Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I don't think I even remember someone referring to Uragaan by its actual name while playing online. We all just called it "Leno."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Are Powercharm and Armorcharm exactly what they sound like? Can I just buy one and stick it in my bank like the crafting books, or do I have to carry it for the presumed attack/defense buffs?

If you are combining things out in the field, you will need to have the combo books with you to get their bonuses. Same goes with armor/powercharms. There are armor sets and felyne buffs that will up your combo rate for all or some items.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moldy Taxes posted:

Gosh, these Felynes are really cool with being renamed. "I guess that's who I am meow!"

Uber, Uber, and Celery are very happy with their new identities, thank you very much.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I always thought that Urugaan looks like that "Forever Alone" face from those dumb reddit comics.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Personally I've always called him the Gumbysaur.

I mean seriously, tell me you don't see the likeness there.

Countblanc posted:

Uber, Uber, and Celery are very happy with their new identities, thank you very much.

I consider it criminal that there are three Felyne with options for Luke and Chewie, but no Han.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

You just get supplied at a random time after the quest starts in HR. Also yes, stuff has way more hp, but HR weapons do way more damage so it evens out.

Too bad you have to kill late HR enemies several times before you get access to those HR weapons.

Guess I'll do HR online until I have decent equipment, doing it on my own I'm just getting my rear end handed to me. Yes I do suck at this game.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Is that what they're called? I just call all of them Pepe. Never can tell the difference.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Celery Face posted:

I don't think I even remember someone referring to Uragaan by its actual name while playing online. We all just called it "Leno."

Wow, my group calls him that too (P3rd). We have a bunch of stupid names for the monsters but I am glad that Leno is almost universal for English-speaking hunters.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I got Mumbles, Rhubarb, and Sparagus.

And Pinkbuns.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
I've noticed that when lancing and dodging to the right or left the controls are reversed. B + left and you dodge to the right.... Is there a way to change it so B+ left and you dodge to the left? Why is it reversed anyways?

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I just ran out and bought a Wii U for this game. I loved playing 2 on the PS2 and I have played Freedom and Unite on the PSP but I had an itch for online play. Any tips or major changed for someone who's been out of the series for a while? Currently my Wii U is installing the massive amount of data it just downloaded for updates.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

CountingCrows posted:

I've noticed that when lancing and dodging to the right or left the controls are reversed. B + left and you dodge to the right.... Is there a way to change it so B+ left and you dodge to the left? Why is it reversed anyways?
When you hit Select on the second page there's an Options menu and I think one has to do with Dodge Type where Type 1 is based on camera and Type 2 is based on character orientation. I need to go mess with that because I keep having trouble with it doing the crappiest/longest way of playing the secondary recitation with the Hunting Horn.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm getting frustrated as hell with Qurupeco.
I've killed him twice, but he generally kicks my butt still and it's not uncommon for me to use a retry.
I'm a lancer, and I'll sometimes run out of stamina while blocking and he will set me on fire with his click click attack. That one burns me like crazy and I end up consuming way too many potions.
I'm using all Quru armor right now and I'm just trying to get a couple of his beaks to make the helm.

Guess I just need more practice. Got really frustrated with the game tonight though.

Also, I'm having some general trouble with side dodging and the A+X attacks. I find them just hard to pull off. I'll know I hit those buttons at the same time but it only seems to register like 50% of the time.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pegnose Pete posted:

I've killed him twice, but he generally kicks my butt still and it's not uncommon for me to use a retry.
I'm a lancer, and I'll sometimes run out of stamina while blocking and he will set me on fire with his click click attack. That one burns me like crazy and I end up consuming way too many potions.
I'm using all Quru armor right now and I'm just trying to get a couple of his beaks to make the helm.

Guess I just need more practice. Got really frustrated with the game tonight though.

Also, I'm having some general trouble with side dodging and the A+X attacks. I find them just hard to pull off. I'll know I hit those buttons at the same time but it only seems to register like 50% of the time.

A big thing to learn about blocking is that it's not the solution to all your problems. Qurupeco's flintstone attack is easy enough to walk away from. Obviously, dodging is much safer but it's possible to just walk away even with a lance out. He's far too precise that it's easy to just walk a half meter to the side to dodge it, and you can keep doing it.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

CountingCrows posted:

You're not dodging. You're doing a back step. When you press B + left you're actually facing left and then back stepping (to the right).

If you press B + left directly after doing an attack, you'll side step instead of back stepping. The side step should go the way you expect.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Pegnose Pete posted:

You should be able to either hop back or hop to the side to avoid that attack. Also if you get on fire you can put it out by jumping in the water in D. Forest in area 5 and 9 by diving into the small pools. In area 8 you can jump down into the water in area 11 and climb back up.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

mcpringles posted:

You should be able to either hop back or hop to the side to avoid that attack. Also if you get on fire you can put it out by jumping in the water in D. Forest in area 5 and 9 by diving into the small pools. In area 8 you can jump down into the water in area 11 and climb back up.

If there is no water, 3-4 dodge rolls will put the fire out.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Can I re-emphasize how much I love the hunting horn? Because I'm a face smashing MACHINE with this thing. Even Qurupeco and his typically out-of-reach noggin' is getting busted up all over the place. I whipped up a handful of the Maestro decorations so I have the song bonus on my Wroggi set at the moment. Anybody else know a good set or skills I should pick up that go well with the horn?

EDIT: Also, I just beat the snot out of the Gobul, which was pretty fun because his head is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge! Lots of knock outs on that fight, love the Felyne Slugger food buff. Anywho, how much longer until I can start hunting Rathians? I wanna try making the horn from them!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 27, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like the idea of the hunting horn and it feels good to control but oh lord remembering all the important songs is going to give me goddamned fits. I should stick to long sword and dual blade, nice and simple for mongoloids like me :(

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Holy poo poo the Nibelsnarf. With such a goofy name I wasn't expecting something quite so... terrifying. It is made of 80% nightmares and 20% teeth. :stare:

Speaking of, does anyone have any tips for using Sonic Bombs against it? I just can't seem to get the timing right. Do I have to like, throw one while it's burrowing? Right above the puff of sand while it's underground?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I like the idea of the hunting horn and it feels good to control but oh lord remembering all the important songs is going to give me goddamned fits. I should stick to long sword and dual blade, nice and simple for mongoloids like me :(

Get a hammer, they're way more mobile than you might think. You can roll-cancel out of everything.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Wow, the framerate on the 3DS version is like night and day compared to the Wii U version. I think the 3DS one might actually run at 60 fps consistently. It's smooth like butter. No Circle Pad Pro, so I have to make do with the on-screen D-Pad and Target Lock, but I might just do all my hunting on this thing.

It also helps that I can lay in bed and play there. Saving to the SD card is kind of slow, unfortunately.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Holy poo poo the Nibelsnarf. With such a goofy name I wasn't expecting something quite so... terrifying. It is made of 80% nightmares and 20% teeth. :stare:

Speaking of, does anyone have any tips for using Sonic Bombs against it? I just can't seem to get the timing right. Do I have to like, throw one while it's burrowing? Right above the puff of sand while it's underground?

When it's underground puffing, it'll do a gigantic upward jump if you sonic bomb somewhere nearby wherever the bomb went off. Think ala tremors.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Dreamy Souffle posted:

You can throw it at any time while it's underground. My way of making him trivial is to place a bomb anywhere and throw a sonic at it which makes him rush to it and eat it. This works all the time so it's really easy to abuse unless they changed it on this game.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Man, how can you think anything that looks like this is terrifying? Nibelsnarf's awesome!

So... I finally paused long enough to make some Wroggi+ armor, and I upgraded my bullfango hammer to the end of its line. Figured a little more raw power would do me better right now than a tiny paralysis chance or a tiny bit of elemental damage. Managed to get Crimson Qurupeco down with... uh... as minimal problems as one can have, given who he summons in.

Speaking of that - So I just beat Plesioth and unlocked 7* quests - when the heck do I fight Deviljho? That rear end in a top hat was in like four or five 6* quests. He's gotta be coming up, surely. You don't dangle that kind of carrot in front of a player then not deliver. The 7 star stuff seems much easier than the 6 star stuff did, oddly. SocialDissonance, think you could do a video sometime in the future where you fight that guy with a hammer? Because I have no clue what I'd do against something that moves like that when using a weapon that can't block. :ohdear:

Speaking of Plesioth, that was my proper test of if the CPP was worth it. I gave up that fight in the demo because I couldn't get the underwater controls down. So much better with the Circle Pad. Like night and day, that was. Still got caught by the hip check and insulting amount of times, but it's Plesioth. It's kind of expected, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Get a hammer, they're way more mobile than you might think. You can roll-cancel out of everything.

Might try that tomorrow, thanks. Is there anywhere on that wiki that lists combos with each weapon class? I'm having a rough time finding anything I want on that thing, or finding stuff relevant to MH3U, at any rate. :(

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How feasible is doing guild quests solo? Are the monsters you fight buffed to have higher stats to deal with multiple players at once, or is everything (to a certain point) doable?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

BabyRyoga posted:

Are the monsters you fight buffed to have higher stats to deal with multiple players at once, or is everything (to a certain point) doable?

Both.

Port quests are all balanced for four players, which means the monsters will have significantly more health than their village equivalents. Still, everything is possible to solo, although things like the giant monsters and most G-Rank quests are going to be extremely difficult and require the very best skills, armor, and equipment. Low-rank quests and many or most of the high-rank quests are not really any problem solo if you know what you're doing, though.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

How feasible is doing guild quests solo? Are the monsters you fight buffed to have higher stats to deal with multiple players at once, or is everything (to a certain point) doable?

Once you've mastered the ins and outs of your weapon, built up a nice cache of items and a decent armor set with good skills and can recognize monster tells, you're good to go for soloing.

It's difficult to do it alone, but it's definitely possible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The only fight I've ever lost (in Single player) and it's loving Ceadeus; I just can't seem to do enough damage to it before it escapes or whatever. I don't remember it being such a pain in the rear end in Tri, but then again I was torpedoing the poo poo out of it with a Lance and not using a Hunting Horn that sucks underwater.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

There is a multi and a solo mode, and I'm not talking about guild vs village. They're the same quests, just balanced for group or single play. You'll be fine, as long as you don't accept guild quests from the multi guild counter.

EDIT: this post is wrong. disregard.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 27, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kiggles posted:

There is a multi and a solo mode, and I'm not talking about guild vs village. They're the same quests, just balanced for group or single play. You'll be fine, as long as you don't accept guild quests from the multi guild counter.

Mutli is the same as solo, it just wont let other people join your game if a 3DS happens to be in the area (or in the same room if you are on a wiiU).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Kiggles posted:

The solo port is the same as the multi port except it isn't searching for other players. The quests are identical and no easier (or harder, other than not having help) than in the multi port.

edit: beaten

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
For people having trouble telling when a monster is ready to be captured, isn't there an armor skill in 3rd gen like in 2nd that gives you color tells on your painted monster? If I remember well, tranq guru gives this and it shows a painted monster yellow on your map.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Psychic gives you permament vision of the monster
Capture Guru allows you to see when they're weak -- I think that the painted target begins to flash on the mini-map.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Grabbed a horn and a hide off of that first Lagiacrus encounter in the Guts mission. Too bad he's unkillable otherwise I could've killed or capped him at that point, just using the hunting gear I started with and the hunting horn.

I used the hammer and lance religiously in Tri but the Hunting Horn is really growing on me, and I hear great things about the gunlance. The starter Horns seem a bit overpowered though.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I swapped from long sword to my brand new Wild Switchaxe to hunt my first Quropeco! I couldn't work out how to land the swords X+A charge attack, always seemed to miss and do no damage. Still I managed to break his beak (thanks hammer X+A) and kill him, which surprised me as I didn't know he was near death.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Guide says unlocking big wyverns in Moga Woods requires a certain"village level" in addition to beating whatever quest. So Royal Ludroth you have to beat "Save Our Boat" but it also says "Village Level 13." Is this a real thing? How do you check it?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Does capturing in Free-Hunt affect what commodities you get at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well this is pretty dumb. I've had like 10 in-game days in a row where I've stopped seeing Lagi, Rathian, or Rathalos in moga woods. I want my 3 and 4 star rare commodities, man!

Also, anybody having trouble Ceadeus, trade with the argosy captain for UW Ballista ammo. Start the quest with 10 shots. Then, there are 2 ballistas in that arena where you fight him and a gathering point next to each one that gives more ammo (About 15-20 shots). Those things pack a ton of damage into him. Between those 2 ballistas and the dragonator, you should be able to break something on him before the time runs out. When the Dragonator is ready and Ceadeus goes into rage mode, he'll swim to the other side of the map and take a slow-moving stroll up to where the Dragonator can hit him, and he just sits on it, so he makes it really easy for you, and the damage is really high.

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 27, 2013

• Locked thread