Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Level Slide posted:

What do I combine to make Tranq Bombs?

Tranquilizers and Bomb Casings, so in other words, Tranqs + Bombs. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Man, when they add all these extra attacks for the weapons? Lance has a stab, Long sword glows differant colors if you land the full spirit combo, I just figured out how to do the bow special attack! I am having so much fun here.

Does anyone know if Rust Stones drop in the low rank Volcano? I'm doing a bunch of Harvest tours to get fancy Ores and it would be nice to know.

Edit: And my very next run I get a rust stone from there! Go me!

Chairon fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 23, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doesn't some quest or another give a Carpenterbug as a reward? I'm tired of Moga Woods!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Lizard Wizard posted:

Doesn't some quest or another give a Carpenterbug as a reward? I'm tired of Moga Woods!
I don't know about as a reward but I got 3 in one go in the Area 1 insect spot on Sandy Plains 2* Harvest, and the best luck in Moga Woods I had at the insect spot in the Felyne Base inside the cave.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
What's a good armor and hammer to start doing high rank with? I am getting beat down by ludroth's fabulous cousin.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I get more felynes for the farm? Does it have anything to do with the cave full of them with the cat statue?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
You have to fulfill farm requests with Junior as far as I can tell.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, where the hell do I get a Monster Bone+? Apparently I need one more for a Carapace Hammer.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Stream is going up. Planning to play till I pass out.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/new

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Fauxtool posted:

How do I get more felynes for the farm? Does it have anything to do with the cave full of them with the cat statue?

Certain village quests will give you more felynes, but farm upgrades are obtained through requests you get from Junior

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, where the hell do I get a Monster Bone+? Apparently I need one more for a Carapace Hammer.

I need the full 3 and am baffled on where to get it. I need my Carapace Hammer.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I ended up with one in the rewards of the HR1 Rathian quest that I accidentally joined online

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I wanna say Lagiacrus drops them too? I think any 'bigger' monster in low rank drops them, like Rathian, Lagiacrus and Barioth. I could be wrong though, but I'm fairly sure Barioth drops them. Which is a 5* quest unfortunately :(

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Are masks shared across Cha-Cha and Kayamba? I don't have Kayamba yet but my dream is to have both of them with cannon or rathian masks so they can do mad damage while I play hornsongs.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

BlueDestiny posted:

Are masks shared across Cha-Cha and Kayamba? I don't have Kayamba yet but my dream is to have both of them with cannon or rathian masks so they can do mad damage while I play hornsongs.

Yes, all masks are shared except the acorn mask and pincer mask (each one's personal mask). However, you can't have them both wearing the same mask for potentially-obvious reasons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a trick to cutting off parts like tails that I'm missing? I've been repeating the great jaggi hunt for like an hour with dual blades, and if I've done enough damage to his tail to get some tangible benefit out of it I'm sure not aware.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Lizard Wizard posted:

You can get them through Gobul and I think nibblesnarf

And you can't cut ever Jaggi's tail or Querapeco's. You can cut Barrioth's tail but apparently it's nearly impossible to get in enough damage(?)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a trick to cutting off parts like tails that I'm missing? I've been repeating the great jaggi hunt for like an hour with dual blades, and if I've done enough damage to his tail to get some tangible benefit out of it I'm sure not aware.

Can't cut Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi tails. Only bit you can break/sever is their face.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Boco_T posted:

I tried playing some public online to kill a few Qurupecos to get the last Strange Beak I needed to complete the armor set for my Hunting Horn. It was fun, in that they got mad at me because I didn't follow the imaginary rules or something.

I wanted to kill the Qurupeco, you know, because that was the quest. So when it flew away, I chased it. Well the other two guys (one was HR4, with a killer weapon, don't know why he was even slumming) stayed in the room and killed a Rathian by themselves. I'm just off by myself, oblivious, thinking my connection glitched or something. I see on the chat "magpie wtf" then, after we finish the thing off, I get "noob."

So satisfying.

I dunno what those idiots mean by magpie or whatever, but High Ranking people joining low ranking games do it mostly for fun and to help out others. Think of it as them boyscouting, basically.

Welcome to the boy scouts of killing giant monsters. Most dickheads won't make it very far, so don't worry about them. Plus you can block them.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

darkhand posted:

You can get them through Gobul and I think nibblesnarf

And you can't cut ever Jaggi's tail or Querapeco's. You can cut Barrioth's tail but apparently it's nearly impossible to get in enough damage(?)

Spear is your best bet for severing a Barroth tail. I did it twice a couple nights ago and the second time I wasn't even trying to.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Urgh I spent an hour looking around for a decent Wii U and Monster Hunter deal and had zero luck. I gave up and ended up getting the 3DS version for $58 so I've got it, even if I can't play online.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Edoraz posted:

I dunno what those idiots mean by magpie or whatever, but High Ranking people joining low ranking games do it mostly for fun and to help out others. Think of it as them boyscouting, basically.

Welcome to the boy scouts of killing giant monsters. Most dickheads won't make it very far, so don't worry about them. Plus you can block them.
Magpie's my character's name, makes more sense that way.

Yeah as far as I could tell neither person in the party said "stay and kill this" and I'd already hit it with a dung bomb and the room was labelled Qurupeco. But if that makes me some kind of troll I'm more than happy, I still had a lot of fun on that mission.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Republicans posted:

Can't cut Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi tails. Only bit you can break/sever is their face.

Well poo poo, someone early in the thread said if it has a tail it should be cut. I BEEN LIED TO t:mad:

(edit) How long do I want to be doing single player before I should hop in to multiplayer (if ever)?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
For elemental weapons do they always do the raw damage and then have a chance to do the elemental? Or do they always do both types of damage?

Ayss
Jul 11, 2007
I'm loving this game, but I'm a little at a loss for what I should be doing with upgrades. I've been playing almost entirely online, spent all last night killing the Rathian a bunch of times just because he was fun to fight. Killed a few other monsters as well, and building up a sweet pile of monster bits.

I'm using the bow and having a lot of fun with it, but so far I'm just using the starter one, I built myself a Hunter's set and am wearing that. But yeah, I'm enjoying exhausting and power coating lots of monsters, and not feeling too bad about the restocking cost after each mission, but I'm just not sure how I should upgrade. Do I focus on powering up the starter bow? Do I turn those Rathian bits into a bow? I suppose I need to spend more time figuring out how armor skills work so I can assess what armor I should get, but even with this stuff being confusing, this game is awesome and I'm loving it.

Ayss
Jul 11, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Well poo poo, someone early in the thread said if it has a tail it should be cut. I BEEN LIED TO t:mad:

(edit) How long do I want to be doing single player before I should hop in to multiplayer (if ever)?

I'm pretty new myself and learning as I go, but I basically started doing multiplayer as soon as I unlocked quests at all in single player. Most of the people I've played with seem pretty new too, the community so far seems to be mostly friendly, and we've been taking down the early multiplayer bosses relatively cleanly.

So basically, get in there, have fun! There doesn't seem to be a huge barrier to entry to swap over!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Did they change the fixed damage values for explosive shots in games after MHFU? I simply loved to explode huge dinosaurs with a heavy rear end bazooka, with enough materials to make 53 cluster shots lv2 per hunt. Since the damage done by those shots was fixed (the weapon damage values and hit location isnt taken into consideration at all for explosions), this strategy got less and less effective as I progressed. I wish it was viable this time around. Nothing more fun than KOing a monster with crag shots.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Lances can cut tails too right? Got a choice between farming a bit more and getting a pretty decent longsword or I can make a lance with about half as much damage potential right now. Still maining hammer but i'm seeing i'm going to need some tails for upgrade stuff real soon and wanna plan ahead.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
So I'm not all that surprised that when I had the feyline chef make me a dish of Master Cola and Buffalo Butter my character had a seizure on the floor. Even better, even though I got the stamina buff, I started my quest with next to no health because of it. Of course the problem is solved by just sleeping in the camp bed.

I'm also on a good table, because I got me a rust shard and it happened to be a lance, which is the weapon I wanted to main. Upgraded into the Undertaker, it is quite an excellent weapon.

All this fun I'm having offline and online with my friends almost makes me tempted to grab the 3ds version too. That'll happen when it hits twenty bucks or something.

Commissar Ken posted:

Lances can cut tails too right? Got a choice between farming a bit more and getting a pretty decent longsword or I can make a lance with about half as much damage potential right now. Still maining hammer but i'm seeing i'm going to need some tails for upgrade stuff real soon and wanna plan ahead.

Do both! I'm doing dual swords along with lances. I just can't pass up using dual chainsaws.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
God drat I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end quropecco is without a green sharpness weapon.

alr
May 14, 2009
Picked this up today, went straight to the solo port to look around and grabbed a Lagombi quest since I'd played the demo enough to know that fight pretty well. I have since learned that stamina decreases at a very different rate to the demo (I think my character was cold?) and the starting weapons are awful. I'm glad I had the hunting horn, I could at least play the no-bounce tune.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Commissar Ken posted:

I'm also wondering if they cut tails because I have a really nice newbie lance I want to keep using.
What are the best attack for the lance? I have been using the R+A attack for big hits and R+X when they are in my face.

I played around with the bow a bit, is there a trick to aiming with it? Am I supposed to tap L before firing it or just make sure im pointing in the general direction?

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Fauxtool posted:

I'm also wondering if they cut tails because I have a really nice newbie lance I want to keep using.
What are the best attack for the lance? I have been using the R+A attack for big hits and R+X when they are in my face.

I played around with the bow a bit, is there a trick to aiming with it? Am I supposed to tap L before firing it or just make sure im pointing in the general direction?

Lance does cut tails. Lance is basically X for low attack and A for high attack. Can attack 3 times in a row with any combination of those basic attacks. Block + X charges you forward shield first, making it a safe attack since you can still block, can follow this up with a shield bash or basic attacks. Block + A is a counter attack. While charging this, you will block attacks, then auto counter attack. A + X is a sweep attack i use for small monsters.

Lance can be a very offensive weapon. Main thing to watch out for is flank attacks. Right now i have an autoguard talisman i use and i just tank the hell out of anything and use counter attacks a lot.

Joink fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 23, 2013

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ignimbrite posted:

God drat I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end quropecco is without a green sharpness weapon.

Yeah I learned that lesson today. That was fun :v:

At least I got its beak!

Otcho
May 4, 2012

Gonna get this on 3DS later today.

What's the gooncensus? Do you absolutely need a circle pad pro and look like a tool to enjoy the game?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Shlapintogan posted:

Yeah I learned that lesson today. That was fun :v:

At least I got its beak!

I needed a beak to make the Peco trumpet and another beak for a flute gem, I also need 3 more if I want to upgrade this trumpet :negative:.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

alr posted:

Picked this up today, went straight to the solo port to look around and grabbed a Lagombi quest since I'd played the demo enough to know that fight pretty well. I have since learned that stamina decreases at a very different rate to the demo (I think my character was cold?) and the starting weapons are awful. I'm glad I had the hunting horn, I could at least play the no-bounce tune.

You didn't use a Hot Drink I take it? The tundra is cold, and your stamina max will drop like a rock unless you pop a Hot drink.

For future reference, the Volcano is hot, and so are some parts of the desert, heat will melt away your HP unless you use a Cool drink.

I think its pretty funny that you straight up went after La'gumbo with nothing but the starting leather armor & metal bagpipe. Most people work their way up through the monsters, collecting armor sets and upgrading weapons from weaker monsters to take down stronger ones. Congratulations if you managed to kill bunnybear on your first try with the starter gear. I can only imagine how tediously long that fight was.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I previously enjoyed using the switchaxe, longsword, and hammer. Each were fun in their own way. Then I found the gunlance. Everything just clicked and then we just completely steamrolled over the Rathian & Rathalos HR2 urgent, stagger-locking them on their faces while we tore them to shreds.

If only the Wii U had some way of recording demos.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Argas posted:

I previously enjoyed using the switchaxe, longsword, and hammer. Each were fun in their own way. Then I found the gunlance. Everything just clicked and then we just completely steamrolled over the Rathian & Rathalos HR2 urgent, stagger-locking them on their faces while we tore them to shreds.

If only the Wii U had some way of recording demos.

Could always record splitting the HDMI out and then recording with a capture card (you wouldn't want to play on this, you could, but it will likely have a 500ms or more delay if you don't want to spend a ton of money, they are designed to accurately get the image so it can be compressed and streamed on the internet (or saved to disc in this case). You should be able to get a usable one for stuff that doesn't need to be "live" for around $100-150 without too much of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Otcho posted:

Gonna get this on 3DS later today.

What's the gooncensus? Do you absolutely need a circle pad pro and look like a tool to enjoy the game?

CCP makes managing the camera easier, but it's perfectly playable without one.

• Locked thread