Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Looks like the 3DS save-transferring app won't be available until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Seems like my plan to start on the 3DS paid off. EDIT: ^^^ Oh wow, that's pretty lovely! ^^^

Kind of lame that they haven't managed to get it out the door yet, but it's not keeping me from enjoying the game!

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Ignimbrite posted:

The uberspit isn't in 3U, unfortunately. RIP Uberspit.

I'm kinda mad that this version sticks with the Tri farm and companion systems, the PSP games are way better in that regard.

I want uberspit, mining at the farm, and playing dressup with cats!

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
Hey, so I got the game yesterday, and besides what I'm assuming is usual japanese quirkiness / their way of doing things, I'm lovin the game. This is my first MH game ever, so I'm really excited to see it with fresh eyes and overcome challenges. I haven't fought anything crazy yet, just some leaf-munchin dinosaur looking guy who died in like, 2 hits (so I felt bad for attacking them. I want a fair fight - just call me the Predator. So I won't be killin any pregnant chicks either), and some tiny raptors. I've been trying different weapons and the heavy bow-gun you start with is what I used on the raptors. That thing is kinda a pain in the butt to use and consider myself lucky that I was able to get those squirmy raptors with it. Still very new, but I can't see that thing being useful for anything but in a group, where pals can be in the front to get hit for me.
But overall, very fun. I'm trying to stick with the switch-axe because it sounds like fun, but mostly cuz I've heard it's hard and I'M NO CHUMP.
But mostly, I have one issue that I feel is my fault. I can't hit anything with the bow. I don't know how to aim it. I know how to shoot it, and I can mess with that arc shot thing / charge it up, but I tried shooting those lil tiny innocent monster things right outside the village and unless I was a mile away and using the arc shot (which would inevitable get charged cuz I'm taking time trying to aim) I can't hit anything. Arrows fly right over their head. So, I guess, mostly - how do I aim close to me with the bow?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I kinda of like the set-it-and-forget-it qualities of the Moga farm, especially now that I can relay orders there when playing online.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Everything seems so much easier this time around. First Great Jaggi went down in 2 minutes or so, he never left the spot I found him in. Arzuros capture mission, he was limping off to capture in less then 2 minutes. I kinda hope it's just because I know what I'm doing... but still. I did switch from longsword to dual sword for this version. I didn't think the dual sword was all that strong though.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 20, 2013

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Is it just me or do monster health and damage values seem lower than they were in Tri? Accidentally killed Great Jaggi twice on cap quests and blew through all of rank 1 online with what was basically the starter weapons.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 20, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lexorin posted:

Everything seems so much easier this time around. First Great Jaggi went down in 2 minutes or so, he never left the spot I found him in. Arzuros capture mission, he was limping off to capture in less then 2 minutes. I kinda hope it's just because I know what I'm doing... but still.

I felt this way up until Lagi and tougher monsters who feel just as tough as they were in Tri to me. I can't tell if its just me or they really did make the beginning easier.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Woo I got table 10 without even trying, in your face RNG :smug:

Now I can finally play without worrying about it

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

gigawhite posted:

Is it just me or do monster health and damage values seem lower than they were in Tri? Accidentally killed Great Jaggi twice on cap quests and blew through all of rank 1 online with what was basically the starter weapons.

They probably carried over the values from Portable 3rd. That game was way easy

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

gigawhite posted:

They do, actually. I remember getting my poo poo kicked in by that Lagi you fight in the Monster Guts mission, but this time as the very first Big Monster I fought I was just dancing around him like nothing. I mean, still lost, but that was really just me getting careless more than anything else. I really do feel this time that I can probably pretty easily take him that very first encounter. Since I had to reroll my game for charm tables, I figure I'll grind up gear online and then make story-Lagi my bitch.

God, I'll be pissed if it turns out he's immortal or something.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

They do, actually. I remember getting my poo poo kicked in by that Lagi you fight in the Monster Guts mission, but this time as the very first Big Monster I fought I was just dancing around him like nothing. I mean, still lost, but that was really just me getting careless more than anything else. I really do feel this time that I can probably pretty easily take him that very first encounter. Since I had to reroll my game for charm tables, I figure I'll grind up gear online and then make story-Lagi my bitch.

My guess is he runs away eventually. I wonder what quest rewards you would get from that.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm pretty sure that you can't kill the first Lagi you meet. I actually tried it this time around and gave up after just getting bored with it.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

He runs away, you can chop his tail off though and carve it. So it's not totally worthless!

Although, I don't think his tail grows back when you fight him for reals so it's not like you're really getting anything out of it.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Lexorin posted:

Although, I don't think his tail grows back when you fight him for reals so it's not like you're really getting anything out of it.

It did for me on Tri, in a recent playthrough.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That lovely, satisfying feeling when Barroth's head ridge goes flying.

That fight was a comedy of errors, though. I tried getting him in a pitfall trap when he was tired. A felyne ran in and blew me up. By the time I got back, it was too late to drop my barrel bombs. So I think okay, he's standing around panting a lot, I'll wait for that then bomb him. But then he does his backwards shuffle at the last second and they miss. Kept getting bitten by bugs and charged by not-rhinos.

But I won. That's the important thing. Victory doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be a victory.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So is the GREAT JAGGI ARMORSET :black101: I just masterfully crafted worthless? I have a hunch its going to be.

Baby's first matching monster hat and monster pants though :downs:.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Nah, unless you think everything before G rank equipment is useless or something. I mean, it's better then what you started with!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm now debating between remaining with the Switch Axe, which I used throughout Tri or switching (heh) over to the Hunting Horn since it sounds (hehe) like so much more fun.

Am I right to believe that the Hunting Horn does more sustained combo damage than the Axe?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

That lovely, satisfying feeling when Barroth's head ridge goes flying.

That fight was a comedy of errors, though. I tried getting him in a pitfall trap when he was tired. A felyne ran in and blew me up. By the time I got back, it was too late to drop my barrel bombs. So I think okay, he's standing around panting a lot, I'll wait for that then bomb him. But then he does his backwards shuffle at the last second and they miss. Kept getting bitten by bugs and charged by not-rhinos.

But I won. That's the important thing. Victory doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be a victory.

Tri was my first MH. I started out with hammers (and still main hammers) and at that point only knew that the first rule of hammers is "always aim for the head." I took Barroth out by just hitting him in he head with a hammer :bang:. Took forever.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I want to make the Great Jaggi Mask because it looks incredibly silly.

Oh god I feel like I'm going to want to make every single armor piece in this game. I get it now, I get where 100+ hours go.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jet Set Jettison posted:

So is the GREAT JAGGI ARMORSET :black101: I just masterfully crafted worthless? I have a hunch its going to be.

I never want to change my bug princess armor.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I want to make the Great Jaggi Mask because it looks incredibly silly.

Oh god I feel like I'm going to want to make every single armor piece in this game. I get it now, I get where 100+ hours go.

Haven't had a look at the MH3U Jaggi mask stats, but in Tri I used it a lot for the luck skill (chance of more quest rewards), so it was actually useful even at higher levels.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Machai posted:

Tri was my first MH. I started out with hammers (and still main hammers) and at that point only knew that the first rule of hammers is "always aim for the head." I took Barroth out by just hitting him in he head with a hammer :bang:. Took forever.

Yeah it does! You aren't a real Monster Hunter until you've made his head ridge fly.

I wish there was an in-game way to note if an upgrade path will dead end on you. I'm thinking I'm gonna make the Bullfango hammer just because it's got sheer raw power on its side. I used a Ludroth hammer for a really long time in Tri, so I wanna try something different. It's still only in yellow sharpness is the only problem, and I have a feeling there aren't any upgrades beyond it.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Gem it up to attack up (m) or negate stun and it's pretty rad early game armour. I was dicking around in tanzia all day with my brother in it and unlocked the lagiacrus urgent while in it, along with my bearhorn.

I was gonna make the bunny armour just because I bet it's adorable, but if the peco armour is supre great for horn I guess I'll have to do that instead!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have extra code for the eGuide if anyone wants it:

REDEEMED - THANKS FOR PLAYING

It can be redeemed at https://www.bradygames.com/mh3uguide

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 20, 2013

Mr McDefault
Jan 25, 2006
Damn custom characters!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have extra code for the eGuide if anyone wants it:

58E73C72046B

It can be redeemed at https://www.bradygames.com/mh3uguide

Thanks! This will really help me a lot as I haven't really played a MH game before. Much appreciated.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I actually downloaded mine yesterday after picking up my copy. Holy crap this thing is over 500 pages long. :psyduck:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I actually downloaded mine yesterday after picking up my copy. Holy crap this thing is over 500 pages long. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's actually really nice - basically everything that I'd want from guides on GameFAQs or the like. The only thing it's missing is an actual tree for the weapon upgrades.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I only had like 3 armor sets I actually used a lot in Tri and it was Jaggi, Baggi, and Lagi. I'm not that far into TriiU yet but I had a Barroth helm with Jaggi set and it's easy to get AtkUp M. Or you can gem Negate Stun, which is really good on Gobul. Ludroth is pretty easy to get too and you can use it to fight Lagiacrus.

The only thing you should really care about on armor is skills and gem slots. Defense is a terrible stat in itself imo. If you're worried about a tough encounter then get the foodskill Defender(Hi), it's insane.

Generic Newbie advice: Always bring mega potions, there's no reason not to. They are easy to get if you have honey, and drinking First-aids in the middle of a fight is more of a detriment than helping you. If you have to drink during a fight, use a mega potion, or whatever the hell those other bigass heals are, Lifepowder?

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 20, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Yeah it does! You aren't a real Monster Hunter until you've made his head ridge fly.

I wish there was an in-game way to note if an upgrade path will dead end on you. I'm thinking I'm gonna make the Bullfango hammer just because it's got sheer raw power on its side. I used a Ludroth hammer for a really long time in Tri, so I wanna try something different. It's still only in yellow sharpness is the only problem, and I have a feeling there aren't any upgrades beyond it.

Final upgrade is Bull Tusk Hammer. 832 attack, green sharp, 2 gems, and 0 affinity. Fairly decent all around hammer for early game.

darkhand posted:

Generic Newbie advice: Always bring mega potions, there's no reason not to. They are easy to get if you have honey, and drinking First-aids in the middle of a fight is more of a detriment than helping you. If you have to drink during a fight, use a mega potion, or whatever the hell those other bigass heals are, Lifepowder?
And if you can't find a good opening to pop a pot, sharpen or eat without getting attacked, move to a different area to do it. I always stayed in the same area as the boss to do these things and would get plowed right after/during use. A friend showed me a better way.

Machai fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 20, 2013

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

My personal favorite hammer path for village stuff is the vanilla Iron Hammer->Anvil Hammer. The materials are all just ores (until Onslaught, iirc), so you can mine every time you unlock a new area and keep your weapon up to date. Great raw and sharpness as well.

darkhand posted:

I only had like 3 armor sets I actually used a lot in Tri and it was Jaggi, Baggi, and Lagi. I'm not that far into TriiU yet but I had a Barroth helm with Jaggi set and it's easy to get AtkUp M. Or you can gem Negate Stun, which is really good on Gobul. Ludroth is pretty easy to get too and you can use it to fight Lagiacrus.

If you use the lower defense Jaggi hat and slot one Attack deco, you can hit AtkUp M as well. It's a pretty versatile set, though I like Ludroth more for hammering.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Machai posted:

Final upgrade is Bull Tusk Hammer. 832 attack, green sharp, 2 gems, and 0 affinity. Fairly decent all around hammer for early game.

Well hell, that sounds alright. General all-purpose monster beating device.

Looks like I'm gonna have to step out of my weapon comfort zone if I want full Barroth. Gonna need to get a tail cut. Not sure I've tried for one of those before. He keeps his tail pretty high up, so the smaller blades are out. Seems like I'll need Great/Long Swords for this, yeah?

Each Barroth I've fought so far has been bigger than the one before it. At this rate it'll be Plesioth-sized by the time I get all the parts I need.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ChibiSoma posted:

Looks like I'm gonna have to step out of my weapon comfort zone if I want full Barroth. Gonna need to get a tail cut. Not sure I've tried for one of those before. He keeps his tail pretty high up, so the smaller blades are out. Seems like I'll need Great/Long Swords for this, yeah?

Each Barroth I've fought so far has been bigger than the one before it. At this rate it'll be Plesioth-sized by the time I get all the parts I need.

Switch Axe is also a good option if you want something faster, since it has a lot of vertical swing options between its two forms.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

elf help book posted:

I never want to change my bug princess armor.

Bug princess armor forever. :hfive:

I really wish they hadn't nefed the skills so hard on it, though. Taking away it's razor sharp for Paralysis negation makes it far less effective at general use.

However, it seems that was because Great Wroggi armor is the now the early armor with razor sharp. It also comes with shakalaka rally and poison negation. Oh, and it's actually cowboy armor. Like, cowboy armor made out of the skin of dinosaurs and armored steel. Full on cowboy hat, poncho, and boots. Bug princess armor is so much prettier, but it's hard not to love dressing up as a cowboy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

pixaal posted:

Turn the volume on the wiiPad to on, many people have it off. There should be a button that says mic OFF on the wiiPad press it so it says mic ON and now you can talk. Don't be an rear end in a top hat and hot mic, because the pad will echo poo poo due to how close the speaker is to the mic.

No one answered this it means not using push to talk in PC games (because of the "echo chamber" effect) Use the mute toggle. If 2 people have their mics on the pad will echo each of them making them horrible sounding banshie wails. (There is a reason Nintendo doesn't actually officially support that mic for in game chat)

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

GS is king for tail cutting, but can be difficult to learn properly. I prefer LS when I need to tail cut something requiring reach. Unsheath attack is vertical and can be followed up with another vertical cut with X (on 3DS, dunno what Wii-U equiv is). It is more mobile than GS which I find more useful for actually killing the monster once the tail has been cut. I have all of 1 quest worth of experience with SA, over a year ago in TRI, so idk how well that would go.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So.

I own Tri, and a way to play it.

I don't own Ultimate, but by the end of the year, will probably own a 3DS and a CPP, and would happily buy it.

I'm getting into this MH craze going on right now, and really want to start up Tri. But from what I heard, Ultimate is Tri, just several times bigger/better. If I plan to get Ultimate down the road, would it be better to just wait a year? Or are they different enough I could start up Tri now, learn how to play the game, then still enjoy Ultimate a few months from now.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Rookersh posted:

So.

I own Tri, and a way to play it.

I don't own Ultimate, but by the end of the year, will probably own a 3DS and a CPP, and would happily buy it.

I'm getting into this MH craze going on right now, and really want to start up Tri. But from what I heard, Ultimate is Tri, just several times bigger/better. If I plan to get Ultimate down the road, would it be better to just wait a year? Or are they different enough I could start up Tri now, learn how to play the game, then still enjoy Ultimate a few months from now.

The opening sequence (including cutscenes and missions) is identical to Tri in every way until you kill your first Jaggi. After that it's still almost identical but with some extra monsters thrown in and some quests changed around (that first jaggi is fought in sandy plains, for example). If that's going to bother you, wait. Otherwise, go ahead with it. It'll help you to appreciate the little changes they've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday it all started with me wanting to hold off on going back to my typical "Hammer and Great Sword everything" ways. One quest of trying out the hunting horn turned into hours of using it. I remember avoiding this thing over all the other weapons in Freedom Unite. This starting HH is pretty good too. health boost, attack/defense boost, movement speed+, and ESP. Love it.

• Locked thread