Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s the new recommendation thread.

(here is the old one)

First, give the ADTRWiki a look. That’s what it’s there for. It has helpful things like: quick picks for people new to anime and also our community voted Top Anime of the Year. Plus a bunch of other stuff. Take a peek.

Then:

• Make a somewhat specific request; don't just ask for a 'good show'. Try asking for something actiony, or a tearjerker, or fantasy or something that's good for introducing new people to anime Cowboy Bebop.

• Include a list of titles you've already read/watched and liked and also maybe did not like.

Our helpful, totally cool-dude anime experts will stop what they are doing to recommend Legend of Galactic Heroes and maybe some other shows.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, I've a question.

I really like the three original Slayers series (Slayers Try maybe less so, I have to admit, but I appreciate it for what it is) but I have heard that Revolution and Evolution-R aren't quite up to scratch. Are they worth watching or would I be better not to bother?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Metal Loaf posted:

Okay, I've a question.

I really like the three original Slayers series (Slayers Try maybe less so, I have to admit, but I appreciate it for what it is) but I have heard that Revolution and Evolution-R aren't quite up to scratch. Are they worth watching or would I be better not to bother?

I thought they were ok, and a better substitute for season 1. They do have a pretty annoying "mascot" character, though the hd visuals help. Keep in mind I liked Next and Try much better than the first season, so you know where I'm coming from.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Revolution started out fairly strong, but it really kind of peters out because despite being an anime-original story much of its plot is cribbed directly from the first season. That's not even an exaggeration, it's almost literally the same thing. I don't remember it being offensively bad but besides maybe the OP none of it was that memorable.

I too like NEXT and TRY more than the original, but even I would not say that Revolution is better than it.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
So, I've been sick forever with a cold that's just not letting go and have more or less run out of things to watch. Would love to hear some suggestions on what's new out there as I seem to re-watch older shows instead of looking for new ones. From the info below you'll see I touch many genres so a good plot with interesting characters is more important than specific genres for me.

New Stuff I've recently discovered and enjoyed; Sword Art Online Season 1; I really really liked this one, probably since I loved .Hack//sign back in the day, unfortunately I thought they botched it with season 2. Jormungand; only watched the first 10 or so episodes but so far enjoying it. The new Hunter x Hunter; I liked the first version but the new is even better.

Old stuff I've been watching for the 2nd, 3rd or more time; Hikaru No Go, Hajime No Ippo, .Hack//Sign, Death Note, Baki The Grappler, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fafner, Planetes and Prince of Tennis +++

Stuff I've watched a lot of episodes of but eventually got bored with: Naruto; I liked this up until about 100-120 or so of the initial series but watched it up until about a year ago then haven't bothered. Bleach; This one I enjoyed up until about 70-80 or when the first long filler arc started but watched until a year/year and a half ago.

New and old stuff I tried but just didn't like; One Piece; This is too hyper and I don't like many of the characters. Gundams in various z's, seeds and wings; I thought I'd like this from the mechas and sci-fi but I just seem to watch a few episodes then putting it away. Fate Night or what it's called. Ranma 1/2; I read the manga and enjoyed it but the anime didn't do it at all for me, will pass on Rumiko animes. Jojo's Adventure; It was fun for about 4 episodes then my head just stopped working :)

Hopefully someone has some good suggestions to keep my running nose company this easter, as the tv will be my best friend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you watch the One Piece anime, or read the One Piece manga? It's kind of an important difference. The manga is a more methodical pace while the anime can get super bipolar for long stretches.

Watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and read you some Battle Angel Alita. Maybe BAA: Last Order as well, if you're up for CRAZY AS A SHITHOUSE RAT shenanigans as well as really bananas character designs, also Robo-Lobo with dreads and a lifelong dream to Punch A Planet In Half.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 26, 2013

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

One Piece I tried both. Back in the day I got the US shonen jump and read it for about a year in that. Then a couple of years later I thought I'd give the anime a shot but couldn't get past the first 15 or so episodes. I'll give Legend of Galactic Heroes a go. It's one of those things that's always been at the back of my mind but never got around to actually watch. I'd kinda forgotten about FMA tho I completed the first FMA and was ok with it so Brotherhood is a good suggestion.

Have the battle angel alita mangas and enjoyed the first series but fell off Last order after a couple of tp's (viz manga?). Have just re-read Lone Wolf and Cub and might pick up Samurai Executioner and Path Of the Assassin as well. So yeah, I'm all over the place in genres :)

Thanks for the suggestions, it gave me something to look for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OxeHunden posted:

One Piece I tried both. Back in the day I got the US shonen jump and read it for about a year in that. Then a couple of years later I thought I'd give the anime a shot but couldn't get past the first 15 or so episodes. I'll give Legend of Galactic Heroes a go. It's one of those things that's always been at the back of my mind but never got around to actually watch. I'd kinda forgotten about FMA tho I completed the first FMA and was ok with it so Brotherhood is a good suggestion.

Have the battle angel alita mangas and enjoyed the first series but fell off Last order after a couple of tp's (viz manga?). Have just re-read Lone Wolf and Cub and might pick up Samurai Executioner and Path Of the Assassin as well. So yeah, I'm all over the place in genres :)

Thanks for the suggestions, it gave me something to look for.

Have you given Gundam 00 a try? I know you mentioned a few others, but it seemed absent from the list. The second season's not that great, but the first is really well written and ties up most of its plotlines so it can be enjoyed without absolutely having to watch the second. Mushi-Shi is another show you might enjoy. Each episode is like a little stand-alone Ghibli movie, and they're all wonderful.

As to manga, Blame! and it's spiritual sequel Biomega are both really good cyberpunk series if you want something along the lines of Battle Angel Alita. Volume 1 of Blame! is loving hard to find nowadays, but it doesn't really add anything to the story and can be skipped.

I also note a disturbing lack of Azumanga Daioh in that list of anime. You should fix that promptly. :colbert:.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Hmm I don't think I tried OO, I think a buddy of mine has it so will ask him. Worst that could happen is I don't like it :) Mushi-shi, I think I've seen the manga around but haven't picked it up. Just watched a fan-made trailer on youtube and it looks very well done. Will definitely check this one out.

I did watch the first episodes of Azu-manga but never got around to continue it. It was funny enough so if someone around me has it I'll give it another go.

The list I posted wasn't a complete list of what I've watched, it was more of a guide line to what I liked/didn't like but so far some great suggestions have come from all and I am getting my indoor easter sorted I think :) thank you everyone.

On the mangas, can you go directly to biomega and skip blame?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

OxeHunden posted:

Old stuff I've been watching for the 2nd, 3rd or more time; Hikaru No Go, Hajime No Ippo, .Hack//Sign, Death Note, Baki The Grappler, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fafner, Planetes and Prince of Tennis +++
If you like sports and quality you should watch Chihayafuru.

My brother who doesn't really like anime but loves Red vs Blue linked me this and thinks it's great. This guy doesn't even like the action in The Raid: Redemption so he's really hard to please. Surely there must be an anime studio out there that can beat the animation and choreography made by this one guy?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OxeHunden posted:

Hmm I don't think I tried OO, I think a buddy of mine has it so will ask him. Worst that could happen is I don't like it :) Mushi-shi, I think I've seen the manga around but haven't picked it up. Just watched a fan-made trailer on youtube and it looks very well done. Will definitely check this one out.

I did watch the first episodes of Azu-manga but never got around to continue it. It was funny enough so if someone around me has it I'll give it another go.

The list I posted wasn't a complete list of what I've watched, it was more of a guide line to what I liked/didn't like but so far some great suggestions have come from all and I am getting my indoor easter sorted I think :) thank you everyone.

On the mangas, can you go directly to biomega and skip blame?

Yes you can, it's a sequel in spirit rather than an actual one. Just has a similar main character that's very obvious if you've read Blame!

Oh, and if you want something similar to Azumanga Daioh to check out as well, have a look at Nichijou. It's only subbed, but it's very funny.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I really think its time for some kind of LoGH Simulwatchathon. It's a pretty big series to watch straight through, but at 1 episode a night, which most people could manage, would only take around 6 months. Or, break it up into 4 separate events, based on the endings of the major plots. It would definitely get me into a re-watch and the flood of gifs and amazing images generated would give the thread a lot more potential then most current shows.

It took a friend setting up a LoGH marathon schedule to get me through the first 2/3rds and I followed up to finish the series on my own. Being able to discuss it, share in the jokes (DON'T KILL YOUR DREAAAAAMS! FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!!!) and be amazed at the many scenes of jaw dropping badass moments and incredible characterization with people makes the watching the series go by a lot quicker.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OxeHunden posted:

One Piece I tried both. Back in the day I got the US shonen jump and read it for about a year in that.
How far did you make it? I'm not sure what that entails/what the US Shonen Jump covered, did you make it to the Arlong Park arc? The chapters prior to Arlong Park are not that great, a huge amount of people said that they "make or break" point for them was Arlong Park. If you never got to it, I'd suggest getting there and reading it, it's the first serious One Piece chapter. The stuff before it was largely recruitment stuff and not very good.

Apologies for the pestering, but I do ask if people try One Piece to at least read Arlong Park, and if they still don't like it, it's perfectly reasonable for them to swear off One Piece at that point.

Arlong Park starts around chapter 68, I think.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 26, 2013

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I've never personally understood all the One Piece fans who said the manga/anime was unremarkable before Arlong Park. Like, isn't the whole point of One Piece is that it's a charming goofy magic pirate comic book that never really forgets that it's a children's comic book? I mean, it only gets more ridiculous after Arlong Part anyway, which is what the guy seems not to like about the show.

And Baratie was the best arc in East Blue. :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OxeHunden posted:

So, I've been sick forever with a cold that's just not letting go and have more or less run out of things to watch. Would love to hear some suggestions on what's new out there as I seem to re-watch older shows instead of looking for new ones. From the info below you'll see I touch many genres so a good plot with interesting characters is more important than specific genres for me.

If you are liking Jormungand please watch Black Lagoon. For the most part it is much much better at what Jor does, and it's one of those happy shows that has a great dub if you are into that (it is vastly vastly more graphic also).

(I loved Jor, it's worth noting).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As to manga, Blame! and it's spiritual sequel Biomega are both really good cyberpunk series if you want something along the lines of Battle Angel Alita. Volume 1 of Blame! is loving hard to find nowadays, but it doesn't really add anything to the story and can be skipped.

My personal Blame! / Biomega caviate: Despite somehow having some loving insanely good art, everyone has retard eyes. The artist can't draw anyone without them being walleyed. It was distracting enough to me that I couldn't continue reading.

pentyne posted:

I really think its time for some kind of LoGH Simulwatchathon.

Odds are low. LoGH was one of the first simulwatches here I believe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was a TVIV simulwatch, actually. It went off quite well though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wow and the whole forum didn't start on fire because of ~anime~?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

OxeHunden posted:

Hopefully someone has some good suggestions to keep my running nose company this easter, as the tv will be my best friend.

Since you have a bunch of sports stuff on the list. I'd suggest watching Chihayafuru

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

Wow and the whole forum didn't start on fire because of ~anime~?
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a pretty universally good show it turns out :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Last Celebration posted:

I've never personally understood all the One Piece fans who said the manga/anime was unremarkable before Arlong Park. Like, isn't the whole point of One Piece is that it's a charming goofy magic pirate comic book that never really forgets that it's a children's comic book? I mean, it only gets more ridiculous after Arlong Part anyway, which is what the guy seems not to like about the show.

No, those people are right. It took me four years to give One Piece a second chance -- and I'm glad I did -- but the first 200+ episodes are horribly formulaic and repetetive and it's not until Water 7 that the show does anything to deserve that second chance.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 26, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

OxeHunden posted:

...the tv will be my best friend.
Space Brothers is an ongoing show with lots of episodes and a comforting vibe. I watched a lot of it recently when I was ill.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Further on my earlier question, have the Slayers movies and OVAs ever been compiled into a single DVD collection? Regardless of whether they have or not, are they worth seeking out? I've only ever seen one of them, though I can't remember which it was.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Metal Loaf posted:

Further on my earlier question, have the Slayers movies and OVAs ever been compiled into a single DVD collection?

I believe they have. A friend of mine has the collection of movies and specials that I think ADV put out. It was 5 movies and 6 OVAs, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I think the set is long out-of-print and going for a ridiculous price online now.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

I fell asleep so couldn't check for replies :)

More stuff to check out! I checked out the trailer for Chihayafuru and it looks like fun, I'll see if I can get a hold of a copy. Nichijou looks fun as well so will try to find that. Regarding One Piece, I'm not really sure how far it was covered cause I gave my jumps away a long time ago (space issues) so I don't really know. The anime I watched just past that liar fellow.. usoi? or something and he alone made me stop watching. I think I'll wait till the kid gets old enough to watch it and then give it another go then with someone who'll probably go berserk watching it. Will be a few years, he's just 4. What is the age rating on One Piece?

Black Lagoon is another one of those "always been at the back of the mind - remember to watch at some point" so will look for it.

Space Brothers is also a live action movie? is it "good" ? Seeing I liked Planetes I'm pretty sure I'll like this as well, added to the list :)

Regarding Slayers, I couldn't find any complete set available from any of my us or uk distributors. I work at a place that carries dvds so I had a look, I think you'll have to find it secondhand. ADV stopped publishing manga but I don't know if they stopped with dvd as well. Then it'd probably be an issue of rights to release a complete box or something.

Well, thank you all for a lot of great suggestions, I have a lot to go through and try to find. I think I will be set for a good while.

Edit: yeah you can get most of it in individual boxes. And someone suggested "Lost Universe" as a Slayers in space but I haven't watched it myself so I can't back that up.

OxeHunden fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Redcrimson posted:

I believe they have. A friend of mine has the collection of movies and specials that I think ADV put out. It was 5 movies and 6 OVAs, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I think the set is long out-of-print and going for a ridiculous price online now.

Sure, I think most of them are available individually. I've definitely seen Slayers Gorgeous and Slayers Premium on Amazon, at least.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OxeHunden posted:

Both Chihayafuru and Nichijou are available on Crunchyroll streaming if you have access to that. I know there's no US version of Chihaya on disc, sadly. Not sure about Nichijou.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

OxeHunden posted:

More stuff to check out! I checked out the trailer for Chihayafuru and it looks like fun, I'll see if I can get a hold of a copy. Nichijou looks fun as well so will try to find that. Regarding One Piece, I'm not really sure how far it was covered cause I gave my jumps away a long time ago (space issues) so I don't really know. The anime I watched just past that liar fellow.. usoi? or something and he alone made me stop watching. I think I'll wait till the kid gets old enough to watch it and then give it another go then with someone who'll probably go berserk watching it. Will be a few years, he's just 4. What is the age rating on One Piece?

Well, thank you all for a lot of great suggestions, I have a lot to go through and try to find. I think I will be set for a good while.

If you're only looking for stuff currently out on DVD/Blu-ray you're going to be missing out on a lot of these recommendations. Chihayafuru isn't available in English outside of (legal) streaming services. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, of course, is not available through any service, streaming or otherwise. Take a look at what Crunchyroll has to offer. If you have a way to watch stuff from your computer on a TV (through HDMI, DVI, VGA etc) the quality is typically better than DVD. And of course, many DVD sets are long out of print and hilariously expensive used.

Also I'm guessing 'usoi' is Usui from Kaichou wa Maid Sama, which is a pretty alright show and probably worth sticking around for a few more episodes to give it a chance.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

I'm outside the US but seem able to watch some series on crunchyroll and prefer streaming but yeah, what's impossible to get on dvd etc I will look for elsewhere.

Sorry, I googled One Piece names and the character is Usopp who starts out as a "kid who cried wolf (pirate)". I think the kid will love One Piece tho so I will wait until he's old enough and then watch it with him. He gets so into things it even makes Dora the Explorer watchable. "SWIPER NO SWIPING!!!"

Been finishing up Sword Art Online today and will go at Space Brothers tomorrow on crunchy :) Thanks again for all the help.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Are there any great celebrations of capitalism out there? Like something where the main characters get stuff, and then use that stuff unapologetically to get more and bigger stuff?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

atrus50 posted:

Are there any great celebrations of capitalism out there? Like something where the main characters get stuff, and then use that stuff unapologetically to get more and bigger stuff?

Spice and Wolf is all about a traveling merchant's pursuit of the almighty dollar (though it also deals heavily with his relationship with a pagan wolf deity).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I watched Kaiji lately and as far as I could tell the moral of the show is basically "You might be literally Hitler but who cares if you're ultra-rich and really unrepentant about it" so maybe that counts?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

atrus50 posted:

[C] is about a supernatural bank that forces people into monster battles with their money as HP. It's also a giant clusterfuck.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Redcrimson posted:

[C] is about a supernatural bank that forces people into monster battles with their money as HP. It's also a giant clusterfuck.

Clusterfuck like the second half of Kemonozume clusterfuck? or is it just bad

Spice and Wolf isn't really what I'm looking for... I think what I'm looking for is def. more a shonen thing than anything romantic. Not enough of a focus on brick flipping. Capitalism is about war, not Love! I will look into Kaiji

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 27, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread to request a manga recommendation, but I didn't see a manga-specific thread.

I've been watching Legend of Galactic Heroes and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sci-fi manga. Everything I've come across seems either for young audiences, or involves giant robots, but I'm looking for something space opera-ish or otherwise more Western sci-fi.

e. Also, if anyone could recommend a line on Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad volumes, that'd be great. I think it's out of print now and I'm not a fan of buying off Amazon merchants, but I only have up to Volume 5.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 27, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SpaceMost posted:

e. Also, if anyone could recommend a line on Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad volumes, that'd be great. I think it's out of print now and I'm not a fan of buying off Amazon merchants, but I only have up to Volume 5.

It's out of print and was never finished, Tokyopop going out of the game and all that. Don't bother.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

atrus50 posted:

Spice and Wolf isn't really what I'm looking for... I think what I'm looking for is def. more a shonen thing than anything romantic. Not enough of a focus on brick flipping. Capitalism is about war, not Love! I will look into Kaiji

[C] is just bad. The concept was interesting enough, and it's short so it's not a huge waste of time if it sounds possibly interesting to you.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

atrus50 posted:

Just bad. Terrible show with an abysmal ending and easily the worst thing to ever touch Noitamina.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Keyboard Kid posted:

Just bad. Terrible show with an abysmal ending and easily the worst thing to ever touch Noitamina.

WHOAH THERE. Guilty Crown aired on NoitaminA, let's not say anything we can't take back now.

(Also, Fractale)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Guilty Crown and Fractale were both pretty entertaining. I can understand not liking GC for being a pretty blatant Code Geass clone, but what was wrong with Fractale?

[I mean, aside for not being remotely what the creator hyped it up to be]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Regarding Beck: mongolian chop squad, there is a small chance that it might gets translated again. Tokyopop no longer releases much (it seems they're still doing ebooks and print-on-demand?). However, in Japan it seems beck was published by Kodansha, who is now a major US manga distributor and they have been reprinting series that was under the Tokyopop banner earlier. But, and it's a big one, I don't remember Beck selling that well under Tokyopop, at least here in Norway, so I wouldn't set my hopes that Kodansha will reprint a 34 vol. manga series. It also looks like it ran 12 volumes under tokyopop, if you want the first 1/3 of the series.

• Locked thread