Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think it's kind of weird they are buffing Slag so much for UVHM, i was of the opinion that Slag was easily the most important element for TVHM as it is.

Apart from like three fights (first thresher fight in the highlands, first super badass constructor on the way to bunker, second super badass constructor on the way to Jack.) it's pretty easy to go through all of TVHM without ever using slag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think it's kind of weird they are buffing Slag so much for UVHM, i was of the opinion that Slag was easily the most important element for TVHM as it is.

I honestly never used it. Law and Order on a melee spec Zero got me through parts 2 and 2.5 without having to worry about elements too much, with the exception being a corrosive Hyperion shotgun for buzzards

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ah Pook posted:

I honestly never used it. Law and Order on a melee spec Zero got me through parts 2 and 2.5 without having to worry about elements too much, with the exception being a corrosive Hyperion shotgun for buzzards

Yeah maybe it's because I've only done TVHM as Salvador and Axton, but I used Slag alot and I never had a problem with TVHM except for Sawtooth and Hero's Pass.

.... oh god Sawtooth is gonna be a nightmare in UVHM

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I got through TVHM without slag alright, using the other elementals gets you far enough.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Someone asked this in the console thread, but I don't think there was an answer and I'm curious too, so I'll ask here. Am I crazy, or are assault rifles pretty much terrible? I haven't found a single one that's better than an even level SMG, besides the different ammo type.

(edit) This is part one I'm asking about, by the way, though if it changes after finishing the game once that'd be interesting. Not that I'll ever beat the game :v:

On an unrelated note, that Cult Following quest that sends you back to Flint's boat is boring assholes. :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 30, 2013

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Someone asked this in the console thread, but I don't think there was an answer and I'm curious too, so I'll ask here. Am I crazy, or are assault rifles pretty much terrible? I haven't found a single one that's better than an even level SMG, besides the different ammo type.

(edit) This is part one I'm asking about, by the way, though if it changes after finishing the game once that'd be interesting. Not that I'll ever beat the game :v:

On an unrelated note, that Cult Following quest that sends you back to Flint's boat is boring assholes. :mad:

No. Assault rifles are trash in this game. I'm not sure why smg's and assault rifles did a complete 180 between the two games but they did.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Ciaphas posted:

Am I crazy, or are assault rifles pretty much terrible? I haven't found a single one that's better than an even level SMG, besides the different ammo type.
We talked about this a few pages back, I think. Basically, yes.

The only assault rifles that can be used are Torgue rocket rifles or Vladov blasters, imo. If you're very lucky, you might find a bandit AR that doesn't suck too hard in accuracy and has a big-rear end mag. But that's pretty much it.

Most SMGs do a better job at being ARs, plasma casters are especially rad.

Ulvirich posted:

Have you tried a Shredfier, Hammer Buster, Kerblaster or a dahl minigun?
Yeah, everyone should use a Kerblaster!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 31, 2013

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Someone asked this in the console thread, but I don't think there was an answer and I'm curious too, so I'll ask here. Am I crazy, or are assault rifles pretty much terrible?

Have you tried a Shredfier, Hammer Buster, Kerblaster or a dahl minigun?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
SMGs were better than combat rifles in the first game too. They just don't seem to know what to do with them, which is why they both fulfill the same role in combat.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Fibby Boy posted:

No. Assault rifles are trash in this game. I'm not sure why smg's and assault rifles did a complete 180 between the two games but they did.

Did we play the same BL1? Double Anarchy and Hellfire were both insane.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

We talked about this a few pages back, I think. Basically, yes.

The only assault rifles that can be used are Torgue rocket rifles or Vladov blasters, imo. If you're very lucky, you might find a bandit Ar that doesnt suck too hard in accuracy and has a big-rear end mag. But that's pretty much it.

Most SMGs do a better job at being Ar's, plasma casters are especially rad.
My Gunzerker was using a band slag e-tech AR that I could fit most of my ammo capacity into for a while as an off-hand for gunzerking. Bandit weapons can get crazy ammo capacities.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Yip Yips posted:

Double Anarchy in the first game I think filled a shotgun role, at least for me it did. :hellyeah:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Yip Yips posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember in the pre-release BL2 threads talking about how much better SMGs were than rifles in the first game and what a relief it was they were going to fix that in 2. :v:

Though they did at least eliminate the confusing sort-of divide between rifles and machine guns.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I have yet to find an E-tech SMG despite finding a ton of every other type. I thought they didn't even exist until now. :aaaaa:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The big box machineguns from BL1 were loving awesome and no one will convince me otherwise. :colbert: Ogre and Serpens were the two best guns Roland could roll with.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Yip Yips posted:

Alright, barring one legendary and one type of smg, assault rifles in the first game were great while smgs in the first on were trash.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fibby Boy posted:

assault rifles in the first game were great while smgs in the first on were trash.

That's still not true?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Fibby Boy posted:

Alright, barring one legendary and one type of smg, assault rifles in the first game were great while smgs in the first on were trash.

It's the other way around really. SMGs in general were way better unless you were able to pick up an Ogre or Serpens. Also anarchies were common drops and hellfires were one of the easiest legendaries to find.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yip Yips posted:

It's the other way around really. SMGs in general were way better unless you were able to pick up an Ogre or Serpens. Also anarchies were common drops and hellfires were one of the easiest legendaries to find.

Purple Vladof machine guns are pretty great too, and not that much rarer than a good Malevolent Stinger or Anarchy. Atlas makes the best purple MGs but those are pretty rare unless you farm the Knoxx DLC for top tier loot.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Yip Yips posted:

I didn't get a hellfire until like the tenth time I killed crawmerax. And anarchy's seemed pretty rare. Like maybe I just had better luck but every assault rifle I found always out damaged smg's for me. gently caress, most of the smg's I found were the thumper variant and those were goddawful. Whereas in this game pistols and smg's out damage every assault rifle I've found so far.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I came back to Boderlands 2 after a long hiatus (basically since october when I beat the game on normal with Axton) and bought the season pass. I'm slogging through TVHM and started Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt DLC but it takes ages to kill anything, wich seems to be working as intended, basically takes 400 AR rounds to kill a single enemy :suicide:. Right now I don't have the patience for a bullshit and pointless grinding (sorry to call it like that but the jump between the end of normal and TVHM is ridiculous). My plan is to level up Salvador (lvl12 right now) and maybe Gaige but I know nothing about this new char and her skilltree is really confusing. Can anyone link me a good guide or some skillsets for both characters?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The DLC in TVHM is scaled to something like level 45, if you're doing it in TVHM coming in fresh from normal mode you're gonna be working way uphill from a massive level disadvantage. You can always switch between normal and TVHM in the character select screen- even if you only have one character after you pick it it asks you which mode you want to boot up in.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I'm slogging through TVHM and started Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt DLC

Go to a travel station and choose either Badass Crater or Oasis. If you're complaining about that one being a slog, then, well, you done hosed up picking that DLC for starters I'm afraid.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
All you need for the Hammerlock DLC is a Hellfire. Literally that's the only gun you'll need for the entire thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Poque posted:

All you need for the Hammerlock DLC is a Hellfire. Literally that's the only gun you'll need for the entire thing.
I found a fire Infinity, maybe I'll wander in there and just never stop shooting it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks, gonna switch DLCs and see what happens. Wichdoctors are a pain in the rear end and one took almost half my AR ammo plus 3 turrets to go down :v:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fibby Boy posted:

I didn't get a hellfire until like the tenth time I killed crawmerax. And anarchy's seemed pretty rare. Like maybe I just had better luck but every assault rifle I found always out damaged smg's for me. gently caress, most of the smg's I found were the thumper variant and those were goddawful. Whereas in this game pistols and smg's out damage every assault rifle I've found so far.

I picked up multiple Hellfires from shops. But the best smg I ever found was a Double Bitch, it was still more effective than a Hellfire that was spawned 8 levels higher. The Double Bitch lasted my siren from mid 20's to late 40's - when I found my second Hellfire.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
If they are upping the health of these guys they drat well better up the efficiency of elemental effects. Slag is nice, but I've survived so far with a torque pistol and shock weaponry. :science:

With my current zero build I have my active cooldown down to 7.75 seconds, and my active contains a level 10 Unf0rseen explosion, kunai, and if I wait the full five seconds I get a huge damaging shot. The only time slag comes into play is if I randomly roll slag kunai. My whole build currently banks on the fact that five kunai is usually enough to put down anything short of a constructor or warloader. This 4X health thing sounds like the end of a fun build.

Which reminds me, I really wish they added an AOE slag grenade. I can understand why they couldn't do an explosive one, but slag should be simple.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
They didn't say how player weapons/health/shield will scale, did they?

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

Dukeofdummies posted:

I really wish they added an AOE slag grenade. I can understand why they couldn't do an explosive one, but slag should be simple.

I find Slagged Bouncing Bettes do a pretty good job of slagging lots of enemies, but that's probably the closest you'll get.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

For a second there I thought you were talking about BL2, and I really wanted an x2 Bitch. :fap:

Also, There are worthwhile assault rifles in BL2, they're just few and far between. I ran across a plain jane Vladof rifle with an Angry prefix in Arid Nexus last night. 11 Fire rate, 90+ accuracy, 50+ clip. Shredded everything I pointed it at, while the SMGs were were finding were all kind of awful. Didn't even have the Minigun barrel.

Aside from that, Torgue Rifle/Lance/Spitter rifles are a staple of my playstyle.

I think the only decent manufacturers for ARs are Vladof and Torgue, which makes finding a good one that much harder.

Dukeofdummies posted:

Which reminds me, I really wish they added an AOE slag grenade. I can understand why they couldn't do an explosive one, but slag should be simple.

Not used a MIRV in a while? :v:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 31, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Also, There are worthwhile assault rifles in BL2, they're just few and far between. I ran across a plain jane Vladof rifle with an Angry prefix in Arid Nexus last night. 11 Fire rate, 90+ accuracy, 50+ clip. Shredded everything I pointed it at, while the SMGs were were finding were all kind of awful. Didn't even have the Minigun barrel.

My favorite rifles have been Vladofs with the standard Vladof barrel. I had a Rabid one in blue that put out an unboosted 11 fire rate, though the accuracy wasn't much to write home about. Torgues with the Dahl barrel (Roots, I think they're called) are pretty fun as well. ARs aren't the most Statistically Optimal but their stability with a fast fire rate is a blast to play with- Dahls, Torgues and Vladofs all shining in their own ways. I unlocked a purple Jakobs cannon with the Torgue barrel from the gold key chest and that is a lot of fun to lob bombs with.

ARs are guns for when you're comfortable enough that you can show off your abilities a little and not rely so much on the gun itself to carry you through a fight. They're neat.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dukeofdummies posted:

If they are upping the health of these guys they drat well better up the efficiency of elemental effects. Slag is nice, but I've survived so far with a torque pistol and shock weaponry. :science:

With my current zero build I have my active cooldown down to 7.75 seconds, and my active contains a level 10 Unf0rseen explosion, kunai, and if I wait the full five seconds I get a huge damaging shot. The only time slag comes into play is if I randomly roll slag kunai. My whole build currently banks on the fact that five kunai is usually enough to put down anything short of a constructor or warloader. This 4X health thing sounds like the end of a fun build.

Have you noticed if Death Mark stacks with Slag?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like Torgue (and only torgue) assault rifles. There's just something about them that even though I can really effectively snipe with zero with an actual sniper rifle, I tend to go back to using the torgue AR when I'm just cutting through regular mooks. I think it may have to do with the increased bullet speed that zero's skills bestow. Plus, they look pretty cool too (yeah, I factor this in to my play occasionally).

Edit: Now that I think about it, I get some good utility out of Vladof elemental AR's as well. They also, not coincidentally, look cool.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How someone "grinds" gear for TVHM? In Diablo 2/3 you basically start a game to a point so you can kill a boss over and over and over if you want. But this game looks like you can only create a new playthrough if you want to fight a boss, or I'm missing it completely. I'm level 39 now (I know its a long way until I reach 50) but I'd love to know where to get or at least try, certain weapons/gear since mine is quite outdated.

VVVVVV :doh: I never went back to a zone unless I had a quest, so I never realised that, thanks!

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 31, 2013

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Pretty much every boss respawns after you finish the mission they are associated with.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

AirRaid posted:

I think the only decent manufacturers for ARs are Vladof and Torgue, which makes finding a good one that much harder.

That's been my overall experience, although Dahl guns can be nice, especially at long range. The spinigun varaints have low accuracy but can rack up headshots at a ridiculous rate.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

That's been my overall experience, although Dahl guns can be nice, especially at long range. The spinigun varaints have low accuracy but can rack up headshots at a ridiculous rate.

Confirm on the Dahl spiniguns- they fire an extremely tight-spread fast burst of around 9 shots- they're pretty fun, especially if you can get one with a scope.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Well drat. Now I need to complete every quest all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Vakal posted:

Have you noticed if Death Mark stacks with Slag?

The few times I messed with death mark weren't very scientific. You can't hit the dummy in sanctuary with melee, so you can't really crunch the numbers. Or rather you can, but they won't wait as you do the math. Not to mention by the time you're in melee range a torgue shotgun usually does the trick and the additional 40% is some serious overkill.

... but now that I'm thinking about it, torque doesn't pierce with bore. A regular shotgun is about 40-60% less damaging, so with a regular shotgun and deathmark you could blast the guy in front of you to bits. I think this also means that the the shots that went trough your gibbed acquaintance double that already increased value, then if you add slag to the mix... :crossarms: (is that really the mathiest looking smiley available?)

damnit I was supposed to go out tonight. This sounds like a possibly amusing build.

• Locked thread