Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Suleman posted:

That's hardly authentic. I can't see your junk through your jumpsuit.

I have other photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I hope this dude's an opera singer

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
That's a pretty good Walking Dead Carl in the background there.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is that Omar from The Wire on the left?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Richards's ALIVE?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
This just showed up on Kotaku's daily cosplay article or whatever:

also I just noticed the arrow in the knee.

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
I'm hoping this is the best place to ask for advice.

I'm going to Ayacon at the University of Warwick (UK) in August, and whilst I'm not planning on cosplaying for the whole weekend, one of the big events is a formal cosplay ball, with formal wear a requirement for entry. I've never cosplayed before, and I'm fat. Ideally, I'd like to cosplay to my body type, but needing a formal version of a character's outfit. What I'm really needing is some suggestions for which characters might be suitable for me to cosplay as, if you guys wouldn't mind providing said suggestions?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

QueenOfMistakes posted:

I'm going to Ayacon at the University of Warwick (UK) in August, and whilst I'm not planning on cosplaying for the whole weekend, one of the big events is a formal cosplay ball, with formal wear a requirement for entry. I've never cosplayed before, and I'm fat. Ideally, I'd like to cosplay to my body type, but needing a formal version of a character's outfit. What I'm really needing is some suggestions for which characters might be suitable for me to cosplay as, if you guys wouldn't mind providing said suggestions?

How fat are we talking? Could just get a suit or rent a tux and go as Kingpin.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Just wanted to post up that there is a cosplay creation thread too if you are needing some advice or have something you want to show off. Some amazing prop and armor folks in there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

QueenOfMistakes posted:

Kingpin or The Penguin?

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
I'm female. And it's an anime con.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

QueenOfMistakes posted:

Do some gender bender/swap whatever? Like the female version of this and that character?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

QueenOfMistakes posted:

Could you just do a general Gothic Lolita look? OR a sweet kimono? I haven't really seen a ton on anime. In any case wear whatever character costume you want.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Splicer is a good option for everybody!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

QueenOfMistakes posted:

Maybe fat Shinobu Wakamiya from Chihayafuru. Formal wear would be a kimono, like the one she wears in the Queen matches at the end of the first season. Not sure how easy it would be to get a hold of a kimono though.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
You can be the Cowlipha of Mamoon from Ni No Kuni, and wear a tiara

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Or you could, you know, go as any drat character you want. And if someone gives you poo poo about your figure they can just gently caress off.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QueenOfMistakes posted:

Have you thought of doing a high class Heavy Weapons Gal? I'm sure that would go over smashingly.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Choco1980 posted:

Or you could, you know, go as any drat character you want. And if someone gives you poo poo about your figure they can just gently caress off.

For the love of god, this. Do whatever the hell you want and have an awesome time.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Lumpy Space Princess is generally a pretty big hit.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Seconding lumpy space princess. I always avoided cosplay because I was super uncomfortable about dressing up as a thin character when I was a big fat girl. I dressed up as lsp for emerald city comic con and had a ton of fun with it. I was comfortable dressing up as the character and got nothing but great responses from people who saw me, not a single snide comment.

It is also a super easy costume to make and would work great for a dance. Whatever pretty purple dress you want and a purple wig with a yellow star hooked to it. Easy!

Arbor Day
Jun 24, 2004

vrooom vrooom crash

Choco1980 posted:

I'd say exactly this. If you do it well, who gives a gently caress if you don't match the body type? Have fun, and gently caress everyone else.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Rice Sucks posted:

I'd say exactly this. If you do it well, who gives a gently caress if you don't match the body type? Have fun, and gently caress everyone else.

People sperg out about the tiniest little details in costumes and you expect them to not sperg out over some character being (for lack of a better word) misrepresented by someone of the wrong body size? Spergs gonn sperg, bro.

That being said I don't really have a problem with it, but from what I've seen playing to your natural body traits tends to result in a better overall cosplay anyway. That LSP in this thread is awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If your position isn't "gently caress the spergs" I dunno what to tell you.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
People are way meaner on the internet, too. The worst thing anybody's ever said to me about my cosplay in person is that women just dress up in 40k outfits to get male attention, what the christ. I think it can be harder to make a costume that doesn't fit your body type--I had a difficult time with my last suit of armor because the character was super slender and boyish but I'm much more hourglass-y and the breastplate just wasn't going to be perfectly accurate. But I agree, unless you're not comfortable with it, we're talking about playing dress-up here. Be whoever you want.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
nthing the "do whatever you want to do and gently caress the haters". There are some gorgeous ball dress type costumes out there which will work on pretty much any body type even if it's not strictly "accurate", I've seen some lovely larger-lady cosplays of the Rose Bride dress and other Utena ball gowns among others.

I'm a pretty fat chick and the costume I'm planning for this weekend could be described as "ill advised" but gently caress it, I wanna do it so I am.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
My summer costume plan is to be a lady space marine from StarCraft. The regular ones, not a fruity ghost or medic. :colbert:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Yea you have to do it for your self, regardless of body type if you only do outfits of characters you think you fit or people think you fit but you don't really know or like them you won't have a good time. I almost bailed on the hobby because I wasn't having fun because people kept putting me in the tall characters or boy characters because I am a bit of an amazon that's fine and I chose to go along but I can tell you I really didn't enjoy them as much as the characters you love. Besides it makes the creation process more of a chore if its not a labor of love and more a labor of oh well it's the best for me.

For me my big plan is going to be start planning out Skarre from Warmachine I want my skull chimneys to smoke/vapor/something. Also I am planning to venture into chain-mail for the first time. Gonna hate/love that.

LadyRavenWaves has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Mar 21, 2013

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Look at this chump. Look at him.

Finn isn't some swoled up lumberjack type. This guy is way overweight for this costume.

Finn doesn't even have a beard, come on.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

McPantserton posted:

My summer costume plan is to be a lady space marine from StarCraft. The regular ones, not a fruity ghost or medic. :colbert:

Which is actually perfectly fine as some of the Starcraft books actually feature female marines that aren't medics and ghosts. :v:
Could've sworn there were at least a couple of them in the Speed of Darkness book even if it has been ages since I read it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Cooked Auto posted:

Which is actually perfectly fine as some of the Starcraft books actually feature female marines that aren't medics and ghosts. :v:
Could've sworn there were at least a couple of them in the Speed of Darkness book even if it has been ages since I read it.

Hey, awesome! I thought it made sense anyway if they're all just convicts but in the game all the sprites/models are the same. Either way, it's going to happen (not only because I want to be a huge badass but also because I don't want to build a totally separate set of blanks, eugh).

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

McPantserton posted:

Hey, awesome! I thought it made sense anyway if they're all just convicts but in the game all the sprites/models are the same. Either way, it's going to happen (not only because I want to be a huge badass but also because I don't want to build a totally separate set of blanks, eugh).

Considering how bad rear end your groups WH40k stuff is I'm looking forward to this a lot. :black101:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

drat, I can only dream of my beard being that manly. :sigh:

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
I hope I'm not leeching :ohdear:

*edit* fixed tags

Orunitier has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Mar 21, 2013

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
Thanks, everyone. I think I've decided on my cosplay now - I'm pretty much set on cosplaying Stocking from Panty and Stocking. Mainly because I love the hair.

And there is one episode where she gains a lot of weight, so it's totally canon in case anyone does give me grief.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

QueenOfMistakes posted:

Thanks, everyone. I think I've decided on my cosplay now - I'm pretty much set on cosplaying Stocking from Panty and Stocking. Mainly because I love the hair.

And there is one episode where she gains a lot of weight, so it's totally canon in case anyone does give me grief.

If anyone gives you grief send them our way.

Anyways love this Ice Queen dress. Like I would like to own it.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Dump from PAX East today here. I just got this nifty new point and shoot and apparently drastically overestimated its abilities. Or I'm just not using it right, could be either.

I don't know what any of these are, but I believe they're all from League of Legends.

...Yeah, screw you too random person's elbow.

Krieger and his girlfriendwaifu.

Variety Pack! Team Fortress 2, Metal Gear?, generic zombie?

Spider man on assignment.

A zombie. Apparently she was connected with the booth behind her, either way looked cool.

Zelda related I believe.

Formal uniform shepard.

Morinth disguised as Samara. I think.

No idea whatsoever on these next two. Anybody know?

Italian plumbers.

Vault dweller and high elf dragonborn.

Batman villain collection. That color caste will teach me to not shoot in RAW...

Anyhow, I'll be back there tomorrow with a camera trying to take pictures of interesting costumes as I wander around. I'm really surprised how many there are at PAX, I had been led to believe that cosplay wasn't that big of a thing there. Also if anybody knows what anything is please let me know! I feel kind of bad thinking the costume looks neat but I have no idea what it is.

fralbjabar has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010
I will never ever get tired of seeing Kreiger and Waifu cosplay.

• Locked thread