Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

Instrumedley posted:

So did you goons emerge triumphant against the Germans?

Total victory tab:
Goons: 2
VIP teamkilled by goon, goon self defeat: 1
Germans: 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
So I'm writing up a design for a mission I'll be working on over the next few months, for playing with those German dudes.

Document Mayhem
SETUP: Two NATO bases exist on Stratis. One is operated by the United States, the other is operated by Germany. Each base has a garrison of guards, and the bases share a pool of civilians, of either American or German nationality. They all have I.D. cards stating their rank, randomly generated name, and nationality. These nationalities will correspond to the nationality of the player, which can be done using the language function, which returns the client’s game version. Values that aren’t English or German will be given a prompt asking which one they are more comfortable with. The main goal of the guards and civilians is to pick up documents and be sure they get to their assigned base, most documents have a copy for each base. A set of spies is randomly selected from the civilians, depending on nationality. German spies will be from German players, US from English players, Iranian from either. The goal of the spies is to secretly intercept the documents and return them to the wrong base. The documents are dealt with by containers: they spawn in type 1, type 2 are either American or German, and type 3 belongs to the Iranian spy. Every 20 minutes a pair of documents spawns in one of the type 1 containers, with a random location. The documents are expected to make it to the American and German type two crates respectively, this is the goal of 70% of players (Team 1.) Team 2 and 3 have to sneak the other nation’s documents into their own’s type 2 crate. After each 20 minute period the documents are archived- they are removed from the game. Until then, they can be recovered or stolen and moved about. Documents not in a crate will be erased with a penalty to all sides. If they are in the right crates, Team 1 is winning, wrong and Team 2, 3 or 4 is winning. Team 4 will have a randomly generated location for an “extraction” crate that archives immediately. The guards and neutral civilians must work together to stop the spies. Only the guards have radios.

TEAMS:
Team 1: Guards at both bases and neutral civilians
Team 2: German spies
Team 3: U.S. Spies
Team 4: Iranian Spies

WIN CONDITIONS:
Team 1: 4 cycles are passed without issue.
Team 2 and 3: 2 cycles are delivered to the wrong crate, respectively.
Team 4: 2 cycles are delivered to the Iranian crate.

SPY TOOLS:
Fake ID cards
Fake uniforms
Inventory concealer for 1 item

Raneman fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 23, 2013

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Did anybody record the convoy fuckup?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Triggs posted:

Did anybody record the convoy fuckup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tNs95Mx1s4

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
It was seriously a lot of fun. We had a good time, especially once we got organized.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Had a blast on a Wasteland server. Everything was going perfect as an independent. After a lot of fighting I decided to take my armored car to a weapon cache location. On my way over there a car came speeding up behind me and slammed into me, we continued to slam into each other like Mad Max until he fell off a cliff and was taking his time getting back up (it was a very short fall but steep).

So I hopped out and shot his front tire as he tried to hit me, he sped around and was going to try to hit me again when his teammate popped out of the armored truck and broke his legs on the fall. I shot him and then kept taking out the wheels as he kept ramming into things. I posted the aftermath of this fight (along with a picture of a guy who drove past me in a pickup and went straight up the mountain, after a few shots I was able to put one in the back of his head at about 700 meters.)

Also, apparently my character was naked except for a helmet and the harness according to the people I killed, I thought I was clothed.

E: Before anyone asks, I was independent, there was no friendly fire taking place.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 24, 2013

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz9WxR7ma2M

Helicopters are dangerous things. I don't actually die until my friend flys into and bounces off the hanger. This game :allears:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz9WxR7ma2M

Helicopters are dangerous things. I don't actually die until my friend flys into and bounces off the hanger. This game :allears:

Hahaha, it's the fact that he stands his ground and actually fires a rocket before being choppered. War is hell.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Who's Tropical Coke because I want to salute him for being amazing and "accidentally" killing the vips with a grenade according to the convoy video.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

"Mother Fucker...."

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Hahaha, it's the fact that he stands his ground and actually fires a rocket before being choppered. War is hell.

There's also a jeep in the background that flips over as soon as it spawns.

ArmA quality.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Raneman posted:

Total victory tab:
Goons: 2
VIP teamkilled by goon, goon self defeat: 1
Germans: 0

I swear Bohemia rebound grenade to G as one of the most elaborate troll bait and switches in history.

Overall, was pretty good. I'm amazed we pulled off that first mission, considering what a clusterfuck it was.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Goons vs. Germans mission 3. I am an AH-9 co-pilot. We take off smoothly, circle around, I joke with the pilot and beg for the controls a whole bunch. As we come near camp maxell, the helicopter is struck by an RPG. The pilot manages to crash land the helicopter on the road below and we land on the road below. We get potshots taken at us as we run to a nearby cabin to hide. Eventually we see that Alpha 1-2 is moving a great distance to our north, and we go to meet up with them, screaming "Friendly, Don't Shoot!" over direct chat. We are then gunned down. :911:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I'm often intimidated when joining multiplayer games, and Arma in particular makes me feel a bit insecure, but after watching your convoy video, I actually feel that maybe I'm not the worst.
Look forward to the next op. I'll practice my wrong turns and general confusion in the meantime.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Gonna start playing multiplayer after witnessing that debacle.

Any word on how good the netcode is? I could play ARMA2 with a ping of around 250.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Conot posted:

I swear Bohemia rebound grenade to G as one of the most elaborate troll bait and switches in history.
Proof here... "G IS THE GRENADE KEY NOW ADAPT YOURSELF NOT YOUR CONTROLS

The funny thing is, I had thought that that was the default keybind because other FPS games use "G" for grenade :haw:

fuckpot, the MP situation varies severely; no idea how much better the netcode is supposed to be compared to OA, but at last check there's still no dedicated server binaries yet.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My god Gamespy is insanely poo poo as a platform for server browsing. I've never come across a slower, shittier system.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I'm often intimidated when joining multiplayer games, and Arma in particular makes me feel a bit insecure, but after watching your convoy video, I actually feel that maybe I'm not the worst.
Look forward to the next op. I'll practice my wrong turns and general confusion in the meantime.

The secret to this is that goons are always the worst, so never feel like you can't be bad with goons.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
The second game was chaos, right before the VIP got nailed with a friendly grenade, one of the trucks back into the truck I was in and the physics went crazy and the trucks started rolling and smashing about. Course the guy who was driving decided the best course of action was to hold down the gas pedal which sent us flipping and smashing into walls and poo poo.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The FPS in this game is awful for a modern game.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Sylink posted:

It's an Alpha, the game is actually really pretty compared to most games that come out cross-platform nowadays (and that while being completely open and not a series of incredibly optimized corridors) and it's a lot more CPU-dependent than people might be expecting, which might account for a good deal of the performance complaints.
But mostly, it's still an Alpha! Give it some time.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sylink posted:

Its performance is already better than Arma 2 and can only get betters.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wargames posted:

The tiny demo islands have always been faster than the final shebang ever since OFP's Desert Island.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sylink posted:

It's actually pretty great for an alpha, and with some messing around of settings I've been able to bump my fps by like 15 so far. Watch this video as well, pretty good at explaining which settings are the best to fiddle with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnmCyP5Ufu4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sylink posted:

Usually, it's the other way around. The more modern the game, the better the graphics, the worse FPS you will have. ;)

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

wargames posted:

Really? Utes to Chernogorsk says hi.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think I figured out what made my game crash, Chrome leaked memory on my system and whenever I opened both Chrome and ARMA I'd have 86% (out of 8GB) physical memory consumed before I even loaded a mission. I'll monitor my task manager a bit and maybe hopefully enjoy a session of ARMA3 that doesn't crash as soon as I start to enjoy myself.

It also seems like ARMA leaks some memory without doing anything, I just started the application and let it hang in the menu a few minutes later It takes almost a hundred mb more than it did earlier.

Does anyone else experience these crashes?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

hopterque posted:

Who's Tropical Coke because I want to salute him for being amazing and "accidentally" killing the vips with a grenade according to the convoy video.

i threw a grenade 3 times because the first two times i wondered why my gear wasn't opening and the third time i wanted to see why an animation kept popping up

oops, still sorry about that guys :doh:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TropicalCoke posted:

i threw a grenade 3 times because the first two times i wondered why my gear wasn't opening and the third time i wanted to see why an animation kept popping up

oops, still sorry about that guys :doh:

The devs must have been trolling with that key change. I always laughed at the "slide down ladder" option in arma 2. When has that ever been useful? I would select it accidentally and kill myself. :)

Profan
Mar 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

The devs must have been trolling with that key change. I always laughed at the "slide down ladder" option in arma 2. When has that ever been useful? I would select it accidentally and kill myself. :)

Doing what they do best, is there a open door key by the way? One of the worst things in all ARMA games so far is trying to get into a house, opening the scroll menu and taking out your weapon instead of opening the door :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Profan posted:

Doing what they do best, is there a open door key by the way? One of the worst things in all ARMA games so far is trying to get into a house, opening the scroll menu and taking out your weapon instead of opening the door :v:

In Arma 3, get close to the door and wiggle around a bit and an open door icon will pop up, hit whatever you have bound as 'do selected action'. Or maybe 'do default action'. It's been awhile.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jippa posted:

The devs must have been trolling with that key change.
See the shirt I linked above.

As for "open door", spacebar is basically the default context-sensitive-action key at this time.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Ham posted:

Really? Utes to Chernogorsk says hi.

Compared to Utes, Chernarus had assloads of trees and clutter. The difference in terrain style from Stratis to Altis is looking to be very slim in comparison.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think I figured out what made my game crash, Chrome leaked memory on my system and whenever I opened both Chrome and ARMA I'd have 86% (out of 8GB) physical memory consumed before I even loaded a mission. I'll monitor my task manager a bit and maybe hopefully enjoy a session of ARMA3 that doesn't crash as soon as I start to enjoy myself.

It also seems like ARMA leaks some memory without doing anything, I just started the application and let it hang in the menu a few minutes later It takes almost a hundred mb more than it did earlier.

Yeah, I've been having similar issues. I hope its just an alpha thing but this is Arma after all.

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
I just watched this video and he uses dwvac to use voice commands for AI control. Pretty cool idea, does anyone else do this and have a recommended config to share?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

emanresu tnuocca posted:

FWIW, I have only 4GB of RAM total, leave firefox running, and client crashes are rare for me. Software shouldn't generally crash just because you're low on physical memory; it'll just start to run a bit slower as less-used stuff gets pushed out to swap.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Hmm do the multiplayer servers just cause a lot of FPS loss? I can make a preview mission with 5 random AI squads running around and get 70FPS but in say, a wasteland server with no AI going on and barely running into anybody I get like 30 FPS.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sylink posted:

Hmm do the multiplayer servers just cause a lot of FPS loss? I can make a preview mission with 5 random AI squads running around and get 70FPS but in say, a wasteland server with no AI going on and barely running into anybody I get like 30 FPS.

Yeah, multiplayer is very dependent on the host.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
I got the lite version and been playing it for a hour or two. This seems so much fun, gonna most definitely gonna buy it when I get some cash together. Seems like a really cool game already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

If anyone wants a lite key, message me. I still have 3. Too bad you guys can't play multiplayer with those keys though, it's a blast.
When is someone going to make an airplane mod? I was able to run all the ArmA II/OA files, add the F117A mod, and fly it around in Chernarus. Pretty cool with all the new effects and such.