Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sound balance sounds good.

Also, I'd like to request a hat that doesn't cover so much of Wei's face. Sure, the pig mask was terrifying and the hat made the kiss hilarious, but I'd like to see more of the facial expressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

biosterous posted:

Sound balance sounds good.

Also, I'd like to request a hat that doesn't cover so much of Wei's face. Sure, the pig mask was terrifying and the hat made the kiss hilarious, but I'd like to see more of the facial expressions.

I can (and will!) do that, although unfortunately I've already got some footage recorded with a mask in place (but you can see his eyes! It's an improvement!)

Actually, I just got done cruising around farming up some health shrines, lockboxes, a drug bust or two, and importantly all of the fight clubs. This footage is probably gonna be a bonus video, since just beating people up over and over is entertaining in its way but doesn't make for great commentary, but it's notable because (and I will make drat sure that this is the first clip) I picked up a Jade Statue while out in the world, and it would normally be present in this location during a specific mission later. It's not a major loss, but it IS worth pointing out where I got it, since they're THE big collectible of the game and it'd be a drat stupid shame not to actually point it out somewhere. I'll also slot it into the episode where the thing is actually turned in (which is gonna be, lemme do some quick math in my head, episode... nine, I think? I'm not used to having a backlog) just to make sure that the sequence is properly presented.

I did the fight clubs, partially, because as I mentioned they don't make for great commentary. Partially because they give Face XP, which I want to power to Rank 8 as fast as possible for a specific outfit (:ssh:! No spoilers if you know what it is!) And partially because the reward outfits are absolutely goddamned awesome and I wanted to make sure the thread had the chance to see them as soon as possible. :buddy: I'll be getting a couple bonus videos together tonight, one with the Fight Clubs in it, and another with a few random things from running around that also shows off all the new clothing pieces you guys have to mix and match from. Just remember, I've got a bit of a backlog now, so all suggestions are going in on a mild delay. If ya'll are unhappy with that, I can try to be more responsive and less ahead of myself, but the backlog helps me not have to scramble to find Rossi/someone else and potentially wind up with an episode coming in at four AM again, which would be nice for my health I suppose. You guys can decide, you're all big internet people. :shobon:

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm still unsure what I think about cop score as a mechanic. I mean- I appreciate that you're supposed to be a cop and killing innocents should be avoided, but it seems next to impossible to keep your cop score at 3 for most missions, since stealing a car knocks you below the threshold in many missions, as does bumping into, well, just about anything.

Between the ability to replay missions and the helping hands of the drug busts and DLC missions giving you ways to patch up your missing exp, it seems like the cop score system works well for what it is. It could be refined in a sequel (or another game with this engine) and be perhaps less punishing for bumping a fence or car while you're careening after a psychotic gangster at 90 MPH through a crowded city, but as it stands, I feel like it's a nice balance between 'gently caress YOU YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A COP' and 'Nobody cares if you're a total psychopath on missions'.

SUDDEN THOUGHT EDIT: Yo, any of you people who haven't played the game available to do some commentary tonight? There's a specific event coming up that I feel will be more effective if the person co-commentating isn't aware of it, and Rossi agrees. Anyone down for some Napping Canines?

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 23, 2013

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One annoying thing about this game is that it's impossible to max triad exp by just doing all the missions. That's the only bar that that hold's true for as well, the only thing you ever need to grind. If the game gave just that little more triad exp, like maybe if the fight clubs gave it as well as face, that would be nice.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I love this game despite its not recognizing that HK is off a gigantic mainland that could have been modeled as easily as Manhattan in Deus Ex. Or the way that Cantonese is only used for incidental chat and not of the rest of the conversations with people who no way speak English.

Amabree
Mar 23, 2013

Donuts is making me say stuff, but I drew a thing! More of a 'Moments that Entertained Bree in the LP' type of deal, but it's still a thing!

And for those that would like to see where this bit is from, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cp88hzxc0q8#t=1183s

Amabree fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 23, 2013

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:swoon:

You already know how much I love this but I feel it deserves mentioning that holy gently caress I love this.

Edit: Just in case anyone's wondering, yeah, Rossi really did say 'causes', because I went and checked.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 23, 2013

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I am so not that body type. But holy poo poo that's so awesome!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

BioEnchanted posted:

One annoying thing about this game is that it's impossible to max triad exp by just doing all the missions.

Even if you use the Triad +exp clothing?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

Even if you use the Triad +exp clothing?

Even if you always use just that form of clothing. It seems the game was balanced so you needed that DLC for extra EXP to get all the Triad abilities. I don't even know why.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
That episode was great, however you edited that, let it be the model for future eps.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm still unsure what I think about cop score as a mechanic. I mean- I appreciate that you're supposed to be a cop and killing innocents should be avoided, but it seems next to impossible to keep your cop score at 3 for most missions, since stealing a car knocks you below the threshold in many missions, as does bumping into, well, just about anything.

I like it better than just a flat "Mission failed" if you pop the wrong guy, though, I guess, and despite my failings I managed to end up with about one and a half full lines of cop upgrades. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

I also really hate the 'revving' animation when you get on a bike. It does seem to have a gameplay purpose, though. Similar to respawning at full health after dying during a mission, regardless how low you might have been when you got there, after failing one of the "Grab a bike and chase the truck" missions, the checkpoint is seemingly just after revving. It provides a bit of an "OK, you're an idiot, so here's your extra 1.5 seconds of leeway" type of deal.
I REALLY started hating the revving animation, is there an actual way to bypass it, like how in Mario Kart you just accelerate at the right time? But I do like the cop score, it's somewhat fair enough if you pay attention and I do reset checkpoints if I accidentally killed any innocents.

I'm a nice guy :v:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Speedball posted:

Even if you always use just that form of clothing. It seems the game was balanced so you needed that DLC for extra EXP to get all the Triad abilities. I don't even know why.

Pretty sure that replaying mission via the Social Hub will give you EXP so you can just do that if you don't want to buy any DLC.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

JossiRossi posted:

I am so not that body type. But holy poo poo that's so awesome!

Everyone is a hipster on the internet.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Chocolate Donuts posted:

SUDDEN THOUGHT EDIT: Yo, any of you people who haven't played the game available to do some commentary tonight? There's a specific event coming up that I feel will be more effective if the person co-commentating isn't aware of it, and Rossi agrees. Anyone down for some Napping Canines?

I've played, but not to where you guys are.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Emong posted:

Pretty sure that replaying mission via the Social Hub will give you EXP so you can just do that if you don't want to buy any DLC.

I'm pretty sure that replaying a mission from the Social Hub will only give you the XP for any improvement to your score you managed to make - no improvement, no extra XP. That said, I'm pretty sure I maxed out Triad in the end without DLC, though it did take easily the longest of all the types.

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Chocolate Donuts posted:

I've never played the game, if you still need someone.

I also want to say that this game looks realy fun. A more insane version of the crazy Hong Kong cop movies.

Captain Aardvark fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 24, 2013

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Captain Aardvark posted:

I've never played the game, if you still need someone.

I also want to say that this game looks realy fun. A more insane version of the crazy Hong Kong cop movies.

SaberToothedPie posted:

I've played, but not to where you guys are.

At this point I'm going on some 40-odd hours without sleep due to all kinds of crap and I'm having to re-encode the video because something got messed up the first time. I'm gonna let it and the fight club videos encode overnight, and while I'm definitely open to one of you guys helping, it's gonna have to be tomorrow because I'm pretty sure at this point I'd be insane to try to stay up just for these videos. :v:

Another Person posted:

That episode was great, however you edited that, let it be the model for future eps.

I'll definitely try to keep things consistent with that one, then. :unsmith:

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Chocolate Donuts posted:

At this point I'm going on some 40-odd hours without sleep due to all kinds of crap and I'm having to re-encode the video because something got messed up the first time. I'm gonna let it and the fight club videos encode overnight, and while I'm definitely open to one of you guys helping, it's gonna have to be tomorrow because I'm pretty sure at this point I'd be insane to try to stay up just for these videos. :v:

I(Or someone else) will still be around, go to sleep big guy :cheers:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm amazed that the leg break somehow lets them still walk on it. That must be the best fighting school ever. Sure, you still get in horrible pain from breaking a leg, but you learn how to fix it in just a few seconds.

A late, semi contest entry (Already have the game, not played yet, so it doesn't really matter):
As for why Wei is allowed to be an undercover cop. It's clearly because the previous operation guy was too coplike. He refused to compromise his moral standing. So they went with someone who was as close to his opposite as possible, in an attempt to get someone who no one would suspect was a cop. Thus Wei was chosen.

Additionally, you think Wei is a bad cop? The department's 'cop of the month' is much worse. He's not even undercover. The only reason he keeps winning awards/able to keep his job is bribery. When that's your 'best', Wei sure looks appealing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm about halfway through the main plot of my playthrough and I hadn't unlocked leg break, because I was dumb and spent all my Jade Statues on the combo-extending skills. The first thing I did after watching the leg break video was jump in the game and cruise around the city until I found enough Jade Statues to rectify this grave error.

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah sure. Just PM me if you still need someone tomorrow.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

JT Jag posted:

I'm about halfway through the main plot of my playthrough and I hadn't unlocked leg break, because I was dumb and spent all my Jade Statues on the combo-extending skills. The first thing I did after watching the leg break video was jump in the game and cruise around the city until I found enough Jade Statues to rectify this grave error.

Having the leg break was just about the only way I was able to beat the fight clubs, between the stunned opponent the enemies cringing it's unbelievably useful.

Also, holy balls but I've been completely binging on this game, I can't thank you guys enough for bringing it to my attention. Before, I'd written it off as a pretty good GTA clone with an asian flavor, but it's been an absurd amount of fun. Like I said before, the only game that it's really comparable to it is Read Dead Redemption.

I wish there were more genre-specific open world games like these.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
Awww man, shame I got second, I really wanted a copy! Oh well though, it was still super fun to write something about a pig-faced man cop destroying people. Sorry I've been so busy, I'll fire you a friend request ASAP though. :)

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

McKilligan posted:

I wish there were more genre-specific open world games like these.

QFT, I don't really want another generic american city GTA, I want a loving GTA on the moon, a space ship, ancient china, anything.

Fake Edit: Thanks for LP Donuts, it's been entertaining!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This game is good, but now I hate it. They falsely credited The Jam's "In the City" to Tears for Fears. :gonk:

Dead to me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haerc posted:

QFT, I don't really want another generic american city GTA, I want a loving GTA on the moon, a space ship, ancient china, anything.

Then you want either The Saboteur or Red Faction: Guerilla. Coincidentally, they both revolve around blowing stuff the hell up!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Speedball posted:

Red Faction: Guerilla
That's a funny way spelling Space rear end in a top hat, hoss. :colbert:

The best part of Sleeping Dogs for me is that it's GTA with HEAT moves from Yakuza. Hell, a lot of the sidequesting involves ruining dudes in the name of VIOLENT JUSTICE.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Speedball posted:

Then you want either The Saboteur or Red Faction: Guerilla. Coincidentally, they both revolve around blowing stuff the hell up!

RF:G was pretty awesome, but I want another LA Noire, but this time playing as an independent gumshoe, traipsing all over the city at the behest of sultry dames, getting drunk and roughin' up mugs for info whilst searching for clues. A less linear LA Noire, really.

And having dozens of outfit changes is mandatory.

I just really like games where the player has a compelling connection to the protagonist, and the player's actions are more driven by 'What would Wei do' than 'What would I do' (coincidentally, 9 times out of 10 both of those answers are 'gently caress poo poo up') It's to this game's credit that every time I go back to my apartment, I make Wei rest, but before I do, it's very important that I change him into some comfortable pajamas-type outfit. Dude needs his beauty sleep.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 25, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Haerc posted:

The Saboteur. I've spent so many hours scouting Nazi possessions, sneaking up to them, and blowing them straight to hell.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Toussaint Louverture posted:

This game is good, but now I hate it. They falsely credited The Jam's "In the City" to Tears for Fears. :gonk:

Dead to me.

Tears for Fears is still an awesome band, however!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I have actually played (and beaten) both of those games, and enjoyed them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amabree posted:

Donuts is making me say stuff, but I drew a thing! More of a 'Moments that Entertained Bree in the LP' type of deal, but it's still a thing!

And for those that would like to see where this bit is from, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cp88hzxc0q8#t=1183s

So were you uncomfortable drawing the fifth panel?

(B, tap X, Hold X)

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Holy balls I kind of slept through most of yesterday and today I'm working. I'll see about contacting the people I need to contact about commentary later tonight or tomorrow.

In the meantime, since I won't have it up until this evening, have a sample of the audio I've been working with this morning. http://tindeck.com/listen/buyr

Electric Slug posted:

Awww man, shame I got second, I really wanted a copy! Oh well though, it was still super fun to write something about a pig-faced man cop destroying people. Sorry I've been so busy, I'll fire you a friend request ASAP though. :)

I don't see a friend request yet. :ohdear: Are you sure you sent it to the right account name(s)?

McKilligan posted:

Having the leg break was just about the only way I was able to beat the fight clubs, between the stunned opponent the enemies cringing it's unbelievably useful.

Also, holy balls but I've been completely binging on this game, I can't thank you guys enough for bringing it to my attention.

I'm really glad you've been enjoying it! Speaking of the fight clubs, I really ought to get those three videos uploaded just so it doesn't look like I've been more or less nothing all weekend. Whoops.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Space rear end in a top hat is so fun.

Why did Armageddon have to be so lovely.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Space rear end in a top hat is so fun.

Why did Armageddon have to be so lovely.

Well, this is getting off on a tangent, but its basic premise--linear corridor shooter against bugs--was totally at odds with its predecessor so anyone who liked the predecessor was left confused and angered by the sequel. Core gameplay had some good ideas, though, particularly the extra abilities the nano-forge got.

Lord, I'd hate it if Sleeping Dogs got a sequel where it was a corridor shooter...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Haerc posted:

It was briefly mentioned, but the Yakuza series might be a good fit. No vehicles, but it has a fighting system that's probably more robust than Sleeping Dogs' and it's very much in the vein of Yakuza movies.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Dead to me.
That sounds a bit odd. In my game at least, In The City is correctly credited to The Jam by both the Sagittarius FM DJ and the radio station ticker. There is a Tears for Fears song (Pale Shelter) on the same station, but I've never seen another song getting credited to them.

The radio is kind of wonky at times, though. It might be playing one song until you exit the car, and a different song when you get back in.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Gaz-L posted:

It was briefly mentioned, but the Yakuza series might be a good fit. No vehicles, but it has a fighting system that's probably more robust than Sleeping Dogs' and it's very much in the vein of Yakuza movies.
Yakuza is a very awesome series and one of Sega's personal pet projects that they racked up right to a fourth title. The fighting is good, the missions are good, the characters are entertaining and the soundtracks are just loving :krad:.

I wish I got a chance to play them but alas they're only on PS3.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

That sounds a bit odd. In my game at least, In The City is correctly credited to The Jam by both the Sagittarius FM DJ and the radio station ticker. There is a Tears for Fears song (Pale Shelter) on the same station, but I've never seen another song getting credited to them.

The radio is kind of wonky at times, though. It might be playing one song until you exit the car, and a different song when you get back in.

End credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Holy balls, sorry I'm late. Got home last night and did some dinking with the audio and then passed out waiting for it to render.

First off, :siren:Video 7: Karaoke:siren: (with JossiRossi)

Rossi and I do some work for the police, visit a club, and sing karaoke. I talk a lot in hopes that I won't get nailed for copyright.

Second, Fight Club: Kennedy Town, Fight Club: Aberdeen, and Fight Club: Central. All as promised.

Third, I want to apologize for not getting back to the people who offered to help with commentary yet. I'll be at work all night tonight and most of the day tomorrow, so I probably won't have a moment to get back to you and do that until at least tomorrow evening. Sorry! :ohdear:

• Locked thread