Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Water 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm voting for one water and one air spheres, we're really going to need the flying spell on the water-heavy maps, and the heal spell that comes from the first tier water sphere is worth it.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
WaterČ

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Vote 2 times against Water. If I have to vote FOR something, go 2 Fire.

Yes, I'm consciously voting against healing to preserve some challenge in this game.

Also, are you going to show the other campaign path (the Keepers)?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 31, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
ALL AIR

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
One Water and Air each . I'm really glad to see this LP...I couldn't play Age of Wonders back in the day because of reasons, so I'm glad to see it done with some spiced up narrative!

On a side note, how is the Age of Wonders 2 campaign? Is it much different from from AoW and Shadow Magic?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pierzak posted:

Vote 2 times against Water. If I have to vote FOR something, go 2 Fire.

Yes, I'm consciously voting against healing to preserve some challenge in this game.

Also, are you going to show the other campaign path (the Keepers)?

I plan on it. I'd like to eventually get through all three games before AoW III comes out.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Two Air

Air is the bestest magic always.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Water x2

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Let's go full Air

I always dipped air because Chain Lighting is great for crowd control, but I never did finish the game where I was going to go all air. Wanna see how that plays out.

P.S., You should make a save here so you can go and do a 'what if we'd done ORCS!' run without having to beat up halflings again.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

One Water, One Air, One Love

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Water, let's synergise with our Lizard buddies.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Water x2

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
One water, One Air. I'm enjoying this LP so far, keep up the good work.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Two death.

There's a level 3 death spell that I cheesed map after map with.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Two death.

There's a level 3 death spell that I cheesed map after map with.

Yes! Death, DEATH!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Death Death Death!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Current voting status:

Death: 3
2x Death: 3
1x Water: 8
2x Water: 4
1x Air: 7
2x Air: 3
1x Fire: 1
2x Fire: 1

So we're currently looking at Water/Air as the combo. A few hours left before I play out the map.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Going with Maxing Air First then getting as much water as you can as well.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Voting is now closed. The final result is Air, Water.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Okay... I just won this mission in 12 turns. Do you guys want to see this, or would you rather me play it out in a more difficult manner?

For bonus points, guess which one unit I lost the entire mission:

Gorthak
Orc Warlord
Goblin Wolf Rider (Either)
Goblin Shaman
Lizard Archer
Lizard Swordsman

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to remember, because its been forever since I played, but in the finale Halfling mission don't you still end up fighting the frostings? Also play the mission on a higher difficulty.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 31, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

Okay... I just won this mission in 12 turns. Do you guys want to see this, or would you rather me play it out in a more difficult manner?

For bonus points, guess which one unit I lost the entire mission:

Gorthak
Orc Warlord
Goblin Wolf Rider (Either)
Goblin Shaman
Lizard Archer
Lizard Swordsman

Gorthak?

Unless it's him, keep the short version. It fits our "hero".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crowsbeak posted:

I'm trying to remember, because its been forever since I played, but in the finale Halfling mission don't you still end up fighting the frostings? Also play the mission on a higher difficulty.

Honestly difficulty wouldn't have changed the outcome. The AI exposed his leader really early and I took advantage of it.

Since this is a special vote, I'm only going to leave it open for a few hours.

This below, plus Gorthak, is what we started with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Play it normally. Getting all the experience and loot is useful. Although you can still show off the quick win.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Play it normally, just make sure to keep Gorthak alive.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

RZApublican posted:

Play it normally, just make sure to keep Gorthak alive.

I'm all for this.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gorthak isn't the unit that died (Though he did get knocked to about 50% for the final battle)

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

The short version will work; no worries if Gorthak is still around :haw:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Play it normally. Getting all the experience and loot is useful. Although you can still show off the quick win.

Yeah, this.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Okay, I accidentally goofed up and overwrote the save I had before the last (victorious) turn. That means that I'll have to restart the scenario if you guys want it longer. That's perfectly fine, though it does mean we probably won't get one of the most broken items in the game. Why does it cost 10 points to pass on?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cult of Storms Mission 4, What Could Have Been

(Note: Some of the stuff in this update will not be repeated, namely the unit profiles)

I decide that in these times what we need are new allies, new blood with which to accomplish my goals. Gorthak and his riders remain with me, as does one of the Warlords who has taken it upon himself to be my bodyguard. The rest of the Orcs and the Demon head further west to the Orc lands. I have no doubt that they will accomplish that which they seek.

I take along a new spellbook with me so that I may gain its secrets. One of the Lizardmen that sought my help also brought an incentive, a book of water magic. I suspect this will be of great use in the future.

Our initial position is tentative, but not without both promise and concern. There's a friendly Lizardmen settlement to the east, holding one of the approaches to our position, and both decent farmland to the north and a mining operation to the south. What has the most interest to me, however, is the old ruins to the west, almost lost among the vines.

Lizardman Swordsman posted:

Lizardmen warriors fight with long toothy blades carved from shark's teeth, shards of obsidian, and the bones of swamp creatures. Due to their aquatic realm, metal is scarce and seldom lasts to be worth the purchasing price. Like all of their race, Lizardmen warriors can swim across large bodies of water and are somewhat more susceptible to magic effects than other races.
I dispatch the Lizardmen that guided us here to the east, so that they may persuade that other village to fly my flag.

Giant Slug posted:

Giant Slugs are most commonly found in moist climates from temperate to hot, especially swamps. These creatures are vaguely worm-like and have two eyestalks at the front ends of their bodies. Like normal slugs, Giant Slugs are slow moving creatures and are extremely vulnerable with their soft flesh offering no significant protection from weapons. They defend themselves by spitting a caustic substance at predators over a short distance.

Lizardman Archer posted:

Lizardmen archers wield the bow with average competency, but they possess great tactical advantage because they can swim. They excel at striking distant targets from the safety of the water.
A handful of Lizardmen warriors defend that village along with a strange and rather disgusting creature of the swamps.

Undead Swordsman posted:

Most corpses which rise from the dead, do so in the form of the common Undead soldier. Being dead, they rise and grab whatever weapon they may find. Most commonly, this weapon is a longsword, but hordes have been known to grab the limbs of other dead, sticks, or anything with which they can smash things. Undead feel no emotion and it is debatable whether they are truly sentient or reasonable, but they inspire fear and dread wherever they go. Like most of their race, Undead warriors are immune to many attacks, such as poison, charm, and fear. They are highly resistant to cold, fire, and lightning. Being animated, they can take considerable damage and if not completely destroyed, will pull themselves back together after each combat. Skeletal warriors move at a slower rate than similarly sized humanoids due to their age and rigidity. For the same reason, Undead warriors typically have less power behind each blow than other humanoids.

Undead Archer posted:

Resembling the machine that creates the most death in the mortal realm, theUndead Army employs archers to destroy life at a distance. Undead archers wield the bow with average proficiency, as they did in life. Some have uncanny mastery, while others lack. As Undead, they are immune to many forms of attacks, such as poison, and highly resistant to cold, fire, and lightning. Undead Archers are but shadows of their prior lives and lack feeling or emotion which might cause them to cower in fear or follow after the charming creatures of the earth. Being animated they possess the power to pull themselves together if they are not completely destroyed in combat. These skeletal archers also move at a slower rate than similarly sized humanoids due to their age and rigidity.

Of great concern to both me and my new allies is an abandoned city to the north, long since overgrown with vines but now infested with the undead, perhaps the original inhabitants, or perhaps the home of a necromancer, I neither know nor care which. They will have to be dealt with.

I am hungry for the new spells that I have obtained and quickly set myself to learning the most basic of them. A very useful spell no doubt.

Sensing both the need for mastery of these new books and the trials ahead, I carefully manage my studies and meditation, striking a perfect balance between them.

As we venture into the ruins they seem to be more active than one might expect, but due to beast, not men.

Wolf posted:

Wolves are natural predators. Because of their innate fighting instincts, agility, and ability to adapt to extreme climates, they are often used as mounts by both Goblins and Frostlings. Whether in temperate or cold climates, Wolves tend to hunt in packs in thick forests where they can team up on prey and bring it down for a quick meal.

The ruins are the home for a pack of wolves, one of which leapt at me from the shadows. By reflex I brought upon the waters below it, casting the creature into the ceiling and stunning it. My bodyguard was quick to dispatch it afterwards.

There were many more of them in the ruins, but also remnants of those that inhabited this place in its former glory.

Gorthak noticed a particularly dark helmet upon one of the skeleton's head. His hands trembled as he drew it from the head of its former owner, a grin upon his Goblin features. It will serve him better than it served its prior owner, no doubt.

Finally the last of the beasts was slain, Gorthak's pack victorious in the way of the wolves.

We also found a strange golden sickle in the ruins. It seemed like just a fancy trinket, at first, but the warmth within it was magical. I gave it to Gorthak to join his new helmet, and I've never seen something that was both ridiculous and powerful until today.

I felt the need for more information about my surroundings, information that I needed quickly in these wetlands. A special spell of mine that I never used before, but always thought about, came to mind. For a brief moment my perception was in the skies above me, letting me see for miles around. The glimpse was fleeting at best, but still very valuable.

The Lizardmen village to the East agreed to join my cause so I sent the warriors from the first village to help bolster its defenses. The southern bridge is secure for now.

The Orc village to the north was willing to talk, but my bodyguard felt by offering to talk they were showing disrespect to both me and all Orcs. With his council in mind I decided to teach these Orcs a lesson about respect.

They were indeed weak, barely a trouble for us to destroy. I let the Warlord instill some proper spine into them as I discussed what I wanted to do with Gorthak.

As I prepared to deal with the Undead threat to the west I had Gorthak head north with his riders, to see what threats may lie there.

As he traveled north his pack happened upon a lone Frostling. Before they finished off the chill thing they extracted some information from it, namely that their leader and his bodyguard were very close.

This presents both a challenge and an opportunity. They were far from their main defenses and thus vulnerable, but at the same time I needed to deal with the Undead first. With this in mind I called Gorthak back to join me so that we could wipe out the Undead.

As I waited for him to rejoin me I finished my master of the first spell from the new books. A simple spell in some ways, but a very important one for the future.

I sent a messenger to the Orc village, instructing them to construct fortifications so that no Frostling could sneak past them and cross the bridge to the South.

Meanwhile we advanced upon the undead, Gorthak's riders to my right and the Warlord behind me as I advanced.

Although their necromantic bodies were resistant to my lightning, it still had the desired effects with the electrical energy briefly disrupting the unholy energies that animated them.

Disrupted as they were, it was a simple task for Gorthak and the Orc to destroy their remains. The rest of Gorthak's pack was a bit hesitant to engage, no doubt due to how inedible their foes were.

With the last of the active undead destroyed, I sent for Orcs from the nearby town to come here and reclaim this place from the jungle.

I noticed during the fight that Gorthak's blows seemed even more telling than before, perhaps due to a revulsion at the sight of the undead, or due to his ever-increasing ability.

A quick survey of the surrounding lands reveals that there is a small Human settlement just to the west of here. Survivors perhaps from this town? I send Gorthak over to deal with them.

They offer to parlay, but Gorthak's men are rather curious as to what a Human tastes like.

His riders make their way up to the outskirts of the settlement while the brief truce is discussed.

Gorthak's tolerance of such 'pleasantries' can only last so long. He leaps at one of the men talking to him and strikes the human down with a single blow.

The rest of his pack moves to his aid and swarm the human contingent, but one of them is rather badly hurt before the final foe falls. I decide to be a bit generous with these Humans. This is a time for new allies, after all. This land is a place where the weak perish and the strong survive. The Humans that destroyed the Vale were stronger, were they not? So why not add their strength to mine?

Indeed, I myself am growing stronger. With my mastery of the magical arts complete, I turn now to the physical protection of my self. My bodyguard has been instructing me on how better to defend myself in combat. After all, he says, if I can protect myself better he can focus on killing our foes before they reach me.

My watcher to the north report that the Frostling Leader has advanced further south with his men, and a strange frost is moving with them.

Frost Queen posted:

The Frost Queen appears as a tall, slender, beautiful woman with a light bluish skin tone. Little is known for certain about the nature of these being, but they are often thought of as the nymphs of the frozen tundra. Unlike nymphs, they cannot seduce male humanoids, however, they are revered as goddesses among the Frostlings. "Kissed by the Divine Stillness," (as Frostlings describe her) The Frost Queen freezes everything she touches in fragile jewels of ice crystals.
Frost Queens live in the snowy wilderness, often in forests, but in rare moments, they seek something other than solitude, and seek the companionship of their friends, the Frostlings.
I suspect that I know why. Among their number must be an ice witch, or a Frost Queen as the Frostlings call them. I can see why the Lizardmen see them as a threat, such creatures would turn this swamp into another frozen waste. Something I will not allow.

Their leader has made a grave mistake, moving too far out in front of his forces, save for what he has with him he is well exposed. At the very least I must kill those Ice Witches, but if the opportunity presents itself I will slay him as well.

Something must be said about how well the Frostlings respond to my lightning. Their bodies are resistant to the cold, befitting of their homeland, but not to the electricity that I can call upon.

Gorthak's pack advances to my right while my bodyguard wades forward, cleaving through the tiny creatures with his great blade. The Frostling leader demonstrates his own magical prowess, sending forth a hail of ice shards that cut through both the Orc and the Goblin following behind him, though neither are felled.

In a remarkable display of selfless behavior for his kind, the Goblin focuses his healing energies not upon his grievously wounded body, but on the great Orc before him, though perhaps he felt that the Orc would keep him alive better if he wasn't badly hurt.

He fended off a Frostling warrior with his staff, but I could tell that he wouldn't last long. I did what I could to help him, calling upon the lightning, but that one warrior was strangely resistant for his kind, shrugging off the worst of my magic.

As the Goblin fell, the Orc turned his attention upon the slayer, his great blade cleaving the Frostlings before him as if they were wheat. I see in him the pinnacle of Orcish potential.

I cast my lightning out again, watching the one Frostling hero flee for his life, his leader falling behind him to the blades of Gorthak's pack.

And with that, the threat to this part of the swamp is gone, but I fear that this is only the start of what lies before me.

Meandor calls me a fool, a traitor to his cause with my actions. But what I see before me is strength and power. A true and ancient source of power that I will use to crush my enemies. Perhaps even Meandor as well should he get in my way.

My work here is far from done, the deeper swamps holding much peril, but at the same time much potential. Ancient civilizations were once here, who knows what they left behind. And if I have anything to say about it, a new one will rise here, greater than any before.

Look at that Sickle! 10 points to carry it on for a +2 Attack, +1 Damage weapon! If you can get more than one of these the game becomes just that much easier.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
God drat, is fearless really worth all those 200+ points that the helmet costs?

vvvvv Edit: Oh whoops, I actually missed the unholy champion bit somehow.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 1, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Quite a few of the high tier stuff causes fear, which can be a very nasty debuff. But that helmet also has Unholy Champion on it, which is a fairly decent enchantment, IF you're fighting good-aligned units.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

Quite a few of the high tier stuff causes fear, which can be a very nasty debuff. But that helmet also has Unholy Champion on it, which is a fairly decent enchantment, IF you're fighting good-aligned units.

Which, to be fair, is most of the time in the Cult campaign outside this campaign arc and one other.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

When it comes down to it the point values are completely nonsensical for the items. I believe they're based on theoretical gold costs (as with the unit carryover costs), but there's no reason as to why items cost what they do.

Why is the Magical Sword and Magical Axe the same? +1 Damage is worth 10 character points while +1 Attack is worth five. And then there's the completely insane cost for the Golden Sickle, 10 cost for +2 attack AND +1 damage?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Its an old game and I could swear someone ended up modding those outrageous numbers to more sensible numbers. Taerkar you're awesome for doing this LP, one of my favorite games.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dark-elf commander with Dominate and Regeneration, death death and fire spheres.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

Here in the swamp, where things with large snapping teeth devour things with smaller snapping teeth, I am beginning to see life according to the true order of things.
The best quote in the game :allears:

So now that you know what life is really about, you may return to the proper (evil) path :v:

And I'm tempted to pull out my own disc and play along. Proper evil path, no Lifestealing and *elemental* Strike at character creation, Fire 4/Death 3 spheres. Should give a (tiny) bit of challenge.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cult of Storms Mission 4: The Southern Swamps

Tranquil

First a bit of what is different from before. My initial steps were the same, so what we have is a different result from the ruins. There were humans in it instead of wolves, but whatever.

Look at that! Gorthak is getting into 'Freaking Scary' territory now. Regen means that he'll be back at 100% at the start of every turn!

We resume play right after I 'liberate' the Orc city to the north of us.

Gorthak and his pack ride to the north, my magical senses letting me follow their progress. They happen upon a small group of Frostlings upon a bridge and quickly tear them apart.

Yeti posted:

The Yeti is a large, thick-furred creature that lives in the snowy mountains of the coldest regions. Little is known for certain about this creature as it is rarely seen. Tales surely exaggerate its strength, but stories tell of a single Yeti breaking through city walls by brute force before wreaking havoc on the townsfolk.
Yetis are immune to the effects of cold. A Yeti strikes with a blast of supernatural cold, which has earned it the nickname "Abominable Snowman."
His pack spots a strange creature moving to the east, apparently in collusion with the Frostlings. No doubt eager to find out what it tastes like his pack sets off in hunt of the strange creature.

The creature is apparently a Yeti, a great beast of the frozen lands, empowered by the ice it lives in. One of his riders was chilled to the core with its strike, barely able to do anything but shiver under the effect of the magical cold. Fortunately for him Gorthak was quick to fell the beast before it could slay his packmate.

I was not idle while he hunted to the north. My attention turned to that Undead-infested ruins to the west. The unnatural things did not take well to my magic, its effect still felt upon their decaying bodies. The Shaman that accompanied us was fueled with a great vigor at the sight of the creatures, calling upon the powers of his god to smite the abomination before him. In it I saw what I once thought was impossible, fear in the eyes of the undead. Not that the Shaman let it fear for long, his staff quickly disrupting its dark energies, dispelling the powers that held it together.

Gorthak's pack went on a rampage to the north, first finding one of those despoiling Ice Witches and her escort, destroying both of them without any real difficulty.

They then overran the pitiful garrison of a small Frostling hamlet nearby, leaving it with no uncertain ideas about what would happen to them if they strayed from my flag.

I crafted and dispatched a great eagle to follow his pack, both allowing me to keep an eye upon their progress the further they traveled from me as well as to expand his own information about the land around him. Through magical eyes I watched as his pack drove an enemy garrison from one of the largest cities in the area, giving chase to it further to the east, no doubt where they thought they could find safety in numbers.

With the Eagle's help, he tracked them to another town, catching them before they could reach the (false) safety of its wooden walls.

With a literal birds-eye view I watched the battle unfold, my creation remaining to the flank, distracting the Frostling's ranged contingent while Gorthak descended upon the rest of their troops in a flurry of death.

One of his pack was badly hurt by the Frostlings and I expected to see them leave that injured member to its fate, but instead Gorthak ordered him to retreat, slaying the would-be killer at the same time.

The Eagle I was observing through lured off a single Frostling Archer and tore it asunder, removing the last laughable threat from the battlefield. Gorthak himself killed two more of the Ice Witches, ridding the swamplands of their threat.

My own scouts reported a small Frostling group to the north of me, a handful of soldiers with a battering ram. No doubt they sought to take advantage of some of the poorly defended garrisons left behind in Gorthak's wake. Knowing the weakness of such a group I conjured up a second Eagle and sent it forth.

The would-be conquerors could only watch helplessly as the great eagle tore apart their siege weapon. With their only means of victory destroyed they retreated back to their leader to report their failure.

Its task complete I sent the Eagle further to the north to scout out the enemy rear. As before I desired for it to not only report back to me, but also cause what chaos it could behind their lines.

Fresh from his grand victory Gorthak was almost gleaming with new power, but sadly it was a power I could not enjoy with my scout as the air around it suddenly crystallized, ice forming over my magical creature's form before I lost my link to it.

No doubt awed by Gorthak's display before their town, one of the Frostlings there rode out on a wolf of his own, begging to join Gorthak's pack. Already a bit lean with the dispatching of half of their number in the United Cities, Gorthak accepted him, but no doubt as the new fodder for the pack.

My surviving Eagle to the west was struck by that strange Ice weapon as well, but it was able to break free of the deadly frost before it crashed to the ground. Greatly hurt but still 'alive' it continued on its task to the north.

The Lizardmen I left behind to hold our initial position decided to contact the largest remaining Lizardman city in the area. Through their rituals and customs the new tribe joined ours, though it was apparently a fairly lavish ceremony.

The Dwarven town to the east of the initial base would require something a bit more basic. Their spirits bolstered by the successful ceremony, the Lizardmen troop joined my small force in assaulting the Dwarven Town.

Between them and my powerful magics, the stubborn defenders of the town were quickly dispatched.

I could see the fear in the eyes of the Dwarves, no matter how much they tried to hide it with the dour set of their lips and beards. No doubt they expected exile, if not worse, at my hands. But no, this is a new land and a new start to me. Something that demands a new approach to things. (Almost) Every race has a place in my future, as long as they all behave properly. Also being able to insult them about being 'Afraid to build something' after I instructed them to construct a wall was worth it. The Warlord offered to show them how as well. How their beards bristled.

I perused my maps, taking in the lands around me. Most of what I had was mine now, the Southern lands were well secured and being fortified, an enclave of Orcs on an island in the lake north of me was still independent, but they would be dealt with in the future, but after I am finished with my primary task here.

There was an old monster lair to the east, and the Shaman with me told me that he sensed some revolting energies come from it. Not liking that kind of portent, I regrouped with Gorthak and headed to deal with the lair.

At first it just seemed to be home to a rather horrible looking wolf, something that on reflection should have hinted at what lie within it.

While he explored deeper into the cave, Gorthak found a forgotten weapon lying upon the ground, surrounded by what seemed to be little scraps of clothing and a few bits of armor, perhaps the remnants of a fight long ago? He found it to be much more suitable of a weapon for himself than the axe that he carried.

(Also has Strike, Walking, and Wall Crushing)

Undead Bone Horror posted:

The Bone Horror is a mass of jagged bones from the Undead victims of all once-living things. The creature resembles a great beast, but the bones of the creature is a mass of natural animals and any other thing it can kill and gather into itself. Animated by the most powerful death magic, these ferocious tangles of death scavenge graveyards, and wherever dead things can be found. They are extremely difficult to destroy for the fact that they regenerate quickly, literally pulling themselves back together after each battle. They move slowly but are so massive that they can crush even the largest walls. Like all undead they are resistant to fire, cold, and lightning attacks, immune to fear-based attacks, poison and death magic.
No sooner had he claimed the weapon for his own that a unholy monster burst from the shadows. A vile composition made up of the bones of animals and beings alike, the great skeletal beast attacked Gorthak. His new weapon proved to be quite adept at the challenge, allowing for him to have enough of a reach to engage the monster without coming too close to it.
More than once the horrible bones and shards that made up its body would wound Gorthak, and I did wonder if I would see the last of him this day, but in the end he proved triumphant once more.

I felt a presence among the remains of that great beast, a magical touch that I could feel was trying to reach out around it and undo that which had claimed it. A quick exploration found that among that creature's composition was a single finger with a ring upon it. Gorthak gave me his no-longer-used axe to work it free, allowing for me to claim the ring. I felt it was a portent, in a way, a means by which I may help restore this land.

It was ironic, in a way, I set out first to destroy the Keepers, but now I find myself upon a different path, and in some ways I'm much better suited to do that which the Keepers claim to desire than they can.

As I ride north behind Gorthak I spend more time with the Warlord, listening to him as he teaches me more about the defensive arts. This time he shows me how to turn a foe's attack, deflecting it before it even has the chance to reach my person. Not as useful against a bow, unfortunately, but very useful against blade, tooth, or claw.

To the North my Eagle was finding the Frostling lands to be almost completely undefended, allowing for me to claim them for my own flag. What it could not claim I left a mental note to deal with later, most likely at Gorthak's capable hands.

It also found one of the strange altars that was used to attack it before. Through it I was able to establish a connection to the ancient magics that powered the device, bending it to my will.

Gorthak had apparently found one earlier, but was unable to fully control it, so he simply left it be. As I rode to the North I fully claimed it and investigated it further. It could apparently blast a large swath of land with incredible icy powers, chilling all that lived within it and freezing the land.

Indeed there seemed to be some traces of its use already in this area, but as I rode north, the ring that I wore spread its warmth around us, restoring the glory of the swamp.

Gorthak's pack moved into the north, easily overrunning a weakly defended Frostling Hamlet before heading deeper into their territory to claim that which my eagle had spotted.

I traveled to the west again with my men and found another Frostling raiding party. It had just reclaimed the one hamlet that Gorthak had taken many days ago and was no doubt seeking to take more back.

They may have been successful had they not run into me. But now they are no more.

Almost all of the Frostling territory was mine now, their leader and his hero were cowering in their last remaining stronghold. It was one of the largest towns in the land, but aside from a small raiding group they were afraid to leave it. What defense they expected from it I did not know, they hadn't even fortified it yet.

One of those raider packs tried to head to the east, no doubt to reclaim the Altar of Ice just to the north of their stronghold. I instructed the Eagle to block their way, trusting in its ability to terrorize those without ranged weapons from its presence. The Dire Penguin with them tried to circumvent it by swimming past the bridge, but it was plucked from the waters like a fish and slain.

Gorthak's pack set upon another small raiding group and gave the newest member a chance to prove himself. A task that the Frostling accomplished with no small skill.

Although I came here to stop such things from being done, I could not resist the justice of using the Frostlings' own weapons against them. Both of the Altars that could reach their encampment were employed, blasting them with magical ice and causing great carnage and chaos.

And it was into this carnage we advanced.

Although the great weapons had only killed a few of them, most of the Frostlings showed at least some sign of injury from their energies. I headed to the west with the Shaman while Gorthak and the Warlord advanced on their center. The rest of Gorthak's pack went east, seeing a pair of stragglers from the worst-hit of the Frostling forces.

Already gravely wounded at the start of our assault, the majority of the Frostling's western line crumbled under my magic, three of them falling before my spell and the survivor of that dying to the Shaman's mystical energies.

To the north Gorthak was engaged by one of the Frostling Riders, but the Warlord strode forth, ignoring the feeble strikes of his foes as he waded into their midst. A full sweep of his great blade left more than a few of them lying upon the ground, dead or dying.

Gorthak's pack, however, was having a bit of trouble to the east. They had easily overrun the stragglers, but the Frostling Leader and his Hero had moved to defend that flank. One of the Goblins was driven off with fearsome injuries while the other was chilled by the Hero's blade. The newest member of the pack charged out to try and defend his packmate, landing a few good hits on the Frostling Champion.

But as he fought that Champion their leader's attention moved to him, shards of ice cast from the man's hand and striking down the Rider. A howl of rage come from Gorthak as his newest packmate fell, the Frostling leader's head turning at the sound, only to see Gorthak's blade falling upon his head.

The Frostling menace to the Swamps is ended, for now.

So what will we take?

575 points to play with again, Gorthak is now a hefty 262 points of our total, leaving 313 behind.

Our items:

Ring of Regeneration: 300 points (Yowzah!)
Ring of Power: 225 points (+1 to Attack, Defense, Resistance, and Damage)
Magic Helm: 40 points (+1 to Defense)
Magic Axe: 85 points (+1 to Damage)
Ring of Life: 150 points (Death Immunity, Path of Life)
Enchanted Halbred: 130 points (+1 to Damage, First Strike)

Units:
Elite Orc Warlord: 105 points
2x Elite Goblin Wolf Riders: 28 points each
Veteran Goblin Shaman: 26 points
2x Regular Orc Archers: 15 points each
2x Regular Frostling Archers: 15 points each
Regular Giant Slug: 12 points
Regular Dwarf Archer: 16 points

You know the voting drill!

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 1, 2013

• Locked thread