Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Let me put it this way. I was given this set of irons about 10 years ago. They are Wilson Fatshafts. I have finally gotten serious about golf in the last year, and have since gone from atrocious, to consistently shooting in the high 90's. I'm going to devote more time this year, so I EXPECT that I will continue to improve. At this point in my golfing career, is it beneficial to upgrade my irons? If so, what should I be looking at? Should I be looking into game improvement irons that will last me a few years, or something higher quality that can last a decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Let me put it this way. I was given this set of irons about 10 years ago. They are Wilson Fatshafts. I have finally gotten serious about golf in the last year, and have since gone from atrocious, to consistently shooting in the high 90's. I'm going to devote more time this year, so I EXPECT that I will continue to improve. At this point in my golfing career, is it beneficial to upgrade my irons? If so, what should I be looking at? Should I be looking into game improvement irons that will last me a few years, or something higher quality that can last a decade?

At the very least go get fitted somewhere so you know if you should be looking at graphite shafts/steel shafts and if you should get your clubs lengthened and the likes. Decide on a budget if you're going to get a new set and then have whoever fitted you recommend some sets. A new properly fitted set of clubs will make an almost immediate difference in your game regardless of the brand.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

A new properly fitted set of clubs will make an almost immediate difference in your game regardless of the brand.

This. Golf clubs in terms of durability aren't really anything to worry about. Set yourself a budget first and then see what a pro would recommend. Find out where your swing should be through lessons or instruction, then have a set of clubs built for you. Not having to adjust your swing to the club (because you're too tall, etc) makes a world of difference.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mattfl posted:

At the very least go get fitted somewhere so you know if you should be looking at graphite shafts/steel shafts and if you should get your clubs lengthened and the likes. Decide on a budget if you're going to get a new set and then have whoever fitted you recommend some sets. A new properly fitted set of clubs will make an almost immediate difference in your game regardless of the brand.

Cool, thank you. Is it possible to get fitted without intending to purchase clubs from the same place? How do I know whoever I'm talking about actually knows about golf and isn't just trying to push clubs on me for a commission?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

Cool, thank you. Is it possible to get fitted without intending to purchase clubs from the same place? How do I know whoever I'm talking about actually knows about golf and isn't just trying to push clubs on me for a commission?

You can always ask for an estimate for the fitting/build, then check somewhere else.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Golfsmith has a deal for like $20 where they will fit you and obviously try and sell you clubs. If you wind up buying clubs the fitting is free otherwise, $20. You'll see all the fancy data on the monitors they have. When I went and got fitted I spent 2 hours with the guy and he explained every little detail to me. I did tell them straight up, I'm looking to buy clubs today, here's my budget, my game is at this point and I want it to be at this point etc etc so I'm sure he was a little more helpful than usual.

edit: My bad

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/display/?page=ps/custom-fit

Their basic fitting is free. This should give you a base line as to what you need though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bubba is officially my new favorite golfer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u_2bGPdUY

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Bubba is officially my new favorite golfer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u_2bGPdUY

Was about to post this. I want to see him ride it around Augusta :allears:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

RCarr posted:

Should I be looking into game improvement irons that will last me a few years, or something higher quality that can last a decade?

This is a common misconception with modern equipment(and you probably didn't mean it this way), but game improvement irons don't really fall short of player's irons in terms of build quality or durability or anything like that. In fact, most game improvement irons are not forged and will therefore probably last longer than the 'higher quality' forged irons. Nowadays the top game improvement irons are very close in price point to player's irons. Taking PING for example you can get a set of their newest player's irons(S56) for $899 compared to their newest model game improvement(G25) for....$899. Then you look at their i20's, which are a great compromise between game improvement and players irons and they are $999.

I would also wager that there is a lot more R&D and technology in today's game improvement irons than there are in the players irons. Which makes sense, since 90% of golfers probably should be playing game improvement.

Although it often seems like it, there shouldn't be any negative connotations with today's game improvement irons. They are looking better and better as years go on, smaller toplines, more compact clubheads, more technology, etc..

Game improvement is also a very broad term nowadays, club manufacturers are offering more and more non-blade type irons than ever, clubs like the i20's and the Taylor Made Rocketbladez are definitely in a niche in between the classic game improvement shovels from years past and the classic blades that can still be found from companies like Mizuno and Titleist(others as well). I think for someone who is a moderately decent ballstriker this offers an attractive option for a club that launches pretty high and is pretty forgiving while still leaving a lot of room for the player to 'grow into' them.

Of course it would not hurt to buy something like a G25 set of irons and upgrade in 2-3 years as your game improves. You should be able to sell your irons for 1/3-1/2 of what you paid for them(if you bought new), and if you buy used you will almost have enough for your next set :).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mattfl posted:

Am I missing something in this conversation?

I see TaylorMade, Cleveland, Callaway, Adams with iron sets under $400.

I should have probably clarified, when I said new I meant never used AND newest model. It's definitely possible to find new irons from previous generations around $400, although you will sometimes run into inventory shortages.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So I got my first 9 in this season on saturday. Didn't keep score, played with my dad for his birthday at Gull Haven on Long Island (public course, nothing special).

All in all, I've been very happy with how I'm progressing, my dad tells me I have a great swing and I can connect with the ball pretty well, most of the time. I skull sometimes and hack other times. I'm still a beginner. But I can stay even headed and I don't let bad shots ruin my day.

Anyway, a while ago, I was having trouble lifting the ball and flopping it when i get close. My dad said, try to keep the ball towards my front foot more when lining up. I'm also realizing that it's easier to hit a full club than try to pull back on one. So on the last hole of the day, I'm about 80-90 yards out from the green and I decided to grab my 56 degree wedge, and I lined up with the ball about 3 inches in front of my front foot (I've never done anything like this before, I wasn't even sure I could connect) and I lobbed that thing loving perfectly (dead drop stop) about 3 feet from the hole with a full hard swing. Goddamn that felt really great and a good way to finish the day.

Can't wait for the weather to really pick up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

But I can stay even headed and I don't let bad shots ruin my day.

This is seriously like 75% of how to improve. I'm a competitive guy and it's easy for me to let bad shots get under my skin, which will unravel the rest of my round. If I can laugh it off, then I just drop a stroke or two.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DJExile posted:

This is seriously like 75% of how to improve. I'm a competitive guy and it's easy for me to let bad shots get under my skin, which will unravel the rest of my round. If I can laugh it off, then I just drop a stroke or two.

The way I look at it is, when I hit a good shot, most of the time I have no idea how or what I did to make it right, so when I hit a bad shot I have the same mindset. It just happens and I need to work on my consistency.

Plus I work in an office all day in front of a computer, how mad can I get being outside in the sun with family and friends, maybe sneaking in a one hitter or beer here and there.

Oh, and I don't really watch pro golf because those guys are wizards and make it look way too easy.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I watch too much golf on TV, but I watch a lot of players and how they line up shots, how their bodies move, head stays centered, weight shift etc. I know what I need to practice when I'm playing or at the range.

Problem is when I get out there, sometimes I look like that dad from that commercial trying to throw a ball to his son like its a shot put.

But no matter how bad I play its still fun because I'm outside golfing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

So I got my first 9 in this season on saturday. Didn't keep score, played with my dad for his birthday at Gull Haven on Long Island (public course, nothing special).

What's up Long Island golfing goon. Do you live on LI? Where do you usually play?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Anyone in the San Diego area have any favorite public courses in the <$40 range (with cart)? Meeting up with some friends next weekend down there and looking to golf somewhere that's appropriate for a group of guys who will probably shoot in higher 90s.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

RCarr posted:

What's up Long Island golfing goon. Do you live on LI? Where do you usually play?

I live in Brooklyn but in the summertime we usually are out every weekend staying with my parent..i mean, IN OUR SUMMER HOME on the south shore near Babylon.

I usually play Gullhaven and the Brentwood public courses. I kind of want to try the Marine Park course in Brooklyn (or maybe it's in Queens, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on down there) if it's still there, post Sandy. I also hear the Douglaston public course is decent too. As for Nassau I have no idea what's there.

I also like to play the Robert Moses par 3 to work on my short game, but I have no idea if it's still there (I saw the overhead shots of the beach and it's pretty heartbreaking to see most of the fields basically gone). The Heartland par 3 is challenging as hell for a small course too.

How about you?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I picked up a couple of lefty irons for cheap and went to the range.

Almost everything went straight :stare:

I felt like my body was turning more naturally though the swing.... I might be a lefty.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

shyduck posted:

I felt like my body was turning more naturally though the swing.... I might be a lefty.

Welcome to the club!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

shyduck posted:

Welcome to the greatest and most resourceful, since the vast majority of golf shops carry only about a quarter of lefty stuff as opposed to righty (and some manufacturers--YES, THAT'S RIGHT, gently caress YOU BRIDGESTONE, WHO HAVE DECIDED THAT WE CANNOT HAVE YOUR APPARENTLY AWESOME AND AFFORDABLE DRIVERS AND FORGED IRONS BECAUSE WE'RE DIFFERENT, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY'RE A MASSIVE COMPANY THAT CAN JUST MAKE LH MACHINERY A LINE-ITEM OUT OF THE TIRE R&D BUDGET--don't even make lefty gear) group of golfers in the world.

Dues are a fifth of Buffalo Trace every month, sent to PO Box 350, Boston, Mass, 02134.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

supersteve posted:

Anyone in the San Diego area have any favorite public courses in the <$40 range (with cart)? Meeting up with some friends next weekend down there and looking to golf somewhere that's appropriate for a group of guys who will probably shoot in higher 90s.

Carlton Oaks in Santee is a fun course and not too crowded since Santee is sort of gross. When I lived in SD, I used to drive out there and play the hell out of it on weekdays and once my buddy and I finished 18 holes in about 2 hrs.

You could get out on Saturday after 1pm for $49 with cart.

http://www.carltonoaksgolf.com/golf/

Courses like Oceanside are fun too, but way more crowded. I don't think anything will be cheaper than $40 on a weekend and most resort type places are over $100 now. Some SD goons will chime in with some crazy deals somewhere I'm sure.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Is there a favorite/recommended site to book tee times in general?

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Golfnow.com plus whatever local services you have. For instance, in the SF bay area, there's golfzing.com that does teetimes for half a dozen good courses and will also let you book on a couple private courses.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

shyduck posted:

Congrats. Wish i was. Lefty clubs can be had cheap online. I'm jealous.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FML. A set of new in box Titleist 680 3-PW sold for $100 and I would have had no problem paying $150 for them. I had this on my watch list but my phone was dead when the auction was ending so I didn't get a notification to place a last minute bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151021596164

Who the hell has a new in box set of irons from 8 years ago? My only, ONLY consolation is that the shafts were probably S300 which doesn't really fit my swing these days.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
What the Christ? $100, never been hit Titleist blades? 8 years old or not, those must be fake or stolen, methinks.

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

There's a special place in hell reserved for people who outbid you by $1 with 20 seconds left in the auction.

:negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

What the Christ? $100, never been hit Titleist blades? 8 years old or not, those must be fake or stolen, methinks.
Faking 8 year old clubs doesn't make sense. I messaged the seller about the shafts yesterday and he said he didn't know what kind they were. His auction history doesn't show any other golf stuff. Which still begs the question, where did they come from? Even if they're stolen, they're not a car so it's fine by me.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I think you people have infected me. I threw an $80 bid on this on a lark, even though 9.5 loft probably isn't a good fit for my newbie swing, and won it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/taylormade-burner-2-0-driver-/251251294000

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Who the hell has a new in box set of irons from 8 years ago? My only, ONLY consolation is that the shafts were probably S300 which doesn't really fit my swing these days.

That was either a rejected gift for someone or stolen, I'd bet.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Considering the recent fawning over 2 irons I thought it best to share with you all this ad I found in my local ad-dealy.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...QAdIdZ463730649

Never bought from this guy or anything, usual buyer beware blah blah. I just thought a few of you folks might enjoy this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doctafun, you asked me a while back and I never answered, but those Mizuno Skintite gloves are amazing. A lot of gloves I've worn seem to twist or bunch up a little and need to be adjusted, but these have been perfect so far through 1 round and 3 driving range trips. I should have snagged a few more while they were so cheap.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Sir Bedevere posted:

Considering the recent fawning over 2 irons I thought it best to share with you all this ad I found in my local ad-dealy.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...QAdIdZ463730649

Never bought from this guy or anything, usual buyer beware blah blah. I just thought a few of you folks might enjoy this.

I can't imagine getting a 1 iron up in the air, at all :lol: I suppose that is the point though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zinc68 posted:

I can't imagine getting a 1 iron up in the air, at all :lol: I suppose that is the point though.
Things are different now that the ball spins less. Back in 1999, I carried driver, 3w, 2-PW, SW, LW, and putter. After a short while, I swapped the 2 iron out for a 1 iron (I received a one time outside gift of 1-PW for Christmas 1998) since I primarily used the 2 iron off the tee and I figured, why not go for a little more distance? My 1 iron was fantastic in that role and every once in a while I'd use it to go for a par 5 in two. When I eventually went to a 5 wood, I switched to 2 + 4-PW instead of 3-PW, again because of the increase in distance off the tee, but once I started buying and selling clubs in 2005, I defaulted to 3-PW since that's what you find used.

These days, I would never consider playing a 1 iron, but I'm glad to see the resurgence of 2 iron utility clubs in the bags of pros.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Just got a black Ogio Grom XX bag because I wanna be like Doctafun.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My quest for shirts for non-fatties appears to have ended and it ends with Puma and (unfortunately because they're perfect but expensive as heck)Travis Mathew.

The Puma shirts are a little big but much better than the other brands I have and the Travis Mathew shirts look like they're tailored for me. Unfortunately they cost like $80 retail so I'll have to do some waiting and creative shopping to get them at a reasonable price.

Off to Hilton Head tomorrow for a long weekend, can't wait.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Shrapnac posted:

My quest for shirts for non-fatties appears to have ended and it ends with Puma and (unfortunately because they're perfect but expensive as heck)Travis Mathew.

The Puma shirts are a little big but much better than the other brands I have and the Travis Mathew shirts look like they're tailored for me. Unfortunately they cost like $80 retail so I'll have to do some waiting and creative shopping to get them at a reasonable price.

Off to Hilton Head tomorrow for a long weekend, can't wait.

GPPGolf.com frequently has sales on Travis Mathew and some other premium/more tailored-looking/slim-cut brands, like J. Lindeberg. They usually don't have a huge selection since they seem to run the sales only to clear out the last few pieces of inventory on random things, but I've found some good stuff there.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

Doctafun, you asked me a while back and I never answered, but those Mizuno Skintite gloves are amazing. A lot of gloves I've worn seem to twist or bunch up a little and need to be adjusted, but these have been perfect so far through 1 round and 3 driving range trips. I should have snagged a few more while they were so cheap.

DJExile posted:

Just got a black Ogio Grom XX bag because I wanna be like Doctafun.

:getin: I really like my Grom, since I got my push cart I don't have to worry that it's a little bit heavier than the ultralight bags out there. Absolutely LOVE the zipperless ball pocket too, people are amazed at how fast I'm 'hittin 3 off the tee' without having to unzip that baby.

Glad to hear the Skintite's are good, I got like 10 of them and they fit me great. Is there any better feeling than getting to the first tee and putting on a brand new golf glove? And then putting a brand new ball on your tee?

And then hitting that ball straight into the woods?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
The days are finally long enough in Seattle to get off work at 4:30, jet to West Seattle GC and get in 12-15 holes. Goddamn does it make up for a lovely day to go play golf until its dark.

The only problem is not having time to warm up so my first 4 holes are almost always double bogeys until I can get into a rhythm. On the last 10 holes it was a string of bogeys followed by 2 pars and a double bogey, exactly where I wanted to end this year at a bogey handicap, hopefully I can exceed that goal or at least maintain some sort of consistency.

Oh poo poo, last weekend I played with an dude of 64 who qualified for the Senior open a couple years ago. Spent the round telling me stories about playing with Gary Player and Fred Couples and the like while launching the ball right down the middle 250+ and chipping the ball within a yard consistently. I'm pretty sure he shot under par, but I didn't know if its kosher to ask a dude you get paired up with his/her score(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

The days are finally long enough in Seattle to get off work at 4:30, jet to West Seattle GC and get in 12-15 holes. Goddamn does it make up for a lovely day to go play golf until its dark.

The only problem is not having time to warm up so my first 4 holes are almost always double bogeys until I can get into a rhythm. On the last 10 holes it was a string of bogeys followed by 2 pars and a double bogey, exactly where I wanted to end this year at a bogey handicap, hopefully I can exceed that goal or at least maintain some sort of consistency.

Oh poo poo, last weekend I played with an dude of 64 who qualified for the Senior open a couple years ago. Spent the round telling me stories about playing with Gary Player and Fred Couples and the like while launching the ball right down the middle 250+ and chipping the ball within a yard consistently. I'm pretty sure he shot under par, but I didn't know if its kosher to ask a dude you get paired up with his/her score(?).

An after round, "You played great, whaddya shoot today?" is always OK IMO.

• Locked thread