Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
From the reveal onwards in Fight Club, Tyler wears a ridiculous feathered boa type thing, mesh undershirt, shaved head and glasses. This outfit is first in a scene when he tells The Narrator that he 'looks like he wants to look' and 'fucks like he wants to gently caress'. It's gay as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, drat, I'm mistaken. The red jacket costume was actually his default getup before that whole thing, sorry. Now that I think about it, Brad Pitt in that movie does the whole hedonist, larger-than-life power-fantasy so well that I'm guessing he could've inspired the original Dante design.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
How exactly does a kid being surrounded by naked angels imply rebelliousness?

I'll happily admit that I always thought Dante in DMC4 having chaps was kind of weird (leather pants I can live with, they're presumably more durable than jeans for fighting demons). That said, did they really feel the need to once again mock fans of the old games by calling Dante a gay cowboy? Jesus.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If Old Dante is a gay cowboy then sign me up for the Butt Rodeo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good old Ninja Theory taking the high ground with the homophobia and having their heads up their asses.
They seem to have an ability to find the best way to be as unappealing and off-putting as possible and executing it to a tee.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

wikipedia posted:

The character was designed to fit Devil May Cry game developer Hideki Kamiya's vision of a "cool and stylish" man, and his personality was based on the titular character of the manga series Cobra.

GIS for Cobra

I never found Dante stylish but he did have a unique look going on. However, the leather chaps might be a bit too flamboyant (can something flamboyant be too flamboyant?).

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What I find disappointing is that we've had two games where the main villain steals Sparda's powers, but they don't fight like Sparda at all. I liked how in DMC1 Dante gets some cool new moves for the last boss, but then the other games have ignored it altogether.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brutakas posted:

GIS for Cobra

I never found Dante stylish but he did have a unique look going on. However, the leather chaps might be a bit too flamboyant (can something flamboyant be too flamboyant?).

There's an old interview from around Okami's release with Kamiya that sort of pre-emptively addresses this whole DmC redesign philosophy thing.

1up posted:

Now I've got this mental image of you in a Japanese movie theater, with a bag of popcorn watching a sad movie, having your moment. I think if there's one thing that definitely defines your games, it's that they're all cool. Not like some Western-designed games that feel forced, that want to be extreme or cool. Like "let's put tattoos or ammo belts on the main character," or "Let's put an EA Trax Limp Bizkit-style rap-rock soundtrack on it." Your games are effortlessly cool. They're... Elvis cool. Even with Capcom's own games. Devil May Cry. Cool. Devil May Cry 2 [which Kamiya didn't work on] felt like they were trying too hard. Even with Okami, she's a wolf, but she's the coolest wolf you've ever played in a game. It feels genuinely cool. What's your idea of cool, since it finds its way into your games?

Kamiya posted:

I feel the same way, with Western games where they feel like the designers were trying too hard. I get that feeling from them, and it goes back to that whole "logical versus feeling" way of making games. If you set out trying to make a character cool, it's not going to be cool because it's not natural, because you have to put stuff like a tattoo on to make it cool. If you look at Viewtiful Joe, he's this dude in red tights and a helmet. If you look at him naturally, he's not cool. But I wasn't trying to make him cool. I was trying to make him a fun character to play with, and that's probably why he's cool.

http://www.1up.com/features/the-kamiya-touch?pager.offset=0&cId=3152880 (Quote on Page 3.)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Aurain posted:

Good old Ninja Theory taking the high ground with the homophobia and having their heads up their asses.
They seem to have an ability to find the best way to be as unappealing and off-putting as possible and executing it to a tee.

Reminds me of this article:

quote:

"Dante's not gay, but I wish he was" says Ninja Theory creative director Tameem Antoniades. "That would teach all those homophobes out there."

I wish he was gay, too. Aside from being a bigot repellent, it would have been more fitting for Ninja Theory's reimagining of the Devil May Cry series. "The theme of the story is about rebellion," Antoniades states. Everything ties into that notion from Dante's brash attitude, to the street art aesthetic, drastic character redesigns, the name of his sword, and the peculiar abbreviation that keeps that 'm' lowercase for no particular reason.

This sticking-it-to-the-man attitude is apparent from the start of Ninja Theory's presentation, wherein Dante knocks out a bouncer in order to infiltrate a nightclub run by a demon named Lilith. In the world of DmC, demons manipulate aspects of society, and she uses this club to convert members of the upper classes into demon collaborators. "Lilith is like the queen of entertainment," Antoniades notes. "She's like the Simon Cowell of limbo."

It's great going through these old previews and poo poo.

quote:

While this all seems ridiculous Antoniades insists that this new version of Devil May Cry is a more sincere approach to the series. "It's more grounded in some ways," he says. "You could say it's more serious." The individual elements are still ludicrous, but it deals with more real world themes like media and government control.

Antoniades explains that, "the satire is a rebellion of establishment. It harkens back to a post-punk period." 28 Days Later and Enslaved scribe Alex Garland is on board as a story consultant, so the narrative aspects that made the previous titles embarrassing to play around polite society should see a vast improvement. "Story is very important to us," adds Antoniades

Such memories. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alex Garland was on-board as a story consultant, and is credited in the game but I doubt he actually did anything considering how DmC turned out.

Alex Garland posted:

I think the first serious discussion we had about the narrative was on the very first day that I, Tameem and the level designers all sat down together. We got to a section where Monkey was walking down a walkway, and he sees an escaping slave trying to pull himself up to the walkway. And instead of helping the guy up, Monkey kicked him in the face and sent him to his death. They thought that projected the idea that Monkey was a badass. Whereas, to me, it projected the idea that Monkey was a bit of a oval office.
Source

I believe his consultancy went as far as him saying "Yeah, that's a story. You've got my bank details from last time right?".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Antoniades explains that, "the satire is a rebellion of establishment. It harkens back to a post-punk period." 28 Days Later and Enslaved scribe Alex Garland is on board as a story consultant, so the narrative aspects that made the previous titles embarrassing to play around polite society should see a vast improvement. "Story is very important to us," adds Antoniades

My favorite piece of pre-release wankery. :ironicat:

Listen guys, Bayonetta exists so as long as Dante doesn't grind a pole with every combo, you should be fine. You don't need to worry about filling dark souls with light any more!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Aurain posted:

Alex Garland was on-board as a story consultant, and is credited in the game but I doubt he actually did anything considering how DmC turned out.

It's the same way that Itsuno is credited as a producer, which seemed to amount to "Yeah, whatever - just do whatever, gently caress off, I'm making Dragon's Dogma".

These made me laugh:

Especially the last one.

This article is kinda weird in light of DmC bombing:

quote:

“With DmC this time, we wanted to avoid the problem that befalls some series where you keep making it with the same team, same hardware, and it tends to decrease and fans move away from it,” [Itsuno] explains. “We wanted to avoid that. We don’t want the series to die.”
“What we decided to do was to add new elements and look for a new developer,” he confirms. “Specifically a Western developer that could bring something new to the series, keep it fresh and maybe attract new fans as well.”

500-700K sales. Global.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder what a gay NT Dante would play like. Would he be openly flirting with Mundus in a "You could do so much better than 'Her' Honey" way, or would he be so deep into the closet that his Devil Trigger would be a literal explosion of "Gay Teenage Rebellion"? Because they'd have to make fun of the old fans while still being offensive some how; the latter would afford NT to still insinuate that old fans aren't open with their feelings about DMC Dante while still allowing new Dante to grow from demonically repressed to flaming and proud.

The combo meter would rise in effeminate pitch as you supposedly fought more "stylishly", his new weapons would have him dance around in sexual potions that would make Bayonetta blush - oh, and obviously Virgil needs to be super straight and bigoted towards Dante by trying to force him to date Kat. Instant mature story that reviewers would love.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Obviously 'F' would be the highest rank.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Isn't the guy on the right the 'villain' in his story? And a cry baby high school loser?

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Isn't the guy on the right the 'villain' in his story? And a cry baby high school loser?

Yeah but wouldn't you rather be that than George Clooney?

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

WeaponBoy posted:

How exactly does a kid being surrounded by naked angels imply rebelliousness?

Because angels are supposed to be pure and chaste, so naturally Dante's a bad boy who seduces them with the power of rebellion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So like... seriously, is the point they're making there "Old Dante was FLAMBOYANT AND GAY, everyone hates that" or something?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's a strange take on the whole thing. I'm gay and not afraid to say I used to have crushes on video game characters at a certain age, and I'm :allears: for the final build version of remade Dante, though almost every concept they've ever shown is unattractive. He's got that je ne sai quoi going for him, in the same way that the X-Men are supposed to be freakshows but the whole cast is so pretty.

The DmC thread was closed by the OP for being a shitfest and I don't have plat so I wasn't able to ask a mod to reopen it with a stern warning, so I just wanted to mention that anyone who cares should watch this 20 minute spoiler-filled discussion. It's got Adam Sessler, whose review was thumbs-upped by a lot of the game's critics; and Brad Shoemaker, whose five-star review was slightly controversial; and a guy I'm not sure I've ever seen before.

It's an interesting dissection, though they don't go to the extent of diving into developer Twitter account fracases or choice quotes about Shakespeare or gay cowboys. I mean, that nonsense I feel like it detracts from the issue of whether a game is good or not because there's lots of people who buy games without having watched a single developer diary or interview.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that video roundtable is pretty neat.

I actually really want to replay DmC on a higher difficulty, but people are kind of right about the coloured enemies ... I wish the mechanic was that the themed weapon was more effective, rather than exclusively effective.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

So like... seriously, is the point they're making there "Old Dante was FLAMBOYANT AND GAY, everyone hates that" or something?

At least they picked the most hardcore images to compare the new Dante too!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Those picture comparisons are hilarious and a little sad. The "is not" pictures are over the top, flamboyant and colorful. The first "is" picture is pretty much the definition of boring posers, the second is B&W because it's "cool", and the third is, like Zen put it "the 'villain' in his story? And a cry baby high school loser?".

Which if these descriptions make you thing of Dante and his character?

I've defended NT in the past, but them justifying their design decisions months after the disastrous release with casual homophobia has made sure I'm never buying anything they make again. That is, if anyone ever hires them again after all this.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

well why not posted:

I actually really want to replay DmC on a higher difficulty, but people are kind of right about the coloured enemies ... I wish the mechanic was that the themed weapon was more effective, rather than exclusively effective.

The biggest problem isn't really the colored enemies, but that the enemies themselves never really get more interesting. They're not aggressive enough and Devil Trigger is kind of a nonentity because it's so easy to parry enemies out of it.

SoS and DMD both have one extremely good fight, which is against two Dreamrunners (and a Witch in DMD) when you first enter Mundus' tower. It's a wide open arena with no bullshit against two fast enemies who are reasonably aggressive. If every fight was like that I'd have a much better opinion of DmC.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I wonder what a gay NT Dante would play like. Would he be openly flirting with Mundus in a "You could do so much better than 'Her' Honey" way, or would he be so deep into the closet that his Devil Trigger would be a literal explosion of "Gay Teenage Rebellion"? Because they'd have to make fun of the old fans while still being offensive some how; the latter would afford NT to still insinuate that old fans aren't open with their feelings about DMC Dante while still allowing new Dante to grow from demonically repressed to flaming and proud.

The combo meter would rise in effeminate pitch as you supposedly fought more "stylishly", his new weapons would have him dance around in sexual potions that would make Bayonetta blush - oh, and obviously Virgil needs to be super straight and bigoted towards Dante by trying to force him to date Kat. Instant mature story that reviewers would love.

I think it'd probably be the most homophobic game one could imagine, though it'd likely be presented in the guise of being progressive despite sticking to most tired clichés and stereotypes about homosexual people in the book.

As far as the comparison photos go, the thoughts running through my mind almost exclusively are:
Left: Ridiculous, not necessarily appealing to the eye, but funny to look at.
Right: Boring. More rooted in real day to day life.

Only one of those archetypes is an entertaining premise for a Devil May Cry game.
Even DMC2 had a great design for Dante.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

I've played a lot of DmC, since it's on the PC and I can boot it right up it's very convenient. Playing on the harder difficulty is really a chore, because they throw in barrelfulls of their "elite" enemies, all of which are basically a combat puzzle. The combat system in DmC is pretty good, but the combat design is constantly forcing you to rely on formula and very specific tactics, which takes all of the fun out of the free flowing varied combat engine.

Also, does anybody else ever get that bug where the auto targeting system just fails utterly? If I start shooting the demonic shards as soon as they spawn in (before they start glowing) then Dante will never be able to hit them, even if I'm standing next to them and unloading point blank with the shotgun. Same thing happens with Vergil's summoned swords. If you keep shooting the game wont switch targets when a new one spawns in, and you'll get hit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Man, I would play the hell out of a game where you played as a half-demon half-angel glam rocker. Or any kind of glam rocker, really.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BBJoey posted:

Man, I would play the hell out of a game where you played as a half-demon half-angel glam rocker. Or any kind of glam rocker, really.

You can pretty much do that in DMC3!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

Also, does anybody else ever get that bug where the auto targeting system just fails utterly? If I start shooting the demonic shards as soon as they spawn in (before they start glowing) then Dante will never be able to hit them, even if I'm standing next to them and unloading point blank with the shotgun. Same thing happens with Vergil's summoned swords. If you keep shooting the game wont switch targets when a new one spawns in, and you'll get hit.

Yeah, that happened to me a few times. One of the weirdest bugs I came across, was during the upside down area, where the after cutscene played, Dante just fell through the floor. The bugs were probably the most fun I had with the game.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 1, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pesky Splinter posted:

These made me laugh:

500-700K sales. Global.

This one made me laugh because when they came out I already thought of DMC3 and 4 as X-Japan: The Video Game. Even DMC 1 Dante was assumed to be at least partially inspired by Malice Mizer and these other Japanese groups like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKw_HO8ZKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHbHxSEtVQ&#t=1m4s

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
So did they miss the part in dmc3 where Dante gets a bat guitar and literally becomes the "is not" image?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Considering that new Dante plays like considerably like Nero and made all the mistakes DMC2 made in regards to Dante's characterisation, I'd edge my bets on on Ninja Theory having only played the second and fourth of the series. The second to say "We can do better than this" and the fourth because "It's the latest so it's the best, right?"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Spinning Robo posted:

So did they miss the part in dmc3 where Dante gets a bat guitar and literally becomes the "is not" image?

No they didn't, they're explaining what 'new Dante' is by pointing out how he's not the 'old Dante'.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Crossposting from the Weirdest Fan Art thread:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Geez, Dante, need to lay off the pizza and milkshakes...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Crossposting from the Weirdest Fan Art thread:

Now that is how they should have rebooted Dante if they wanted him to be more western.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Someone should photoshop that onto the first slot of the "Dante is not/Dante is" pics and have the second slot be the crackwhore concept NT had.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Oh man someone seriously needs to slap Ninja Theory around the head, freaking asshats.

One of things I don't understand about the "Old Dante would get laughed out of a club" meme they're trying to push is what makes them think Dante would take that poo poo? Let's say people laugh at his outfit, what would he do? He'd sit down, order a drat drink and if anyone attacked him he'd kick their rear end and flirt with 5 women at the same time, whilst having his drink.

New Dante would just get thrown out or barred from entering the drat place. And mope on the street corner with some cheap beer, because he's 'rebellious' and poo poo, and then Dante walks out with 5 women and gives New Dante some loose change.

Temascos fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 1, 2013

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Temascos posted:

Oh man someone seriously needs to slap Ninja Theory around the head, freaking asshats.

One of things I don't understand about the "Old Dante would get laughed out of a club" meme they're trying to push is what makes them think Dante would take that poo poo? Let's say people laugh at his outfit, what would he do? He'd sit down, order a drat drink and if anyone attacked him he'd kick their rear end and flirt with 5 women at the same time, whilst having his drink.

Donte would just get thrown out or barred from entering the drat place. And mope on the street corner with some cheap beer, because he's 'rebellious' and poo poo, and then Dante walks out with 5 women and gives Donte some loose change.

One of the few things that wasn't poo poo about the DmC thread was that everyone was pretty much in agreement against calling him Donte. Could we at least keep that here too? We don't really have to stoop down to that level.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

^Yeah, fair enough. I'll change that.^

Back on subject, after I get through Bioshock Infinite I'm strongly thinking about grabbing the HD Collection, this is more of a Euro specific question but is Turbo Mode in DMC3? I remember they removed it in the Special Edition release in the UK for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

One of the few things that wasn't poo poo about the DmC thread was that everyone was pretty much in agreement against calling him Donte. Could we at least keep that here too? We don't really have to stoop down to that level.

I second that, it's a really juvenile way to handle names

Temascos posted:

^Yeah, fair enough. I'll change that.^

Back on subject, after I get through Bioshock Infinite I'm strongly thinking about grabbing the HD Collection, this is more of a Euro specific question but is Turbo Mode in DMC3? I remember they removed it in the Special Edition release in the UK for some reason.

GameFAQs forum says it does, so... maybe.

• Locked thread