least a year out of you, sure. But them, I'd say they don't.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Another salary negotiation post:
HR when introducing the offer: "Well...although your previous position was fairly high [admittedly due to generous travel and OT compensation] you're still pretty junior in the technology and applications we use so we're only offering [City median* + 3k]." Not an insult to say the least, perhaps perfectly fair. However the housing prices near walking distance (2 miles) would put me right around (and in some cases above) the 30% rent/income ratio for a one bedroom. Sure, I could spend $1000 a month and ride the packed train 40 min door-to-door. But I really want to loving walk to work. Not only for QoL but for my own productivity at work. I'd also save about $1000 a year on fares.

So basically I was hoping to swing a few more Gs so I could qualify renting a place within distance to work. So I'm definitely focused on the compensation aspect. Any ideas?

* 'Software Engineer' in Chicago, IL - glassdoor.com

wide stance fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 20, 2013

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
How about just "I'd like to be able to live close to work, and I can't quite afford it with that offer".

Honestly, it's mutually beneficial, you'll be a better employee if you live nearby.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

wide stance posted:

Another salary negotiation post:
HR when introducing the offer: "Well...although your previous position was fairly high [admittedly due to generous travel and OT compensation] you're still pretty junior in the technology and applications we use so we're only offering [City median* + 3k]." Not an insult to say the least, perhaps perfectly fair. However the housing prices near walking distance (2 miles) would put me right around (and in some cases above) the 30% rent/income ratio for a one bedroom. Sure, I could spend $1000 a month and ride the packed train 40 min door-to-door. But I really want to loving walk to work. Not only for QoL but for my own productivity at work. I'd also save about $1000 a year on fares.

So basically I was hoping to swing a few more Gs so I could qualify renting a place within distance to work. So I'm definitely focused on the compensation aspect. Any ideas?

* 'Software Engineer' in Chicago, IL - glassdoor.com

Not that this is a personal finance advice thread, but before you negotiate anything with them, work out a budget for yourself. Try and figure out what you can afford on the current offer, then work up from there. Use your budget to inform your negotiation, but be realistic about it. If what they're offering you (after negotiation) is $20k less than what you need, but is otherwise completely fair, you're going to have to cut back somewhere.

Outside of salary negotiations: some employers offer incentives for "green" commuting and similar stuff. Probably not enough to offset the high rent, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

tk posted:

Outside of salary negotiations: some employers offer incentives for "green" commuting and similar stuff.

What's green commuting?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

shrughes posted:

What's green commuting?

The opposite of red commuting.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If what they're offering is a reasonable rate for that type of work in that area, then your desire for a short commute or whatever really doesn't have any weight where they're concerned. When negotiating, the key is to convince them that you're worth what you're asking for. If you just whine that it's not enough to fulfill your desire to live in an expensive apartment then they'll just find someone with more reasonable expectations. However, if they're actually lowballing, then it can say a lot about what sort of work environment you'll be facing if you should take their offer.

"you're still pretty junior in the technology and applications we use so..."

This is a bad excuse unless it's genuinely a completely different specialty compared to your current experience. Assuming you're reasonably competent, you should be able to pick up their special snowflake way of doing things in couple months anyway. This excuse implies that they're used to having employees who aren't reasonably competent, or that they're so screwed they don't have a couple months to spare for you to get the hang of things.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Progressive JPEG posted:

then they'll just find someone with more reasonable expectations

This basically never happens, unless the counteroffer somehow indicates that the person is, in fact, batshit insane.

The worst that can happen is they say no and you accept the lower offer.

Honestly though, if the reason you want more money is so that you can live close to work, and you're asking for a specific and reasonable amount of money, your future employer would be an idiot not to make that happen.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

evensevenone posted:

Honestly though, if the reason you want more money is so that you can live close to work, and you're asking for a specific and reasonable amount of money, your future employer would be an idiot not to make that happen.

I'm not really seeing why an employer should care that the extra money is intended to be used to live closer to work over, say, buying an unnecessarily expensive car.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

tk posted:

I'm not really seeing why an employer should care that the extra money is intended to be used to live closer to work over, say, buying an unnecessarily expensive car.

People with short commutes are happier and have more energy.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

shrughes posted:

You can come up with a reason that living anywhere is more desirable.

"People who live in the suburbs are less stressed and more stable."

Make the negotiation about the value you offer, not the costs you incur.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

evensevenone posted:

This basically never happens, unless the counteroffer somehow indicates that the person is, in fact, batshit insane.
In this case, wide stance had mentioned that the original offer was "city SE median + 3k", implying that the offer itself might be reasonable.

But yeah there's no harm in countering. Just don't expect $100k if reasonable pay for the position is $50k. And focus on the positives of why you are worth the extra money to them.

Edit add: A good way to tell reasonableness of a given offer is to look at job listings in your area (eg on craigslist) for similar work. Some of them will specify a salary range.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Gounads posted:

Make the negotiation about whatever will get the desired response from the person you're negotiating with. Don't negotiate against yourself on their behalf by making up a bunch of extra rules ahead of time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Walked out of an experienced level developer interview where they asked 2 hours worth of behavioral questions, and one single technical question. Just one softball database question buried in all the behavioral crap.

My gut feeling is that the lack of technical filtering means I have a strong probability of working with weak developers. That, or the position did not require as much experience as I might have been led to believe. I am not unjustified in thinking this, right?

I mean, you can ask me all you want about times when it was fourth and goal and how did I handle getting the ball over the line. But at some point you have to ask actual technical questions about how you approach problems.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

shrughes posted:

You could spew out similar benefits for any number of things that a person could spend their money on (not to mention that living within walking distance isn't the only way to have a short commute). Assuming an offer is otherwise completely fair, I'm not going to give somebody an extra $10,000/year so they can live next to the office for 6 months before they decide they want to move in with their significant other out in the suburbs.

tk fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 20, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Stoph posted:

I would take the job and keep interviewing. I've seen people in your situation try to get a new job fast enough to scrub the undesirable position from their resume. An average employer deserves at least a year out of you, sure. But them, I'd say they don't.
His situation is that he's not a real developer yet, so it's pretty unlikely another company will take him until he has some more experience. It's still not really a fair salary though, so he should definitely jump ship once he's able.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

tk posted:

You could spew out similar benefits for any number of things that a person could spend their money on (not to mention that living within walking distance isn't the only way to have a short commute). Assuming an offer is otherwise completely fair, I'm not going to give somebody an extra $10,000/year so they can live next to the office for 6 months before they decide they want to move in with their significant other out in the suburbs.

By that argument, anyone working in NYC could commute from Pennsylvania so they shouldn't earn more based on CoL for NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Gounads posted:

That is the value you offer. The company gets a more productive employee when they have a short commute.