Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Harmoknight's live! Absolutely no sign of Code of Princess though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
I've only had my 3ds for two days and I've gotten 15 street passes so far. Vancouver is a great place for them apparently.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

noirstronaut posted:

I really wish they made a Pikachu XL that had a black interior and flipped the Pikachu image.

This sounded great in theory, they could even have the cameras as the eyes!

:stonk: No no no bad idea...

Purple Gengar edition on the other hand...

:allears:

:effort:

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
For any UK goons out there, take a look at your local HMV assuming they haven't shut down. They appear to be having a sale on and I found a ton of 3DS titles for less than £20, I ended up getting Prof Layton Miracle Mask and Kid Icarus Uprising for £30 for both

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Yes, bought the XL.

Went out and got a Pikachu edition Sunday. Holy crap what a great improvement/the screen size is so fantastic/why did they insist on smudgy gloss in the first place instead of this great matte finish/etc. Absolutely love it. Also got Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon from Newegg so I'll be enjoying that on this three day weekend.

Question since we're talking about Puzzle Swap. I heard once you get every regular piece from all your puzzles, the random piece giver can start to give you purple pieces. Is that true or do I really have to get every one of them from StreetPass?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You HAVE to get those damned purple pieces off Streetpass. I guess it works out well if you live near a bunch of people who regularly use the system and streetpass others, but tough luck if you don't.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you're not getting Streetpasses, carry your 3DS EVERYWHERE. I usually wear cargo pants, so I drop my XL in one of the pockets and just carry it everywhere. I get them at random places- grocery stores, malls, gas stations, big box stores. Heck, the local Gamestore has a 3DS that I get a Streetpass off whenever I come around to check out their used games.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh man, could it actually be true?

What the gently caress..where's my game? What's this?

Godamnit Ghostlight!

(just kiddin')

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're not getting Streetpasses, carry your 3DS EVERYWHERE. I usually wear cargo pants, so I drop my XL in one of the pockets and just carry it everywhere. I get them at random places- grocery stores, malls, gas stations, big box stores. Heck, the local Gamestore has a 3DS that I get a Streetpass off whenever I come around to check out their used games.

I do this (even down to the cargo pants :reject:) and it's still been over two months since I got a hit. I'm not saying don't bother, since if we don't all carry our 3DSes then the StreetPass system will never work, but sometimes it just comes down to luck.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

You hold onto that copy, it might be the only one there is!

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

ChaosArgate posted:

You HAVE to get those damned purple pieces off Streetpass. I guess it works out well if you live near a bunch of people who regularly use the system and streetpass others, but tough luck if you don't.

I'll never beat these puzzles then. No one ever has any pieces I don't. More incentive to go even more places with the thing I guess. :shobon:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Fire Emblem Awakening European demo is up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Terper posted:

The Fire Emblem Awakening European demo is up.

So torn between hoping against hope that someone will release a region free hack and updating to play that :-/

(it's never going to happen, is it? I will forever be at the mercy of crappy European publishers won't I :()

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I just got a black 3DS XL with Monster Hunter 3 pre-installed, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the 3DS XL circle pad pro, and the official screen protectors (the Hori ones couldn't be delivered here). I've just applied the screen protectors, and now I don't know where to start. I've somehow never played a Zelda or Monster Hunter game before, and I've still to play The World Ends With You and Pokemon White 2. Where to begin :saddowns:

I wonder if Streetpass will be useless here or not. I haven't looked into it much yet, but does it really make much of a difference to anything?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Der Shovel posted:

So torn between hoping against hope that someone will release a region free hack and updating to play that :-/

(it's never going to happen, is it? I will forever be at the mercy of crappy European publishers won't I :()

It's a Nintendo title.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

limaCAT posted:

It's a Nintendo title.

You misunderstood. Accessing the demo requires the latest 3DS firmware which blocks the few hacks that have been found so far. I really want a way to bypass region locks because European publishers hate anything remotely niche, which I love. And hell, maybe even a way to run my own code because I'd love to try my hand at coding on the 3DS. So now I'm torn between updating to play the demo or not updating and hoping against hope that someone starts making something happen on the 3DS.

But I realize it's probably not happening so I guess I might as well update and get it over with.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Der Shovel posted:

You misunderstood. Accessing the demo requires the latest 3DS firmware which blocks the few hacks that have been found so far. I really want a way to bypass region locks because European publishers hate anything remotely niche, which I love. And hell, maybe even a way to run my own code because I'd love to try my hand at coding on the 3DS. So now I'm torn between updating to play the demo or not updating and hoping against hope that someone starts making something happen on the 3DS.

But I realize it's probably not happening so I guess I might as well update and get it over with.

Ah ok.
If I were you then I would wait for this year's Gamescom, even if I think that 3DS will hardly be hackable either by then or after (but I can be mistaken).
It depends if you want to play with Luigi right now, Fire Emblem or with Animal Crossing in June. my two :eurovision:cents

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Oh hey look, it's the PS3 situation all over again. :negative:

Edit: Minus region-locking, of course.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

limaCAT posted:

Ah ok.
If I were you then I would wait for this year's Gamescom, even if I think that 3DS will hardly be hackable either by then or after (but I can be mistaken).
It depends if you want to play with Luigi right now, Fire Emblem or with Animal Crossing in June. my two :eurovision:cents

I really do want to play Luigi. Does it require the latest firmware? Because if it does then that's settled.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Finally got around to playing the Fire Emblem demo..my god. This is the game. This is my new FFTA2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Finally got around to playing the Fire Emblem demo..my god. This is the game. This is my new FFTA2.

It has probably 1/4 as much content as FFTA2 but yeah, its pretty good. Especially casual mode.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RadicalR posted:

There is a program that you can program on your computer, then transfer to the 3DS.

Can that also get around the QR codes?

Because 90 codes for a loving synth program is goddamn TIRING

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Barudak posted:

It has probably 1/4 as much content as FFTA2 but yeah, its pretty good. Especially casual mode.

Real men play Classic mode. :smug: (and then reset every time someone dies anyway)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix posted:

Real men play Classic mode. :smug: (and then reset every time someone dies anyway)

Honestly, one of the big flaws of casual mode is how once you realize you aren't replaying battles 3-4 times to have everything go perfectly and you have it memorized the game is actually really short.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Artix posted:

I played one of the GBA Fire Emblems like that when I was in the army. I always volunteered for fire watch during camps because it gave me hours of good Fire Emblem grinding time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you use this?
Here's our incredibly up to date and active thread about Petit Computer. Its a pretty cool piece of software if you're at all nostalgic about 80s computers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I picked up HarmoKnight today and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed. The levels are quite easy to get a "gold" rank, and there isn't much reason to try to get a pefect. All the bosses are the same kind of "simon says" format that gets boring pretty fast. Bit.trip Runner 2 is a much better game for $15.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

The same group never got the DSi hacked for long either. Their hack was released, a day later Nintendo took the offending title off of the DSiWare store and put out a system update to ensure it wasn't used again. A company put out a DSi flashcard, but it used the exact same exploit, and when it was patched the company disappeared from the web.

It's perfectly safe to update because now that it has been patched, you can bet any future revisions of the hardware or new colors are going to be patched the same. The only people with low firmware right now are pirates who are desperate to have ALL THE GAMES FREE BECAUSE I DESERVE THEM. Chinese pirates have just moved on to making 1:1 copies of cartridges and adding a switch to change to a DS mode flash cart.

There are no public hacks available in the first place and there was never an intended release either. Nintendo saw what happened with the Wii and DS and don't want it happening again. This time by dumb luck or by examining their own code they figured out how a save exploit would be done and nipped it in the bud. Update and enjoy Fire Emblem(the free DLC requires logging into the eShop as well.)

E: I'm not trying to equate homebrew and importing with piracy, but most of the people vocally wanting hax (and spreading "news" about them) right now are kids wanting to play commercial games. A funny rumor going around right now is that GeoHot came out of retirement to hack the 3DS.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 28, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Artix posted:

It's not about losing the unit, it's about figuring out a way to get through a battle with no casualties!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dehry posted:

There are no public hacks available in the first place and there was never an intended release either. Nintendo saw what happened with the Wii and DS and don't want it happening again. This time by dumb luck or by examining their own code they figured out how a save exploit would be done and nipped it in the bud. Update and enjoy Fire Emblem(the free DLC requires logging into the eShop as well.)

What free dlc? it's all paid that im looking at.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What free dlc? it's all paid that im looking at.

The US version had the first DLC map for free for the first month, much like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has one for free. It's all paid now.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I really loved the FFTA on the GBA and I just ordered A2 on a whim. What's the consensus on it?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dehry posted:

The US version had the first DLC map for free for the first month, much like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has one for free. It's all paid now.

but: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/13/fire-emblem-awakening-to-see-free-downloadable-maps-and-characters/

quote:

Ghost of Blade (Mar. 28th) – A tale about a ghost and the “ultimate sacrifice”

Wellspring of Trust (Apr. 11th) – A map full of challenging enemies

The Radiant Hero (Apr. 25th) – Chrom and allies search for a legendary hero

None of these show up in the store. the store basically only has some pay to win poo poo.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

but: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/13/fire-emblem-awakening-to-see-free-downloadable-maps-and-characters/

None of these show up in the store. the store basically only has some pay to win poo poo.

Probably because two of those maps aren't out yet and the third one was just released today, genius.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dehry posted:

Right, the only "Free" DLC is now the spotpass teams and paralogue maps which is still a lot of extra content.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those are spotpass content. You have to go to Wireless->Bonus Box.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those are SpotPass battles, which are different from DLC proper.

NOA made the first piece of official DLC free for a limited time (the one with Marth, I forget what it's called) but it's paid now. NOE is doing the same thing when FE comes out here in a couple weeks, that's what he was referring to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

Right, the only "Free" DLC is now the spotpass teams and paralogue maps which is still a lot of extra content.

Those are spotpass content. You have to go to Wireless->Bonus Box.

Oh, I don't have the wireless thing yet, I just bought the game today. How far do I have to get?

Also gamestop doesn't even sell Zero Escape :|

Can I still do that thing to get spotpass at home?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh, I don't have the wireless thing yet, I just bought the game today. How far do I have to get?

Spotpass teams are just a bunch of teams per Fire Emblem Game. They are mostly useful for buying some rare items far earlier than usual. If you beat them, you get the leader (without weapons).

The Paralogue maps are basically post-game. You can only access them when the final map opens up (This will be very obvious).

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Yoya posted:

I really loved the FFTA on the GBA and I just ordered A2 on a whim. What's the consensus on it?

Huge improvement over the original in almost every way. There's a vast amount of content, although some of it gets stale. The interface also needs work and the game itself is extraordinarily slow feeling. In particular, going back to ffta2 after Awakening was maddening because they feel light years apart in terms of user interface and design.

However, I've played about fifty hours of the game over the years, and have only seen maybe thirty percent of what the game offers. It's immense. If you can tolerate the GBA version, the DS version will be a very nice update.

I'd kill for a new FFTA with some modern conveniences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can I still do that thing to get spotpass at home?

Just finish Chapter 4 and it will unlock.

• Locked thread