Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I hope high rank gets a bit easier later on because right now it's taking me almost half an hour to kill any of the subspecies. I beat Tri to death and don't remember having this much difficulty at any point in that game except with Diablos the first time I went up against him.

I don't really know what to do to be honest, I made Jaggi armor and gemmed it for attack up L. I have the best low-rank weapons I can get, but I'm always missing some piece from another unrelated monster I don't even have access to yet when trying to upgrade any further (gently caress volvi carapaces, seriously). I'm stuck on Pink Rathian right now, tried HH, hammer, lance, and long sword but I just can't kill it. It takes forever and eventually I just get unlucky and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xavier434 posted:

Counter point: If we could just pick the traps back up then that would remove almost all elements of skill related to trap positioning. While failure in this area can be quite annoying, success can also feel very gratifying. For me, that directly ties into the "fun" you are talking about.

See, that's a good argument with mechanical reasons. Like I said, once I realized I could bring bomb making materials with me and craft more, it wasn't so bad. Its just when it felt like you had 1 or 2 chances to capture a monster or welp, start over!

On the other hand, the "cursed tables" DO seem like just out-right bad game design. Have they admitted its a bug yet? I feel like the tables should be randomly selected, not locked to your character forever. What's the logic there?

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Not going ask you to play a different way than you do for fun, but it ought to be mentioned that capturing is usually the way to get a higher yield of rewards for almost any non-Elder Dragon hunt.

I personally don't find it annoying to have to capture rather than kill--in fact, with the excessive amount of elder dragon kills I've had to do in Frontier, I find capture quests to be slightly more fun, for what it's worth.

I have heard that. Luckily I've been playing more online now and with 4 people its much easier to capture, "oh poo poo I wasted my trap, does anybody else have one?" isn't nearly as bad as "oh gently caress I wasted a trap, better abandon quest".

After those complaints, I'll voice more praise for the game. I absolutely LOVE all the monster variety, its a nice 1/3rd dinosaurs, 1/3rd dragons, and 1/3rd other monsterous wtfs. I especially like the subspecies variants and how they differ from the main species in some key ways, while also remaining similar. Gives the game tons of great variety.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 2, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
They've made an error with the Diablos' model. It should be a brick wall that smashes you in the face until everyone is dead.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Office Thug posted:

I hope high rank gets a bit easier later on because right now it's taking me almost half an hour to kill any of the subspecies. I beat Tri to death and don't remember having this much difficulty at any point in that game except with Diablos the first time I went up against him.

I don't really know what to do to be honest, I made Jaggi armor and gemmed it for attack up L. I have the best low-rank weapons I can get, but I'm always missing some piece from another unrelated monster I don't even have access to yet when trying to upgrade any further (gently caress volvi carapaces, seriously). I'm stuck on Pink Rathian right now, tried HH, hammer, lance, and long sword but I just can't kill it. It takes forever and eventually I just get unlucky and die.

It's an uphill climb until you hit Brachydios. Up to and including him, in fact. Once you can make a Slime weapon, though? Yeah, the rest of High Rank will kneel before you and you can start speed-killing things, especially if you go for a faster weapon to apply the slime with. Once you hit that point, things feel great. Towards the end, you start realizing that oh poo poo, 9-stars is as high as it goes here, I'll be off to Tanzia soon, I should assemble gear now. And that's what you should do. Finish Moga out, get together some weapons to hold you in early G-Rank, get an armor set or three made and upgraded as far as you can go, and you'll be golden.

Get some Great Wroggi armor. It'll serve you well and keep the poison off you, which'll help for the Rath duo, Purple Ludroth, Gigginix, and any small Wroggis that take potshots at you. Getting poisoned randomly is a pain in the butt. Immunity is nice to have. Great Wroggi armor has the added benefit of being super easy to farm, since he doesn't have much health. You won't be committing to 25-35 minute wars just to get a piece of armor.

Ignore Pinkie for now if you can - she's a bit of a difficulty spike. Once you can't be poisoned by her, you can tank with a shielded weapon pretty easily. Patience is the key to that one more than just about any other. Pink Rathian is pissed off almost as much as Zinogre or Jho. Bring flash bombs to knock her out of the air, bring traps and bombs, and don't get hasty.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm up to the 8 star single player hunts (just unlocked Brachydios) and honestly I don't know if I want to make a slime weapon. The thread really makes it sound like it's easy mode or something, it seems like it might be more fun to avoid it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

On the other hand, the "cursed tables" DO seem like just out-right bad game design. Have they admitted its a bug yet? I feel like the tables should be randomly selected, not locked to your character forever. What's the logic there?

In P3rd they rolled every time you loaded your save, so that's probably what was supposed to happen here.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Orfeo posted:

:negative:

God, it's hard hearing you all enjoy yourselves. I'd love to hop in online, but I have absolutely no plans on acquiring a WiiU. Has anyone announced any plans to create ad-hoc tunneling software for 3DS multiplayer, or am I just out of luck?

Capcom did, but again you need a Wii U.

I'd imagine Xlink Kai is still a thing yes?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KimT posted:

I'm up to the 8 star single player hunts (just unlocked Brachydios) and honestly I don't know if I want to make a slime weapon. The thread really makes it sound like it's easy mode or something, it seems like it might be more fun to avoid it.

I haven't made one yet either, because the thread makes it sound like a requirement.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Office Thug posted:

I've been using a bow (the bnahabra bows are really good and easy to get) and 300 lightning damage vs any rath-type monster is really, really simple and quick. I'm using high rank jaggi armor (again, it's super easy to make) gemmed into attack L and some extra health. It's not a cakewalk, but I'm having no trouble.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I think slime is stupidly strong but I still keep some weapons around for unfun fights like ceadeus.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Carecat posted:

They've made an error with the Diablos' model. It should be a brick wall that smashes you in the face until everyone is dead.

Bring pit traps, sonic bombs, and a slime weapon -- Explosions are pretty much guarenteed to destroy his horn, and you only need to do it twice and cut his tail.

I'll be honest in that I've been ignoring his tail cut since it's so hard to hit for me (SnS), but opening the fight with a pitfall trap and getting a dozen solid hits on his head is a great way to start the fight. If he digs, pull him back up with a sonic bomb and continue wailing on him.

From what I can tell he actually has pretty low HP, it's just that he's really mobile and hits like a truck carrying a litter of smaller trucks. I've actually given up on using offensive meals (Meat+Cola for Felyine Pyro) into using defensive ones (Bread+Fish for Felyine Divine Protection(Hi) and +50 Hp and Def (M?)) when fighting him; since surviving two or three big hits from him is a bit more important than trying to get some extra damage on him while you can.

I've been told you can get his horns stuck in the wall, but I'm unfamiliar with this process -- Can somoene elaborate on this?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Colapops posted:

I've been using a bow (the bnahabra bows are really good and easy to get) and 300 lightning damage vs any rath-type monster is really, really simple and quick. I'm using high rank jaggi armor (again, it's super easy to make) gemmed into attack L and some extra health. It's not a cakewalk, but I'm having no trouble.

I think I've just broken through the adjustment phase of fighting subspecies and the same LR monsters in High Rank. I put together the Zinogre switch axe and upgraded it to its 966 weapon 240 lightning damage, wearing the full Rathalos S gemmed for Attack up L and Critical Eye +1. At least on Raths and other things weak against thunder, it's not a 15-20 minute slog anymore. Monsters that are new to me still pound me unmercifully, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

I have the lance with sleep on it but it seems not so good
I havent been able to put anything to sleep with it. Every 3 or so hit has a puff of smoke on it, but I have killed all the bosses before putting them to sleep. Is there a trick to it?

The trick is to get a better sleep weapon! Really, sleep weapons aren't worth it at all unless you're bringing bombs too. The main advantage of sleep is it immobilizes the monsters and causes the next hit they take to deal 3x damage. So if you put two large barrel bomb+s right next to the enemies head you can deal a massive amount of damage. If you just poke them again with your lance you'd almost certainly have been better off bringing a different weapon.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

Bring pit traps, sonic bombs, and a slime weapon -- Explosions are pretty much guarenteed to destroy his horn, and you only need to do it twice and cut his tail.

I'll be honest in that I've been ignoring his tail cut since it's so hard to hit for me (SnS), but opening the fight with a pitfall trap and getting a dozen solid hits on his head is a great way to start the fight. If he digs, pull him back up with a sonic bomb and continue wailing on him.

From what I can tell he actually has pretty low HP, it's just that he's really mobile and hits like a truck carrying a litter of smaller trucks. I've actually given up on using offensive meals (Meat+Cola for Felyine Pyro) into using defensive ones (Bread+Fish for Felyine Divine Protection(Hi) and +50 Hp and Def (M?)) when fighting him; since surviving two or three big hits from him is a bit more important than trying to get some extra damage on him while you can.

I've been told you can get his horns stuck in the wall, but I'm unfamiliar with this process -- Can somoene elaborate on this?

When she's far enough away from you, she will charge at you (or another target) and when near enough she'll slam her horns down into the ground and then rake upwards. If she hits someone with this attack, she stops and that's it. However, if she misses, she'll keep charging forward. If she hits a wall, she will get stuck in it and you have a few seconds to smash her head in. This can be difficult due to positioning because sometimes she'll be so close to a wall you can't actually get to her horns. She can also slide off the wall, sort of, and won't get stuck. It's just video game screwiness sometimes.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is it an actual scripted thing or is it just her being buggy? If it's scripted, does she still need her horns?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Diablos getting stuck in walls is definately a scripted thing, but you have to make sure that the walls you are trying to get her to run into are ledges that you can climb up on. These are the only walls that diablos can get stuck in. Also make sure that they're doing a proper charge where they'd do that thing where they throw their horns up in the air at the end, not the one where they change directions and charge again.

And yes, they still need to have at least one horn left to catch them on a wall.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Diablos getting stuck in walls is definately a scripted thing, but you have to make sure that the walls you are trying to get her to run into are ledges that you can climb up on. These are the only walls that diablos can get stuck in. Also make sure that they're doing a proper charge where they'd do that thing where they throw their horns up in the air at the end, not the one where they change directions and charge again.

And yes, they still need to have at least one horn left to catch them on a wall.

This isn't true at all. She can get stuck in almost any wall: it's just a toss-up as to whether or not she'll "stick" based on what angle she hits it at/if there's a slope at the bottom/etc. I've got her stuck in unwalkable pillars multiple times.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hmm. I may be stuck back in Freedom Unite mechanics then. I generally don't need to wall trap a diablos to break their horns any more :shobon:

Also I have vague memories of seeing a diablos stuck in one of those pillars from Tri or P3rd but I can't remember for sure. Usually they topple over if a monster so much as sneezes near them.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Speedboat Jones posted:

Monsters that are new to me still pound me unmercifully, though.

Cherish these fights. After you've been playing these games for a while every monster gets a little routine. My first Brachy fight was magical but he only took a day to reach chump status :(

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Hmm. I may be stuck back in Freedom Unite mechanics then. I generally don't need to wall trap a diablos to break their horns any more :shobon:

Also I have vague memories of seeing a diablos stuck in one of those pillars from Tri or P3rd but I can't remember for sure. Usually they topple over if a monster so much as sneezes near them.

I'm pretty sure you could get her stuck in non-walkable walls even in FU, but it was sooooo much easier to run around that pillar in the water area and have her try to charge through it and get stuck every time, or hop on a ledge and be invincible and have her try to impale your feet and get stuck. It was a cakewalk to get her stuck in FU, I think it's harder in tri/G.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

ChibiSoma posted:

Very reassuring stuff

That's good to hear, I was starting to think the game might turn into Frontier levels of ridiculousness the way things went.

I finally managed to kill pinkie too, I found out I could make an Iron Striker hammer. I demolished her with it, thank god hammers are still awesome.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
I've played about 45 hours of this game and just hit High Rank, using Brother Flames and Barroth Armor. Absolutely love the game, quickly got hooked on it and I blame the threads on SA for that.

Question for anyone that has any experience though. Wii U Pad vs Wii U Pro Controller, which one controls better? Is there anything even useful with the gamepad? Maybe it's just me but I don't generally have time to look down at the pad while i'm in the middle of a boss fight to see what item I can use or to swap over. I honestly don't use anything on the gamepad except for calling Cha Cha and Kayamba, I had the map on there for a while but it was too much of a pain in the rear end to look down at it when it was barely taking up any room on the tv. I also had the item pouch on there until I hosed up using the wrong item too many times because it wasn't displayed on the TV.

So, gurus, what controller do you all prefer?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Slime is so ridiculous it's kind of sad. Had a buddy try to say like it didn't feel too strong so I had him try and kill a monster with a switch axe that had high base and an element that the monster was weak to instead of using his slime switchaxe. Took him about 5-10 minutes longer to kill the monster.

It's just kinda sad. I've mostly stayed away from it because I've been playing a gunlance and went for artillery up + attack up + bombadier and focus on three hit combos + shotgun blast and wyvern fire. Still take down even high rank monsters in a reasonable amount of time (Zinogre took about 13 minutes).

EDIT: Slime weapons wouldn't bother me as much if they also didn't almost always have the best damage/sharpness for their tier.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 3, 2013

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012

Bugamol posted:

Slime is so ridiculous it's kind of sad. Had a buddy try to say like it didn't feel too strong so I had him try and kill a monster with a switch axe that had high base and an element that the monster was weak to instead of using his slime switchaxe. Took him about 5-10 minutes longer to kill the monster.

If it took him 5-10 minutes longer then he was doing something very, very, very wrong. I haven't done any testing ('cause im not gonna waste money to make slime weapon) so I don't know which is stronger, but the difference in kill times is maybe few minutes, or less.
Also if hes been using slime swaxe its likely he wasn't focusing hitting weak points and was just hacking away instead.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Man that first Brachy fight made me feel like a badass dude for the first time this game so far. Pretty much everything else has been either easy or something I've done before. Brachy was awesome and fast and had the right balance of gently caress you and fairness that tigrex had in FU. I nearly died a few times but eventually me and my gunhammer brought him to his knees. Now he's capped and off to a monster farm upstate to stud for the rest of his life. God bless you Brachydios.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Multiplayer stream going up for a bit.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/new

Edit: Computer crashed :/

Vallens fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 3, 2013

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
God, I hate Crimson Qurupeco so much. Once I get that last voltstone for my Lagiacrus blade, I'll hope that I'll never have to fight that drat thing again. It'd would be down in fifteen minutes if it didn't call Deviljho all the time.

Once I'm done with Pinkie, I gotta fight Plesioth and I'm not looking forward to fighting that thing. I haven't actually fought it before but apparently, it's a pain in the rear end.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

To Vex a Stranger posted:

I've played about 45 hours of this game and just hit High Rank, using Brother Flames and Barroth Armor. Absolutely love the game, quickly got hooked on it and I blame the threads on SA for that.

Question for anyone that has any experience though. Wii U Pad vs Wii U Pro Controller, which one controls better? Is there anything even useful with the gamepad? Maybe it's just me but I don't generally have time to look down at the pad while i'm in the middle of a boss fight to see what item I can use or to swap over. I honestly don't use anything on the gamepad except for calling Cha Cha and Kayamba, I had the map on there for a while but it was too much of a pain in the rear end to look down at it when it was barely taking up any room on the tv. I also had the item pouch on there until I hosed up using the wrong item too many times because it wasn't displayed on the TV.

So, gurus, what controller do you all prefer?

I've basically configured the pad to hold all the poo poo that won't affect me during battle: map, quick item belt, signal ping, etc. I keep my health gauges on the screen so I never have to look down when fighting. I keep my quick item built always set to whetstone, and use the touch pad for anything else; this makes sure that my dumb-rear end doesn't accidentally through a trap away when i'm trying to grill a steak. So all that sad, I love the Wii-U controller, but it does need some tweaking. I don't have a Wii U Pro, but I used the classic for a bit of Monster Hunter Tri a few years ago, and I imagine it's similar; I prefer the Wii U pad.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Sarpsa posted:

If it took him 5-10 minutes longer then he was doing something very, very, very wrong. I haven't done any testing ('cause im not gonna waste money to make slime weapon) so I don't know which is stronger, but the difference in kill times is maybe few minutes, or less.
Also if hes been using slime swaxe its likely he wasn't focusing hitting weak points and was just hacking away instead.

Yeah I haven't actually found anyone who has done the hard math yet, but in my experience (in G-Rank) slime isn't the 100% always best option. Slime is just always a good option. To be honest I kind of like it that way. It gives you a nice way to progress quickly. Want to get to end-game fast? Just use slime weapons, they will be good regardless, therefore saving you farming up a bunch of different stuff for different monsters. At end-game slime doesn't seem to be the optimal setup (outside of the kelbi bow, which I do think is broken). I've had better results with more standard gear setups than with just using slime. It's still good, but if you want the absolute fastest kill times (without the kelbi bow), building an optimized set that takes advantage of the monsters slicing/impact and elemental weaknesses is still the way to go.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Celery Face posted:

God, I hate Crimson Qurupeco so much. Once I get that last voltstone for my Lagiacrus blade, I'll hope that I'll never have to fight that drat thing again. It'd would be down in fifteen minutes if it didn't call Deviljho all the time.

Once I'm done with Pinkie, I gotta fight Plesioth and I'm not looking forward to fighting that thing. I haven't actually fought it before but apparently, it's a pain in the rear end.

Is Crimson Qurupeco immune to sonics? I know vanilla Qurupeco gets knocked out of singing if you throw one nearby.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So I've been slowly progressing on Freedom Unite, but getting a little frustrated. I mean, I know I'm no master of videogames and this is a hard series, but it sure seems like they threw me into the thick of things pretty quickly and some of these early monsters have been a little rough and huh I wonder why they give me four maps at the start of every run anyway....hey....

Yeah, I've been soloing my way through the multiplayer stuff before doing anything else :negative: Now that I figured out where the real questgiver is, it's going much more smoothly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, can someone explain Slime to me in detail? I've heard that it's overpowered and makes things explode, but pretty much nothing else.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Slime weapons are basically what you use if you want something good against a monster but you're too lazy to farm up something it's actually weak against. As you hit a monster in a spot, it builds up a slime coating. Build it up enough and that spot has an explosion. Usually that means a stagger or outright knockdown of the monster. Which lets you get in more free hits. Which lets more slime buildup.

I made some Dual Swords and I haven't looked back. I'm at the end of Moga HR and they've served me quite well. Probably gonna make Nargacuga gear before shipping off to Tanzia, though.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, can someone explain Slime to me in detail? I've heard that it's overpowered and makes things explode, but pretty much nothing else.

Slime is applied similar to how statuses are applied. Every few hits the slime effect will trigger and a green, yellow or red (depends on how much slime has been applied to the monster cumulatively since the last explosion) splooge of slime will pop up. After a certain amount of slime has been applied to a monster, all the parts which have been slimed (you can slime each seperate hitbox of a monster - eg for brachydios, his head, body, arms, each leg and tail) will explode, dealing a set amount of damage to the parts previously slimed. The rate at which monsters get slimed is only affected by the monsters' resistance to slime, and the amount of damage is only affected by the Bombardier skill.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I don't know whether or not I should feel proud for perfect-killing a plesioth. I used a bow so maybe that's kind of cheating. Either way, when I don't know what a monster is weak to I use a slime weapon. Otherwise I just pick one of my appropriate bows and go to town.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Slime is applied similar to how statuses are applied. Every few hits the slime effect will trigger and a green, yellow or red (depends on how much slime has been applied to the monster cumulatively since the last explosion) splooge of slime will pop up. After a certain amount of slime has been applied to a monster, all the parts which have been slimed (you can slime each seperate hitbox of a monster - eg for brachydios, his head, body, arms, each leg and tail) will explode, dealing a set amount of damage to the parts previously slimed. The rate at which monsters get slimed is only affected by the monsters' resistance to slime, and the amount of damage is only affected by the Bombardier skill.

Jeez, that sounds like it'd be pretty nasty on Dual Swords.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jeez, that sounds like it'd be pretty nasty on Dual Swords.

Using the slime DS is like looking into the face of god.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Can some of you Wii U guys friend me? ShockLobster - I want to start getting some spotpass benefits but I'm not going to plug the terrifyingly stupid Miiverse hordes for it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

Using the slime DS is like looking into the face of god.

Note to self: don't buy this.

5er posted:

Can some of you Wii U guys friend me? ShockLobster - I want to start getting some spotpass benefits but I'm not going to plug the terrifyingly stupid Miiverse hordes for it.

Yeah, sure. Everyone feel free to friend LiizardWiizard as well.

Somehow, LizardWizard was already taken. :psyduck:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I one-shotted my first purple ludroth in sp.
I think im finally getting better at this game. I realized its more about not getting hit than constantly attacking with the lance. I instead of full combos after a block I have been using the counter, A then dodge.
Still think diablos is bullshit. I have to use a bow to kill him or I dont have a chance.

• Locked thread