Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I love that the Brady games guide watermarks your name in each corner of every page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is there a way to speed up the eShop download? I'm on 100 meg and the thing says its going to take 3.5 hours.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, so you can't cultivate corn/pumpkins on your farm even after you trade for them? It's kind of ridiculous they want you to make 3/4 5 star trades to get some joke equipment. Especially considering it was just a random chance when you planted the right kind of seed in P3rd.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

RuBisCO posted:

I love that the Brady games guide watermarks your name in each corner of every page.

Oh god. Laughed way harder than I should have at this.

Thanks!

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Capcom clearly wanted to give players a taste of grinding early on in the game with these carpenterbugs. I need 10 to upgrade this gunlance. :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speedboat Jones posted:

Capcom clearly wanted to give players a taste of grinding early on in the game with these carpenterbugs. I need 10 to upgrade this gunlance. :negative:

I need them too for... I forget what and I have no idea where to get the loving things.

Also, dear Wii U, I love you and all but your gamepad's batteries are poo poo :mad:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Some things:

Barroth armor is awesome and the fight is very fun (for me).

I don't understand what the longsword charge does (I mean when you hit the thing that puts the aura on the sword; it was like white -> yellow -> red) from the 5 minutes I played it before going back to hammer.

Gigginox can go gently caress itself.

E: The hitboxes feel a lot more fair instead of the plesioth brick wall from MH2 to FU.

Is the village only low rank quests?

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 24, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I need them too for... I forget what and I have no idea where to get the loving things.

Also, dear Wii U, I love you and all but your gamepad's batteries are poo poo :mad:

They appear in every zone I think, but they're excruciatingly rare before the tundra and volcano.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man where the hell is Cha-Cha? I got the second little guy but before I rescued him Cha-cha totally disappeared. I may have taken him online with me but I checked both off and online taverns and he wasn't there. Is this scripted? I never dismissed him.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Man where the hell is Cha-Cha? I got the second little guy but before I rescued him Cha-cha totally disappeared. I may have taken him online with me but I checked both off and online taverns and he wasn't there. Is this scripted? I never dismissed him.

He comes back after NibelSnarf if I recall correctly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus it's begun; I clocked in 21 hours straight yesterday after 3 friends came over. This game is going to ruin me.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's scripted and a part of the main 'quest' offline. There are a few quests available in the highest rank you have open; only one or two have a big monster in it iirc. Go do those quests.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Got this game on friday and i am already at 30 hours, it helps when your girlfriend is a huge MH fan too, it's been great fun. Highlight so far is when we were grinding Lagia so i could make the full set, i was desperate for a plate and had no luck so far. Was in the marina changing my weapon and talked to Cha-Cha to fiddle about with his abilities and guess what he had sitting in his inventory, a plate just sitting there, it instantly sold me on him over the Felynes :v: I'm sure i'll regret turning them into a pair of shoes when i need it for a weapon but oh well, Tenderiser and Fast Charge seem really, really good!

I'm really torn over what set to get for a low rank gunner though. I have my KO gear for Hammers/HH, my guard gear for Gunlance/Lance and now Lagi for GS/LS/SA and i'll probably grind out something with status for SnS/DS soon. What do people reccomend for a decent gunner set in general? I was considering Giggi for quick reload, but if it's anything like the Khezu fight (or pale steak drop rates) i don't think i'll want to grind him out much. I really just want to get something with capacity but i'm going to assume that requires hard mode armor.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Fastest way to get Carpenterbugs is to put on your Leather armor, do the Sandy Plains Harvest quest, gather in Area 1 and use the Paw Pass to escape when it spawns. While you do have to live with the 40% chance of the spot spawning, if it doesn't you can Abandon out and if it does you can gather 4-7 times with a 32% chance of getting the Carpenterbug. According to the guide that is the best odds in the whole game for them.

For Killer Beetles, just since I looked it up yesterday, do a tour of Flooded Forest. Good odds in 1 and 5 (24%), decent in 3 (14/26%), and two spots to gather in area 6, so that's the best single area in the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

About the Tanzia multi vs. network thing on the WiiU, it looks as though multi is for playing on your Wii U with other nearby 3DSes (or other nearby WiiUs????) and network is exclusively for the internet. Does that seem about right?

(edit)

Boco_T posted:

Fastest way to get Carpenterbugs is to put on your Leather armor, do the Sandy Plains Harvest quest, gather in Area 1 and use the Paw Pass to escape when it spawns. While you do have to live with the 40% chance of the spot spawning, if it doesn't you can Abandon out and if it does you can gather 4-7 times with a 32% chance of getting the Carpenterbug. According to the guide that is the best odds in the whole game for them.
Thanks, I'll give this a try.

Reminds me of another question too, how far do I want to go in the single player game to make sure I'm not missing anything like a maxed out farm or whatever? Multiplayer is more fun but my OCD at the level 1 farm is going bleuughhh

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
How do i get fertile mud for my farm? I need that rich poop.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Break some mud off Barroth and look for a shiny drop when you do.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Volvidon hammer's really cool-looking. Same power as my ice mallet, only it does paralysis. I know hammers aren't much good for applying status effects, but even if it only triggers once or twice a fight, that's still enough to get some extra bombs off.

I kinda had an 'oh god this game is gonna end me' moment when I checked the Brady guide. I wanted to see how many High-Rank quests were open in Moga, so I'd have a ballpark for when I'd start on Tanzia.

I've done one page's worth of quests.

Out of seven.

And it isn't including any quests that involve Alatreon or Miralis. It only goes to 8-star quests for Tanzia. Hell, it may be slightly more than that if you fight either of those two from Moga. That's god drat insane. 30 hours has put me one seventh/eighth of the way into the game. :stare:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Played the demo and the little changes they made to the heavy bowgun crouch fire from P3rd is great. I might actually start out with them from the beginning instead of stockpiling ammo and combines until high rank like I always do.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Holy poo poo! The Chainslaughter is a ridiculous looking weapon, but its loving awesome. Time to murder some monsters with it.:black101:

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
After using the hammer for a while I think it might be my favourite weapon, but I'm still not done fully trying them all. I've been wondering something for a little while now though: What's the better combo, X-X-X or A-X-X? When would you use A over X or X over A? A seems to be faster but it probably does less damage? I know in the end what really counts is the golf swing but most of the time I've only done it using X-X-X never using A and maybe that's a mistake.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Uncharged R-X-X-X-X might be the most damaging but I'm not sure. I mean its 5 hits compared to 3 right?!?!?! Your positioning needs to be consistently good to land everything though.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Highblood posted:

After using the hammer for a while I think it might be my favourite weapon, but I'm still not done fully trying them all. I've been wondering something for a little while now though: What's the better combo, X-X-X or A-X-X? When would you use A over X or X over A? A seems to be faster but it probably does less damage? I know in the end what really counts is the golf swing but most of the time I've only done it using X-X-X never using A and maybe that's a mistake.

X-X-X->Hold R to go into charge->Roll after slam to cancel the animation and repeat.

I use 'A' when I want to get a quick hit in but don't have time to get an 'X' swing in. Every little bit of damage helps, and slapping them with the side of your hammer and rolling off before they can attack is better than trying to get a proper swing off and getting hit before you can deliver.

If I'm closing distance, I'll do a level 2 charge and go into mashing X until the monster looks like it's about to do something, at which point I either roll away or hold R to get a charge readied. Whirlwind into golf swing usually happens when a monster's exhausted and just standing there or when it's focused on the Shakalakas and it's safe to get one off.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ZTeamIsDead posted:

Holy poo poo! The Chainslaughter is a ridiculous looking weapon, but its loving awesome. Time to murder some monsters with it.:black101:

I just made myself a Chainslaughter also. I never want to use any other weapon. Hunting dinosaurs with a giant gently caress-off Chainsaw.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
The only time to worry about maximising dps with the hammer is when you have a ko, otherwise get hits in where you can. When a monster is KO'd you can reliably do X-X-X-R-X-X-X-X which is a smooth combo of triplepounds with a level 1 charged strike in the middle you can use to reposition if you need to.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Wozbo posted:

I don't understand what the longsword charge does (I mean when you hit the thing that puts the aura on the sword; it was like white -> yellow -> red) from the 5 minutes I played it before going back to hammer.

You build the meter by using normal attacks. You spend the meter by using your spirit (R button) combo. If you land the last strike of the spirit combo you get the aura you're talking about. This increases your damage. There are multiples level of the damage buff you get so you want to max out your spirit and maintain it with regular attacks as much as possible.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like a badass. I never got to High Rank in MH3 or finished the Moga storyline. But in this I've finally done both. I didn't see how my light bowgun was going to beat Ceadeus, but that and the UW ballista ammo really put a hurt on him.

The ballista seemed to have been key. I ended up putting 19 rounds from it into his face. I even whiffed with the dragonator, too, which shows that I really have never beaten Ceadeus in Tri.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Fighting Lagi with the Chainslaughter was a terrible, terrible idea.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Ugh. I'm almost all the way through the SP stuff and decided to farm up the Diablos set for an armor upgrade...gently caress I hate diablos so much. At least now I don't need his tail anymore, but his bullshit PERFECT HORN poo poo is going to kill me, I swear.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Ugh. I'm almost all the way through the SP stuff and decided to farm up the Diablos set for an armor upgrade...gently caress I hate diablos so much. At least now I don't need his tail anymore, but his bullshit PERFECT HORN poo poo is going to kill me, I swear.

If he is anything like his MHFU encounter which i have had spent a lot of time grinding then my advice is to bring 10 sonic bombs and throw one every time he dives under the sand, he'll have a special stunned/stuck animation and his head will be lower than it is usually, allowing you to get plenty of easy hits in on it. Longsword also helps a lot due to the big vertical range

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

There is definitely a noise Rathian makes that sounds like a deflating balloon and I can't unhear it.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
are there particular weapon trees I should be aiming for?
my biggest fear is investing materials/money into something that ends up being garbage.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So that was a fun thing to find out - you know how if you make Nibelsnarf eat a barrel bomb, once he's been blown outta the sand, you can fish him up? Well, if you paralyze him, he goes into that animation too! And just like with the barrel bombs, you can fish him out of the sand from there. Get a few free hits in, fish him out, get even more! I'd imagine with a paralysis SNS and the right gems, you could keep him locked down for the majority of the fight.

Still didn't get a Scalp. :mad: I only need the one! I found a bitchin' charm and I only need two gems to get over 10 tremor resistance. Comes with +7 and a +3 in... I wanna say cold resist as well? Some element. I had enough for one gem, so I gotta put Snarf on farm until he forks over his head meats. Wantin' to go after Uragaan stuff, so anything that helps with his chin slams is nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does something dictate what can be cultivated at your farm and what can't? Finally got a few carpenter bugs but they're not an option at the farm :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ciaphas posted:

Does something dictate what can be cultivated at your farm and what can't? Finally got a few carpenter bugs but they're not an option at the farm :(

You can't farm anything that is used in weapon and armor crafting/upgrading.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

After a shitload of farming for Rhenoplos Scalps, I am finally able to make my Carapace Hammer. Now just to murder the poo poo out of some Qurupecos to finish my fabulous ensemble and oh god where did all my time go :gonk:.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Typically the things you do on the farm are for consumables and that sort of thing. You plant berries and mushrooms that are used in making bowgun ammo, for example.

Also, gently caress yes. I got a mystery charm that appraised to an attack +4 charm. With some extra gems, my low rank Barroth set now has Attack up M and the hunger penalty has been taken off. :woop:

edit: Anybody figured out yet how many vouchers from the Bullfango event quest will be needed to make and fully upgrade the lance and gunlance?

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 25, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

You can't farm anything that is used in weapon and armor crafting/upgrading.

Hablarghablffff. t:mad:

Killing big monsters is great and good fun. Going in and out of hunt zones to gather poo poo? Not so much!!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Hablarghablffff. t:mad:

Killing big monsters is great and good fun. Going in and out of hunt zones to gather poo poo? Not so much!!

Just...use mining and bug spots while you're on those big monster quests. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Shlapintogan posted:

After a shitload of farming for Rhenoplos Scalps, I am finally able to make my Carapace Hammer. Now just to murder the poo poo out of some Qurupecos to finish my fabulous ensemble and oh god where did all my time go :gonk:.

I'll promise not to shake them out of you if you'll just tell me where I can find some Monster Bone+s so I can make MY Carapace hammer.

• Locked thread