Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

I'm having frame spacing problems on my Pentacon Six TL, is there a way I can fix this myself (other than buying a Hasselblad 500cm) or does it tend to be a job for a repair shop? Pretty sure it's a problem with the film advance mechanism rather than my loading.

Reading around online (seriously this website is the best if you have a P6: http://www.pentaconsix.com/) and examining the marks made by the film advance mechanism on some of my developed film it may be that actually I am just a scrub who can't load film properly. Going to try another roll and be really careful about getting the film nice and tight before I send it off for repairs.

Also I won a scanner on eBay so maybe some time I'll actually post some photographs in this here photography forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

big scary monsters posted:

Going to try another roll and be really careful about getting the film nice and tight before I send it off for repairs.

Put your thumb on the feed spool as you wind up the header to put a little drag on it. Not too much, but it'll get everything in tension. I actually crank my 35mm film back a little bit to put it into tension in the same way, since I worry about my XA's film spacing.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Just got a few rolls from the 6x7 back from the lab:

---_2075 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_2065 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Thoughts?

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 3, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The first one is cool, but my favourite is the second. The expression and the lighting are both great.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

You know Matt Damon?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karang Guni Man by alkanphel, on Flickr

Void Deck, Bukit Merah, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Guys, this is a bag-able 4x5 camera

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wanderlust/travelwide-45-camera

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 3, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Dear God... have mercy on my wallet ... :gjizz:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The down side is that you lose all movements that come with LF.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Santa is strapped posted:

The down side is that you lose all movements that come with LF.

That's true, but it certainly brings the entry barrier down quite a bit.
Since last year I've been casually checking LF bodies, but even without figuring in the lenses and such they already seem quite expensive. And then you have to get the holders, the film, and probably a much better tripod while you're at it too.

Or put another way, if more people shoot LF because of this, everybody wins.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Oh god that is tempting.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That kind of design is next on my list of things to make, just need to get a graflok back first and go from there. I really like what this guy has done (go to post #9):
http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15043

Also, I nearly finished building an 8x10 sliding box camera, I'll post some pics on the weekend when it's done.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Guys, this is a bag-able 4x5 camera

The Mamiya 7 has never been sold as a compact camera, only a high-resolution one. You're trading off roll film capability and the best resolution in town in return for drastically lower cost. In practical terms, the holders and changing bags and such are going to add to your weight as well.

You do have to also consider press cameras. You can pick up a bargain-basement press camera with a Tessar for $150ish, Angulons go for at least $100 and now that demand is up you're probably talking more like $200 (or even more in the short term). For comparison, that is more than I paid for a Super Angulon 90/8. That matches the capability to straight-on shoot and raises you rangefinder focusing and movements, plus you get an actual ground glass screen if you want to focus by hand.

I'm really not sure it'll lower the barrier to entry that much given that it's tied to one particular lens. There are a lot of them out there, but not Urban Outfitter level supply. I'll be real curious if Russia or someone kicks off production of that design, given that it's probably out of patent now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 3, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Spedman posted:

That kind of design is next on my list of things to make, just need to get a graflok back first and go from there. I really like what this guy has done (go to post #9):
http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15043
How do you plan on setting up the focusing mechanism? That looks like the toughest part of making something like the Travelwide kickstarter.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Saint Fu posted:

How do you plan on setting up the focusing mechanism? That looks like the toughest part of making something like the Travelwide kickstarter.

It will almost certainly be a scale-focus helicoid. Note the external VF, there's no rangefinder here. The 90mm is the equivalent of a 28mm wideangle, so it's a little more forgiving of focus errors.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 3, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

As I stated in the OP, if you want to get into 4x5 for the convenience, you're doing it wrong.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

It will almost certainly be a scale-focus helicoid. Note the external VF, there's no rangefinder here. The 90mm is the equivalent of a 28mm wideangle, so it's a little more forgiving of focus errors.

Pretty much this, think of it like the Bessa-L. I haven't decided what to make the body out of yet, there is some place here in Melbourne that will CNC carbon fibre for a reasonable price.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Looks like a fun camera, also looks like something I'd buy then a few years (ok, a few months) down the line probably end up abandoning having poured more money at LF and wanting as many features as possible, and much sharper optics. The words "point and shoot" have never, ever been aligned with "large format" (or even MF) in my mind...

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 3, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Seriously, anyone considering LF should buy a Chamonix and be done with it. It is unironically the best camera I have ever used.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Looks like a fun camera, also looks like something I'd buy then a few years (ok, a few months) down the line probably end up abandoning having poured more money at LF and wanting as many features as possible, and much sharper optics. The words "point and shoot" have never, ever been aligned with "large format" (or even MF) in my mind...

Yeah, I agree and after thinking about this some more, I'm less excited about the general prospect. It is, however - still a dang cheap way to dip your toes into the water. You could use the super angulon on another lens-board with another body, later on. No loss there.

That said, I guess the point-and-shooty-ness comes from them trying to fish in the casual photographer waters. Thus, them presenting the camera that way. As I'm sure a full blown view camera with movements would scare off like 99% of the Kickstarter crowd anyway.

That all said, I don't think large format photography is about the movements alone, because to me that sounds akin to saying shooting MF is about resolution (a nice side effect, to be sure). A large part is about the specific look of these formats, and of course shooting film, which is a different mindset in and on itself anyway.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

8th-samurai posted:

Seriously, anyone considering LF should buy a Chamonix and be done with it. It is unironically the best camera I have ever used.
It does look sexy as hell and I'll be honest, I've definitely considered it myself. The difference is $900 > $99.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I personally don't think this camera is for me. I wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Holga. I'd rather save up the money for the real thing. As a toy camera it's great but the costs associated with it are prohibitive (cost of film, developing, etc)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

I wouldn't disagree for a second, but I had all the movements plus some in a cheap monorail compared to the Chamonix and I barely ever used them. I couldn't justify dropping $1000 on something I wouldn't get much benefit over the Speed Graphic I have, which has the bonus of a focal plane shutter. Also I'm getting into wet plate and I wanted some cheap 8x10's to play with, so long story short the Chamonix wasn't a great fit for me.

Chamonix did get some of my money, I just ordered one of their 8x10 wetplate holders, looks to be the best bang for the buck. (I couldn't be bothered ruining/converting a film holder).

I personally don't think this camera is for me. I wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Holga. I'd rather save up the money for the real thing. As a toy camera it's great but the costs associated with it are prohibitive (cost of film, developing, etc)

I've thought about it a bit more too, I think I'd be more interested in picking up a GSW690 (the wide angle version of the amazing GW690). I probably try building an ULF pin-hole or something crazy like that instead.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

I personally don't think this camera is for me. I wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Holga.

Funnily enough, a Holga is exactly what sprung into my mind as the MF equivalent while I was musing over this an hour or two ago. Although given the pictures produced, I think a 6x6 folder is probably a more direct and fair comparison. I've carried around folders with attached rangefinders for years, and it's not really something I'd recommend for shooting all the time, or even most of the time. 99% of the photos I've taken with folders either predate my purchase of Mamiya and Bronica systems, or were taken in situations where alternatives would have been unwieldy and I wanted a reasonably sized film negative. In both situations I end up wishing I'd had my GS-1.

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah, I agree and after thinking about this some more, I'm less excited about the general prospect. It is, however - still a dang cheap way to dip your toes into the water. You could use the super angulon on another lens-board with another body, later on. No loss there.

That said, I guess the point-and-shooty-ness comes from them trying to fish in the casual photographer waters. Thus, them presenting the camera that way. As I'm sure a full blown view camera with movements would scare off like 99% of the Kickstarter crowd anyway.

That all said, I don't think large format photography is about the movements alone, because to me that sounds akin to saying shooting MF is about resolution (a nice side effect, to be sure). A large part is about the specific look of these formats, and of course shooting film, which is a different mindset in and on itself anyway.

To be honest, the best application for it would be as a LF camera for holidaying/trips in a situation where you feel taking a more expensive camera would be either unsafe, inappropriate or inhibiting. Those should be fine for landscapes, but eh, portraits are probably going to be quite frustrating. I suppose it's worth the money either way since a focusing helicoid will run you as much as the camera...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Travelwide looks pretty cool, and at about the cost of a box of Velvia I'm kinda tempted - on Saturday I carried 15kg up a mountain just to take a few pictures. But I think I'd miss the movements and ground glass. If I want a P&S I already have a couple in 35mm and digital, and they don't cost £2 a frame to take snapshots with.

I really like the look of the Chamonix but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend on my first foray into the format.

The main thing I take away from all this is that I need to get a 65mm lens.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Clit Avoider posted:

You didn't look very hard. Polaroid rangefinders have been around forever in the low-cost segment. Alpenhause makes great compact travel rangefinders that take sheet film, and Peter Gowland has had fixed-focus or helicoid-focus aerial cameras (a big point and shoot) for ages. In medium format there's the Fuji GA645, and folding/box cameras have been around, like, forever.

You could have scale-focused a press camera if nothing else. (the same way you will have to focus the Travelwide)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I put myself down for the 65/90 body only combo package. Why? Well, for starters, I already have 65 and 90mm lenses that will work. I already own a Chamonix, but the Travelwide definitely has a few use cases I have in mind. It's like with my XA; I already have fancy 35mm [D]SLRs, but I use the XA for completely different things.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If the shutter fits or the body can be adapted, it should take a Super Angulon too, right?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
According to the FAQ, yes.

quote:

Yes, we have tested the Super Angulon 90mm ƒ/8 on the Travelwide 90, and it works well. However, you'll need to adjust the focus marker using the enclosed instructions, and the minimum focus distance will increase. We can't test every lens, but any 90mm ƒ/8 will probably work. The huge ƒ/5.6 lenses are not recommended for the Travelwide.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I will be attempting to mount my 90mm f/8 Nikkor. Not a bad camera when you've already got all of the required LF accessories...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

If the shutter fits or the body can be adapted, it should take a Super Angulon too, right?

In the Large Format Photography Forum thread on the Travelwide, they say there's 20mm of focus travel, in part to accomodate f/8 90mm lenses. The FFD of the Angulon is 90mm, whereas with the Super Angulon and most other f/8 90mm lenses it's about 100mm. It just means you'd have to make a new focus scale and be careful not to focus past infinity, and minimum focus distance would be further away.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I meant people that didn't already own an actual LF camera.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

8th-samurai posted:

I meant people that didn't already own an actual LF camera.

Hm, to be that's a bit akin to starting MF with a Hasselblad. Sure it's a drat fine camera and very workable, but for people who aren't even sure that they're gonna stick with it that's one hell of an investment. Add to that that an LF camera is probably even harder to unload than a MF outfit... and yeah.

I do; however, after some research, agree that maybe a speed graphic or something similar may be a better point of entry.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Hm, to be that's a bit akin to starting MF with a Hasselblad. Sure it's a drat fine camera and very workable, but for people who aren't even sure that they're gonna stick with it that's one hell of an investment. Add to that that an LF camera is probably even harder to unload than a MF outfit... and yeah.

I do; however, after some research, agree that maybe a speed graphic or something similar may be a better point of entry.

Well sure, if you want to buy a scrub camera as your first LF camera.:smuggo:

Seriouspost: I recommend the Chamonix so often because frankly it's a brilliant camera and would be dead simple to get rid of if you no longer wanted it. You might have to sit on a Speed Graphic a while before someone buys it but list a Chamonix (or any other desirable modern 4x5) kit on LFF or ebay and you can pretty much guarantee to sell it. This is not to say that a Speed or cheap monorail camera is a bad choice but if you are certain you will like 4x5 (and after a few sheets of Portra 400 you will be) might as well get a kit you are more willing to use and carry. Basically the same reasons I do recommend Hasselblads to people buying medium format cameras.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8th-samurai posted:

This is not to say that a Speed or cheap monorail camera is a bad choice but if you are certain you will like 4x5 (and after a few sheets of Portra 400 you will be) might as well get a kit you are more willing to use and carry. Basically the same reasons I do recommend Hasselblads to people buying medium format cameras.

To add to this a little more, press cameras were designed to fit a specific niche - press and sports photography. They were never intended to do insane swings and shifts, and many of them bind up and cannot shift at all with wide angle lenses. On the other hand they do have rangefinder focus, and good luck handholding a monorail. Horses for courses.

I sniped a Symmar-S MC 135mm for $175 last week. I was looking forward to having a plasmat I actually have a cam for, but so far the seller doesn't seem to have shipped :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 4, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Haha this is exactly how I got started in MF. Just took a leap of faith and bought a Hasselblad. Loved shooting with it ever since :D

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

alkanphel posted:

Haha this is exactly how I got started in MF. Just took a leap of faith and bought a Hasselblad. Loved shooting with it ever since :D

Haha, well it certainly worked for you. First flowers out of the wazoo and then the stuff you've been doing recently. (Which I like!) So I guess there goes my argument... or something something.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Haha, well it certainly worked for you. First flowers out of the wazoo and then the stuff you've been doing recently. (Which I like!) So I guess there goes my argument... or something something.

Haha thanks! I think it was Araki who said that changing your cameras means your photos will change, and I guess that's what happened for me.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Did the same thing. Both Pentax/Fuji/Maiyama/Whatever and a Hasselblad are going to depreciate at the same rate (like, none), so if you know you want to shoot with a Hasselblad you might as well start with one and avoid the hassle of selling and rebuying a kit. If it doesn't work out you can sell the Hasselblad for the same you paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Truth. I just sold my Pentax 67 kit and only took a loss because I would rather have cash in hand than deal with ebay and shipping. I look at it as spending about $100 to rent the camera for the year I had it.

• Locked thread