Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

FLX posted:

In MH3U on the 3DS, how do I know when a day passed and is there a way to go free hunting at night?

Every time you go on a quest, a day advances if you pass or fail (a day will not advance if you abandon). Every time you visit Moga Woods, a day will advance as long as you spend 2 minutes or more there.

You can hunt at night when you unlock High-Rank quests in the village, which happens after you finish the urgent to repel a Ceadeus. The night-time woods have high-rank materials and monsters, but large monsters need to be "unlocked" there separately by hunting their high-rank versions in quests.

This is all very different from Tri, where night and day cycled and each trip took half a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I know Longsword is supposed to be the "scrub" weapon, but it has by far the best feel to any of the weapons I've tried. You're mobile enough to play defensively, your attacks aren't too slow but still feel meaty enough to feel like you're contributing, and you've got combos and ways to string attacks together when a monster gives you an opening.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The hammer does all of that stuff though, and the charged attacks give you way more mobility than the spirit combo that locks you in place.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

FedoraDefender420 posted:

The hammer does all of that stuff though, and the charged attacks give you way more mobility than the spirit combo that locks you in place.

Counterpoint: shorter range, stamina drain for charged attacks, can't cut tails. Plus, the spirit combo buffs your attack when you get it to connect. Every weapon is awesome!

J
Jun 10, 2001

YorexTheMad posted:

I know Longsword is supposed to be the "scrub" weapon, but it has by far the best feel to any of the weapons I've tried. You're mobile enough to play defensively, your attacks aren't too slow but still feel meaty enough to feel like you're contributing, and you've got combos and ways to string attacks together when a monster gives you an opening.

There's nothing wrong with longswords, it's just they have a negative reputation because idiots will just let the spirit combo rip without giving any thought to it and end up tripping the other people in their group constantly. As long as you're careful about when you start going hog wild with any of the wide horizontal slashes you're fine.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Majuju posted:

Counterpoint: shorter range, stamina drain for charged attacks, can't cut tails. Plus, the spirit combo buffs your attack when you get it to connect. Every weapon is awesome!

Counterpoint: loving HAMMER :black101:

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Anyone know where to get Monster broth? Am I right in thinking it's just High rank monster fluid? I just got the rustshard light bowgun and that thing is so cool I need to upgrade it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I also don't completely understand how phials work. Like, say I have a weapon that does 100 paralysis damage; which would be better, a paralysis phial or an element phial?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

Best results screen ever?

Heh, Nintendo system on a Sony TV...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lork posted:

I also don't completely understand how phials work. Like, say I have a weapon that does 100 paralysis damage; which would be better, a paralysis phial or an element phial?

I believe phials are built in to the Switch Axe itself.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Lizard Wizard posted:

I believe phials are built in to the Switch Axe itself.
They are. My 100 damage weapon is just a hypothetical example.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chairon posted:

Anyone know where to get Monster broth? Am I right in thinking it's just High rank monster fluid? I just got the rustshard light bowgun and that thing is so cool I need to upgrade it.

Yup. If I remember right, high rank Giggis (Not Gigginox) drop the stuff. Probably get it outta the bugs, too, if you've got poison bombs/ranged weapons suitable for it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lork posted:

All phials activate in sword mode.

Status Phials (Para/Sleep etc) add that status to the weapon
Power Phials increase raw by 25%
Elemental Phials increase elemental(fire/water etc) and status (para/sleep etc) by 25% of weapon's raw damage
Dragon phials add dragon damage (25% of raw iirc)
Exhaust adds stamina damage (depletes monster's stam on hit), probably 25% of raw (this seems to be the pattern)

%s may have changed since Tri, but generally it is 25% and based on the raw damage iirc.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Machai posted:

All phials activate in sword mode.

Status Phials (Para/Sleep etc) add that status to the weapon
Power Phials increase raw by 25%
Elemental Phials increase elemental(fire/water etc) and status (para/sleep etc) by 25% of weapon's raw damage
Dragon phials add dragon damage (25% of raw iirc)
Exhaust adds stamina damage (depletes monster's stam on hit), probably 25% of raw (this seems to be the pattern)

%s may have changed since Tri, but generally it is 25% and based on the raw damage iirc.
So assuming that status phials add 25% of raw, the two phials in my example would be essentially identical, correct?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lork posted:

So assuming that status phials add 25% of raw, the two phials in my example would be essentially identical, correct?

Yes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, some questions:

What is a wyvern gem? I need it and some blue thing (I dont know what it is either) to upgrade the water sword I got for defeating Ceadeus.

How do I reliably get monster fluid? I just need one loving more to upgrade a dragon weapon and all the d. island cave/tundra giggis drop are velvety hides and giggi extract.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
OK, thanks. Of course, that's assuming that the damage from the status phials is in addition to rather than instead of the status damage already on the weapon, which, Monster Hunter being Monster Hunter, is not a given.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
For me, using axe-mode is something I'm a little more comfortable with than sword-mode. It doesn't seem like you can dodge as fast after the sword-mode attacks as you can in axe-mode. So usually when I'm fighting a monster I'm less confident about I'll stay in axe-mode, and occasionally go to sword when I see a big opening. Plus I really hate having to reload, so I just fight in axe-mode for a while instead of reloading. Maybe I'm a dummy missing out on a lot of potential damage, but it works for me.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

How do I reliably get monster fluid? I just need one loving more to upgrade a dragon weapon and all the d. island cave/tundra giggis drop are velvety hides and giggi extract.

Do the 2 star village quest bug hunt. Take the 2 poison bombs from the supply box and poison the bugs with them, leave your shakalaka buddies at home so they don't kill the bugs. You can carve monster fluid rarely and also get it in the quest rewards screen. Also keep checking your boats for when they can go on a monster hunting mission and send them on the 1 star monster hunting trip, you get monster fluid from that at a decent rate as well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doesn't axe mode on the switch axe do impact damage? So there's a legit reason outside of building up the sword meter to use axe mode.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

Altaroth's drop rates for fluid (low rank only):

Carve (kill w/ poison): 25%
Kill when sac is grey: 20%
Kill when sac is blue/green/yellow: 10%
You also get them in the rewards for the slay x Altaroth quest

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Occupation posted:

Doesn't axe mode on the switch axe do impact damage? So there's a legit reason outside of building up the sword meter to use axe mode.

Afaik, only way to do impact damage with SA is an exhaust phial.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lork posted:

OK, thanks. Of course, that's assuming that the damage from the status phials is in addition to rather than instead of the status damage already on the weapon, which, Monster Hunter being Monster Hunter, is not a given.

Actually, now that I look around, some guides say that elemental phials add 25% of the elemental damage to the raw damage. So a para weapon with ele phial would increase the raw damage but not the para when in sword mode.

I don't know which thing is correct. You may be able to check by looking at your damage under "status" in the menu when you go into sword mode. If your attack is shown as higher than when in axe mode with a para/elemental phial axe, then we know that ele phials add 25% of ele damage to raw. I do not have such a SA so cannot check this myself.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FLX posted:

In MH3U on the 3DS, how do I know when a day passed and is there a way to go free hunting at night?

A day passes if you go on a quest or go into the woods (you might have to kill or gather a resource for it to count). The night hunting becomes available only when you get to the high-rank quests.

Speaking of which, I just got to the high rank quests. Is there any specific weapon or armor I should try to farm up? I still have Ingot armor, and I use mainly a hammer, which is up to Frozen Core. Are there any other hammers I should build at this point, or any weapons of another type that might have a relatively better upgrade available with what I can do up to 6 stars?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

FedoraDefender420 posted:

I've spent more time with the hammer than any other weapon and man... I'm just not feeling the appeal. Maybe experienced hunters can explain what I'm not seeing.

The Hammers just feel too short; I still can't get a good read on the distance to target, and sometimes I swear my character model is colliding with the monster's and I still can't land a blow. The standing charged blow seems to require you to be psychic to be able to land it, the whirlwind is worse in groups than the spirit combo, and the standard X attacks or combos root you so long that you're going to get clobbered if the monster does something you need to react to. I know you're supposed to go for the head when you can for stuns, but that seems to happen way too infrequently to be worth it, since many monsters seem to need to be stunned/staggered in the first place to reach the head.

The best Hammer I can make right now has a 672, which is higher than my Longsword's 462+140, but I can land like 5 times more attacks with the Longsword an be safer while doing so. Maybe it's a playstyle thing and the Hammer's just not suited to be my weapon of choice.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

YorexTheMad posted:

I've spent more time with the hammer than any other weapon and man... I'm just not feeling the appeal. Maybe experienced hunters can explain what I'm not seeing.

The Hammers just feel too short; I still can't get a good read on the distance to target, and sometimes I swear my character model is colliding with the monster's and I still can't land a blow. The standing charged blow seems to require you to be psychic to be able to land it, the whirlwind is worse in groups than the spirit combo, and the standard X attacks or combos root you so long that you're going to get clobbered if the monster does something you need to react to. I know you're supposed to go for the head when you can for stuns, but that seems to happen way too infrequently to be worth it, since many monsters seem to need to be stunned/staggered in the first place to reach the head.

The best Hammer I can make right now has a 672, which is higher than my Longsword's 462+140, but I can land like 5 times more attacks with the Longsword an be safer while doing so. Maybe it's a playstyle thing and the Hammer's just not suited to be my weapon of choice.

I can think of only two monsters that can not be easily hit on the head, Plesioth and Jho, and that is because they hold their heads too high a lot of the time. Plesioth can be easily hit on the head when in the water.

Only use the triple pound when the monster is stunned/para/rolling around/trapped/etc, basically anytime they wont be attacking or moving for a few seconds. Otherwise you should be mostly relying on the superpound and the lvl 1-2 charge attacks to deal damage. A lot of monsters will turn around to face you, allowing you time to get a superpound off on their face if you are in position before they turn. I spend a lot of time charging up and standing behind a monster, waiting until it starts to turn and face me before unleashing a superpound and rolling away. Learning monster attack patterns and reading tells is like 90% of this game's combat anyway and is also how you predict when/where to aim your superpounds and when you can triple pound.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com
Does your Hunter Rank only increase if you do the multiplayer oriented quests? I want to start leveling it up, but I'm not sure if I need to devote more time to the port quests instead of the village quests. If so, that does kind of suck a bit since everything has so much more health in the port ones.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Metal Gear posted:

Does your Hunter Rank only increase if you do the multiplayer oriented quests? I want to start leveling it up, but I'm not sure if I need to devote more time to the port quests instead of the village quests. If so, that does kind of suck a bit since everything has so much more health in the port ones.

Village and Port quest progression are separate. HR refers to your Port quest progression, so to increase HR you must do Port quests until you unlock an urgent quest then do that urgent.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fought my first high rank Barroth and that guy was an rear end in a top hat. Twice when I broke the mud off his head he literally reapplied it immediately afterwards. :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Machai posted:

Village and Port quest progression are separate. HR refers to your Port quest progression, so to increase HR you must do Port quests until you unlock an urgent quest then do that urgent.

The hunter rank thing confuses me because I keep mixing it up with High Rank (HR) and getting things conflated. :saddowns:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Machai posted:

I can think of only two monsters that can not be easily hit on the head, Plesioth and Jho, and that is because they hold their heads too high a lot of the time. Plesioth can be easily hit on the head when in the water.

Zinogre can be a bit of a pain too, he tends to hold his head just out of reach unless he's doing his spaz-out acrobatic attacks.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

YorexTheMad posted:

The Hammers just feel too short; I still can't get a good read on the distance to target, and sometimes I swear my character model is colliding with the monster's and I still can't land a blow.

That sounds like a personal problem.

YorexTheMad posted:

The standing charged blow seems to require you to be psychic to be able to land it,

Wait for the monster to be holding still, ya dummy.

YorexTheMad posted:

the whirlwind is worse in groups than the spirit combo,

Except that it doesn't have nearly as big of a hitbox at the spirit combo and you might be blindly using it without considering where other players are?

YorexTheMad posted:

the standard X attacks or combos root you so long that you're going to get clobbered if the monster does something you need to react to.

You can roll out of combos. Rolling is performed with the B button.

YorexTheMad posted:

I know you're supposed to go for the head when you can for stuns, but that seems to happen way too infrequently to be worth it, since many monsters seem to need to be stunned/staggered in the first place to reach the head.

I've only really had trouble hitting Qurupeco's head, and that's just due to vertical distance.

YorexTheMad posted:

The best Hammer I can make right now has a 672, which is higher than my Longsword's 462+140, but I can land like 5 times more attacks with the Longsword an be safer while doing so.

A) There's no hammer with a damage value of 672. B) Your sword would have to be the Rimeblade or the Douser Bardiche. You MUST at the very least have access to Dragonite Ore, so yes, you have access to the materials for a better hammer by now.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 28, 2013

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Honestly, and I know this goes for all weapons, but hammer gets better the better you know your enemy. I can completely destroy Raths, Uragaan, Agnaktor, and most of the lower monsters with ease using the hammer, and it all comes from knowing when the monsters are open to getting smashed in the head. I can see that using the X combo is difficult to pull off if you don't know when you are safe to do it, but when you do you can get that thing off all the time on most monsters.

A couple weapons I've never been able to get into are the Gunlance and Switch Axe. They are just really weird. I have a pretty good bit of experience with all the other weapon types though, so I don't feel too bad about not wanting to get into them. Wyvern Fire is hilarious, though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Wyvern Fire is hilarious, though.

:black101:: Alright, Wyvern Fire is up! Time to blast.

:byodood:: But I've already started my spirit combo.

:black101:: :getin:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Lizard Wizard posted:

*snip stuff*

A) There's no hammer with a damage value of 672. B) Your sword would have to be the Rimeblade or the Douser Bardiche. You MUST at the very least have access to Dragonite Ore, so yes, you have access to the materials for a better hammer by now.

I know how to roll, but you have to be in a certain point in the animation to be able to roll, and the Hammer's dead zone where you can't roll feels a lot larger than other weapons I've used.

As far as Whirlwind vs. Spirit combo, I'm mainly talking from experience on being on the receiving end, since I'm considerate enough to only use them in multi when I have a wide enough berth. But I don't think I've yet been staggered by someone spamming a spirit combo, and I've been knocked crazy by multiple Hammer users going for a whirlwind.

I don't do enough partial-charge strikes with the Hammer, I didn't know those were good for damage dealing bread-and-butter stuff.

I'd love to know a better hammer to use, I've been poring through the Hammer list looking for an upgrade I can do with materials I have access to but haven't found one. I'm using a Paralykeet (I was off on the attack power a bit, sorry) and yes I am comparing it to a Rimeblade.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

YorexTheMad posted:

I'd love to know a better hammer to use, I've been poring through the Hammer list looking for an upgrade I can do with materials I have access to but haven't found one. I'm using a Paralykeet (I was off on the attack power a bit, sorry) and yes I am comparing it to a Rimeblade.

You easily have access to the Carapace Hammer, Frozen Core, Vortex Hammer, Ludroth Splashhammer, and Vodyanoy Hammer. Don't forget to check the bone paths of your weapons.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 28, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Does anyone have any recommendations for early HR weapons? I don't see any weapon paths in the game that can be upgraded without late HR monsters, except for maybe the red bludgeon -> red bludgeon+ which requires an inferno sac, that I can get from the Rathians.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

I'm trying to get a second horn for the Vortex Hammer now, in fact. Going for the Lightning damage since I have Ice covered.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

YorexTheMad posted:

I don't do enough partial-charge strikes with the Hammer, I didn't know those were good for damage dealing bread-and-butter stuff.

They let you close the distance to the monster fairly quickly to take advantage of short openings. Sometimes you can even dash past a tail swipe or other attack to get past their guard and smack them in the stomach/legs. Pretty useful on Barroth because once you get under him near the back of his legs, there isn't much he can do to hit you without plenty of warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
So was there ever a WiiU bundle released in the US? I can't really seem to find anything about it.

• Locked thread