Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDB
Mar 21, 2013
Now that we all kinda agree to a certain degree (heh, rhymes) that Nagito is guilty of something which kinda knocks him off the partner roll, there is something else I would like to open up for discussion: who do you think will take the roll of being Hinatas partner in crime this time around? Or rather, his Kirigiri? (This is assuming that we are right and something happens during the trail with Nagito that he either is the criminal, or gets figured out that he was attempting murder which would make the others distrust him.)

I'm banking on two people, mostly Nanami because she is the one who came up with the idea to check underneath the floorboards, she is a silent type like Kirigiri and she hasn't really disagreed at all really with Hinata. Also, she seems to be one of the most levelheaded people in the cast so thats another reason why I think she will be a big asset. That AND she is a gamer so I just don't want her to die anytime soon.

Either Nanami, or Koizumi because she is very vocal about what she thinks about the case (so far at least).

Sorry if this has already been discussed already, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

BigDB posted:

Now that we all kinda agree to a certain degree (heh, rhymes) that Nagito is guilty of something which kinda knocks him off the partner roll, there is something else I would like to open up for discussion: who do you think will take the roll of being Hinatas partner in crime this time around? Or rather, his Kirigiri? (This is assuming that we are right and something happens during the trail with Nagito that he either is the criminal, or gets figured out that he was attempting murder which would make the others distrust him.)

I'm banking on two people, mostly Nanami because she is the one who came up with the idea to check underneath the floorboards, she is a silent type like Kirigiri and she hasn't really disagreed at all really with Hinata. Also, she seems to be one of the most levelheaded people in the cast so thats another reason why I think she will be a big asset. That AND she is a gamer so I just don't want her to die anytime soon.

Either Nanami, or Koizumi because she is very vocal about what she thinks about the case (so far at least).

Sorry if this has already been discussed already, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

I'll agree with you on the idea of Chiaki being Hajime's Kirigiri, and I'm also going to take a wild guess and say that the role of this game's Togami, at least investigation wise, will be... Gundam. Well someone has to be, and I don't think Kuzuryuu is going to be active at all in investgating the murders.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

RefinedUndefined posted:

I'll agree with you on the idea of Chiaki being Hajime's Kirigiri, and I'm also going to take a wild guess and say that the role of this game's Togami, at least investigation wise, will be... Gundam. Well someone has to be, and I don't think Kuzuryuu is going to be active at all in investgating the murders.

I'm guessing that Komaeda is going to be the Togami. The very antagonistic(Togami actually antagonistic, Komaeda more of a good-hearted antagonist) part of the group, but also extremely helpful during trials and investigations. He's already the Kirigiri as far as we know.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Here's a sketch as a thanks to Oren, Fedule, and HelloWinter for their SHSL effort on this let's play and to add to the growing collection of fan art:

resized due to hugeness of picture

Large version

It might have been posted before but is there anywhere we can look at other "no spoiler" fan art that was contributed?

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

theonlypie314SA posted:

Here's a sketch as a thanks to Oren, Fedule, and HelloWinter for their SHSL effort on this let's play and to add to the growing collection of fan art:

resized due to hugeness of picture

Large version

It might have been posted before but is there anywhere we can look at other "no spoiler" fan art that was contributed?

In order: Holy crap, holy poo poo, you're awesome followed by there being links on the first page in Fedule's post that holds the pictures up to a certian point.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

HangedManArcana posted:

In order: Holy crap, holy poo poo, you're awesome followed by there being links on the first page in Fedule's post that holds the pictures up to a certian point.

Specifically, here is the collection of general/spoiler-free fanart that's been posted so far. ("Spoiler Free" simply meaning, "does not show events from beyond the prologue".) I'm also collecting the others, which will go in a separate post after Chapter 1 (and will continue to sort fanart by chapter-spoiliness).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't think Nagito's impersonating Naegi, but doing something far weirder: parodying him. I don't know why, but Nagito kind of strikes me as an exaggerated version of Naegi in a lot of ways. I...have no idea why "Nagito" (because come on, that can't be his real name) would be doing this, though. It's kind of too early to figure any of that out at the moment.

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I don't think Nagito's impersonating Naegi, but doing something far weirder: parodying him. I don't know why, but Nagito kind of strikes me as an exaggerated version of Naegi in a lot of ways. I...have no idea why "Nagito" (because come on, that can't be his real name) would be doing this, though. It's kind of too early to figure any of that out at the moment.

I think that actually makes some sense, especially when you consider that Monomi could be acting like a parody of the concept of hope and putting on an elaborate show with Monobear, to show hope as useless and ineffectual. That's how it comes off to me at least.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

slowbeef tries to get through an episode of retsutalk without mentioning the LP.

does he succeed?
http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1k3W_8wCcc8
(he didn't mention Dangan Ronpa in episode 18)

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 22, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

pandaK posted:

slowbeef tries to get through an episode of retsutalk without mentioning the LP.

does he succeed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3W_8wCcc8

That's beautiful.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Shoot, didn't even get to post my own video. Oh well, at least now you can enjoy the pages of the exact same theories with more and more words, now in convenient audio form.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
All I can keep hearing from that is EVERYONE IS A ROBOT ON THEIR PERIOD, oh god :saddowns:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Spatula City posted:

Clearly, the ghost of Junko Enoshima has posessed Hagakure through a hair transplant that he got after his hair got cut off by Cyborg Ninja Syo.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Miss Kalle posted:

All I can keep hearing from that is EVERYONE IS A ROBOT ON THEIR PERIOD, oh god :saddowns:

The fun part is to listen to the mashup and create your own fun new theory to gather evidence for and defend to the death!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

pandaK posted:

What show is the video clip from? Also, you might want to change it to a polsy link, because someone might get spoilers in the suggestions.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
For some reason I could believe that first part, just because they had amnesia in the first game and never really felt the need to explain it.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Obscil posted:

What show is the video clip from? Also, you might want to change it to a polsy link, because someone might get spoilers in the suggestions.

The show is Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! I believe the name of the episode was Jackie Chan.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Clearly, the ghost of Junko Enoshima has posessed Hagakure through a hair transplant that he got after his hair got cut off by Cyborg Ninja Syo.

This is one of the most beautiful theories from this thread. :golfclap:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Everyone is a snatcher.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Conro101 posted:

The show is Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! I believe the name of the episode was Jackie Chan.

Yeah, here's the original.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Phase 7 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 7 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

COUNTERARGUMENT SHOWDOWN START

Evidence Blades: Irons at the Storage Room / Tablecloth in the Storage Room / Air Conditioner Timer / Night-vision goggles / Duralumin case

If the irons in the storage room are the cause of the blackout...

In order for the culprit to fire up those irons...

They would have to go to the storage room, wouldn’t they?

In that case, the people who were in the big hall when the power outage occurred...

Should be removed from the suspect list, right?!

- DEVELOPMENT -

No, the people who were in the big hall...

...are not yet removed from suspicion!

The people who were in the big hall could not have caused the blackout!

If the irons were the trigger for that power outage...

It means the culprit went to the storage room just before the blackout started...

...And turned on those irons!

Or, perhaps, you wish to withdraw your previous statements?!

It's undeniable that the irons caused the blackout, but it wasn't just them!

There's still only one Weak Point here (later there will be more in these segments), and it's pretty obvious what goes with it.

Air Conditioner Timer >>> If the irons were the trigger for that power outage...

I'LL CUT THAT CLAIM TO PIECES!

Trial 9 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 9 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

The irons did cause the power outage, but they weren't the direct trigger for it...
The direct trigger was the air conditioners in the big hall and the office turning on.

A...AIR CONDITIONERS?!

Both air conditioners were set to turn on at 11:30...

11:30... That's about the same time that Mr. Porkfeet died!

So... the moment those air conditioners turned on, the breakers flipped, causing the blackout...

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! You got me! I am fully convinced!

...Monkey’s uncle?!

The culprit must have investigated the power limit at the old lodge beforehand, and set up enough irons to just barely reach it.
Then, all they had to do was set up the air conditioner's timers and wait for them to turn on...

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! They could cause the power outage even were Pekoyama-san still in the office!

He got to Sonia-san?!

It is also possible... that they might have asked Monobear about the power limit.

Gasp!

Did she hit the jackpot?! How detestable... You deserve to die a thousand times over...!

A thousand times? If I die that many times, I'd really be dead...

Shut up, you two!

I wouldn't been able to prevent the blackout even if I had stayed in the office. But, nevertheless, I am ashamed...
Had I stayed, I might have been able to quickly reset the breakers... That might have prevented this horrible incident from occurring...

No, the fusebox in that office is too high for any of us to reach...
It would've been impossible for you to reset the breakers... even if it wasn’t pitch black at the time.

...Seems you shouldn’t worry about it too much.

We seem to have a cunning culprit on our hands... I'm starting to worry that we’ll never find them.

It's fine. There's no need for worry.
I mean, come on! It’s just some killer, right? What chance can they possibly stand against the students who were branded the symbols of hope?!

...Eh?

There's no way we're going to lose here. An incident of this level isn’t an obstacle! It’s a mere stepping stone!

In the end, hope is going to win! I have full confidence in that!

K...Komaeda...? What's up with you...?

Eh? What's wrong?

I mean... up until now you kept saying the culprit couldn't possibly be one of us...

I did? Oh, well. More importantly, let's go back to discussing the incident.

As we were saying... we now know how the power outage was set up. The problem is... who actually did all of that.

Anyone could have secretly set up the air conditioner timers...
The irons are the same... anyone could have come in before Togami-kun did and put them in the storage room...

...That's a problem. It seems it could've been any one of us, doesn't it?

...What are you trying to say?

He's saying that's when all is said and done we still haven't really figured anything out!

Eh? Even after so much debate?

Unfortunately, that is the truth...
We talked about the incident that much, and yet we haven't found a single clue leading to the culprit...

But... that's just natural, isn't it? I mean... there's no way the culprit is one of us.

Hey... didn't you just change what you're saying again?

Anyway... I’d like to suggest what we should do now...
Hey, everyone. Don't tell me you haven't ever felt like this...

Don't tell me you never felt it better to die trusting your friends than to survive suspecting them...

A...Are you saying we should just give up and die?!

Komaeda! What the hell is wrong with you?!

What's wrong with me? What's wrong with me is that's something wrong with all of you!
You keep blaming and accusing each other... I think that's utter madness!

Let's just stop it! We don't really have to find the culprit, do we?

I hate it! We're all friends - I don't want to do such things!

I...I don't like it either...

M...Me too! I...I just wanna go back home!

Waaaaaaaaaah! I wanna go home and eat lots of candy!

S...Stop it.... I...If everyone starts acting like that, I’m gonna... I’m...!

C...Calm down, everyone!

We're comrades, aren't we...? There's no way that murder would happen between comrades, right...?

Then why the hell is Togami dead?!

Who cares why...? Let's just give up, already...

After all, there isn't a single clue leading to the culprit...

You've got that wrong!

...I think.

...Did you say something?

I mean... we've already found a clue that can lead us to the culprit, haven't we?

We... did?

Do you know who the culprit is?

I can’t say for sure that it’s the culprit... But there is a clue that points to one suspicious person... I think.

Oh? In that case, let's hear it. What is this clue you're speaking of?

First, we should think about how the culprit could get to the knife during the blackout.

We already figured that out... They used glow-in-the-dark paint for that, didn't they?

That's not it... I'm talking about before they used that.

Before...?

Does she mean... how could the culprit get to that table?

Even if the culprit used the glow-in-the-dark paint to actually pick up the knife... In order to get to that point they...

...They’d have had to actually find the table in the middle of the blackout.

Let's check the state of things at the time... The map Koizumi drew can probably help us.

The one that shows where everyone was standing just before the blackout, right? Um... here it is.

That's it...! That map really is a clue...!
The way for someone to move to the table in pitch darkness...

...is clearly shown on this map.

In order to reach the table...

The culprit probably... used that to help them move through the dark.

SPOT SELECT START

Occasionally during the trial, we will be required to point out something in a still picture. Please try to ignore how this is copied directly form Phoenix Wright, even more so than the other trial elements.

IT'S HERE!

The culprit probably used the tabletop lamp in order to move to the table in the darkness.

That tabletop lamp...? You aren't saying they used its light, are you?

With the lodge devoid of power? None could have used that lamp.

The culprit didn't use the lamp's light, of course. What he used was...

The lightbulb / The lamp's weight / The tablecloth / The lamp cord

THIS PROVES IT!

The culprit didn't use the lamp’s light. They used its power cord.

T...The power cord?

If they moved by following the cord, they could reach the table the lamp was standing on, right?

Then, after they moved all the way to the table, they could use the glow-in-the-dark paint as a landmark and get that knife.

On top of that... among all of us, there's only one person who could have done that.

W...Who is that?

The person among us who could do all that...

SUGGEST A SUSPECT!

orenronen fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 22, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oh man I'm so glad I decided Nanami was my favorite from the start :allears:

Also Komaeda is just getting more confusing by the minute :psyduck:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

You've got that wrong!

Chiaki's pretty awesome.

Still can't tell if Nagito actually killed Togami or if it was just a foiled attempt.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I really liked Sonia learning a new idiom, then immediately turning around and using it on her very next line.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TOGAMI. IT WAS TOGAMI.

Man, I couldn't tell if Nagito wanted to find the culprit or let him go free. Monomi wishing death upon someone is a little creepy, too... :stonk:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Nagito you're not good at this are you

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nice to see Hinata can notice when someone's being skeevy as hell. That was honestly kinda creepy.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I really can't decide what's my favorite part: Sonya saying "monkey's uncle" or Chiaki's "You've got that wrong!" :allears:

Also gee I wonder who the suspect is?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
It's pretty clearly leading up to Nagito. :smith:

I still have some hope it's all a red herring, though. Hanamura's reactions were pretty strange, and I wouldn't put it past this game to have us suggest a murderer, debate it out, then have to choose again.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Of course, Nagito and Togami were the familiar aspects of this game to players coming in from the previous game. So by killing them off first, all we're left is completely unfamiliar territory and no one to trust. :cry:

I still really do not want it to be Nagito...we still don't know what the hell is up with him.

EDIT: On to something that isn't speculation. I really don't like the new debate "minigame" which is just a pixel hunt. It completely distracts from what's going on. Although they do have a timer on it so I'm assuming if you can't figure it out the game will move on regardless.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 22, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Suspicious or not, there's still no way it could have been Nagito who actually did the deed, unless he tricked Hanamura into it somehow and that counts.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Nagito's going to be revealed as attempting to murder someone, but it's pretty clear that the actual murderer was someone else. It explains why he's getting so flustered, too - he knows that it was someone under the floorboards that killed Togami but saying he knows that would require explaining that he was attempting to murder someone when he found out.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Nagito is definately looking more and more suspicious as it goes, at the very least he seems very eager to make everyone give up. Maybe he really would rather die trusting everyone than figure out who the culprit is, but if that was the case then why would he have helped search for clues at all.
Evidence still seems to point to our resident chef though so I feel it's more likely to be him in the end.
Considering it looks like we'll be suspecting Nagito the blackouts exchange for him and Togami seem to match up to previous predictions

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Looks like Chiaki is going to be this game's Kirigiri, which is good, since that gives her better odds of surviving than the others.

Goddammit, Nagito, I was convinced you were evil from the fifth update on, but that speech and pose still unnerved me.

I didn't think he'd just go showing his true colors this early. I don't think he's the killer, though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Pretty obviously Nagito. I mean, all you need to do is see the map.

More than that, I'm really liking Chiaki. Honestly this update more or less spells out that Chiaki is going to be the helper character and that Nagito is just a red herring in that regard. He's acting just...well crazy. It was seriously spooky how everyone just began freaking out all at once when he began saying that crap about how they were all doomed. It's hard to say what his motivations are, but I still wouldn't call him the murderer.

Edit: Also is "monkey's uncle" such an obscure reference that not even Sonia would get it? It's not super popular, but it's fairly well known outside of Japan.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wow, nice little semi-freakout there Nagito. Would they really re-use the same first murder from the last game (would-be killer getting the tables turned on them)?

pandaK posted:

does he succeed?
http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1k3W_8wCcc8

Best post in the thread so far.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 18, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

C-Euro posted:

Would they really re-use the same first murder from the last game (would-be killer getting the tables turned on them)?

I'm pretty sure Togami wasn't attempting to kill anyone.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Even if Komaeda didn't actually kill Togami, it's looking like he was up to something pretty fishy. One of the things we didn't really get in the first game was someone who we know attempted to kill someone hanging around after the trials and the other students having to deal with that. I guess Aoi, but that was just kinda glossed over, and she didn't actively try and like strangle anyone or anything. This could be great.

Komaeda being a parody of Naegi sounds even more legit now. Whereas Naegi could say a few words and inspire his fellow students, Komaeda just spoke a few sentences and all the other students start to be consumed by despair. I'll be interested to see if this is a recurring theme throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nagito isn't trying to get away with murder. Unless he is actually trying to kill everyone there including himself (it seems way too early in the game for that sort of plot twist), he is off the hook. If no one is convicted at the trial, they all die including the murderer. The murderer needs someone else to be convicted in order to survive. The two ways of ensuring such an outcome are to frame someone else, or else concoct an alibi.

Right now, only 4 people have alibis. Peko was taking a SHIIIIIITTTT, Kuzuryuu wasn't in the building, Nanami was with Monomi, and Hanamura was at the entrance of the ballroom having just come from the kitchen. Only one of these has any ambiguity involved. It is no 'finding the culprit's name written in blood', but things seem pretty clear now.

• Locked thread