Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Would you hate the support job more than your current gig? If so just stay where you're at.

I'm not sure. I think my biggest gripe with my current job is honestly dealing with customers, because of project creep out the rear end. So on one hand it sound dumb to me to go to a job focused on supporting users. But then again, aside from fixing their problem, that's probably all my job would entail. At the end of my shift I don't need to worry about reporting back to the customer on my progress on a certain aspect of a project or due date.

Bob Morales posted:

Why don't you start learning <interesting technology x> during your free time, and then try to get a job working with that?

There's really not much that interests me enough to hold my focus. Ideally, I'd love to be a success indie game dev, strike it rich and then quit life but that's such an unfeasible pipe dream that I ask myself, why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Chances of you becoming a successful indie dev if you dedicate yourself > 0%
Chances of you becoming a successful indie dev if you don't bother == 0%

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" Just have fun and program some dumb games no one will ever play. Maybe some day one of those dumb games will actually be real good and make you rich, maybe not. The worst way to go through life is not trying anything because you are afraid of failure.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 26, 2013

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Better to regret something you did rather than something you didn't do.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

Better to regret something you did rather than something you didn't do.

Murder?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not to that extreme obviously.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

seiken posted:

vvv what's your ldap

If you are where I think you are, isn't there an internal goon group? I didn't bother joining because it didn't look very active. Should I have?

Sab669 posted:

Should I take this new job

Isn't Accenture a consulting firm? Will yours be a consulting position? Just be aware that a consulting position would be different from a dev job, if that's what you had before. Not necessarily good or bad, but different. If you don't know what consulting is like, it might be worth it to give it a shot just to see what it's like. (Disclaimer: I've never worked at a consulting gig. I almost did and talked to a lot of the guys there, but ultimately decided that that lifestyle isn't right for me.)

Also, financial consulting (or whatever) is vastly different from tech consulting, so be careful when trying to get advice from "consulting friends" about what life is like. I almost made that mistake :shobon:

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

facepalmolive posted:

If you are where I think you are, isn't there an internal goon group? I didn't bother joining because it didn't look very active. Should I have?

Oh, maybe there is, I didn't look to see.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Is craigslist a legitimate way to send out resumes?
I just want to get out of the midwest and I don't have any companies in mind so I've been thinking about just searching ".NET" on whatever regional craigslist tickles my fancy and then applying to the ones that look fun.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Yes but its a pretty nonstandard place for programming jobs so usually the offerings are pretty slim and the employers involved are kind of clueless. If you see something you like don't hesitate to apply though.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Tres Burritos posted:

Is craigslist a legitimate way to send out resumes?
I just want to get out of the midwest and I don't have any companies in mind so I've been thinking about just searching ".NET" on whatever regional craigslist tickles my fancy and then applying to the ones that look fun.

I got my job off craigslist.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

My first job was off CL. If you ignore the stupid postings it's pretty decent.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sab669 posted:

Just hoping anyone can offer some input/advice...
If I was you, I'd tough it out for a bit, try to work less stupidly than your coworkers, work on personal coding projects on the side, and parlay work experience + side experience into a better dev job somewhere else. Demand for devs is strong enough now that if you have a current job as a dev, getting another job as a dev shouldn't be very difficult at all once you have like 6+ months experience.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

hieronymus posted:

I got my job off craigslist.

I got a job off of Craigslist. It was a pretty good job!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

facepalmolive posted:

Isn't Accenture a consulting firm? Will yours be a consulting position? Just be aware that a consulting position would be different from a dev job, if that's what you had before. Not necessarily good or bad, but different. If you don't know what consulting is like, it might be worth it to give it a shot just to see what it's like. (Disclaimer: I've never worked at a consulting gig. I almost did and talked to a lot of the guys there, but ultimately decided that that lifestyle isn't right for me.)

Also, financial consulting (or whatever) is vastly different from tech consulting, so be careful when trying to get advice from "consulting friends" about what life is like. I almost made that mistake :shobon:

I would say the tech consulting gig is not a half bad option at all. You can see how business is done in a lot of different places in a short period of time, which is valuable experience elsewhere later on. There's a reason the big consulting houses have "alumni associations" - they know full well that the career path for a lot of people is that you get in, rack up lots of experience, and move on to the next thing. Not everyone wants to make partner.

The caveat there is that the travel involved basically means you will have no social life at home, and honestly this is why it's kind of a self-limiting gig at some point. You will need to constantly remind your friends when you are around or else they will assume you are out of town. You will likely only get to see your significant other on weekends, provided they don't break up with you. If you have this sort of job while you have young kids, they are likely to resent the hell out of you for the rest of their lives because you weren't home to help them with homework or play outside.

But when you're in your early to mid 20s, it's great. You can also save a crapload of money doing this, considering your living expenses for most of every week are on an expense account. For instance, I had a colleague on one project team who "lived" with his parents rather than rent a place he'd only see on weekends. Food and fun on weekends were the only thing he had to cover out of pocket, so he was able to cram nearly all his salary into savings and after doing that for a couple years was able to make a very sizable down payment on a house.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

facepalmolive posted:

Can you elaborate a little more on that? I was a bank examiner for the government, but I liked the IT audits we'd done and I'm shifting my career towards a more technical path now. Unless you're talking along the lines of "financial consulting" involving having to meet sales quotas and hustling vs "consulting" being a weekly in/out frequent flyer? (in that case - I do understand the difference there)

Just miss that traveler lifestyle and I'm eyeballing places like Accenture or similar positions.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Sorry, I guess I actually meant management consulting. Places like McKinsey and such. So yeah, nothing close to tech stuff. I still don't understand what management consulting actually entails. The sense I get is that they tailor to companies who have problems, don't actually want to solve them, but still want to look good to investors, so they try to pretend they care by throwing truckloads of money at these management consulting firms.

Here's a very angry, frothing-at-the-mouth article from a kid who interned at one of these places. From his writing, I frankly think he's a little bit full of poo poo (and hyperbole), but there you go. But yeah, that won't be what you're gonna get for tech-ish consulting.

Of course, I'm in the Bay Area, so the consulting gig I was considering was all like "yeah, go visit these other tech companies somewhere else in the Bay Area!" There wasn't as much travel involved, so I kind of forgot about mentioning that. Another plus about tech consulting is what kitten smoothie alluded to -- networking. You get to work with a lot of people in a lot of different companies, so it's a great way to get your name around.

I get the sense that it's definitely not easy work, though, as you're constantly overwhelmed with "learning new things" -- either for your own field, or crash-coursing on understanding how your client's environment/infrastructure works. My mentor guy (who has done consulting) told me that the average tenure for a consultant is around 2-2.5 years because it's easy to burn out. He described the job to me as a "boot camp" for your field. And that's all inbetween all the travel and not-sleeping-in-your-own-bed that you'd have to do if you don't live in a tech hub somewhere.

But as kitten smoothie said, it's a great way to get a ton of experience in a short amount of time. Couple that with getting your name out there, and many consultants end up leaving for other "normal" companies to take up senior-level positions, such as VPs and architects. (In fact, I got referred to applying to Consulting Firm in the first place by a brand new VP of Normal Company who was an alum of Consulting Firm. He turned me down for Normal Company for a lack of experience, and a consulting job is a great place to earn that.)

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
From that link above:

quote:

Despite having no work or research experience outside of MIT, I was regularly advertised to clients as an expert with seemingly years of topical experience relevant to the case. We were so good at rephrasing our credentials that even I was surprised to find in each of my cases, even my very first case, that I was the most senior consultant on the team.
He is a little bitter and hyperbolic but this rings out as especially true. In the consulting world the definition of Expert, internally, is "you've logged more time on X compared to 25% of the staff here", and client-facing definition of Expert is "This person is working on X for you, therefore they are an Expert on X" it just gets stated to the client the other way around, and nevermind the fact that the person was hired on 2 weeks ago and hadn't really known what X was until last week.

He's also pretty dead on about burnout. It can be as bad as startups and game companies for our profession. If however you are looking to do software for a while and transition to another career (particularly one with more business acumen) consulting is precisely where you want to be.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey Goons thanks for all the input regarding resume ratios and internships. You've all motivated me to start throwing my resume out there to try to snag an internship, or maybe even a part-time job while in college. Does anyone mind giving me a quick resume critique?

code:
NAME STUFF
------

Skill Set
&#61607;	Object Oriented Programming
&#61607;	.NET framework
&#61607;	Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
&#61607;	C# Coding
&#61607;	Node.js / Javascript
&#61607;	PHP
&#61607;	MVC Software Architecture 
&#61607;	GIT

Relevant Experience

Lockhart Phillips USA (In contract to), March 2012 – Present
Developer
Created software in C# to migrate entire 5,000 page e-commerce website to a new reliable webhost without FTP information.  
Programmed dealer locater in Javascript so customers can find LPUSA product suppliers throughout the world.  
Maintained and improved PHP website to increase the amount of customer revenue coming in through the website.  
Developed new website features as needed.  

PlusWebHost.com (Owner), March 2010 – Present
Owner
Created many hobby projects, including an online spreadsheet written in Javascript and PHP, a website written with Node.js 
/ Javascript reading and parsing JSON API callbacks to display player's items in a video game (work in progress), 
a craps game, and a website data parser that converts specific wanted data into an Excel spreadsheet.

Samples of Expertise
[url]https://github.com/Noppadet/LPMigrate[/url]
[url]http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/[/url] 
[url]https://bitbucket.org/knyteguy/meta.tf[/url]

Education
2009 – Present (Major in Computer Science & Engineering)
	Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, NV
2000 – 2004 (Graduated)
	Spanish Springs High School, Reno, NV
References
I threw in some extra line breaks for the good of the tables.

Thanks again :)

E: Added one more sample, it's not an open source project but I'll invite them if I get an interview or something.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 28, 2013

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Hey Goons thanks for all the input regarding resume ratios and internships. You've all motivated me to start throwing my resume out there to try to snag an internship, or maybe even a part-time job while in college. Does anyone mind giving me a quick resume critique?

A few quick tips:

1, Git isn't an acronym. Only capitalize the first letter.
2. It's a lot better to give specifics for things like "increase the amount of customer revenue" if at all possible. If you can be more specific about what you did than "maintenance" and "improvement", that's even better.
3. Your github project isn't in good enough shape to use as a portfolio. At a bare minimum it needs a readme file to explain what it's supposed to do and where the relevant code is. I clicked through several files that didn't have much in the way of code, then I found one file that seemed like it had the bulk of the application in it, but it was full of stuff like this:

code:
    class AgilityPackWebsite
    {
        string _website;
        public string Website
        {
            get
            {
                return this._website;
            }
            set
            {
                this._website = value;
            }
        }
    }
This is a problem because (1) why does this class even exist, it's just a string (2) the name of the class is nonsensical and seems to be a verb rather than a noun, and (3) website is a pretty bad name for a variable anyway--is it a url, html, some packed representation of a site, or what? I don't say this to be discouraging or mean, but to encourage you to do some thinking about your code from the perspective of someone coming to it from the outside and trying to use it to evaluate what kind of coder you are.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

greatZebu posted:

A few quick tips:

1, Git isn't an acronym. Only capitalize the first letter.
2. It's a lot better to give specifics for things like "increase the amount of customer revenue" if at all possible. If you can be more specific about what you did than "maintenance" and "improvement", that's even better.
3. Your github project isn't in good enough shape to use as a portfolio. At a bare minimum it needs a readme file to explain what it's supposed to do and where the relevant code is. I clicked through several files that didn't have much in the way of code, then I found one file that seemed like it had the bulk of the application in it, but it was full of stuff like this:

code:
    class AgilityPackWebsite
    {
        string _website;
        public string Website
        {
            get
            {
                return this._website;
            }
            set
            {
                this._website = value;
            }
        }
    }
This is a problem because (1) why does this class even exist, it's just a string (2) the name of the class is nonsensical and seems to be a verb rather than a noun, and (3) website is a pretty bad name for a variable anyway--is it a url, html, some packed representation of a site, or what? I don't say this to be discouraging or mean, but to encourage you to do some thinking about your code from the perspective of someone coming to it from the outside and trying to use it to evaluate what kind of coder you are.

Alright thanks for the tips, I've been dreading refactoring the code but I guess it needs to be done. I use that class like once in the code, so yea it's pretty worthless. There's also a lot of commented out code I didn't end up using.

I really wish I could make my bitbucket project open source. It's setup for http://yui.github.com/yuidoc/ but I plan on making it a revenue generating project.

I'll make sure I go over what you've stated and fix it up before I send it out. Unfortunately I don't have the exact statistics on the revenue increase from the contract job. We couldn't export the statistic database when we migrated the site over. Thanks again for the help :).

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Knyteguy posted:

I really wish I could make my bitbucket project open source. It's setup for http://yui.github.com/yuidoc/ but I plan on making it a revenue generating project.

What is going to generate more revenue, the project or the job your potentially not getting by only making substandard projects open source?

If it is the project why are you applying for jobs and not working on it full time? If it is not why not open source it and work on it for fun?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

I would say the tech consulting gig is not a half bad option at all. You can see how business is done in a lot of different places in a short period of time, which is valuable experience elsewhere later on. There's a reason the big consulting houses have "alumni associations" - they know full well that the career path for a lot of people is that you get in, rack up lots of experience, and move on to the next thing. Not everyone wants to make partner.

The caveat there is that the travel involved basically means you will have no social life at home, and honestly this is why it's kind of a self-limiting gig at some point. You will need to constantly remind your friends when you are around or else they will assume you are out of town. You will likely only get to see your significant other on weekends, provided they don't break up with you. If you have this sort of job while you have young kids, they are likely to resent the hell out of you for the rest of their lives because you weren't home to help them with homework or play outside.

But when you're in your early to mid 20s, it's great. You can also save a crapload of money doing this, considering your living expenses for most of every week are on an expense account. For instance, I had a colleague on one project team who "lived" with his parents rather than rent a place he'd only see on weekends. Food and fun on weekends were the only thing he had to cover out of pocket, so he was able to cram nearly all his salary into savings and after doing that for a couple years was able to make a very sizable down payment on a house.

I did initially apply for a traveling position with the company but didn't get it. I'd be okay with traveling, as I have no SO, kids, or social life outside of my roommates! Woo! Anyways, had the interview for that help desk position. They're looking for someone who knows Java really well, which I do not. I assumed it would be C# as it's generally a .NET company. Oh well. She referred me to another department within the company though...

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Hey guys, have been reading this thread for quite a while as I prepared and started my job search, and now I'm presented with the following options.

I am a Junior Developer with practically no industry experience, and I have interviewed with two companies, Company A and Company B.

Company A:
- software development company
- contacted me out of the blue, having seen my video resume and portfolio
- invited me into their offices for a chat, and then back for drinks the next day, and then made me an offer
- completely flat structure (structure is per-project based, anyone can choose to lead a particular project and then choose their team)
- corporate and government clients
- $80,000 (offer made)

Company B:
- large construction company with a small software development department
- looked at nothing other than my resume, didn't read my cover letter, ignored my portfolio and video resume
- had me travel to Sydney (around a 5 hour drive) for an interview "sometime this week", postponed the interview, made me make a second trip
- answering to a single senior developer, who, admittedly, is a pretty cool guy, used to work for both Microsoft and Google
- internally facing systems (ie creating systems to be used by the staff of the construction company)
- $45,000-$55,000 (estimated offer pending)

Company B has told me they'd like me to come back for a second interview, claiming that I was the "strongest of the candidates they saw". That's all well and good, but mere hours after I received notification of the interview, Company A made their offer. I still do not have an interview date set for Company B.

Although I've made Company B out to be pretty awful, they didn't do anything wrong - they just weren't particularly considerate. I'm sure they're completely unaware of the fact that I'd booked a hotel and travelled to Sydney to make myself available for the interview that they'd assured me would be within a week, before postponing it at the last minute (all while unemployed, mind).

I've made the decision to sign with Company A - I had a great first impression from them, they work on super-interesting projects, they treated me like a human being, they offered me $20,000 more than I asked for, and even offered to cover my costs in travelling (which I refused as I met with them during my "limbo" time with Company B and didn't feel I could throw that on them).

Obviously I don't want to continue with Company B, but I don't want to be a dick about it. Again, Company B haven't done anything wrong, Company A have just been a hell of a lot more interested in getting me on board and therefore did their best to look after me.

So, my question is this: given that I'm still waiting to hear from Company B regarding the date of a second interview, what's the best way to say "thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company", given that I will almost certainly receive a phone call from the recruiter asking me why? Company A has even said to me "we'd like you to be content with your decision, we'd like you to attend your other interview just so you're 100% sure", but for me, the decision's been made. It's a better team, it's better money, it's more interesting projects, and more people will get to see my work.

How do I tell Company B, essentially, "I don't want to waste any more of either of our time, so I'm going to cut it short here"?

Stobbit fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 28, 2013

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Stobbit posted:

So, my question is this: given that I'm still waiting to hear from Company B regarding the date of a second interview, what's the best way to say "thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company"

"Thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company."

It happens all the time and you don't owe anything to Company B. If you receive a call from the recruiter asking why you can say "Company A is a better fit for me" and that really is the end of the conversation.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Stobbit posted:

"thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company"

You already answered your question.

Don't worry about it. It happens all the time and won't be unexpected.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Stobbit posted:

what's the best way to say "thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company",
Maybe tell them "thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company"; it is really that easy. You don't owe them anything.

Edit: I was beaten!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Stobbit posted:

How do I tell Company B, essentially, "I don't want to waste any more of either of our time, so I'm going to cut it short here"?
That, put slightly more politely, should do fine. It's in their interest that you tell them sooner rather than later, so they can pick a different candidate with the knowledge that you're no longer available.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Congrats on the offer, by the way. I'd kill to be making $80k right now :stare:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Sab669 posted:

Congrats on the offer, by the way. I'd kill to be making $80k right now :stare:

I never realised having someone killed was so expensive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

csammis posted:

If you receive a call from the recruiter asking why you can say "Company A is a better fit for me" and that really is the end of the conversation.
Yup. Get used to hearing the word "fit" a lot when it comes to hiring. It's used a ton as a general purpose buzzword to cover up motivations that would sound tactless spoken aloud ("I took this other offer because you suck and the other guys are giving me way more money" becomes "the other company felt like a better fit").

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cicero posted:

Yup. Get used to hearing the word "fit" a lot when it comes to hiring. It's used a ton as a general purpose buzzword to cover up motivations that would sound tactless spoken aloud ("I took this other offer because you suck and the other guys are giving me way more money" becomes "the other company felt like a better fit").

Or conversely "We think you're totally unqualified for this job and you came off as an jackass during the interview" translates to "We appreciate your skills and experience, and enjoyed interviewing you, however we have decided to pursue another candidate who represents a better fit for the position."

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So 2 months into this (predictably) suckfest corporate job on a 3 month contract; I ask and realize to myself as I hunt for new jobs, all corporate coding jobs are probably god awful from a programmer perspective? Are small (prosperous) companies developer paradise? How do you find these jobs though (what with them being small local companies)?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Mr. Crow posted:

Are small (prosperous) companies developer paradise?
More of just that they're far more variable.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Crow posted:

So 2 months into this (predictably) suckfest corporate job on a 3 month contract; I ask and realize to myself as I hunt for new jobs, all corporate coding jobs are probably god awful from a programmer perspective? Are small (prosperous) companies developer paradise? How do you find these jobs though (what with them being small local companies)?

Corporate jobs will tend towards higher pay and better benefits, but you have more bureaucracy to deal with.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mr. Crow posted:

For starters, you're going to have to elaborate on what makes your current job a suckfest. People have different preferences. It's also hard to tell whether you have complaints that could generally be addressed by a different type of job, or if you're how!!ing out about having to work with other people and you'll just have to suck it up.

There are going to be some generalities that we can trot out here (e.g. corporate jobs have more bureaucracy to deal with), but all companies are different. Even within an otherwise fantastic company you could get stuck on a lovely team with a lovely manager doing lovely work sitting next to a guy that smells like poo poo. This applies for all companies, big and small.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

Mr. Crow posted:

It depends on what kind of programmer you are. If you don't really care about programming, then stick with big companies. If you really love programming, then you're best to stick with smaller companies. If you're self taught, or have lots of personal projects, you probably are a great programmer, and working at a big company will drive you crazy. If you just chose Computer Science as your major because you "heard they make lots of money", you probably suck as a developer (but are too stupid to admit it to yourself) and you'll have more fun working with other miserable bastards such as yourself. Most employees at big companies don't care at all if they do a good job or a crappy job so its very common to see the most hosed up ugly crap you have ever seen.

That said, there are some lovely small companies. Small startups generally are either incredibly terrible, or incredibly awesome. Its really dependent on the personalities of the people who already are involved with the company.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tk posted:

For starters, you're going to have to elaborate on what makes your current job a suckfest. People have different preferences. It's also hard to tell whether you have complaints that could generally be addressed by a different type of job, or if you're how!!ing out about having to work with other people and you'll just have to suck it up.

There are going to be some generalities that we can trot out here (e.g. corporate jobs have more bureaucracy to deal with), but all companies are different. Even within an otherwise fantastic company you could get stuck on a lovely team with a lovely manager doing lovely work sitting next to a guy that smells like poo poo. This applies for all companies, big and small.

Posting from my phone so I'll try to keep it short, but my biggest gripe is a "get it done" mentality and having to do hoola hoops around bureaucracy. There's no quality control; no peer review, we have one tester I know of, that basically verifies the feature works then we ship it off, no regression testing on and on... It's also a joy that designers, writers and any other job description related to developing a product have no direct interaction or "architecture". Designer gets done with a new page? Hands me a zip file with just a raw html f file and all the necessary folders /files structure in whatever dreamweaver decided that had nothing to do with the solution or actual website structure. Now I get to figure out what already exists, what's new, figure out where to put it, break the page apart into separate asp. Net components that are all over blah blah blah. Oh and the point of contact that assigns the ticket, "use all the existing tracking information". Wait what? Half of this doesn't make sense for this, go back and forth for a week trying to clarify the requirements with a guy that doesn't know anything about analytics or code. Finally go talk to one of the analytics guys directly. ."what? We've stopped using that entirely, ya just GA is fine for this page." Cool. Also good to know we stopped using that tracker cause its still everywhere in the code and website!

Also IT/Help desk bullshit. They hired an Internet manager a week after me and hosed up his laptop with no ide. He's harassed them weekly and still uses the free express versions (he can't open half the projects).

I have no doubt I was spoiled by my first job (small 40~ person software company), and that this company is just exemplary lovely, but I can see everything I hate about this job being much more likely to occur in any other corporate environment.

Edit: haha maybe not, guess you can tell how much I love this place! Apologize for the partial rant.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I graduated in December of 2012 and rather than immediately go into the workforce, I decided to take some time off and travel around Europe. I'll be getting back in early May and plan to start sending out feelers for jobs a week before I return but now that I'm actually starting to focus on looking for a job, I've got a couple of questions that popped up for me.

First (and I realize this is a little late for this), does taking such a large chunk of time with no employment or projects really to show for it seriously hurt my chances of finding a job?

Second, the places I want to look for jobs are all out of state by a longshot and while I'm not worried about the interview phase etc. once I actually land an offer how long would you say is reasonable to ask for sorting out a housing situation?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I see that how!! is knocking it out of the park with his advice again. I'll let all the guys at Google, Amazon, et al. know that they are, in fact, terrible programmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

how!! posted:

It depends on what kind of programmer you are. If you don't really care about programming, then stick with big companies. If you really love programming, then you're best to stick with smaller companies. If you're self taught, or have lots of personal projects, you probably are a great programmer, and working at a big company will drive you crazy. If you just chose Computer Science as your major because you "heard they make lots of money", you probably suck as a developer (but are too stupid to admit it to yourself) and you'll have more fun working with other miserable bastards such as yourself. Most employees at big companies don't care at all if they do a good job or a crappy job so its very common to see the most hosed up ugly crap you have ever seen.

That said, there are some lovely small companies. Small startups generally are either incredibly terrible, or incredibly awesome. Its really dependent on the personalities of the people who already are involved with the company.

Do you know this for a fact, having experienced big and small organizations, or are you just divining this insight from Slashdot comments and Dilbert comics?