Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Alex WS posted:

Has anybody outside of a Club Nintendo supported country managed to register an account and reap rewards? Want to get in on that free game business.

I've heard of rumours of some using a proxy posting service to get those Club Nintendo goods. Free games? You'll probably need to set your 3DS to a country that is eligible for Club Nintendo, but can't vouch that'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Got a used Super Mario 3D Land for $15!

It's interesting to compare it to Mario 64 because Mario 64 was a wide-open exploring sort of game and Mario 3D Land is basically a traditional side-scrolling Mario game plus 3D. It's almost like Mario 64 from an alternate dimension, you know?

It's also interesting to note which mechanics were retained from Mario 64 and which weren't.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

glassyalabolas posted:

Black/Red, Black/Blue & White/Pink are the only colors available. The Pikachu one launches on 3/24.

I'm personally holding out for an all black XL, which every other country seems to have. gently caress you NOA.

Yeah, it sounds boring and all, but I kinda do want to get an all black XL as well, so I'm holding out for that. It doesn't help that I have an Aqua Blue 3DS right now, and they don't make that color anymore.

Pope Guilty posted:

Got a used Super Mario 3D Land for $15!

It's interesting to compare it to Mario 64 because Mario 64 was a wide-open exploring sort of game and Mario 3D Land is basically a traditional side-scrolling Mario game plus 3D. It's almost like Mario 64 from an alternate dimension, you know?

It's also interesting to note which mechanics were retained from Mario 64 and which weren't.

3D Land is great because it was always how I would've imagined a 3D Mario game would play like. Super Mario 64 was great and all, but there was less of an emphasis on actual platforming than I thought there'd be. I really hope they make more 3D Mario games in the same manner, or at the very least in Galaxy 2 quality.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's actually really making me wish they'd redo Mario 64 for the 3DS like they did Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time, but given the existence of Mario 64 for DS I'm guessing that that won't happen.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

It's actually really making me wish they'd redo Mario 64 for the 3DS like they did Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time, but given the existence of Mario 64 for DS I'm guessing that that won't happen.

Apparently the 3DS' analog stick/circle/what-have-you is much more ideal for controlling Mario in 64DS than the DS' D-Pad anyway, including analog sensitivity.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, much like the Pokémon or Professor Layton games, Inazuma Eleven is one single language per cart in Europe. Resell that one and try to find a cheap copy elsewhere from the UK, Portugal, Greece, or parts of Scandinavia. Those will be in English.

Okay thanks. Maybe I'll get the second one instead or wait for the 3DS Inazuma Eleven.

Does anyone know how much Monster Hunter is going to cost in the EU 3DS eshop? It's going to be £39.99 isn't it? Kind of sucks that digital releases on consoles seem to usually be a lot more expensive than the physical one. I know that's partly because of the highly competitive retailers in the UK but it's still a bit annoying.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

StevenM posted:

Apparently the 3DS' analog stick/circle/what-have-you is much more ideal for controlling Mario in 64DS than the DS' D-Pad anyway, including analog sensitivity.
Actually, I think you still have to hold down the run button if you do the d-pad + buttons setup (which is a lot like 3D Land), but the way the game feels on the circle pad is a lot better than the d-pad. I don't have a copy to test this on, so I'm going by what Google is telling me about it.

Still, I wouldn't be against a 3DS port of SM64, assuming they add more on top of what they added to SM64 (maybe even making Waluigi a playable character). :shobon:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Just bought an XL today plus Mario 3D World and I am immediately in love.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

While we're on the Mario train, I picked up New Super Mario Bros. 2 as part of the B2G1 sale at Target (was buying Monster Hunter for the Wii U, and figured I might as well get some 3DS games for cheap while I was at it), and so far I think this game has been pretty seriously underrated. The level design is easily on par with NSMBU, even if the visual style is basically a retread of NSMBWii. I haven't delved into Coin Rush yet, but it seems like it should be a good time since all the levels seem to be fairly suited to running through fast. And, I do have to say, I'm looking forward to picking up the Impossible pack since I hear it's actually difficult, which is something I haven't felt in a 2D Mario in a while.

I also got Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, and is there anything I should know before getting too far into the game? Any crops I should focus on/avoid, missable events or items I should hold onto/always sell?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

StevenM posted:

Dude, it's still a DS game. The only sensitivity of the circle pad with this game is "go" and "stop". Any difference experienced is strictly ergonomic, like swinging Bowser around is easier than pressing the four directions in order. It's not like they had the 3DS in mind when they released the game in 2004.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Dude, it's still a DS game. The only sensitivity of the circle pad with this game is "go" and "stop". Any difference experienced is strictly ergonomic, like swinging Bowser around is easier than pressing the four directions in order. It's not like they had the 3DS in mind when they released the game in 2004.

I was under the impression that the controls for 64DS were uniquely sloppy, in the sense that the input/output programming would work fine for analog controls but that coding was essentially filler or outright ignored in the DS port. Admittedly it was based on conjecture, relating to a random goon's account of the game in a previous DS/3DS thread.

I'd also like to see a gameplay video of Mighty Switch Force 2 as soon as possible.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

deadwing posted:

While we're on the Mario train, I picked up New Super Mario Bros. 2 as part of the B2G1 sale at Target (was buying Monster Hunter for the Wii U, and figured I might as well get some 3DS games for cheap while I was at it), and so far I think this game has been pretty seriously underrated. The level design is easily on par with NSMBU, even if the visual style is basically a retread of NSMBWii. I haven't delved into Coin Rush yet, but it seems like it should be a good time since all the levels seem to be fairly suited to running through fast. And, I do have to say, I'm looking forward to picking up the Impossible pack since I hear it's actually difficult, which is something I haven't felt in a 2D Mario in a while.

I also got Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, and is there anything I should know before getting too far into the game? Any crops I should focus on/avoid, missable events or items I should hold onto/always sell?

In Harvest Moon ANB, you basically want to store everything you pick up in the forest, and I mean EVERYTHING, small branches, small rocks (dont turn those into small lumber or stone) honeycombs, you can basically only sell any bugs (but not honeybees!) safely. There's a townbuildings element that requires you to build certain things, and it can be hard to get some of the items if you wait to collect and store stuff until you have to, like small branches and small stones. Also, you dont really need to water twice a day; once is fine, and the growth speed-up isnt much to be worth it to burn yourself out doing that, unless you are an OCD min/maxer. It's not worth it.

Also you can give Iroha just lumber to raise her affinity with you and she will give you blueprints for tools. The game is slow the first in-game month but it picks up and soon enough you wont have enough time in a day to do everything you want to, so dont get discouraged if it seems really slow to begin with.

edit: We do have a Harvest Moon thread somewhere that has a lot of good info, but beware the min/maxers; I've always found it really easy to get burned out on Harvest Moon and keeping it casual will keep it fun!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Ok I know people hate this port but you know what the thumb stylus was perfect for this and worked great.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Do we have a Mario Kart 7 community by any chance? I wasn't able to find a thread specifically for the game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'd also be up for straight up having the N64 VC catalog available. I'd like to have the original game playable on the 3DS.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

deadwing posted:

I don't think most people think it is a bad game as such. Most peoples problems with the game stems from the fact that it looks and plays almost exactly the same as all of the other games in its series and that the music leaves alot to be desired.

Releasing in the same year as NSMBU was a pretty bad life choice for them though. I assume people would have a similar, if not less extreme opinion if MK7 released in the same year the Wii U Mario Kart did, instead of over a year ago.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

deadwing posted:

And, I do have to say, I'm looking forward to picking up the Impossible pack since I hear it's actually difficult, which is something I haven't felt in a 2D Mario in a while.

Might want to temper your expectations. I bought the impossible pack and it was a big disappointment. The levels are certainly hard, but you can only play them in Coin Rush Mode. Which is super dumb, because there are no checkpoints in Coin Rush. Die once and you have to start the whole thing over. If not for the lack of checkpoints the pack honestly wouldn't even be that hard.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nickoten posted:

I'd also be up for straight up having the N64 VC catalog available. I'd like to have the original game playable on the 3DS.

Unfortunately, the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons to do a straight N64 VC. If you mapped everything directly (ie A to A), you'd have two unused buttons (X and Y), and five buttons left from the N64 (Z and the C buttons). You'd basically auve to customize the controls for every single game.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Artix posted:

Unfortunately, the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons to do a straight N64 VC. If you mapped everything directly (ie A to A), you'd have two unused buttons (X and Y), and five buttons left from the N64 (Z and the C buttons). You'd basically auve to customize the controls for every single game.
Do any N64 games even use all the buttons?
At the most all they'd have to do for each game is to set the circle pad and dpad to either the analog stick, dpad or C buttons and occasionally map the Z button to the 3DS' left shoulder button.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pyrovile posted:

Do any N64 games even use all the buttons?
At the most all they'd have to do for each game is to set the circle pad and dpad to either the analog stick, dpad or C buttons and occasionally map the Z button to the 3DS' left shoulder button.

Tell me more about how fun it would be to play something that uses the 3DS D-pad as the C buttons. It's possible, sure, but I can't imagine that it would he comfortable, or even playable depending on the game.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
Going back to Super Mario 64, its entirely possible to emulate that fucker and give it some simple 3D. Its the only way I could see Nintendo bringing it over because I doubt they'd want to drop too much money into something that A) Already got a remake that's within the consumer's recent memory and B) they know will sell like hotcakes anyway if they just release the original with "+3D" tagged on.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Artix posted:

Tell me more about how fun it would be to play something that uses the 3DS D-pad as the C buttons. It's possible, sure, but I can't imagine that it would he comfortable, or even playable depending on the game.

For many games the C-buttons were used as camera control so mapping them to the 3DS D-pad wouldn't be that uncomfortable. They could also go the route of making the Circle Pad Pro mandatory for N64 VC games and map the C buttons to the extra stick.

Regardless I don't think 3DS VC is part of Nintendo's primary focus right now with the woes they are having concerning the Wii U. I reckon we'll be very lucky to get anything other than GB and GBC games for the forseeable future as even GBA VC games seems to be headed to the Wii U (which is loving stupid IMO but I digress...).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Janministrator posted:

Going back to Super Mario 64, its entirely possible to emulate that fucker and give it some simple 3D. Its the only way I could see Nintendo bringing it over because I doubt they'd want to drop too much money into something that A) Already got a remake that's within the consumer's recent memory and B) they know will sell like hotcakes anyway if they just release the original with "+3D" tagged on.

They probably won't because if they released a new updated 3D version they would finally need to lower the price on the DS version.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I don't get what people base "it can't possibly be that hard to _____" statements about game development on. It might just be me but I generally assume that this stuff is, in fact, really complicated!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artix posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a game that uses the dpad/analog stick and the c buttons as the main control scheme. The only one I can think of is Pokemon Stadium and you aren't required to use the dpad and C buttons at the same time anyway (actually, it would make sense to have ABXY to pull double duty, as the A and B buttons don't do anything when you're using the C buttons anyway).

But the whole point is moot, since I doubt we're gonna see any VC N64 games and if any other N64 games are ported they'll use an optimized control scheme or map extra buttons to the touchscreen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lelandjs posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a game that uses the dpad/analog stick and the c buttons as the main control scheme. The only one I can think of is Pokemon Stadium and you aren't required to use the dpad and C buttons at the same time anyway (actually, it would make sense to have ABXY to pull double duty, as the A and B buttons don't do anything when you're using the C buttons anyway).

But the whole point is moot, since I doubt we're gonna see any VC N64 games and if any other N64 games are ported they'll use an optimized control scheme or map extra buttons to the touchscreen.

Didn't all the FPS games on the 64 have movement on analogue stick and camera on c buttons?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Len posted:

Didn't all the FPS games on the 64 have movement on analogue stick and camera on c buttons?

I remember South Park having the opposite, I think; movement on c buttons and camera on analogue stick.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cross posting from the eShop thread, but I'm fishing for Fractured Soul impressions. We used to talk about it on occasion before its release (it has a weird development history), but since it's been out I haven't heard anything. Did anyone actually play it?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I think Turok did that as well. Didn't control half as well as Goldeneye, and Turok 2 had a Goldeneye-style control scheme option that worked way better. Shame the fog was even worse.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope we get more N64 games in 3d.

The ones we really need are Majora's Mask (with some awesome improvements), Mischief Makers, and Mario 64.

Mischief Makers might be a tough sell, but the other two should be printing money. I know Ocarina did well in sales, but was Nintendo satisfied with Star Fox 64 3D?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Cross posting from the eShop thread, but I'm fishing for Fractured Soul impressions. We used to talk about it on occasion before its release (it has a weird development history), but since it's been out I haven't heard anything. Did anyone actually play it?

The demo was fun but that's all I can comment on.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Saoshyant posted:

There is a demo on the Eu shop. About that, I don't know, I don't like it too much because it looks like Megaman with good elements but offensively bland maps and a "beat your last time" structure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

I hope we get more N64 games in 3d.

The ones we really need are Majora's Mask (with some awesome improvements), Mischief Makers, and Mario 64.

Mischief Makers might be a tough sell, but the other two should be printing money. I know Ocarina did well in sales, but was Nintendo satisfied with Star Fox 64 3D?

Majora's Mask is pretty much a matter of time given it'd be on the same engine as the OoT remake, though I'd bet solid money on it coming out next year - they've got Wind Waker HD and the new Legend of Zelda coming this year and don't want it to conflict with those. Also, Mischief Makers doesn't get enough love, and a 3DS remake would be awesome. That said, what I personally want to see is a Sin and Punishment game on the 3DS.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Didn't Nintendo say they wanted an original 3DS Zelda before a MM remake? If they've got two original games and a remake to get through first, it might be a while.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Len posted:

There was an alternate control scheme for Goldeneye which used the C-buttons for movement and the stick for aiming. I thought it owned, but nobody else I knew used it.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it doable to play Super Mario 3D Land without the 3D turned on? I basically can't see the 3D effect from the 3Ds(or 3D movies) due to one of my eyes, and I've heard a lot about how the games uses 3D in really neat way. Is the game still playable without 3D, or should I just not bother?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freaksaus posted:

Is it doable to play Super Mario 3D Land without the 3D turned on? I basically can't see the 3D effect from the 3Ds(or 3D movies) due to one of my eyes, and I've heard a lot about how the games uses 3D in really neat way. Is the game still playable without 3D, or should I just not bother?

It's 100% playable. There are even alternate camera angles for the few bonus stages designed with the 3D in mind.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Freaksaus posted:

Yeah, it's no problem. I can't see 3D either and for the most part I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything too important with most 3DS games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As someone who can see 3D, I leave it off because you have to strain your eyes to see the 3D. I'll look at it for a bit because it's like I'm looking in a box with the action going on, but it's not fun to play in 3D for long periods of time. Especially if you are switching from the 3D screen to a tablet or e-Reader to check a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Good news eurogoons, Nintendo Europe and German gaming watchdog USK have come to an agreement and now you can browse all the 18+ smut you crave on your 3DS and Wii U.

Now if only there was downloadable 18+ vileness you could download on the 3DS for unsuspecting young vulnerable minds...

• Locked thread