Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Hello! I'm thinking about picking this game up. I only tried Freedom Unite for an hour or two on my Vita, but I wasn't too impressed - I feel this is because I couldn't get the whole scope of the game just playing solo.

I looked a few pages back, and I haven't seen this asked: I've seen that you can use a Wii U to allow the 3DS version to go online, but can two different people play at the same time? As in, could the 3DS user tether their game to go online while their friend is playing with them on the Wii U? And they can both go online together? Sorry, I haven't seen any specifics on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
So, I've been trying to use the gunlance but couldn't figure it out, and learned about the whole cursed table thing so I started a new game. I still can't figure out how to get it so that I can reload. I'm probably just being an idiot, but I can't seem to find anything online. Can somebody help me out a bit? I'm playing on the 3ds, by the way.

Valleyant fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 3, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just had a strange moment of clarity regarding Deviljho.

I'm slowly working towards Ivory Laggy, so Black Diablos, Steel Uragaan, and somethin' else opened up. While I was fighting Diablos, it hit me - Deviljho's just a slower Diablos with a breath weapon. Even does a shorter version of Jho's headbutt. If I can outmaneuver her enraged quad charges, I can get outta the way of anything Jho can throw at me, surely!

Guess I'll find out soon enough. :ohdear:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I like Jho more because he doesn't get into patterns where he just spins in a circle swinging his tail around indefinitely. I hate that part of fighting Diablos.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
If anyone ever needs any help with HR/G rank quests, feel free to ask me on the IRC. I'm usually willing to help/carry anyone through lower ranked quests.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Valliantstu posted:

So, I've been trying to use the gunlance but couldn't figure it out, and learned about the whole cursed table thing so I started a new game. I still can't figure out how to get it so that I can reload. I'm probably just being an idiot, but I can't seem to find anything online. Can somebody help me out a bit? I'm playing on the 3ds, by the way.

Hold right trigger and press A.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ignimbrite posted:

Slime is applied similar to how statuses are applied. Every few hits the slime effect will trigger and a green, yellow or red (depends on how much slime has been applied to the monster cumulatively since the last explosion) splooge of slime will pop up. After a certain amount of slime has been applied to a monster, all the parts which have been slimed (you can slime each seperate hitbox of a monster - eg for brachydios, his head, body, arms, each leg and tail) will explode, dealing a set amount of damage to the parts previously slimed. The rate at which monsters get slimed is only affected by the monsters' resistance to slime, and the amount of damage is only affected by the Bombardier skill.

The thing about slime weapons is that monsters start to become more resistant to it the more you slime them, so you'll need to hit them a lot more each time you trigger an explosion. That's why I suppose that eventually a higher-damage weapon will be better than a slime weapon, since it'll do constantly high damage consistently over a slime weapon's mediocre damage with the occasional fantastic explosion.
Of course, Felyne Pyro and more than one person using slime invalidates what I just typed.

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I one-shotted my first purple ludroth in sp.
I think im finally getting better at this game. I realized its more about not getting hit than constantly attacking with the lance. I instead of full combos after a block I have been using the counter, A then dodge.
Still think diablos is bullshit. I have to use a bow to kill him or I dont have a chance.

High grade earplugs can definitely be helpful for Diablos as she screams so much, as are sonic bombs when she dives - you can get a lot of free hits in (when not enraged). Get used to seeing how her tail moves - there's a definite pattern to the "double-swipe" action it does - when you see the first part, sneak in on the opposite side of where the tail will go next and stay under the legs. Letting her charge a bit till you see a good solid opening is key - a bad set up and you'll just get charged to death.

I will say that the bow is a great way to break her horns for parts though, just stay close-ish and when you see the 2 turns she'll take to line you up for a charge, let the arrows loose just as that last turn comes to you and then get the gently caress out of the way!

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Calaveron posted:

The thing about slime weapons is that monsters start to become more resistant to it the more you slime them, so you'll need to hit them a lot more each time you trigger an explosion. That's why I suppose that eventually a higher-damage weapon will be better than a slime weapon, since it'll do constantly high damage consistently over a slime weapon's mediocre damage with the occasional fantastic explosion.
Of course, Felyne Pyro and more than one person using slime invalidates what I just typed.

At least in high rank, the brachy weapons are on par with or better than their elemental equivalent in raw.

Even so, I'll probably be maining a narga switchaxe with as much critical eye as I can muster.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This was a thing of beauty just now:

Marquis's Blazon - Gunlance Full Rathalos suit, Artillery +6 charm. Armor gemmed up to Artillery +16. Active skills are Attack Up M, Speed sharpen, Artillery expert, and recovery down. And I picked up Felyne Bombardier from the kitchen skills.

Took out a Jhen in about 15-20 minutes, forgot to take down my clear time. I broke one of his tusks, blew up both holes in his fin, and broke the skin on his left arm before reaching final showdown. Also used the two temp large barrel bombs from the item chest. Artillery expert on a gunlance is just beautiful for boosting Gunlance's wyvernfire and letting you use it more often. This is my new Jhen farming set. :swoon: At least until I decide on making a Dios suit for bomb boost.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I just jemmed it into my wroggi set. Bombboost is pretty easy to obtain, actually.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I know it is. All it takes is 10. But there's not enough in this armor set for it. If I do Dios armor and my Artillery charm I'll have Artillery Expert and Bomb Boost.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, why was Junior posing rear end-first next to one of the village boys?! :cry:

And why does the text during the Ivory Lagiacrus credits wobble so much? It's only the right side, too.

So I guess that was almost all of Moga. Deviljho's still to be had - I think I might need one or two more 'kill two big monsters at once' quests before that opens. And then there's getting to Alatreon. That ain't gonna happen. Three monsters, at least two at one, possibly all three if you're slow, all at G-Rank power? No thanks. I'll hold off.

I am not quite two-fifths done with this game at somewhere over 60 hours played. And I have barely made any weapons or armor. Man...

E: Also? Ivory Laggy? Incredibly easy. Deviljho shoulda been the 'final boss' of offline. :colbert:

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 3, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got the rust shard hammer and its knocking rathian off their feet left and right.
I have no problem landing charged attacks on their face, but what combo do I use when they are stunned or laying down?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fauxtool posted:

I just got the rust shard hammer and its knocking rathian off their feet left and right.
I have no problem landing charged attacks on their face, but what combo do I use when they are stunned or laying down?

I tap R into an XXX combo and chain with another R into XXX if there's time. Sometimes I use R with a level 1 charge if there's a lot of distance to close. If you're already in front of the head when the monster flops over then you can just A->XXX. If you have to run all the way around a monster to get to the head then you might only have time for a super pound.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nechronic posted:

I tap R into an XXX combo and chain with another R into XXX if there's time. Sometimes I use R with a level 1 charge if there's a lot of distance to close. If you're already in front of the head when the monster flops over then you can just A->XXX. If you have to run all the way around a monster to get to the head then you might only have time for a super pound.

cool, I was doing x,x roll and I knew that wasnt it.
Does the lvl 3 super pound ignore minor hits? During the animation it looks like I ignore glancing hits from their feet and small mobs

Is there ever a good time to use the spin move besides making people mad in multiplayer?

What is a good set of hammer armor for someone just starting HR?
Bone or rhenopolos seem ok for the "KO king" but low armor. Does it even matter at this point of the game? I have been steamrolling most of the things I meet with rathalos armor and lance anyways

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 3, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Its good for procing status/element damage. Pressing X during a swing makes you do an alternate golf swing. If you're using a pure damage hammer there's not much reason to go for it though.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

So I guess I have wasted 8 hours on my character because he has either the 15, 16 or 17 charm table?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay, I decided to get this yesterday. I'm feeling it way more than my first experience with tri. The combat feels a lot better now that I can control the camera normally and have access to a comfortable controller (seriously, the wii u has its issues but they did a killer job on making the gamepad). I'm only like an hour in though. Is there anything I should know before getting too deep? I don't want to start enjoying it and end up screwing myself over somehow.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

organburner posted:

So I guess I have wasted 8 hours on my character because he has either the 15, 16 or 17 charm table?

It depends on how much you care about rust weapons and charms in general. I am not a min/max kind of guy but I plan to invest a lot of hours into this game so I would be willing to start over even if it meant losing 8 hours. If you feel similar then follow the guide in the OP and try to avoid a cursed table. Don't let it eat at you too much. You will make up that lost time quickly especially since you will probably accomplish the same amount of progress in even less time now that you are seasoned with the game.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
Yeah, it may seem like you lost 8 hours, but you'll find it only takes something like 4 to get back to where you were on subsequent playthroughs.

All the skills you learned fighting the monsters will carry over, and you won't spend wasted time on obtaining weapons and armor you found out you didn't like the first time through.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
When you are stunned or mud/ice covered does it matter what buttons you tap or does it only want the attacks, X and A?

Also for Nibelsnarfs, when I put a shock trap down it rammed through it and broke it. Is that bad luck or does it need to be disabled and a trap deployed on top of it?

What does Fresh mean to meal ingredients?

What are the "EZ" versions of items? The supply crate gave me a Barrel Bomb L and an EZ Barrel Bomb L.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Carecat posted:

When you are stunned or mud/ice covered does it matter what buttons you tap or does it only want the attacks, X and A?

Mario Party the control stick.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Carecat posted:

Also for Nibelsnarfs, when I put a shock trap down it rammed through it and broke it. Is that bad luck or does it need to be disabled and a trap deployed on top of it?

What does Fresh mean to meal ingredients?

What are the "EZ" versions of items? The supply crate gave me a Barrel Bomb L and an EZ Barrel Bomb L.

Fresh ingredients have better chances to give you food skills. EZ Items are Supply Items, they are exactly the same as their normal counterpart, but they disappear after the quest is over. Except I think EZ Barrel Bombs are autopriming, like a Barrel Bomb S.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

darkhand posted:

Fresh ingredients have better chances to give you food skills.

Not sure on the food skills thing, but I do know fresh ingredients will give you a stamina boost which seems less useful than going for higher stars for the bigger health boost and just eating some meat in the mission.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Emalde posted:

Mario Party the control stick.

Think of the poor palms.

darkhand posted:

Fresh ingredients have better chances to give you food skills. EZ Items are Supply Items, they are exactly the same as their normal counterpart, but they disappear after the quest is over. Except I think EZ Barrel Bombs are autopriming, like a Barrel Bomb S.

I think that's just a way of showing that they're temp items. Anti dragon bombs in the Jhen mission self-detonate, but I'm not really sure that the EZ barrel bombs do.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
When is the best time to use the great sword's charged attack?
I found that, unless the monster falls over or is otherwise stationary for a long time, it usually moves away before I can even complete a level 1 swing.
It's even worse when the monster is enraged.

Right now I'm mostly using the X,A,repeat combo, which works but doesn't deal as much damage, though I still get knocked over sometimes when the monster moves too quickly.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

scissorman posted:

I found that, unless the monster falls over or is otherwise stationary for a long time, it usually moves away before I can even complete a level 1 swing.

Right now I'm mostly using the X,A,repeat combo, which works but doesn't deal as much damage, though I still get knocked over sometimes when the monster moves too quickly.

It's all about predicting it. Watch monster moves and practice with the timing. Learn where you can stand to avoid a move while you let the swing charge, and with the right timing the sword will land right where you want it to.

edit: It's been linked a ton of times, but it's like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa2wMvBvpBc

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 3, 2013

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

So if you kill Deviljho in the Kill 10 Jaggia on HR village, you don't get any rewards for breaks or killing him, nor free-hunt bonus money. Just the carves. :mad:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

scissorman posted:

I find a fairly predicable opening for most monsters is when you're to the side of a monster and it has to align itself to face you. It's a predicatable right angel turn for almost all of them, and puts you in perfect position to hit it on the end if the timing is right.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

TalonDemonKing posted:

So if you kill Deviljho in the Kill 10 Jaggia on HR village, you don't get any rewards for breaks or killing him, nor free-hunt bonus money. Just the carves. :mad:

Thank you for saving me the trouble of trying this out. :v:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Hey, someone mentioned that talking to the Guildmaster in the Tavern allows you to change the quests you send your streetpass buiddies onto? How does that work? When I talk to that drunk he just gives me game tips.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Thundercracker posted:

Hey, someone mentioned that talking to the Guildmaster in the Tavern allows you to change the quests you send your streetpass buiddies onto? How does that work? When I talk to that drunk he just gives me game tips.

Did you try the solo tavern?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Thundercracker posted:

I find a fairly predicable opening for most monsters is when you're to the side of a monster and it has to align itself to face you. It's a predicatable right angel turn for almost all of them, and puts you in perfect position to hit it on the end if the timing is right.

What makes this even better is the skill PunishDraw, which adds impact damage and KO to unsheathe attacks. I had an armor set with that and CritDraw in MH3rd, and suddenly my great swords all became hammerswords and I was cutting tails and getting KOs.

Just remember to sheathe your greatsword or you won't find any openings. If you waddle towards the enemy, you won't really accomplish anything. Run up behind them, unsheathe charge, hit them in the face/leg, roll away, resheathe. Combos are mostly for when they fall over.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Argas posted:

Did you try the solo tavern?

Yeah, the solo tavern. It's the tiny dude on the counter by between the guild and arena quest girls right? Is there something I have to do to unlock the option, or just have my streetpass hunter ready to go?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

rhoga posted:

What makes this even better is the skill PunishDraw, which adds impact damage and KO to unsheathe attacks. I had an armor set with that and CritDraw in MH3rd, and suddenly my great swords all became hammerswords and I was cutting tails and getting KOs.

Just remember to sheathe your greatsword or you won't find any openings. If you waddle towards the enemy, you won't really accomplish anything. Run up behind them, unsheathe charge, hit them in the face/leg, roll away, resheathe. Combos are mostly for when they fall over.

Are combos ever worth it anyway? Any time I can get a combo I opt for a L3 charge or two instead, and I figure it would do vastly more damage than some dinky infinite combo swings.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, the solo tavern. It's the tiny dude on the counter by between the guild and arena quest girls right? Is there something I have to do to unlock the option, or just have my streetpass hunter ready to go?

Yeah, it's the small old guy sitting on the counter between the girls. I have no idea, I stumbled upon the option after getting into online High Rank so maybe that has something to do with it.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

Yeah, it's the small old guy sitting on the counter between the girls. I have no idea, I stumbled upon the option after getting into online High Rank so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think that might be it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Using Slime weapons for anything other than free hunt commodity farming is admitting defeat :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Speedboat Jones posted:

I think that might be it.

I had the option long before unlocking High Rank. Though I had streetpassed with two people and had them show up in my solo Tavern area.

• Locked thread