Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eirgen posted:

Even though I'm fairly certain it's a terrible idea, I'm going to buy the nx300 this or next weekend at b&h.

Being that I will be new to using anything greater than a point and shoot, I'm going to either need a lot of guidance or just be willing to part with 700 bucks. At least I won't know how bad it is for a while until I learn more about cameras.

Why is it a terrible idea?

The only thing I'd point out is that the 20-50mm lens that the NX300 comes with doesn't have image stabilization, unlike the bulkier 16-55 it replaced and the kit lens on the NEX-6 (which is also at least $200 more brand new). You have the choice of getting the older NX210 with 16-55 for $500, although the NX300's sensor, autofocus and image processor are supposed to be new and improved (in addition to the screen articulation). Try them out at the store and let us know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm one of those guys who has a mirrorless camera and a DSLR for special use.

I also hate myself, it seems.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

ease posted:

Nex 6 has 99 point phase detection. The caveat is it only works with certain lenses, and I'm almost certain they are all Sony.

The newer Sony A-mount -> NEX adapter does phase detect AF as well. Only 15 points, but that may be better than the native AF on most of the cameras.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm one of those guys who has a mirrorless camera and a DSLR for special use.

This is pretty much what I do now too. I hardly touch my DSLR anymore unless I'm shooting for that specialized need.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010

eXXon posted:

Why is it a terrible idea?

Well, mostly assuming it will be terrible idea since it'll be my first camera besides point shoot/camera phones :P Will probably see if one of my friends or goons in NY know more about cameras play around with it and see what their impression of it is.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Based on wasting the entire day looking into these things, it looks like the E-PM1 can be had with the kit lens, authorized refurbished, with a one-year warranty, for $199 shipped. I wish it had more dials, but that price is amazing. By all accounts, it seems to be an E-PL1 with higher image quality, no pop-out flash, and no dials. The E-PL1 can be found for even cheaper, though.

EDIT: Realizing that I could just spend the entire week looking into this stuff, I just decided to pull the trigger on that E-PM1. :)

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 20, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I quite like my E-PM1. It's the only m4/3 camera I've held on to.

40 Years Apart by RW Sinclair, on Flickr

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Goons,

I need some advice. I have a choice between getting the NEX-5R for $600 or the NEX-5N for around $450-$500. Is the 5R worth the extra $100 or so?

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I did get my OMD in the end and it is glorious. So far exceeding my high expectations.

Do those of you who have one use a screen protector for the touch screen?

I've been struggling to find one with consistently good reviews and wasn't sure if i should bother.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rio posted:

Would you mind posting a picture of that?

The black tapes are 2 bux matte black vinyl adhesive from ebay. Also some black nail art tape. The nail art tape is glossier and shinier, but its stronger and you can wrap it around some really narrow tapered edges.

Originally I tried to paint the flash because I couldn't be bother to work on the 10 dollar flash. But the black ink didn't stick at all. I ended up scrapping the ink and apply the matte vinyl. The vinyl is pretty soft and flexible. My experiences is that you want to make some narrow strips to black out the rear edges first. Then you put on bigger stickers on the sides and the lastly the top and bottom. Besides the top stickers, you don't really have to cut the vinyl to the exact shape. Just force it around the edges and use a blow dryer to melt it a little bit and smooth it out.

The black matte vinyl's texture is very close to the texture of the plastic ECU1 hood, once you put it on, its very hard to see the seam. I really like the new look. The body+pancake+ECU1 package feels *alot* smaller after I black them out. Its very low profile. Its alot less noticeable than the black kit lens actually.

All my photos were taken with direct flash so they look shinier than in real life.

==================

BTW I just discovered this leather kit website. http://aki-asahi.com/store/
$20 for a real leather kit shipped is not a bad deal. I may have to find an excuse to get a silver EPM1 now.

Also they have kits for everything except the GF3, even the aftermarketers know the GF3 is crap.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 22, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I got my vinyl/leather for the E-PM1 at http://www.cameraleather.com/
They mainly do replacement leather for old film cameras but I just bought a sheet and cut it myself with a lot left over for future projects.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

glassyalabolas posted:

Goons,

I need some advice. I have a choice between getting the NEX-5R for $600 or the NEX-5N for around $450-$500. Is the 5R worth the extra $100 or so?

Are you buying new, and a whole kit (body/lens)?

I don't own a 5R, but the extra command dial would be handy to have. I'm not going to say it's worth an extra $100 though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 23, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RustedChrome posted:

I got my vinyl/leather for the E-PM1 at http://www.cameraleather.com/
They mainly do replacement leather for old film cameras but I just bought a sheet and cut it myself with a lot left over for future projects.

Which one did you get? Faux leather or the "restoration leather"? Can you cut two camera kit out of that sheet of leather? Too bad the silver color on the NEX bodies doesn't work with the retro scheme.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Martytoof posted:

Are you buying new, and a whole kit (body/lens)?

I down own a 5R, but the extra command dial would be handy to have. I'm not going to say it's worth an extra $100 though.

Whole kit and brand new.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Which one did you get? Faux leather or the "restoration leather"? Can you cut two camera kit out of that sheet of leather? Too bad the silver color on the NEX bodies doesn't work with the retro scheme.

I got the restoration leather. I think you could do 3 or 4 E-PM1's with a single sheet.
The E-PM1 is a bit slippery without the leather, so it's not just for looks.
I don't think the shape of the NEX bodies really lends itself to the "retro" scheme. You might end up with something like the Hasselblad Lunar. :barf:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RustedChrome posted:

I got the restoration leather. I think you could do 3 or 4 E-PM1's with a single sheet.
The E-PM1 is a bit slippery without the leather, so it's not just for looks.
I don't think the shape of the NEX bodies really lends itself to the "retro" scheme. You might end up with something like the Hasselblad Lunar. :barf:

Indeed. I treat it like a truck.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

EvilRic posted:

I did get my OMD in the end and it is glorious. So far exceeding my high expectations.

Do those of you who have one use a screen protector for the touch screen?

I've been struggling to find one with consistently good reviews and wasn't sure if i should bother.

I didn't bother with a screen protector and it's still fine.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

A funny, but good, review of the X100s.
The camera companies as barflies analogy contains some truth, I think. (poor Kodak)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Funny reviewer. love the squirrel.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

A funny, but good, review of the X100s.
The camera companies as barflies analogy contains some truth, I think. (poor Kodak)

That may be the most glowing review of any product I've ever read, and it's making me consider selling my NEX 5n.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Doodarazumas posted:

That may be the most glowing review of any product I've ever read, and it's making me consider selling my NEX 5n.

It's not the only glowing review on the net. As he said himself, he was provided the camera by Fujifilm and paid to shoot with it but was not asked to write about it. Take that as you will. I, personally, think he is sincere about it.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

My X100 is perfectly adequate. My X100 is perfectly adequate. My X100 is perfectly adequate.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Goddamn that makes me want one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He was basically the biggest proponent of the X100. I'm not surprised to see him gush over the S. Not saying he doesn't have a point or anything, of course. The S sounds like a helluva kit.

I'd be lying if I said that blacking out the giant silver lens mount on my 5N doesn't sound appealing. I guess with vynil if I don't like it I can always just remove it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 24, 2013

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I'm going to be going to Hawaii for my cousin's wedding in a few weeks and I was wondering if I should bolster my lens selection for my NEX-5. I'll be primarily shooting at the wedding (for personal use) and sightseeing including a boat ride. I have an adapted Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which will be my primary lens in addition to the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and the Sony 55-210 telephoto zoom.

I was wondering if I should rent a wide zoom like the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 (using the LA-EA2 adapter) in addition to the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for the hell of it to try out. Although I don't have that much money to throw around so I may just limit myself to one of those lenses if any at all.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well I'm glad the OM-D has a nice durable magnesium body. The paint on it, not quite as durable. (Knocked my tripod over while cleaning up, camera landed on a glass desk, paint vaporized).

I should probably get a screen protector at some point too.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Came by the dorkroom for the first time in a few years to ask about upgrading my 20D to a newer DSLR body. Some sort of spell has been put on me and I've spent the last 3 hours sitting in bed reading about cameras, and I'm 95% sure I'm going to be buying an x100 or an x100s ASAP. I'm guessing this happens to a lot of people.

I'm going to rationalize it by telling myself I'll end up bring a camera along far more if it's smaller, I don't have to think about lenses, and it's prettier. Mostly the last thing.

edit: Who am I kidding, it'll be the X100S

Kreez fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 25, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Well I'm glad the OM-D has a nice durable magnesium body. The paint on it, not quite as durable. (Knocked my tripod over while cleaning up, camera landed on a glass desk, paint vaporized).

My guess is that it's powderoated, which is very hard, but also a tad brittle.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

:ssh: ... it's brassing

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Kreez posted:

Came by the dorkroom for the first time in a few years to ask about upgrading my 20D to a newer DSLR body. Some sort of spell has been put on me and I've spent the last 3 hours sitting in bed reading about cameras, and I'm 95% sure I'm going to be buying an x100 or an x100s ASAP. I'm guessing this happens to a lot of people.

I'm going to rationalize it by telling myself I'll end up bring a camera along far more if it's smaller, I don't have to think about lenses, and it's prettier. Mostly the last thing.

edit: Who am I kidding, it'll be the X100S

Definitely get the x100s. From what I understand, they never did sort out the sticky aperture blade issue on the x100. If you get stuck with that you could get hosed.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Definitely get the x100s. From what I understand, they never did sort out the sticky aperture blade issue on the x100. If you get stuck with that you could get hosed.

The internet groupthink on the dpreview and fuji-x series forums seem to suggest that X100 cameras with serial numbers starting with 21 and up, sticky aperture problems are non-existant/extremely rare.

FWIW my 1-year old 21 SN camera has had no problems and it's not been babied at all. V:shobon:V

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

glassyalabolas posted:

Goons,

I'm late to this train, but I'd say get the 5r. You get better AF and wifi (which is kinda gimmicky but things like on camera time lapse is kinda neat), a dial and an FN button.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hate to ask people to do my homework for me, but can someone link to a good plastic or glass clip-on screen protector for my NEX 5N? All I can find right now are the peel and stick kind and I'd rather go clip-on for one reason or another. Also I just hate peel and stick screen protectors.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Martytoof posted:

I hate to ask people to do my homework for me, but can someone link to a good plastic or glass clip-on screen protector for my NEX 5N? All I can find right now are the peel and stick kind and I'd rather go clip-on for one reason or another. Also I just hate peel and stick screen protectors.

I prefer the stick and peels but Giottos make glass screen protectors, start there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actually I ended up just picking up one of these cheap hong kong POS ones:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151002397687?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

At $2 even if it sucks real hard I'll only be out $2. And I can check out the Giottos one in the meantime :)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Serial numbers beginning with 21 or later were supposed to have corrected the problem. Mine is one and I've shot upwards of 4000 pictures without issue.

My photography friends are teasing me about the X100s. And goddamnit they are getting to me. Yet if only one of those very bastards would buy my X100...

Also handing your X100 off to other people to use is like the worst thing ever.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 26, 2013

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Cacator posted:

Serial numbers beginning with 21 or later were supposed to have corrected the problem. Mine is one and I've shot upwards of 4000 pictures without issue.

My photography friends are teasing me about the X100s. And goddamnit they are getting to me. Yet if only one of those very bastards would buy my X100...

Also handing your X100 off to other people to use is like the worst thing ever.

Teasing you how? I've only handed the X100 over once and they didn't "get" why I spent that much on a gimmick camera.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
I went ahead and got an OM-D. I didn't want to try a fixed lens option like the X100s and discover I didn't like the focal length, plus I feel like the OM-D hasn't had any major knocks against it in this entire time since it's release, so I take that as a good sign... though I also feel like they may release a new version soon, but whatever, I can't wait forever to replace my 30D with 17-50 Tamron 2.8.

I also picked up a nikon lens adapter (since I have a 50mm series E manual lens that I really like, and a 12-24 tokina f4 that I can play around with) and a 14mm f2.5 panny lens.

Anyhow, going to be looking through this for basic setup info:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

Anyone have any other practical ownership tips?

Also, now I have to put up some sample pics before Marty. :v:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Teasing you how?
Tempting me to buy one.

quote:

I've only handed the X100 over once and they didn't "get" why I spent that much on a gimmick camera.
Nobody I've met considers it a gimmick camera. But the issue is that people have no idea how to work it unless I give them explicit instructions.

genki posted:

Anyone have any other practical ownership tips?
It's not really a tip, but ever since I got the PL 25mm f1.4 I can't imagine anything else being better with it.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

On a related note, I finally picked up an Oly 75 1.8 and I'm really impressed so far. To be honest I like it a lot more than the Pana 25, and while it's a lot heavier with a much larger filter size (58 vs, I believe, 46) it doesn't seem much bulkier in actual use. The DOF is amazing and I think it would shine as a portrait lens.

Definitely glad I got this instead of pining for an RX1. I think I've now got a versatile lens setup that should see me through anything, though I'm still going to be tempted by the Pana 42 1.2 when it comes out!