Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Been reading the thread and, uhh, do people really sell their old armor sets? You don't keep them so that when you're a master hunter you can look back and see all the armor you made on your journey? That's so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Been reading the thread and, uhh, do people really sell their old armor sets? You don't keep them so that when you're a master hunter you can look back and see all the armor you made on your journey? That's so weird.

That sounds like something I would have done my first time through an MH game (it was, and my first time was Frontier so it was a pretty long list of random things since I had no idea how the game worked and it was in Korean :v: ) but now I know exactly what I'm making before I make it and I know why I made it, and generally there is no use in clogging the equip screen with old LR equipment because unlike Frontier, armors don't upgrade directly, you just make new sets.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

By sell do you mean trade? Because you can't trade anything of actual worth in the game. The most you can do is give someone potions and other consumables.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Emalde posted:

That sounds like something I would have done my first time through an MH game (it was, and my first time was Frontier so it was a pretty long list of random things since I had no idea how the game worked and it was in Korean :v: ) but now I know exactly what I'm making before I make it and I know why I made it, and generally there is no use in clogging the equip screen with old LR equipment because unlike Frontier, armors don't upgrade directly, you just make new sets.

I've done it on every game I've played. If I wanted to, I could load up my PS2 and do a run in my first Kut-Ku set. Rereleases like 3U and MHFU just give me a chance to try out different armor sets than before.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've gotten four Plates from Rathalos. I need one Marrow and I can't get it, but he's just making GBS threads Plates all over the place. Drop rates are stupid. I've done five fights against him today and he simply refuses to give me any Marrow. On the up side, I've got enough other parts to finish out the full set of his drat armor...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bussamove posted:

R+X+Y will send you into the charge without any need for touchscreen shenanigans. I was very relieved when I figured that out after breaking out the lance to cut off some tails.

Actually you can just press the plus button and it will send you into a charge.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 25, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ChibiSoma posted:

I've gotten four Plates from Rathalos. I need one Marrow and I can't get it, but he's just making GBS threads Plates all over the place. Drop rates are stupid. I've done five fights against him today and he simply refuses to give me any Marrow. On the up side, I've got enough other parts to finish out the full set of his drat armor...

Rathian also gives up Rath Marrow, and you have a much better chance of getting it by capturing.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

gobbledygoat posted:

How scrubby am I for using Wroggi gunner armour for normal shot up and the rathian lightbowgun for rapidfire normal 2/ 5 shots of normal 3 then just spamming those? I've never used a bowgun before but I really like the idea and am trying it out. I generally also apply one poison and one para, but unless they're weak to fire it's just all normal all the time.

It's not scrubby at all. There are downsides for rapidfire, the shots do reduced damage each and you are stuck on the animation for a really long time.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Actually you can just press the plus button and it will send you into a charge.

We meant on the 3DS.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

gobbledygoat posted:

How scrubby am I for using Wroggi gunner armour for normal shot up and the rathian lightbowgun for rapidfire normal 2/ 5 shots of normal 3 then just spamming those? I've never used a bowgun before but I really like the idea and am trying it out. I generally also apply one poison and one para, but unless they're weak to fire it's just all normal all the time.

Not scrubby at all! That's actually the way I normally gun. Normal 2 is the shot I use most often so that RF is great, and the Normal Up ability is a really good one to have. Pellet is fairly weak overall, and pierce only really shines with much bigger monsters.
Now, unless you're in a multiplayer game, I wouldn't even bother with paralysis. You'll spend most of the paralysis recovering from recoil and then loading a damaging ammo type, but if you are in multiplayer, sleep, paralyze, and crag can make fights laughably easy as you disable a monster while the group destroys them.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ChibiSoma posted:

I could be wrong on this but my understanding is that rath marrow only comes from capture rewards or tail carves. Also, Rathian has a higher chance to drop it than Rathalos.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I'm really curious what's the socially acceptable rules of mining/gathering during a kill/capture quest? Because there's been a boatload of times that a player joins and instead runs away from the monster each time it enters the zone and just spends the entire time mining or fishing. They don't even fight or anything.

I've gotten kicked a few times because I was charging these players towards the monster with my lance to keep them from escaping. One I successfully pinned between a Brachy tail and my weapon and she got stuck there just rolling for a good 30 seconds.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I'm really curious what's the socially acceptable rules of mining/gathering during a kill/capture quest? Because there's been a boatload of times that a player joins and instead runs away from the monster each time it enters the zone and just spends the entire time mining or fishing. They don't even fight or anything.

I've gotten kicked a few times because I was charging these players towards the monster with my lance to keep them from escaping. One I successfully pinned between a Brachy tail and my weapon and she got stuck there just rolling for a good 30 seconds.

I can't imagine trying to play this game with pubs. I dabbled a bit in MH Tri and had way more negative experiences than I ever did positive. Nothing quite like failing quests because the one pub player dies 3 times then realizing after the quest they had a full set of armor that gave them absolutely no bonuses.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Mining and gathering is acceptable IMO but not to the exclusion of fighting a monster. If you want to run off and mine first and everyone else rushes the monster, that's fine, but get what you need and start fighting. And if the monster enters the area you're mining, you should probably stop and help fight it, at least until it leaves again.

I don't know if this is how everyone else feels, though.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Pubbies are the best to play with; though. Nothing really makes me feel like a true hunter than burning my flutes, health flutes, bombs, traps, and now that I got wide area, potions and the like to keep that pubby afloat and drag him kicking and screaming all the way to the rewards screen.

It also helps I like to slum around (As much slumming can be done at HR3)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh lord, the Magia Charm has the best worst weapon model. I feel like the prettiest princess at the ball swinging it around like a big ol' magic wand made of dragon-y death. I love it.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
So a couple of online questions.

First, with Network Games. I understand that the stats for a monster are buffed when you're playing online with others. Right now, it's just me and a buddy tag teaming mobs with our Shakalakka kids. Will the mob's overall stats be less since we only have two people v.s. a full compliment of four?

Second, my weapon of choice is the Switch Axe. I know I've read about "Hunting Etiquette" with stuff like Long Swords, where you don't burn the Spirit Slash in a group as the wide hit range will trip up other hunters. I assume the same thing is applied to The Switch Axe, where you stick to the vertical attacks versus the horizontal attacks? Also, would I avoid Elemental Discharge due to the blast radius?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Alright, so when I get home from finding a gamepad battery should I try lance or gunlance first?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry to be a bother, but I'm not sure if I'm reading this right.

I'm on Table 10, correct? (ignore the first line, put the fish in wrong)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is there anything bad about the long sword? Nobody seems to talk about it but I'm new to monster Hunter and I seem to do amazingly well with it compared to anything else.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Alright, so when I get home from finding a gamepad battery should I try lance or gunlance first?

The lance is a lot easier to use, IMO, so definitely try that first.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

queeb posted:

Is there anything bad about the long sword? Nobody seems to talk about it but I'm new to monster Hunter and I seem to do amazingly well with it compared to anything else.

New players tend to spam the spirit slash which fucks up your party members because of the stupid large arcs if it. As long as you don't go crazy with it, it's fine to use online. I've played almost exclusively online with it so far.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

queeb posted:

Just watch your sweeps in multi and you'll be fine.

EDIT

:argh:

Alright, for a more substantial post. A warning to anyone going down the War Hammer route: The War Hammer+ loses it's green sharpness really, really fast. I'm considering upgrading to Frozen Core instead of Vortex Hammer just so I can stop using WH+ quicker. I went from 20+ whetstones to 0 in the course of two or three quests. Gonna switch to Gunlance+ for a little...

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 25, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

McDragon posted:

Sorry to be a bother, but I'm not sure if I'm reading this right.

I'm on Table 10, correct? (ignore the first line, put the fish in wrong)

Yep. You have at least one result that's only possible on table 10, and all your other results are possible on multiple tables, including 10. I'd say that's pretty clear.

queeb posted:

The LS is a perfectly fine weapon, but it has a stigma of being the "newbie weapon" because a lot of new players gravitate towards it due to the fact that it looks cool, and those newbies (being newbies) tend to ignore the fact that their attacks are throwing other people around all the time. As long as you don't wander into super spergville servers and learn how to not hit your teammates over and over, nobody's going to fault you for using the LS.

Mechanically, it's a pretty good weapon. You won't be capable of doing some of the really amazing stuff you can do with other weapons, but you wouldn't be able to do those things as a newer player anyway, and it's pretty simple to use and be effective with.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Static Rook posted:

Alright, for a more substantial post. A warning to anyone going down the War Hammer route: The War Hammer+ loses it's green sharpness really, really fast. I'm considering upgrading to Frozen Core instead of Vortex Hammer just so I can stop using WH+ quicker. I went from 20+ whetstones to 0 in the course of two or three quests. Gonna switch to Gunlance+ for a little...

Frozen Core's pretty rad. Wrecks the Rath duo and basically everything in the Volcano. Not quite as good as a water hammer, but it still does respectable damage.

On the subject of longswords, I can't fade slash consistently. It's X+A+a direction, right? I always end up turning in that direction and then doing the attack. I can't get the timing down if it's the buttons then the direction. It's one of the reasons I never really got into LS territory. :(

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Yep. You have at least one result that's only possible on table 10, and all your other results are possible on multiple tables, including 10. I'd say that's pretty clear.

Righto, thanks. Time to get my Monster Hunting on then. :getin:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think it's agreed amongst MH fans that the lance is easy mode. Even if you're not great at it you can block through the whole fight and the attack pattern is so simple it can be compared to the TF2 pyro's w+mouse 1.

The charge is loving metal though. I'll always yell "For glory!" when I do it. I wish the greatsword had something like that.

It's certainly not "agreed" (as if anything ever is on the internet) but lance is definitely one of the safest weapons to start with. Blocking is a much harder mechanic for a new player to mess up than evading. That being said, I feel the lance is one of the higher skill-cap weapons. If you get good with the lance, you will never be hit, rarely have to block, and have a LOT more opportunities to attack than any other weapon. The combination of advancing block, counter block, and sidehops make lance by far the most defensively versatile weapon. It's a mindset change, and it's definitely not easy-mode, but once you get there it's really rewarding. It's certainly a much more complex weapon than something like the longsword, dualsword, or hammer.

Edit: I say all this as someone who is a horrible scrub at lancing (sure I can kill monsters with it, but oh lawd is it messy) and am currently running around in my Brachy armor with Brachy LS like a true publord.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 25, 2013

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Frozen Core's pretty rad. Wrecks the Rath duo and basically everything in the Volcano. Not quite as good as a water hammer, but it still does respectable damage.

On the subject of longswords, I can't fade slash consistently. It's X+A+a direction, right? I always end up turning in that direction and then doing the attack. I can't get the timing down if it's the buttons then the direction. It's one of the reasons I never really got into LS territory. :(

I've been using the fade slash by attacking first, then using the fade slash directly after while holding the direction after the animation of the first attack has started. You have it correct, but I've been having issues with it as well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You can get an autoguard charm for the lance and any weapon that can block. Early on I got one that gave me +10 to autoguard and I don't even need to press a button to guard anymore.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I don't recommend the lance to start with unless you have already familiarized yourself to a degree with the game (at least kill your first Barroth). Instead I recommend any weapon which allows one to move around freely and quickly since most gamers tend to be more comfortable with that style of combat from other games. After that though, most will gain an appreciation for what a weapon like the lance can offer along with many of the other weapons for that matter. I think the lance is an excellent "2nd weapon" to learn if this is your first MH game.

This is all under the assumption that one does not study fighting tactics via youtube or something before playing.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

TalonDemonKing posted:

I've been using the fade slash by attacking first, then using the fade slash directly after while holding the direction after the animation of the first attack has started. You have it correct, but I've been having issues with it as well.

The problem you guys might be having is that you can't actually fade to the left or right unless you are recovering from an attack. It's like the side-hops for gunlance or switchaxe, they can only be done during another attacks' recovery frames. If you are in neutral frames you can only do the backwards slash/back hops.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

You can get an autoguard charm for the lance and any weapon that can block. Early on I got one that gave me +10 to autoguard and I don't even need to press a button to guard anymore.

The blacksmith will always give you a +10 autoguard charm, yeah. A word of caution: don't use this unless you're already well familiar with the weapon(s) and feel comfortable blocking manually, because the worst thing is using this as a crutch until you find another charm you want/need to use and suddenly you're getting knocked all around because you never learned how to properly block.

Also autoguard will not block things like flashes or roars for you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Funkmaster General posted:

The blacksmith will always give you a +10 autoguard charm, yeah. A word of caution: don't use this unless you're already well familiar with the weapon(s) and feel comfortable blocking manually, because the worst thing is using this as a crutch until you find another charm you want/need to use and suddenly you're getting knocked all around because you never learned how to properly block.

Also autoguard will not block things like flashes or roars for you.

I still still hit the block button because I'm so used to doing it in previous Monster Hunters. It really only comes in handy for when you're being attacked by a Durambos who just launched his fat sassy self into the air and a Deviljho shows up. Like you know you're gonna be hit but you don't know where.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So for the 3DS players, which Touch-Screen panels do you use? I love the item-wheel, Its much faster than holding down L. And since it's the 3DS I use the Camera button, obviously, with the Auto-target and Cha-Cha call buttons, since he tells me where they all are.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Autocharm was great for laggy and r.ludroth who'll put their fat rear end models in your line of sight.

Also I'm sitting on a charm that says Slime C+; does that mean I can attach a slime element to whatever I'm using at the time if I stack the skill high enough?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Now I might be missing something with the dual swords but so far all I've been doing is filling up my demon dance bar then going apeshit with the x button. Is there some sort of sweet combo I'm missing out on or am I cool to proceed as is?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Fancy Hat! posted:

So for the 3DS players, which Touch-Screen panels do you use? I love the item-wheel, Its much faster than holding down L. And since it's the 3DS I use the Camera button, obviously, with the Auto-target and Cha-Cha call buttons, since he tells me where they all are.

Signals, map, d-pad, auto-target.

If I end up playing with someone else I'll probably swap signals out for something, I use them to activate shaka abilities a lot though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fancy Hat! posted:

pre:
[  map   ][   d-pad   ]
[group hp][auto-target]

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just captured my first Arzuros and got Cha-Cha. Look who's a real monster hunter now. :smuggo:

Question: is there a trick or something to breaking Great Jaggi's head? I need two frills because I want the full Jaggi biker armor but I don't seem to be able to do enough damage to the head to get the carve. At least, I don't think I am; I did get a head off my first G. Jaggi kill but I can't tell if I'm breaking the head or not.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How is the switch axe? I'm kinda liking it and the hunting horn. Both probably aren't great for a beginner but I can't deny they're fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just captured my first Arzuros and got Cha-Cha. Look who's a real monster hunter now. :smuggo:

Question: is there a trick or something to breaking Great Jaggi's head? I need two frills because I want the full Jaggi biker armor but I don't seem to be able to do enough damage to the head to get the carve. At least, I don't think I am; I did get a head off my first G. Jaggi kill but I can't tell if I'm breaking the head or not.

If you break his head, his frill will get all ragged and full of holes, it's pretty obvious once you know what to look for. If you've been getting a reward in the lower half of the reward list that's colored teal, you've been breaking it. Sometimes bad luck just happens with drops.

I've decided to branch out a bit from tooting my horn all day and decided I want to give bowgunning a chance. Problem is I have no goddamn idea where to even start. What are some good skills for a gunner to keep an eye out for, other than the usuals like attack up and whatnot? Status up seems very useful with bowgun since you have access to so many different status shots, but a bit of a guiding hand would really be appreciated.

• Locked thread