Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Assume I'm an idiot; I'm stuck in Fairune. I've reached a pair of tablets with birds on them and I don't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Has anyone played Doom Classic on the iPad? Do you think its worth the $5? I have had Wolfenstein on mine forever and just got around to playing it tonight, it controls surprisingly well so if Dooms is anything like it I might give it a try.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any good time consuming strategy type games that don't constantly bug you/require you to buy gems or other bullshit? I don't mind paying outright.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

loudog999 posted:

Has anyone played Doom Classic on the iPad? Do you think its worth the $5? I have had Wolfenstein on mine forever and just got around to playing it tonight, it controls surprisingly well so if Dooms is anything like it I might give it a try.

I haven't played doom classic, but your post reminded me of the first cell phone game I ever played: Doom RPG, on a Sony Ericsson flip phone(with full color 1.5x2" screen and EDGE connectivity :whatup: It was basically just like Doom 2 RPG but I actually liked it much more because the graphics looked pretty much like they were lifted straight out of the original doom, whereas Doom 2 RPG's graphics had this cartoony 'updated' look that pretty much blew IMO. It's too bad, because afaik the only Doom RPG on iOS is number 2.

But I'd be interested to hear opinions on doom classic, because speaking of poo poo touchscreen controls, nothing could possibly be more of an affront to my gamer dignity than developers expecting me to play games like modern warfare, where aiming and moving with the virtual pad+buttons is so god awfully awkward and arthritis-inducing that I can't understand how people buy and play it enough for there to be multiple sequels, not to mention the dozens of other iOS FPSs with similar control schemes. Seriously, does anyone in this thread play those kinds of games on their phone? How do you do it? That said, it seems like Doom's simple horizontal axis- only shooting and movement might be easier for my apparently stunted hand coordination to handle.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
^^ Doom II RPG is is on the App Store but its dumb and stupid and don't buy. Get Wolf RPG instead. Where the doofy humor makes total sense in the Wolfenstein world, it is totally out of place in Doom.

duckfarts posted:

Don't gently caress (too much)with the ducks

At least they're not geese. You think ducks are bad but a bunch of full grown geese? Run.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 31, 2013

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

I've played Doom Classic and it's pretty good I think! It has lovely virtual buttons but you can put them anywhere on the screen and resize them and set opacity to your heart's content.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Doom Classic is great and it's probably as good as it gets when it comes to virtual controls. Not as good as a controller of course but it works.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

It has lovely virtual buttons but you can put them anywhere on the screen and resize them and set opacity to your heart's content.
That seems like such a simple way to make virtual pads at least passably better that I'm surprised every game with one doesn't implement that feature. Well, that or standardize the virtual button layout in all games so that there could be a stick-on screen protector with little Braille-style dots for up down left & right.

Right now I'm playing and enjoying Sonic CD on my iPhone. It's been out for a couple of years, and it's a little awkward to manage the virtual d-pad, but it's got all the old timey 16 bit Sonic charm and it's the one I never got to play as a kid.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Ming the Merciless posted:

I got along just fine with them in my last playthrough, but they will not form an alliance with you no matter what. Just be nice to them!

They asked for my support to join my tribe in my last game, I was kind of hoping we could swing it but I'm pretty sure just floating the idea to the rest of the tribe was what made it the whole thing fall apart - is it possible to get the ducks in as full bros?

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

That seems like such a simple way to make virtual pads at least passably better that I'm surprised every game with one doesn't implement that feature. Well, that or standardize the virtual button layout in all games so that there could be a stick-on screen protector with little Braille-style dots for up down left & right.
I feel like whoever did the port were very much into PC games because there's a slider for p much everything UI related. :v:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is Ravensword 2 as crap as it looks? And what is Ravensword 1 like?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Assume I'm an idiot; I'm stuck in Fairune. I've reached a pair of tablets with birds on them and I don't know what the gently caress.

I got stuck there too, and currently I'm stuck somewhere further on. This is a game to get stuck in.

Anyway, on a screen near those tablets is a suspicious rock. Try pushing it. Then try pushing it again, ten minutes later, and realize the reason it didn't work the first time is because there is no indication you're supposed to push it in a specific direction.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

xiw posted:

They asked for my support to join my tribe in my last game, I was kind of hoping we could swing it but I'm pretty sure just floating the idea to the rest of the tribe was what made it the whole thing fall apart - is it possible to get the ducks in as full bros?

No, your tribe will never let you become bros with goofy-looking ducks, no matter how brutal those ducks are when angered. It's pretty sad. You can be on good enough terms with them to get a fairly nice annual food tribute, though.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Wario In Real Life posted:

I think it's more of a "we're better at this than you and it's a bad idea and we know this because we literally make games for a living" but I still want to see them implement it just so everyone clamoring for it can shut up.

A Maxis dev did this for SimCity too, and then everyone agreed it was a good game because they posted on SA.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

You could always get one of these: http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/joystickit_and_fling_ipad_thumbsticks_review

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Necroneocon posted:

A Maxis dev did this for SimCity too, and then everyone agreed it was a good game because they posted on SA.

It's best to ignore the NB sycophants and let the thread die while they get the new release out of their system. Your own post says why.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bummey posted:

^^ Doom II RPG is is on the App Store but its dumb and stupid and don't buy. Get Wolf RPG instead. Where the doofy humor makes total sense in the Wolfenstein world, it is totally out of place in Doom.

I can't speak for Doom RPG but DoomRL is full of tongue-in-cheek vulgar humor and it works pretty well as an extension of the original game-- the writing in Doom, however sparse, was really immature and cartoonish. it could probably do without the anime references though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus, iOS games are serious business. Some of you are seriously on the fast track to Butt-Hurt about a free game that should really just be taken on its merits or walked away from...

A free loving mobile phone game.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I only posted twice or so about my dislike for alternate control options, other goons ran away with the message.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

I only posted twice or so about my dislike for alternate control options, other goons ran away with the message.

As a pillar of the community you have a solemn duty to take a completely neutral stance on everything.

This was in the manual that came with your membership card. :colbert:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Feenix posted:

Jesus, iOS games are serious business. Some of you are seriously on the fast track to Butt-Hurt about a free game that should really just be taken on its merits or walked away from...

"Butt-Hurt" in 2013? I thought we dropped that when we upgraded to ios6?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Feenix posted:

Perhaps the one taking things too seriously...is you!? :stonk:

Doom RPG is an interesting beast, I can recommend it was only slight hesitations. Also I died in Nimble Quest because a swipe didn't register :( Prolly too light of a swipe or something screen related rather than NQ.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Could we please stop the stupid virtual button derail. Een is a fine, upstanding maker of video game machine devices, and can do whatever he wants with his trains.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
iOS Games Megathread: gently caress virtual button posts.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Shalinor posted:

Could we please stop the stupid virtual button derail. Een is a fine, upstanding maker of video game machine devices, and can do whatever he wants with his trains.

this just made me think, if he simply swapped out the little dude sprites with little train cars, he could resell that game to a whole new demographic, train nuts.
I already make little choo-choo noises when I'm playing it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pladdicus posted:

Perhaps the one taking things too seriously...is you!? :stonk:

Yeah I don't see how...

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Zigmidge posted:

It's best to ignore the NB sycophants and let the thread die while they get the new release out of their system. Your own post says why.
Sycophants...? Really...?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I've noticed a bit of sycophanticism, there is a rather hostile attitude towards people who don't super love nimblebit in this thread. I wouldn't go so far as to say that though.

Anyone still playing Dungeon Plunder? Seems like the weekly updates are sticking around for awhile, neat to see the big changes each week, I find it's one of my goto timewaste games before bed or when I have a second to just play a little.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Necroneocon posted:

"everyone agreed it was a good game." You're clearly confusing the SA SimCity thread with some other forum. Are you talking about the ex-SimCity 4 dev that posted in the thread a couple times like a month before release? As far as I know nobody from SimCity ever posted and that thread is almost nothing but people talking about how god awful the game is.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pladdicus posted:

I've noticed a bit of sycophanticism, there is a rather hostile attitude towards people who don't super love nimblebit in this thread. I wouldn't go so far as to say that though.

Anyone still playing Dungeon Plunder? Seems like the weekly updates are sticking around for awhile, neat to see the big changes each week, I find it's one of my goto timewaste games before bed or when I have a second to just play a little.

I play it a lot and am loving the changes;'I can't wait for what this week will bring!

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

I don't know how else you'd describe the people who line up to post about how they just couldn't sleep because some mediocre IAP driven snake clone kept them up all night enjoying the groundbreaking swipe controls and brilliantly placed IAP button or whatever. Do they get free nimblebux or something based on how over the top the hyperbole is?

Then again, I'm always the one who listens to the hype, downloads the game, thinks "what the gently caress?" and deletes it only to do the exact same thing the next time a Nimblebit game gets released so I guess they know what they're doing. :)

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 31, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Armed Neutrality posted:

I don't know how else you'd describe the people who line up to post about how they just couldn't sleep all night because some mediocre IAP driven snake clone kept them up all night enjoying the groundbreaking swipe controls and brilliantly placed IAP button or whatever. Do they get free nimblebux or something based on how over the top the hyperbole is?

Then again, I'm always the one who listens to the hype, downloads the game, thinks "what the gently caress?" and deletes it only to do the exact same thing the next time a Nimblebit game gets released so I guess they know what they're doing. :)

Personally I'm more leery about the dismissal of criticism based on their opinion trumping their detractors just because they're ios devs. Sure, they have control of the product but it doesn't innately make them right. Well that and we have a mod who is an ios dev promoting their own games in the thread. Largely professional about it but I do question the possible conflict of interest.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Hey can we go back to talking about iOS games. OK cool
Have any of you tried a game called Dungeon Hearts? I saw it featured, it looks pretty charming and I'm a sucker for puzzle games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ispPnHlnHNw

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Armed Neutrality posted:

I don't know how else you'd describe the people who line up to post about how they just couldn't sleep because some mediocre IAP driven snake clone kept them up all night enjoying the groundbreaking swipe controls and brilliantly placed IAP button or whatever. Do they get free nimblebux or something based on how over the top the hyperbole is?

Oh... I get it now. You're a crazy person.

(PS people did the exact same thing when Ridiculous Fishing was released and that dev doesn't have an account on the forums. Perhaps they're posting about the game because they actually enjoy it. Just a thought.)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

On the other hand, someone posted that they didn't care for Ridiculous Fishing and didn't get a dozen guys jumping at him.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Did he say he hated the tilt controls and wished it had an on screen dpad? ;)

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Did he say he hated the tilt controls and wished it had an on screen dpad? ;)

Actually someone did.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Well if it makes you feel any better I would have called him an idiot too.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I guess one alternative I can think of is like Dragon Fantasy does for movement where the screen is divided into four sections and you touch in a section to move that way, in essence making the entire screen a giant d-pad. Virtual d-pads are loving horrible for most things though.

e: I think the Pac-Man iOS port has something like 4 control options, this being one of them. There's also a virtual d-pad and a thing where both sides of the screen have analog sticks and you can turn by using either.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Oh... I get it now. You're a crazy person.

(PS people did the exact same thing when Ridiculous Fishing was released and that dev doesn't have an account on the forums. Perhaps they're posting about the game because they actually enjoy it. Just a thought.)

Yeah but that's actually a good game with no IAP and no one really gave a poo poo if someone didn't like it. Hell even one of the Nimblebit guys said he wished it had IAP and no one really jumped all over him, imagine that.

And here you are calling me crazy for not liking a game. +100 Nimblebux!

• Locked thread