Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I use child size shin pads. I have those sleeves that you can slip them into. Only literal babbies use the all in one shin pads with the ankle guards.

100% this. I feel weird running around with anything more against my leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

After years of being battered around playing goalie I'd wear American Football pads if they'd let me.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Shrapnac posted:

Those leagues are so much more dangerous than the organized leagues I've played in where the people on the field have actually played the game for an extended period of their lives.

Some of the former collegiate and semi-pro players around here still play very physically. I wouldn't play without ankle guards. Especially after recovering from a nasty ankle injury.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

Some of the former collegiate and semi-pro players around here still play very physically. I wouldn't play without ankle guards. Especially after recovering from a nasty ankle injury.

I still maintain you're less likely to get an anklebreaker from one of those guys then you are the 40 pound overweight soccer dad. Honestly all shinpads give you are the illusion of safety, they don't protect enough to really be of much use.

At this point I'm used to having bruises around my shins and ankles all the time, it's inevitable.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
My worst injuries have been self-inflicted, usually rolling my ankle or, once, getting the ball caught under my foot, slipping, and fracturing my wrist.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

iajanus posted:

After years of being battered around playing goalie I'd wear American Football pads if they'd let me.

You're supposed to batter the other players.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Shrapnac posted:

I still maintain you're less likely to get an anklebreaker from one of those guys then you are the 40 pound overweight soccer dad. Honestly all shinpads give you are the illusion of safety, they don't protect enough to really be of much use.

At this point I'm used to having bruises around my shins and ankles all the time, it's inevitable.

I don't know. Anecdotally, I've only run into maybe 3 players that really fit that description (excluding age) in the less competitive leagues I've played in. The more competitive ones feel like they are more physical because the players expect us to be more technical and fast. It also feels like because the level of skill is in more parity and games are closer that the physicality increases. Maybe it's a regional thing. Or maybe the more talented players where I live are just bitter that they didn't make it. I'm definitely more cautious in those leagues, though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I always thought those ankle things do nothing for joint stability they just protect from impact

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
They might provide some stability. But I definitely use them with the expectation that they're at least softening up the small impacts and lessening wear/tear on my ankles.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

please respond posted:

I always thought those ankle things do nothing for joint stability they just protect from impact

This is 100% correct. Its not any more stabilization than a thick sock. It will make your day better should a forefoot cleat come down on your ankle though. Also stops self-inflicted clear swipes. Those suck.

Also, people who don't wear shin guards are dumb motherfuckers and I absolutely love watching them writhe in pain after getting swiped by studs from a follow through. What the gently caress is the point of not wearing them? To show the world how risk-tolerant you are? I'm not ever going to try and injure someone, but you better believe I'm coming in strong as hell on your no-or-undersized shin guard wearing dumb rear end.

Take them off for the laid back shoe-goal pickup games. But in a league, where clears are involved, hurrrrrrrr

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Well, yeah. I only play 5s nowadays, so I don't have to worry about proper studs etc. Some people still wear guards for 5s and it's lame, though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Finally bought some indoor boots so I can practice ball control. I can finally pick the ball up and juggle 2 or 3 times before dropping it. I'm sure ill be able to do it more as time goes on.

Also nthing the kick a ball against a wall. Helps a lot for controlling the ball when you receive it as well.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soulex posted:

Finally bought some indoor boots so I can practice ball control. I can finally pick the ball up and juggle 2 or 3 times before dropping it. I'm sure ill be able to do it more as time goes on.

Also nthing the kick a ball against a wall. Helps a lot for controlling the ball when you receive it as well.
In truth, I don't think keepyups are a very good way to practice control. It's too specific, really. I can probably do about 200 keepyups and my actual control in matches isn't that amazing.

The wall practice is probably better, especially if it's an unpredictable wall.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
One thing I've started doing is slaloming around trees in the park and dribbling with my weaker left foot. Better than cones because of course trees are more like opponents and the roots are like their attempts to tackle.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

One thing I've started doing is slaloming around trees in the park and dribbling with my weaker left foot. Better than cones because of course trees are more like opponents and the roots are like their attempts to tackle.

I got a lot better by dribbling in lovely, uneven grass with obstacles than I ever did from keepyups. It forces you to keep one eye on the ball no matter what since it constantly takes weird bounces. The only downfall though is that it can make your touches on a breakaway too heavy since you're not as used to playing on a putting green.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

For me it's a mix of I really want to learn it, and wanting more eye-foot coordination. I don't skill as a defender but it makes me more confident on a ball.

Also playing in snow is hard.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

First game of the new outdoor season tonight. The forecast in Chicago is for a high of 24 F (that's -4 C) with gusts up to 30mph!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Chas McGill posted:

Well, yeah. I only play 5s nowadays, so I don't have to worry about proper studs etc. Some people still wear guards for 5s and it's lame, though.
I don't wear them for 5's but I did get a nasty rake down the shin from someone wearing "indoor" boots that weren't very indoor a while back. They were basically just ever so slightly shorter blades and they tore my shin to hell. I decided to wear shinpads for a little while after that just as a layer of protection and I almost instantly got called a pussy, I had no comeback because it's a fair point generally.

We lost badly too, that was a bad day :smith:

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

Redundant posted:

I don't wear them for 5's but I did get a nasty rake down the shin from someone wearing "indoor" boots that weren't very indoor a while back. They were basically just ever so slightly shorter blades and they tore my shin to hell. I decided to wear shinpads for a little while after that just as a layer of protection and I almost instantly got called a pussy, I had no comeback because it's a fair point generally.

I always bring my slip-ins to 5 on 5 pickups to have just in case it looks like there is a dingbat playing.

Just show them your scars or stop worrying about it. I like to bust out the knot on my tibia when people challenge the idea of wearing pads.

Also I had a left and a right footed assist last night, and blasted a dude in the liver when he blocked my shot. Good night.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Redundant posted:

I can still feel the dents and divots in my shins from playground/park games when I was a kid. I know it makes sense to wear pads but I've never cared for them and it's definitely just a stupid image thing. Don't let those bawbags bully you if you feel better wearing them!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Soulex posted:

Best place to do this is in a racquetball court and just ping it around to yourself for an hour while listening to some cool rear end house music

Keepy uppies or whatever are useless though

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
keep-ups are the curls of football

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Party in the UAE posted:

keep-ups are the curls of football

pretty anti-semitic imo

e: i thought someone was making a post yourself in your gear thread?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Esposito posted:

pretty anti-semitic imo

e: i thought someone was making a post yourself in your gear thread?

I am but first I need a pic of myself for the OP. We've waited 16 years for this another week won't kill us.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Redundant posted:

All the leagues round here make them mandatory and the refs stop you from playing if they spot you without. Even keepers.

I get asked to play 6 a side for this team often on a Thursday, I've never met their keeper but he is some kind of sick note because they ask me to play a lot. Anyway, every time I play for them they argue with the ref which leads him to give decisions against them out of spite which more often than not costs them the game haha.

Tonight the other teams striker knocked the ball out of of play for the corner, he walked away because it was so obvious and the ref gave a corner anyway - my team proceed to argue at the near post meanwhile leaving a guy unmarked at the back and guess who scored their equaliser...

I would care a bit more if it was my team but as it is I'm grateful for the extra games so never mind.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My ball control is great but I can't do keepyups to save my life

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

So I'm not normally one to brag, but for the first time in my life, I've just won four games in a week. Two of those were back-to-back playoff games. Three different leagues that unfortunately overlap. Feels good man.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

So after several years break I decided to play football again. Joined a club with some mates I wasn't expecting a game til after a couple training sessions, got told I had a game on Saturday late Friday afternoon. Realised I don't have any boots, went to the local sports stores. What the in the gently caress is with boots these days? They all look like clown shoes, I just wanted some plain black leather boots at a reasonable price, instead I'm greeted with a wall of boots that look more like your average kindergarten child's finger painting. Furthermore, everything is synthetic which I hate with a burning passion.

After a lot of searching I found the Adidas Copa Mundials, which are absolutely awesome. Hurt my feet for about the first 15 minutes of the game and then felt like I'd worn them for years. A lot more than I wanted to spend for plain boots even "on sale" as the copas were. Why the hell do football boots now need to look like clown shoes? And why do they all need to be synthetic and still cost as much as leather ones?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Fanelien posted:

So after several years break I decided to play football again. Joined a club with some mates I wasn't expecting a game til after a couple training sessions, got told I had a game on Saturday late Friday afternoon. Realised I don't have any boots, went to the local sports stores. What the in the gently caress is with boots these days? They all look like clown shoes, I just wanted some plain black leather boots at a reasonable price, instead I'm greeted with a wall of boots that look more like your average kindergarten child's finger painting. Furthermore, everything is synthetic which I hate with a burning passion.

After a lot of searching I found the Adidas Copa Mundials, which are absolutely awesome. Hurt my feet for about the first 15 minutes of the game and then felt like I'd worn them for years. A lot more than I wanted to spend for plain boots even "on sale" as the copas were. Why the hell do football boots now need to look like clown shoes? And why do they all need to be synthetic and still cost as much as leather ones?

because its alla bout joga bonito and how can you do that without yellow to orange fade boots on?

honestly i dont even look when i go to get new boots. i just go pick up a new pair of copas and leave

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
I have my t90s in classy white and red because I am Wayne Rooney

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Fanelien posted:

I had a similar experience looking for boots a while ago. Basically the only plainish boots being made are the Copa Mundials, Nike Tiempos, and Puma Kings.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I had a similar experience looking for boots a while ago. Basically the only plainish boots being made are the Copa Mundials, Nike Tiempos, and Puma Kings.

Mizuno makes a few plainish styles as well and the quality is far superior of Nike, Puma, Adidas, etc.

Only issue being you can't buy them in the US, would have to order sight unseen from overseas.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I wear the most garish boots I can find in the hopes that I can startle defenders and they won't know where my feet are anymore.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I loved the original Adidas Adipure turf shoes I bought about 5 years ago - real leather, fit perfectly, plain black with white stripes, lasted forever. Just replaced them this year with something called 11pro, which seem similar but with a bit more yellow on them for no good reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a total hypocrite. I did nothing but trash how ugly UVA colours are until I started playing, at which point I bought all my gear in blue and neon orange.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I used meetup.com and played 5-a-side in Brixton, and I had a whale of a time even though (or perhaps because?) I was playing alongside women like it was the most natural thing in the world. No swearing and a relaxed attitude. Me likey!

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I swear a lot when I play football, like an unusual amount. Only time I temper it is when there's someone new or someone's brought along a little bro or something.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Hallowed Turban posted:

I swear a lot when I play football, like an unusual amount. Only time I temper it is when there's someone new or someone's brought along a little bro or something.

haha, someone brought his son to thursday night pickups this past week and the kid probably learned every slang word for homosexuals and every bad word there is

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Yeah one of my mates brought his little bro along (13 year old) because we were struggling for numbers. Eerily quiet game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Hardfl1p posted:

haha, someone brought his son to thursday night pickups this past week and the kid probably learned every slang word for homosexuals and every bad word there is

If his dad plays in an all-gay league the little guy's probably familiar with colourful language.