Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
That was some nutty damage. I wonder what a minimalist run of this would be like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

thevoiceofdog posted:

Wake up, Mike Jones. Wake up, and smell the ashes.

Oh my...

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Dectilon posted:

That was some nutty damage. I wonder what a minimalist run of this would be like...

Check out a speedrun of it. Your heart count is fixed for the start of each chapter, so they skip getting the extra heart containers.

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe

Choco1980 posted:

Has anyone here besides myself played the DS version of n+? I can't say I'm that good at it, but it seems like a mostly faithful representation of the game. The only real complaint is the small screen, which you learn to deal with. Other than that, everything from the physics to the geometry seem pretty spot on.

I got a copy for free because I designed one of the levels in the DS version. I thought the physics were a bit off, especially on the bouncy blocks. I know this because the level I made was entirely based around them :smith:

I can't remember what chapter/level it is, but it should say which one I did in the manual. I'm one of the few people that didn't use an internet name, with the initials GD. I'd look it up myself but I don't have the game with me right now.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
And don't forget, direct contact with any of those bosses is a one-hit kill. This makes fighting them with the Yo-yo functionally impossible, and using the Shooting Star is pretty risky. I think the first segment of the chapter is the hardest part of the game because you don't have the Supernova yet, so you have to use the subweapons - hope you found those secret rooms where the walls aren't even cracked and they take three hits to open! The good news is that there are several viable routes, as you might have guessed from the way thevoiceofdog didn't end up using half of the teleporters. I always go right from the first vitamin and jump in the teleporter there.

And once you have the Supernova, you learn just how much perfection the game demands. Lose a life? Three hearts. If you pick up two four-heart powerups, you can use a proper weapon - if you don't get hit by anything at all. As much as people tend to look down on Startropics 2, at least they did something to make low health a bit less of an issue.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I'm actually really glad I died where I did in retrospect, just to show off how the game treats people who can't beat each level in one life. The final level isn't as bad as 7-1 in my opinion, but holy poo poo does it have some incredible dick moves.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I started playing Maldita Castilla thanks to this thread and managed to get good enough to get all the way to the witch without continuing and then could not loving beat her and blew through 3 continues :negative:

I know how to beat her and have done it before but I just choked. Oh well, not guarantee I would have made it through the last level without continuing a bunch

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Levitate posted:

I started playing Maldita Castilla thanks to this thread and managed to get good enough to get all the way to the witch without continuing and then could not loving beat her and blew through 3 continues :negative:

This is basically me only my roadblock is the devil-filled ship on level 6. I'm never going to see the best ending.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thevoiceofdog posted:

Wake up, Mike Jones. Wake up, and smell the ashes.

This is the part of the game where it goes from Nintendo Hard With Dick Moves to actually actively hating the player. I can't believe I ever got through this poo poo as a kid without savestates, must have had the patience of a saint.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

The true Mario starts now!

:siren: World 4 :siren:

With special guests Catsworth, Iron Chitlin and The Great Guy.

This is where the game becomes a real challenge, with the introduction of the Red Piranha Plants and of course, Lakitu. Going fast still seems to be working well for me, although I don't know how long that will last for.

Also the recording for 4-2 failed, so I had to do it again, which explains why Mario is small as he starts that level.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Ciaphas posted:

This is the part of the game where it goes from Nintendo Hard With Dick Moves to actually actively hating the player. I can't believe I ever got through this poo poo as a kid without savestates, must have had the patience of a saint.

I've never beaten the last chapter in either StarTropics. It's just too much :shepicide:

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

(Video link is the image. And man does the age of arcade hardware show in still frames.)

Durrr I had this sitting on my hard drive for a while, but somehow it just slipped my mind.

Contrary to my earlier belief, stage 4 actually isn't too bad once you've figured out several sections. During recording, the only section that really gave me difficulty was the print cartridge bit, and then I got this wonderful take. So I only needed to go through the stage like four times after warm up to get something presentable. Unfortunately that means no death reel since I don't have enough footage for that.

With regards to stage 5... I'm working on it. On average, I get to the boss with 4 lives lost from 5, and I need 2 at a minimum to beat the final boss, with 3 being good and 4 being really hopeful. Although I think that the fact that I can't do the stage with only 1 life like the previous ones should be indicative of how crazy it is.

--------

Nidoking posted:

I can do this. It's just going to take a while. And possibly convincing Tsym to take over the controls for this part, or eating his brain to gain his skills at dodging bullets.
You can do it! I believe in you! Also having me take over the controls probably won't help much. The only reason I'm anywhere decent in the shmups I play is because I've committed a large portion of it to muscle memory. When I first started DoDonPachi like 3 months ago, I could only really make it to stage 3 of the first loop before game overing. Plus horizontal shooters aren't really my thing. I just started playing Hydorah the other day after checking out Dectilon's LP of it, and yeah I am not having the easiest of times on it.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

We've found the Lost Levels!

:siren: World 5 :siren:

This world introduces us to a new mechanic: Strong wind. While in this world it was helpful, in the next few worlds you'll definitely be cursing it's very existence. The amount of precision platforming has increased by a large amount at this point, and will continue to increase as we get further into the game. Going fast still seems to be working here, which honestly has surprised me, although I doubt I'll be able to keep it up for much longer.

One thing I do forget to mention is that 5-2 has 2 warp zones instead of the usual 1. The one of these leads to World 7 while the other leads to World 8.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

Nagna Zul posted:

Okay, I know romhacks are passé and overdone. Still, several years ago, I made a stupidly hard romhack, and I've always wanted to watch someone play through it blind, falling for all the traps and cursing over and over.

If you're not sick to death of Super Mario World romhacks, you can download it here:

Super Mario Tabarnak: http://www.nagnazul.com/smt12.zip

If anyone takes this up and LPs this game blind, I will be a happy man.

I posted this a couple months ago; the challenge is still open. I would really like to see someone LP this hack blind.

Super Mario Tabarnak: http://www.nagnazul.com/smt12.zip

If you play this and record the result for the amusement of the internet, you will have my thanks (and apologies)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I suppose we've all waited long enough, and it's conclusive that there's enough failure to make an entire video of just my attempts to beat the final boss, so here's the first half of Eryi's Action EX: Everything but the final boss. I highlight most of the differences between Normal and EX difficulties in this video (there were a few I didn't find until later, and undoubtedly more yet to be found), plus begin the practice of chronicling the most embarrassing things I manage to do while playing this game. Someone take my controller away, because I shouldn't be allowed to hold it.

Eryi's Action EX: Blip Youtube

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
Someone earlier mentioned Tower of Druaga. I've got this one for my Nintendo DS (It's on the Namco Classics cartridge). Even with the tips from gamefaqs, I can usually only get to level 5 before dying. And there are 50 levels! And some hidden treasures you have to get to complete the game. This game is insanely hard!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
STG Boss might stand for Stage Boss?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nah, STG stands for Shooting Game, I think that's how Japanese nerds refer to shmups or something.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Eryi's Action EX: Blip Youtube

I find it interesting, watching the fight with Farta (or however that's spelled) while also watching the Touhou thread. I get easily intimidated by Bullet Hell games, but watching the Touhou videos has me seeing potential strategies for Farta. It seems like it should be possible to move forward, in between the two blue bullets before they spread, and dodge from there, but maybe I'm wrong.

DefenderDT
Jul 2, 2010

What do you mean I'm not popular?
STG is how a lot of people in Japan refer to SHMUPS (Be they side-scrolling or vertical) And yes, that means a lot of J-Nerds refer to them as such.

I remember this because they self-label themselves as STG in a few Touhou games.

Though I wonder if they refer to games like Contra as STG or not, because we, in the west (or at least as far as I've seen on some sites) call them SHMUPS.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

When is that good ending for Malita Castle going to be up? I'm interested in watching somebody who's really good at the game just break it over his knee.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DefenderDT posted:

Though I wonder if they refer to games like Contra as STG or not, because we, in the west (or at least as far as I've seen on some sites) call them SHMUPS.

Here's how I tend to break things down:

* Shmup
-* Scrolling shooter (c.f. 1944, R-Type)
-* Run'n'gun (Contra)
-* Bullet hell (Touhou, Dodonpachi)

"Shmup" itself is so vague as to be useless in terms of actually pinning down what you're talking about. And it only gets worse with the people who refer to FPSen as "shooters". Bottom line is that the use of projectile weapons in videogames is not exactly a new phenomenon! Remember Spacewar?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Here's how I tend to break things down:

* Shmup
-* Scrolling shooter (c.f. 1944, R-Type)
-* Run'n'gun (Contra)
-* Bullet hell (Touhou, Dodonpachi)

Wouldn't Bullet Hell be a subest of scrolling shooter, based on the density of obstacles and difficulty of survival?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wouldn't Bullet Hell be a subest of scrolling shooter, based on the density of obstacles and difficulty of survival?

Danmaku, or Bullet Hell shooters are essentially a subset of a scrolling shooter game. They run on the exact same principle, the only difference is that Bullet Hell cranks everything up to 11, throwing seemingly impossible to maneuver walls of bullets, and demanding a higher level of precision from the player, requiring a good eye and a steady hand to make it through.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Bullet hells tend to, as far as I can tell, strip away everything except the bullets. No stage gimmicks, no terrain to run into, just more and more complex bullet patterns.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Agent355 posted:

When is that good ending for Malita Castle going to be up? I'm interested in watching somebody who's really good at the game just break it over his knee.

If you don't mind only watching at a sixth of the size, you can always check the race thread.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
I was going to make a video of Wizards and Warriors. Then I remembered this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47u-GSFAiEI

If anyone can beat this game without continuing once. I salute you. It is the demon souls of the 80's.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

azren posted:

I find it interesting, watching the fight with Farta (or however that's spelled) while also watching the Touhou thread. I get easily intimidated by Bullet Hell games, but watching the Touhou videos has me seeing potential strategies for Farta. It seems like it should be possible to move forward, in between the two blue bullets before they spread, and dodge from there, but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe you can do that, but Farta's right there, and once the blue balls are offscreen, she starts shooting the pink ones. In a few of my more recent attempts, the wave of pink fireballs left me pinned against the side of the screen with no escape because I couldn't get back to the left side quickly enough. Besides, I'm terrible at dodging bullets from all directions at once. The final video will capture the strategy that's worked for me most of the time, once I stopped trying to find a new one each time I played. And I caught a few seconds of a Youtube video with a trick that I don't think I'll be able to use, but it should still help me get over the last hurdle. I'll try to get this done quickly, because I have another LP I want to start and at least one game ripe for a Let's Try and Fail, and I don't want to do either until I'm done with Eryi.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dectilon posted:

Bullet hells tend to, as far as I can tell, strip away everything except the bullets. No stage gimmicks, no terrain to run into, just more and more complex bullet patterns.

Some games will have stage hazards (Dodonpachi Dai-Fukkatsu has giant indestructible rings of laser cannons, for example) but by and large, death will come at the hands of glowy bullets and enemies exist solely to deliver said bullets and make your score skyrocket. Considering how many games require you to inhabit the upper third of the screen if you want a decent score, running into an enemy is nigh impossible if you're holding the fire button down, unlike, say, R-Type or Gradius.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

orangesampson posted:

I was going to make a video of Wizards and Warriors. Then I remembered this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47u-GSFAiEI

If anyone can beat this game without continuing once. I salute you. It is the demon souls of the 80's.

Wizards & Warriors II: Ironsword is considerably more dickish. At least in W&W1 you have unlimited continues; Ironsword does away with that, giving you three lives and three continues (for a total of nine lives). Beating Ironsword without using a continue, or even dying, would be a much bigger accomplishment IMO.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm pretty sure Wizards and Warriors 3 didn't give you *any* continues.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

Slimnoid posted:

Wizards & Warriors II: Ironsword is considerably more dickish. At least in W&W1 you have unlimited continues; Ironsword does away with that, giving you three lives and three continues (for a total of nine lives). Beating Ironsword without using a continue, or even dying, would be a much bigger accomplishment IMO.

You can't beat Ironsword without dying. Period. It's also a password based game, but the password keeps track of the number of lives you have left, so it's pretty easy to screw yourself over that way. And if you can make it all the way to Icefire mountain? No more continues, you get one shot.

In WW3, to be honest, you really could only die in a few select spots, most notably the trials and the end boss. The rest of the game you can pretty much breeze through without a real care. It's more tedious than tough.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
I've had a bunch of Tintin videos ready for a while and I guess I forgot to upload and post them.

Part 2

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

The lost levels!

Hey guys, just saying that I'm here watching your videos and am enjoying them greatly. I hope you guys stick with it to the final castle!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Okay, guys... there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that I quit. I've had all the Eryi's Action I can take - it turned out to be a much more difficult task than I expected when I started, and I've devoted hours of playtime and dozens of gigabytes of raw video footage to attempting to vault the final hurdle. After two months of trying, I finally gave in to the temptation to watch a Youtube video of someone beating the final boss, just to see what I was doing wrong and possibly even something I could do right. There's a trick to it, all right... and I couldn't pull it off. After failing that, I just can't bring myself to play this game anymore. I'm sorry if you're one of the few who didn't want it to come to that. The good news is that I did manage to find the motivation to compile the footage of my remaining attempts into a video that I hope will still prove entertaining enough to be worth watching. It's got plenty of hilarious failure, as you'd expect from me, and even some tips to help you in case you want to beat the game yourself and see the ending. I doubt it will be worth the effort, but I stopped the Youtube video before the credits rolled. It's too demoralizing. So here's the last Eryi's Action video you'll see from me, and I hope I managed to put on a good show and at least mostly keep up the spirit of the thread. Thanks for hosting the thread, Dectilon; thanks for putting Eryi in the banner, Phiggle; and thanks cKnoor for the Let's Try and Fail thread that inspired it all to begin with. I just wish it hadn't come to such a disappointing end.

Eryi's Action EX: The Final Boss Blip Youtube

IGotMine
Feb 12, 2009

Nidoking posted:

Thanks for hosting the thread, Dectilon; thanks for putting Eryi in the banner, Phiggle; and thanks cKnoor for the Let's Try and Fail thread that inspired it all to begin with. I just wish it hadn't come to such a disappointing end.

Goodnight, sweet prince. :911:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Nidoking posted:

I just wish it hadn't come to such a disappointing end.

You and me both, brother. :( Thanks for all the hard work. That game is a very interesting piece of work I'd never had heard of otherwise.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I really enjoyed the Eryi's Action videos and I appreciate all the work you put into them Nidoking. I remembered seeing supergreatfriend check out Eryi's demo a while back, so I knew it was kind of an IWBTG-style troll-the-player game that so often leads to horrible LPs and so I scoffed when I saw it was being done for this thread. Then I saw it was Nidoking doing it and, having loved the Toonstruck LP, thought I'd give it at least a fair shot and really loved it. Good job winning me over and good job finishing that bullshit game!

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

It was a valiant effort, Nidoking, sir, and you are to be saluted and honoured for what you DID manage to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laugh and grow fat
Jan 20, 2007

Nidoking posted:

I just wish it hadn't come to such a disappointing end.

An effort to end all efforts. Thank you for this. Shine on, brother, shine on. :patriot:

• Locked thread