Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

10-8 posted:

Or get a better lender. I can tell you from experience that there's no problem getting a mortgage with IBR if you deal with a lender that knows what it's doing. I suspect your coworker had some other problems and just wanted to blame IBR.

I am on IBR, my 'normal' payments would be absurdly impossible to make on my current salary. We had no problem purchasing a house 2 years ago. I don't even think they counted the debt at all, let alone whatever payments I make on it. (They are very small since I have 3 dependents).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
IBR is cool and all but it sure doesn't help with my $600.00 a month payments to private loans. Thanks undergrad financial office!

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

quote:

“I hear we are already 200k over our estimate—that’s Team DLA Piper!” wrote then-DLA Piper partner Erich P. Eisenegger in one email.

After another lawyer responded, noting that an attorney colleague, whose first name is Vince, had been added to the group working on the bankruptcy matter, then-DLA Piper attorney Christopher Thomson added his thoughts: “Now Vince has random people working full time on random research projects in standard ‘churn that bill, baby!’ mode," wrote Thomson. “That bill shall know no limits.”

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/sued_by_dla_piper_for_675k_ex-client_discovers_lighthearted_churn_that_bill/

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Also, the ABA's idea of employment figures for the class of 2012 is out and, well. . .

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

I pay $10/mo towards my loans. On IBR, I only need to pay zero dollars per month, but I am overpaying slightly to ensure that these months count towards my PSLF, since its not clear whether paying nothing would count. I have 117 months to go until the big forgiveness day.

For the record: Debt $130k, salary a little above $46k

How, exactly, do you have that salary and $0 due for IBR?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

TheBestDeception posted:

How, exactly, do you have that salary and $0 due for IBR?

IBR is based on prior year's tax return (so two years ago's income)

2 years ago I was a 2L, so I had $0 taxable income, so my IBR is capped at roughly 10% of $0.

I'm going to do my 2013 1040 this weekend, and then send that in to Fedloan. My 2013 1040 will say I had like $6k of taxable income in 2012. My IBR will still be basically $0.

It will be sometime in 2014 before I have to start making appreciable payments on my loans. Obama be praised.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

HolySwissCheese posted:

2 years ago I was a 2L, so I had $0 taxable income, so my IBR is capped at roughly 10% of $0.

I'm going to do my 2013 1040 this weekend, and then send that in to Fedloan. My 2013 1040 will say I had like $6k of taxable income in 2012. My IBR will still be basically $0.

It will be sometime in 2014 before I have to start making appreciable payments on my loans. Obama be praised.

Married, 4 kids, unemployed spouse would do it too, according to the Dept of Ed's calculator. So, something to think about.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

While it is true that a prior tax return is the primary source of documentation used by IBR, the letter also states that if the tax return no longer reflects your current income, you should file the alternative documentation of income form.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You should also pay a usage tax on everything you buy on Amazon.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm hoping that a new bill will be passed to pay me back the $200,000 I repaid over ten years or so.

It would be sweet to get a check for $200,000 from the government.

Thank god for IBR - just another prop in the machine that keeps law school tuition astronomical. As long as someone (or roughly 53% of 314,000,000 people) pays for it, law schools'll charge for it.

By the way, I wouldn't worry about it being cancelled. They will never cancel it for people who are already eligible. (Could theoretically pull the ladder up and stop offering it to new loan recipients, but not for those who already have the loans.)

Unless the North Korean nukes hit and we go into full on civil disobedience/Mad Max rapist gang mode. But if that happens, you probably won't have to repay your loans anyway. You will want some guns however.

So, in summary, take lots of student loans, and buy lots of guns. Even if the North Korean nukes don't hit and IBR gets cancelled, you have a back up plan of being able to shoot gubmint debt collectors who come on your land and violate your sovereignty. This means that you will probably accidentally shoot the mailman, but in fairness, they are often the advance scouts for the black helicopter jackbooted motherfuckers.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Also, never forget: the #1 unhappiest job?

Assistant Crack Whore.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

SlyFrog posted:

Assistant Crack Whore.

Not according to that survey, it isn't.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

Not according to that survey, it isn't.

Survey's wrong, and likely being run by the crypto-fascists at the National Association of Realtors.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

SlyFrog posted:

Assistant Crack Whore.

This position has been replaced by Crack Whore Intern.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Ahahaha, SlyFrog back with a vengeance. I hope your hangover isn't too bad this morning

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Thankfully the career track I'm aiming for it doesn't really matter where I got a JD, just that I have one and pass 2 bars.

Then again I have 4 years of substantial experience prior to law school, so if all else fails I can just go back to what I was doing +50% pay.

I feel sorry for those with no experience, no marketable degree, and are in a lower end private law school. poo poo's gonna be rough for you. Then again I wouldn't have any qualms about hiring from most law schools, well maybe not those for profit dumpster fires.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Jack Forge posted:

Thankfully the career track I'm aiming for it doesn't really matter where I got a JD, just that I have one and pass 2 bars.

Then again I have 4 years of substantial experience prior to law school, so if all else fails I can just go back to what I was doing +50% pay.

I feel sorry for those with no experience, no marketable degree, and are in a lower end private law school. poo poo's gonna be rough for you. Then again I wouldn't have any qualms about hiring from most law schools, well maybe not those for profit dumpster fires.

Ah, the siren song of "I'm so awesome at my current job that even if I can't hack being a lawyer they'll be begging to hire me back with a massive raise :smug:"

I'm curious what sort of industry will hire someone for an entry level legal position and require they be licensed in multiple states but doesn't care where they went to law school.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Jack Forge posted:

You sound pretty stupid.

GamingHyena posted:

I'm curious what sort of industry will hire someone for an entry level legal position and require they be licensed in multiple states but doesn't care where they went to law school.

Judging by his aspieness, belief that it doesn't matter what school he goes to, and reference to having a marketable degree, he's talking about a state bar and the patent bar.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

GamingHyena posted:

Ah, the siren song of "I'm so awesome at my current job that even if I can't hack being a lawyer they'll be begging to hire me back with a massive raise :smug:"

I immediately thought JAG, and then I thought "lol" to the rest of his post. The armed forces is the only place I could think of that would give "substantial experience" to some kid after college.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
My favorite thing about when people say "I'm thinking about going JAG" is you get to say "hey as far as I'm concerned you've been a jag from day one"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HiddenReplaced posted:

Judging by his aspieness, belief that it doesn't matter what school he goes to, and reference to having a marketable degree, he's talking about a state bar and the patent bar.

Gonna really enjoy his "guys, no one wants to hire a patent attorney with a degree from east bumfuck law" posts in a couple years.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Kalman posted:

Gonna really enjoy his "guys, no one wants to hire a patent attorney with a degree from east bumfuck law" posts in a couple years.

Um, I think you're forgetting about the huge premium failed lawyers can command in today's non-legal job market. I'm sure employers will be falling all over themselves to hire applicants who have spent a minimum of three years outside of the industry but who possess such valuable skills as "thinking like a lawyer."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Well, I only have to bill 8-9 hours tomorrow, I might be able to make it to Easter dinner! At least I'm using my power and black heart of coal to force two legal assistants to come in and work with me.

Go to law school.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mikeraskol posted:

Well, I only have to bill 8-9 hours tomorrow, I might be able to make it to Easter dinner! At least I'm using my power and black heart of coal to force two legal assistants to come in and work with me.

Go to law school.

Solo for life.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Solo for life.

Pfffffft I work 6 days a week

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Postin' from Tenerife, on my third vacation in the last six months

(this isn't a legal job don't go to law school)

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

BigHead posted:

I immediately thought JAG, and then I thought "lol" to the rest of his post. The armed forces is the only place I could think of that would give "substantial experience" to some kid after college.

I hope that's not what he is thinking. Even with an extremely competitive selection rate, we still somehow have a disproportionate number of socially awkward cretins. Maybe it's just the profession in general.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Pfffffft I work 6 days a week

Yeah but no one is making you and to me this makes all the difference.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

quote:

I also view employment as something that is largely in my control if i do what i need to do in law school."

#0Ls

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

You left out the best part of that thread.

OP posted:

All through University I was self employed and making over $200 000 a year doing that.

quote:

Why aren't you still doing that?!

OP posted:

The market dried up. One of those rare opportunities when skills became very lucrative in a strong market, once the market died.....

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
he was playing online poker.

Honeslty I'm just looking forward to him being unemployed in three years. "loving elitists" indeed.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I need to pick a book to put into my school's law library. It's the same thing HiddenReplaced had to do two years ago. Any ideas?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Sulecrist posted:

I need to pick a book to put into my school's law library. It's the same thing HiddenReplaced had to do two years ago. Any ideas?

Does it have to be "scholarly?" I've enjoyed this one about historical origins of legal phrases.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
It can be anything. I don't think it even needs to be related to the law, but I don't want to embarrass my parents with a Star Wars book or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Done and done.

edit: Just so we're clear, in this metaphor Purgatory is Practice, and what ever the third act is the sweet relief of death.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sulecrist posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Failing-Law-Schools-Chicago-Society/dp/0226923614

or

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lawyer-Bubble-Profession-Crisis/dp/0465058779

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

GamingHyena posted:

And others.

Nah, a different job with a different company entirely. Just farther up the food chain. Compliance related. Patent would be for MINC's in Thailand, poo poo I couldn't even practice law there if I wanted to (Thai certification and such is out of reach), I would just be consulting.

Not looking for a firm (or expecting to find one) at all. Then again I do have a few connections. By no means 'baller' but nothing terrible either.

I worked at Duke for four years at the Center For AIDS Research.

I'm also not expecting that massive of a pay difference, just substantial enough to matter.

I have no pipe dreams of being a patent attorney at any firm anytime in the near future either.

I'm also not in my 20's.

Those english degrees though, with a $150k in debt won't get you any sort of job legal or otherwise.

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 1, 2013

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I hope you're expecting a 40k pay raise just to more or less break even, because otherwise, enjoy student loans and wasting three years of your life!

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Oh wait, I don't have 200k in debt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jack Forge posted:

Oh wait, I don't have 200k in debt.

Of course not, you haven't finished law school yet.

But please tell us more about how sacrificing three years of actual earnings for law school debt, just so you can not practice law, is a wise choice.