Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Barroths head actually takes very little impact damage. Be wary of where you hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I tend to hit them in the legs so that's not the issue.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Karanas posted:

Man there must be some trick to the hammer that I'm not getting. I know about the charge move activated with R, but even with that it takes soooo much longer to kill monsters like Barroth in HR compared to my dual blades like bloodwing and firestorm. They both have attack power 196 while I also use the breathcore hammer with an attack power of 782. I'm much more familliar with the dual blades so maybe that's just it, but is there a technique with the hammer that I'm missing?

Superpound by default, triple pound when the monster is stunned or just tired out and you have time to get it off, dash charge (don't charge up all the way before releasing) when there are only small openings/to quickly close distance.

I also like to drop a load of bombs on a monster sometimes when I stun it. Kayamba is the greatest as he will drop one his own bombs next to mine when I do this. There is not a hand in the world big enough to give that little guy the high-five he deserves.

e: Also, yah Barroth and a few others have armored heads so your damage won't be as great attacking the head, although it will break off Barroth's ridge. I believe the weakest area on Barroth for hammers is his tiny front legs.

Machai fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 30, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wozbo posted:

Barroths head actually takes very little impact damage. Be wary of where you hit.

Oddly enough you can slice off their scalp with a hammer. Just found this out on an HR barroth.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Karanas posted:

I tend to hit them in the legs so that's not the issue.

Still pretty bad. Hitting him in his stubby arms does 66(!)% more damage with hammer.

E: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Barroth#Analysis

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 30, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
How can I consistently be the only person out of four to bring a trap? Do people just not bother to try it in lower rank multiplayer?

Also do you get bones if you capture?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, these Dios Dual Swords gently caress things up, don't they? Mauled the hell out of a Gobul, did the two Lagombi quest super fast... actually fainted to Great Baggi because his minions kept sleep-shotting me. Well, that and I'm still getting used to the animation sequences, so I ended up getting into attacks and then not being able to escape.

May go back to LR to adjust and practice. Can I upgrade to the next level of these before hitting G-Rank? Seems like most of my Hammers are at the point where I need at least one part that only drops from G-Rank monsters.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Carecat posted:

How can I consistently be the only person out of four to bring a trap? Do people just not bother to try it in lower rank multiplayer?

Also do you get bones if you capture?

You tend to get more materials in general if you capture, although a very small amount of things are only from carves. Unnerving Talons from Gigginox come to mind, although I'm not sure that carried over into 3U.

You're the only person to bring traps because 95% of the Monster Hunter player base has this weird aversion to capping things.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The only reason not to cap is if you're looking for low-end carves like scales.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
loving gently caress bullfangos god dammit, you fuckers have given harder PTSD than Plesioth.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pomp posted:

loving gently caress bullfangos god dammit, you fuckers have given harder PTSD than Plesioth.

I'm so sad Bulldrome isn't in 3U. The chargiest, stupidest excuse for a boss monster ever. Bullfangos aren't the same if their boss can't come along and do the exact same thing, but bigger.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

So I'm jazzed to try out hunting horn, but I'm not sure which one to craft. I'm up to 6* village quests, so I've got some high rank materials available. The range of both damage and elemental stats AND which songs it can play are overloading my brain. Right now I'm thinking of making the gigginox coffin cause it has heal and antidote and also looks boss.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So I'm jazzed to try out hunting horn, but I'm not sure which one to craft. I'm up to 6* village quests, so I've got some high rank materials available. The range of both damage and elemental stats AND which songs it can play are overloading my brain. Right now I'm thinking of making the gigginox coffin cause it has heal and antidote and also looks boss.

And it's great for helping your dual swords and shield-carrying buddies have unlimited stamina. :black101:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just remember that the healing song has diminishing returns. I'd keep a Health Horn around, simply because those give consistent healing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I'm so sad Bulldrome isn't in 3U. The chargiest, stupidest excuse for a boss monster ever. Bullfangos aren't the same if their boss can't come along and do the exact same thing, but bigger.

Shame they didn't do stupid things like this for an event quest or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Get the ice kazoo. It's a kazoo!

Also, I'd just like to point out that you can get gloves with the "gloves off" skill.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Bussamove posted:

Well I hate him.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Boco_T posted:

I reviewed the guide and HR Flooded Forest was what I saw had the best chances. Make sure you're searching in 2, 4, 7, and 10. The guide says there's a hidden spot in area 6 with a 32% drop rate but I don't understand what a hidden bug spot is and I couldn't find it.

I think it's like that cat lair in Moga Woods. It's too bad that the Flooded Forest is my best bet. I just have to hope I don't have to farm up >12 of the drat things again like I did for the Wroggi S set.

I'm going to, aren't I?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It is incredibly annoying that there are no supplies and random placement in HR. What is the point? Just to be a huge inconvenience?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I'm in a bit of a bind. I want to get this game on 3DS, but I've heard it's unplayable without a Circlepad Pro. If that's the case, I was going to plan on just getting Fire Emblem: Awakening.

So just how bad are the controls of MH3U, without the Circlepad Pro?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is incredibly annoying that there are no supplies and random placement in HR. What is the point? Just to be a huge inconvenience?

It forces you to be better at the game by coming in prepared.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh my loving god Qurupeco can gently caress right the gently caress off. Oh, you're using Dual Swords and didn't bring a shitton of nullberries? Hope you like wasting a half hour bouncing off the loving thing and dying to fire DoTs! :argh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

General Morden posted:

I'm in a bit of a bind. I want to get this game on 3DS, but I've heard it's unplayable without a Circlepad Pro. If that's the case, I was going to plan on just getting Fire Emblem: Awakening.

So just how bad are the controls of MH3U, without the Circlepad Pro?

It's not "unplayable" without the Circle Pad Pro. Hell, I've killed Lagiacrus and Gobul underwater with a slow rear end Longsword so far without it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Volt Catfish posted:

It's not "unplayable" without the Circle Pad Pro. Hell, I've killed Lagiacrus and Gobul underwater with a slow rear end Longsword so far without it.

The default camera is pretty terrible.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

The only horn worth getting is the Agnakdion. It is the worst fire horn if your goal is deal damage, but it is the best if your goal is be :krad:, which should be everyone's goal.

Serious: I made a spreadsheet (:pseudo:) for the different top rank horns, categorized them by element, found a damage standardization chart, and the horns you'll probably want to work towards are:
Lagi for thunder. Crazy white sharpness length, great songs, the highest standardized dps. This is the best serious horn. Cons: Lacks style
Zinogre for dragon (It switches in late G-Rank). Okay songs, purple sharpness, the stronger of two dragon horns. Has serious style.
Uragaan for fire. The Uragaan horn has great songs, including negate stamina, and it's sharpness is manageable.
Barioth for ice. Sharpness is low, but it has Attack Up Large, and Hearing Protection. Best songs. Best friends.

The Brachy horn is okay if you like slime. It is your only choice.
The Nibelsnarf horn is not that great. It is the only water horn. I won't be getting it.

I didn't look at status, but giggi is the only poison horn, so it's probably okay? And baleful giggi's horn has good songs, so not a bad path to follow.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I am still not sure why or how the nibelsnarf is related to water at all. It spits sand. It swims in sand. It breathes sand. Explain this to me please.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh my loving god Qurupeco can gently caress right the gently caress off. Oh, you're using Dual Swords and didn't bring a shitton of nullberries? Hope you like wasting a half hour bouncing off the loving thing and dying to fire DoTs! :argh:

Fireblight works under the same constraints that fire does in real life, so stop, drop, and roll about three times :ssh:

Colapops posted:

I am still not sure why or how the nibelsnarf is related to water at all. It spits sand. It swims in sand. It breathes sand. Explain this to me please.

It's probably just shorthand for inhaling a bunch of sand and just going into a coughing fit or having trouble breathing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serenity Dove posted:

If I were to want to dabble in bowgunning what would be a good armour set to start with?

land doga and barroth sets are okay for starting off as a gunner. Except for very specific guns I am enjoying bows more. I find them easier to do constant damage with and its easy to always have the right element for the job at lower levels without having to carry bullets. I am only hr3 so i cant really speak for guns late game.

Calaveron posted:

Fireblight works under the same constraints that fire does in real life, so stop, drop, and roll about three times :ssh:

or just one time in water.
Im so jealous of you non lance users who can actually roll. I have to put my weapon away first :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Oh goddammit.

Is it better to use slashing or impact weapons on Qurupeco? Because I was bouncing a lot with DS, and I don't know if that was because it was too touch, or because my weapon wasn't powerful enough (Chief's Scythes).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh goddammit.

Is it better to use slashing or impact weapons on Qurupeco? Because I was bouncing a lot with DS, and I don't know if that was because it was too touch, or because my weapon wasn't powerful enough (Chief's Scythes).

I killed quru a few days ago with Chief's Scythes. The key is to make sure that you're dodging as much as possible and keep your demon bar full. You really have to get under him to fully damage him so go in from his backside and hit him as hard and fast as you can. Also ignore any summons of his and just focus him down.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You mean...I'm at the point where I can't just get in something's face and mash the X button anymore? :ohdear:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
What the hell am I supposed to do to kill gobul? I just ran out of time on him, and I can't upgrade my hunting horn anymore until the next zone.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh goddammit.

To get past the bouncing you've got a few tricks. There's a song on hunting Horns that stops bouncing (white white twice), sword mode on the switch axe, super pounds on the hammer, the crazy AX attack in demon mode for duals, The sword and shield bounces way less, long sword spirit combo, Barrel Bombs and the ranged weapons. I think having green sharpness on a weapon should let it not bounce.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah green sharpness at that point is the deal breaker I think, you'll still bounce on his Flints because that's what they do.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do to kill gobul? I just ran out of time on him, and I can't upgrade my hunting horn anymore until the next zone.

On the title screen, press up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, fight Gobul a bunch of times and eventually get better at the fight because that's how Monster Hunter goes.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Have you tried fishing him out? He's significantly more vulnerable on land.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

It forces you to be better at the game by coming in prepared.

That's not being better at the game. That's just forcing me to remember to buy all sorts of misc poo poo like hot/cold potions and traps. It's annoying, especially since the first 30~50 or so hours of the game are nothing like this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's not being better at the game. That's just forcing me to remember to buy all sorts of misc poo poo like hot/cold potions and traps. It's annoying, especially since the first 30~50 or so hours of the game are nothing like this.

You should at least have a bit of a stockpile of hot drinks/paintballs/ammo/etc. built up from the supply chests. Also, if you don't wanna make drinks you can combine hot peppers or ice crystals with Well-Done Steak. Then next time you're hunting online, you can tell everyone to take some of your Hot Meat! :haw:

I'm sorry

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 31, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

You should at least have a bit of a stockpile of hot drinks/paintballs/ammo/etc. built up from the supply chests.

It's not buying the stuff that's the problem, it's just that I have to take that extra step to dig through my chest and get paintballs, potions, etc. It's like mega potions not being on sale, it's just forcing me keep generating honey and keep tabs on my farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not buying the stuff that's the problem, it's just that I have to take that extra step to dig through my chest and get paintballs, potions, etc. It's like mega potions not being on sale, it's just forcing me keep generating honey and keep tabs on my farms.

I don't think you "get" Monster Hunter. This is the essence of the game. It's not hard to make your supplies, you should have been upgrading and using your farm this entire time.

• Locked thread