Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Can someone just travel into the future and tell me if I'll ever get a rustshard so I can get to hunting again instead of getting antsy about being on a cursed table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

edgeman83 posted:

I have always found Qurupeco in general a pain to capture. Last night I had him limping so I set a trap down. The fucker started hovering right over the trap. He eventually landed on the other side of the map and then flew off.

This will happen if you use pitfall traps with flying monsters. I think burrowing monsters are immune to them also but I don't use pit traps so I can't really remember.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Lexorin posted:

This will happen if you use pitfall traps with flying monsters. I think burrowing monsters are immune to them also but I don't use pit traps so I can't really remember.

It'll happen if you use any trap if the Qurupeco is feeling like being a dick that day

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bland posted:

It'll happen if you use any trap if the Qurupeco is feeling like being a dick that day

So it'll happen constantly is what you're saying.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Mine too whilst they're at it. The site keeps crashing on me whenever I try to check my table. I don't really care about getting a perfect table but I don't want to invest time in a save game which will lock me out of certain weapons. My Husband and I started our games at the same time and through sheer luck he got one lot of results back which included table 10. But it would be nice to check with my own fishing hauls.

I know people have mentioned that this sort of thing has been in the game before but not so overly obvious to check or fix. Does that mean in previous games some people might have just been locked out of rust shards and would never know?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ChibiSoma posted:

So it'll happen constantly is what you're saying.

Yes :unsmigghh:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Serenity Dove posted:

I know people have mentioned that this sort of thing has been in the game before but not so overly obvious to check or fix. Does that mean in previous games some people might have just been locked out of rust shards and would never know?

Charm Tables are new to Ultimate, P3 (the previous game with tables) didn't have horribly awful broken ones without rustshards.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, where and how do I appraise my Rustshards?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Serenity Dove posted:

Mine too whilst they're at it. The site keeps crashing on me whenever I try to check my table. I don't really care about getting a perfect table but I don't want to invest time in a save game which will lock me out of certain weapons. My Husband and I started our games at the same time and through sheer luck he got one lot of results back which included table 10. But it would be nice to check with my own fishing hauls.

In previous games it changed the rng seed every time you started the game, so while you might not be able to get any great stuff that session, next time you play you'd probably be on a different table and everything would be fine. This game it locks you in when you hit the new game button so it's really dumb and I hate it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, where and how do I appraise my Rustshards?

Rewards screen, it happens automatically.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Bland posted:

Pit traps will never work on Qurupeco. Shock traps will always work assuming you can get him to walk into one, which can be difficult. Just make sure he's at his final destination area before you drop it. If you can catch him sleeping then that's a good indicator that he's in his final area. If you're not sure, beat on him a little and see if he flys off.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

All gunlance explosions are raw damage. The element is for the stabby part. Gunlances do differ in the shape of the explosion they spit out, though.

e: Added quote because I post slow.

e2: Kind of a pet peeve I have--your wording makes me think you're under the misconception that gunlances are ranged weapons. I'm probably wrong though.

Nope. I just was curious if when you picked up an elemental gunlance if it converted the blast/raw damage to the elemental type of the weapon instead of raw.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That's cool, then. Have you looked into the different explosion spreads? They should have different-size clips, if I recall correctly. Unless things have changed, Wide shells (I think) are generally the best bet, but require the most reloading.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Emalde posted:

Rewards screen, it happens automatically.

I could swear I got some from the boats or something. Are those useless?

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
Do I need to do anything special to get barroth's tail? I've carved it four times now and just gotten ridges.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

It's all luck, HAVE FUN!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bowrrl posted:

Do I need to do anything special to get barroth's tail? I've carved it four times now and just gotten ridges.

Are ya chopping it off or are you just moving down to the tail once you kill him? Gotta actually lob that thing off with a sword to get its carve.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bowrrl posted:

Carved him or his actual tail? If the former, you need to cut off his tail during the fight with a slashing weapon.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
I've been chopping it off then carving the separated tail.

Guess I just have bad luck is all. Would capping him help?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

nope, you're doing it exactly right... just bad luck

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Lizard Wizard posted:

Some items from the boats are used to craft high rank armor, and some are used just for money (like the crown parts, which you can combine for more money)

Also gently caress do I hate Rathalos. It isn't hard, its just sooo annoying and such a tedious fight. But I need this guy down so I can access Brachydios and make my slime SA and start killing everything :(

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Rathalos is a cool guy to fight because you can use almost every trick in the book. Bombs as he's landing, bounce bombs as he's flying, flash bombs as he's shooting fire balls. The only thing that sucks is his nearly instant claw grapple thing, oh, and his World Tour :argh:

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 22, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Those aren't rustshards, those are a different item used to make a special armor set.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm a total newbie to MH and I can't get past that Bear Trap quest. I smack it around until it limps off until another area, but then when I trap it he doesn't go down to the tranqs at all.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Look at this lovely, unacceptable game that stays consistently above 30fps.

30fps is pretty good but 60 fps is better. I can notice if the action go sub 60 fps, but it's not a big deal as long it doesn't go below 25 fps.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

New localization notes.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm a total newbie to MH and I can't get past that Bear Trap quest. I smack it around until it limps off until another area, but then when I trap it he doesn't go down to the tranqs at all.

You're hitting him with two tranq bombs while he's trapped and limping? Did he have a chance to sleep or hang out near a honey node?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How do you find out what parts of a monster you can break?
Is the information available somewhere in the game?

I know you can look it up online but that's obviously not possible when traveling.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you've hit him with two tranqs and he's trapped that means he's not damaged enough. His limp is actually kinda hard to distinguish from his normal walk, so he might not be there yet. If that happens it's time to do as much damage as possible while he's still trapped since if you can get him past the capture threshold while he's still in it he'll be captured.

Otherwise if he breaks out at least they give you an extra trap for that one. Just head back to base camp and grab it. For the later low rank capture quests they only give you one.

bubblewrapsky
Nov 1, 2010
Looks like all sites for chrcking charm tables are down.

Great.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Argas posted:

Does the game only transmit voice through the gamepad or does it also do it through your normal audio output? I know the gamepad likes to output the menu sound.

darkhand posted:

Does voice only come out of the gamepad? I saw some people chatting through text seemingly to no one, and I had gamepad sound off. Gamepad sound is the dumbest thing

In the third tab of the minus(-) menu, there is an option that's something like "Network Settings". You can set voice to come through your TV there.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Ok so I'm just barely into the game, just finished the first Urgent Quest where you hunt a pack of Ludoths. Using the starter Iron Hammer and Leather Armor set currently.

When do I start upgrading my armor/weapon, and what should I be looking for to upgrade to? I don't have many options available yet for weapons--just a Bone Hammer with lower durability than what I have--but Armorcraft at least has a bunch of options listed even if I don't have materials yet. Should I just use my starter Armor Spheres to upgrade my Leather Armor, or save them for something meatier?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Holy poo poo, you can redo quests! This changes everything! :haw:

Karanas fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 22, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

YorexTheMad posted:

Ok so I'm just barely into the game, just finished the first Urgent Quest where you hunt a pack of Ludoths. Using the starter Iron Hammer and Leather Armor set currently.

When do I start upgrading my armor/weapon, and what should I be looking for to upgrade to? I don't have many options available yet for weapons--just a Bone Hammer with lower durability than what I have--but Armorcraft at least has a bunch of options listed even if I don't have materials yet. Should I just use my starter Armor Spheres to upgrade my Leather Armor, or save them for something meatier?

Save your spheres for later.

Most armor sets will require you to get parts from large monsters. As far as weapons go, make sure you're looking at weapon upgrades, not crafting new ones. I don't know about hammers, but I was able to make a first-tier ludroth lance before fighting my first jaggi.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Make a hunters set, that's a pretty good starter suit due to phychic (shows where the boss is at the start). Upgrading it will take you through the next few ranks easily.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is the transfer tool up? I'm hoping to play my save on the TV tonight.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is the transfer tool up? I'm hoping to play my save on the TV tonight.

Yes.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I think I have just hit the stage where my feelings about MH3U have gone from "I'm having reasonable fun" to "Holy poo poo this rules, I want to make everything." What did it for me was trying out the hunting horn for the first time. I just smashed a bug into atoms with a metal bagpipe, and it was the best feeling ever. While I played a tiny bit of the Wii game, i didn't get far and had no one to play with. I'm now midway through the desert area.

But I'm not sure about the best way to kill the bugs without breaking them. I know I'm meant to use poison, but not how to get poison attacks. Is it a bowgun thing (I'm awful when it comes to shooters in games and haven't touched guns yet)? The armour from the bugs is beautiful, and I absolutely must be a Fabulous Butterfly Combat Musician.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

You want to use poison smoke bombs to kill them if you want to make sure you get a carvable corpse.

Which can be made with a bomb casing and either a toadstool or a poison sac. Bomb casings are made from stones and sap plants.

That mission mentioned below by RuBisCO also seems to have an increased chance to not explode the bugs with normal attacks. That could just be confirmation bias on my part though...

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Six Of Spades posted:

I think I have just hit the stage where my feelings about MH3U have gone from "I'm having reasonable fun" to "Holy poo poo this rules, I want to make everything." What did it for me was trying out the hunting horn for the first time. I just smashed a bug into atoms with a metal bagpipe, and it was the best feeling ever. While I played a tiny bit of the Wii game, i didn't get far and had no one to play with. I'm now midway through the desert area.

But I'm not sure about the best way to kill the bugs without breaking them. I know I'm meant to use poison, but not how to get poison attacks. Is it a bowgun thing (I'm awful when it comes to shooters in games and haven't touched guns yet)? The armour from the bugs is beautiful, and I absolutely must be a Fabulous Butterfly Combat Musician.

There's one early mission that involves killing 12 Bananas in the Flooded Forest. It gives you two smoke bombs that you can use (though in terms of attacks, yes, you'd have to use a bowgun) to kill the bugs.

The mission also gives you some Banana parts at the end quest screen. I ran it 5~6 times to get my pretty bug princess armour.

• Locked thread