Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Guys, don't go. Network Vision upgrades are just around the corner.

Guys?

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

td4guy posted:

Guys?

If the Chicago market is any indication of the quality of their LTE network, I'll still probably be leaving after my contract is up. Shits spotty as hell with all kinds of dead spots that only pull sub dial up 3g.

If you're paying full price for Sprint you're getting seriously ripped off.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

If the Chicago market is any indication of the quality of their LTE network, I'll still probably be leaving after my contract is up. Shits spotty as hell with all kinds of dead spots that only pull sub dial up 3g.

If you're paying full price for Sprint you're getting seriously ripped off.

I don't have any problems with Sprint service in Houston, it does what I need...surf the internet, stream pandora.

Though I suppose I don't care about streaming video and having a 20 mbps connection, because what the hell am I going to use it for, and Sprint is still by far the cheapest option around.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Actually, if you live in Houston the best bet is T-Mobile.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Sprint hasn't been too bad in Houston at least at the Medical Center where I need access the most. But I'm still leaving once my contract is up at the end of this year because no way in hell I'm waiting another 4-5 months for a Nexus phone.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

halokiller posted:

Sprint hasn't been too bad in Houston at least at the Medical Center where I need access the most. But I'm still leaving once my contract is up at the end of this year because no way in hell I'm waiting another 4-5 months til the 12th of never for a Nexus phone.

Fixed that for you.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

halokiller posted:

Sprint hasn't been too bad in Houston at least at the Medical Center where I need access the most. But I'm still leaving once my contract is up at the end of this year because no way in hell I'm waiting another 4-5 months for a Nexus phone.

I would probably switch, but the HTC One is out (for AT&T officially right now) in two weeks, I figure Sprint isn't far behind.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Houston's LTE coverage seems a lot better than Dallas', which is funny because Dallas started rolling out LTE earlier.

I had 4G either entirely or nearly entirely from Sugar Land to Webster, back in December, and I can't think of any stretch of LTE as long as that in Dallas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobfather posted:

As a datapoint, how much voice and/or data roaming did you do per month, and for how long?

Voice was almost nothing because I rarely make calls. Data was several gigs per month starting in December.

I'll probably go to Ting with the phone I have as an interim solution until I purchase a new phone (Nexus 4, but I sort of want to see what the 'X Phone' will shape up as). Then it'll be one of the GSM MVNOs, likely Red Pocket unless either Straight Talk or T-Mobile unfuck themselves in the Omaha area. I'd gladly take T-Mo but they have virtually no coverage here. With the spectrum blocks they got from ATT and the purchase of Metro PCS they might expand here so I'm keeping my ear to the ground.

I just can't believe Sprint loving rolled out NV to the 'More Mountains Than People' area over by Idaho/Montana/Eastern Washington before they did here. Omaha's no massive metropolis but if I didn't already feel insulted I certainly do after that announcement.

E: as for fraud allegations, I work in a building that either can't be penetrated by the local Sprint signal or is in a dead area (South of Omaha) and the WiFi is a) bad and b) not able to process push notifications or something (Google also comes up with a captcha sometimes) and between pets, parents, girlfriend, etc; I can't just put my loving phone on WiFi for the day. Excuse the hell out of me if I spend 8 goddamn hours daily in a roaming area. Perhaps it's poetic justice that their sluggishness in rolling out NV here with it's better penetration frequency is at the root of it. My phone goes into roaming at the store, when I'm visiting my mother, all sorts of areas. Sprint's a weird combo of bad data speeds and somewhat spotty coverage here.

Also, I accidentally ripped the letter in my rush to get it out of the envelope. I had an inkling of what it could have been but I wanted to see it since it was a letter envelope (albeit typical yellow/white glossy) as opposed to advertising.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 2, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

I just can't believe Sprint loving rolled out NV to the 'More Mountains Than People' area over by Idaho/Montana/Western Washington before they did here. Omaha's no massive metropolis but if I didn't already feel insulted I certainly do after that announcement.
You're far from the largest metropolitan area still waiting on LTE. I think it's safe to assume that the red tape involved in modifying towers varies greatly state-to-state.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WoG posted:

You're far from the largest metropolitan area still waiting on LTE. I think it's safe to assume that the red tape involved in modifying towers varies greatly state-to-state.

I know that, but there's a difference between 'seeing San Francisco get LTE first' and 'seeing the inland northwest get LTE before Omaha."

As for the regulation thing, Omaha is in Nebraska. Where the governor attempted to get legislation cutting personal income taxes to near-zero, cutting corporate income taxes to zero, and funding the shortfall with increased sales taxes and the removal of the sales tax exemption for churches/NPO's. They seriously wanted to tax churches so that loving corporations did not have to pay taxes in the state. The only red tape is on the goddamn gift wrap.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I know that, but there's a difference between 'seeing San Francisco get LTE first' and 'seeing the inland northwest get LTE before Omaha."
Do mountain people not deserve LTE too?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

What about the HTC One? I'm much more interested in that phone.

There is now a confirmed date of April 19 for the launch of the HTC One on Sprint, AT&T, and T - mobile.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Now when will they announce a new Windows Phone. So sick of android and they still have nothing outside of some FCC leaks. :negative:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do mountain people mountains not deserve LTE too?

They do, if there are even any people living on/in/among them.

E: Didn't HTC already release the One last year, or is this a new version (the One Two as it were) that isn't the same as the (as seen on Sprint) HTC Evo 4G LTE?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 2, 2013

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

They do, if there are even any people living on/in/among them.

E: Didn't HTC already release the One last year, or is this a new version (the One Two as it were) that isn't the same as the (as seen on Sprint) HTC Evo 4G LTE?

They released the One X, X+ and One S.

This one is "The One"

What comes after this is beyond me.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

They released the One X, X+ and One S.

This one is "The One"

What comes after this is beyond me.

I'd guess the "The", or the "The On". Then the "The O" or the "Th", etc. Then after all those, start spelling them in reverse. Once you exhaust all those options, hope everyone forgot about the original names.

Perfect example:
HTC Titan

Sure, Titan was the codename for the HTC Mogul/PPC6800 or something like that, but still!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

uapyro posted:

I'd guess the "The", or the "The On". Then the "The O" or the "Th", etc. Then after all those, start spelling them in reverse. Once you exhaust all those options, hope everyone forgot about the original names.

Perfect example:
HTC Titan

Sure, Titan was the codename for the HTC Mogul/PPC6800 or something like that, but still!

Yea but the device "Codename" and device actual "Name" ususally are two separate things. Still yes The Mogul(Titan) was a reasonably good slider.

HTC Home was so much better and lighter than HTC Sense it wasn't funny.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea but the device "Codename" and device actual "Name" ususally are two separate things. Still yes The Mogul(Titan) was a reasonably good slider.

HTC Home was so much better and lighter than HTC Sense it wasn't funny.

True, it was the first/closest thing I could think of a name being reused.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

uapyro posted:

True, it was the first/closest thing I could think of a name being reused.

While you were still right. That device was one that had multiple names and instead of it's base being the # version like a lot of devices, its name was the Titan, the PPC6800 was used at AT&T wasn't it? And the Mogul was Sprint's name for it.

Weirdness for sure since the phone before it, (The Apache), was a PPC6700 across the board.

Product names really excape me from so many companies. Intel is bad at it, ATI/AMD is downright horrible in keeping any sense in their products (5870 was the top, then the 6870 wasn't and instead it is the 6970? But wasn't the 5970 a 2X GPU on a single board unit? WTF? :psyduck: ).

I wish I could go into that market since I have ideas that mix creativity as well as make it so much easier to make sense as well as give future products a non retarded confusion issue.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

While you were still right. That device was one that had multiple names and instead of it's base being the # version like a lot of devices, its name was the Titan, the PPC6800 was used at AT&T wasn't it? And the Mogul was Sprint's name for it.

Weirdness for sure since the phone before it, (The Apache), was a PPC6700 across the board.

Product names really excape me from so many companies. Intel is bad at it, ATI/AMD is downright horrible in keeping any sense in their products (5870 was the top, then the 6870 wasn't and instead it is the 6970? But wasn't the 5970 a 2X GPU on a single board unit? WTF? :psyduck: ).

I wish I could go into that market since I have ideas that mix creativity as well as make it so much easier to make sense as well as give future products a non retarded confusion issue.

From memory I thought the PPC6800 was a model "number" for the Titan; not tied to any specific provider. I know with Verizon it was the XV6800 since I helped a friend slightly mod it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

As for the regulation thing, Omaha is in Nebraska. Where the governor attempted to get legislation cutting personal income taxes to near-zero, cutting corporate income taxes to zero, and funding the shortfall with increased sales taxes and the removal of the sales tax exemption for churches/NPO's. They seriously wanted to tax churches so that loving corporations did not have to pay taxes in the state. The only red tape is on the goddamn gift wrap.

I literally cannot pick up Sprint if I go inside a single building on highway 370, it's so loving bad. I get frustrated trying to check my email in a parking lot sometimes too. 2 months of legit left for me.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Could I purchase a Sprint HTC One and use it on Virgin Mobile? Do I have to do it over the phone?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

I literally cannot pick up Sprint if I go inside a single building on highway 370, it's so loving bad. I get frustrated trying to check my email in a parking lot sometimes too. 2 months of legit left for me.

It also doesn't help that I work in a big steel-roofed building full of electronic poo poo, in a bit of a low-lying area. It's not awfully far from the interstate but with the difference in elevation and the assuredly massive amount of electronic noise emanating from everything plus the loving (LV, not Eppley) airport down the road it may well be a case of noise as opposed to coverage. However, I don't get 3G until I'm approaching the interstate, which leads me to believe it's a coverage issue.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I've been feeling the age of my Epic 4G lately, so I think I'll be upgrading to the One or GS4. I only made it this far because of the developer community keeping it up to date. That's going to be a big consideration for this upgrade.

Samsung's model of one phone to rule them all has played a big part in attracting such a large community. It seems HTC is following suit this generation, so it may be a toss up. Specs are so similar that I can't choose one or the other. I'm going to resist the urge to preorder and see how things play out.

There's also the option of jumping ship to greener pastures, but I'm cheap and know as soon as I leave Sprint they'll become the new hotness in my area.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Daughter is off my SERO $30 plan and on her bf's. I've got a line I can offer if someone needs another one.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

geetee posted:

I've been feeling the age of my Epic 4G lately, so I think I'll be upgrading to the One or GS4. I only made it this far because of the developer community keeping it up to date. That's going to be a big consideration for this upgrade.

Samsung's model of one phone to rule them all has played a big part in attracting such a large community. It seems HTC is following suit this generation, so it may be a toss up. Specs are so similar that I can't choose one or the other. I'm going to resist the urge to preorder and see how things play out.

There's also the option of jumping ship to greener pastures, but I'm cheap and know as soon as I leave Sprint they'll become the new hotness in my area.

If you are looking for a phone to use for 2 years consider the removable battery/vs non-removable battery and SD card you get with the S4. The S4 will have a better development community/more persistent no matter what HTC does as the S2-S3-S4 line has always been the lead android SKU (in numbers of units moved).

The HTC One seems like a great piece of hardware but it's completely sealed and had a repair score of 1/10. Sometime in the next 2 years you might want an SD card.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
As far as smartphones with non-removable batteries, just ask anyone who got an HTC EVO LTE (at release) last year how things are going for battery life.

I've had my Touch Pro 2 for three (motherfucking-damnit-grueling) years now. Because I can buy a new battery every 12 months for less than $15, I get the same battery life as when it was new out of the box. And I hope not for much longer as I wait for the S4 to release.

gently caress you, ghost of Steve Jobs.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 3, 2013

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
On the flip side, I've had my Evo 3D since shortly after launch, and a new battery did absolute gently caress all for my battery life :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It went from "poo poo" to "slightly less poo poo", right? :v:

The more I think about it, as nice as the One looks, I've given HTC enough of my money and been unhappy after two years each time. The S4 doesn't have anything that makes it terribly compelling to me over the Note II, so I'm probably going to just go ahead and order one of those.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

My E4GT's battery is bulged to hell and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until August.

What's the likelihood of a Sprint store, A, giving me a free battery, and/or B, letting me upgrade to the HTC One early?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

zenintrude posted:

My E4GT's battery is bulged to hell and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until August.

What's the likelihood of a Sprint store, A, giving me a free battery, and/or B, letting me upgrade to the HTC One early?

I'm gonna go ahead and say slim to none on both accounts. From what I keep reading here I know that you can buy out your contract to upgrade early but as far as a battery goes I doubt that Sprint will hook anyone up with a free one (unless it was the Nexus iirc since that one had battery problems).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I guess the charge port on my Galaxy Nexus is hosed up or something? For some reason it charges just fine with my car charger, however when I plug it in at home you have to fiddle around with it and then it'll charge fine.

What is my option for fixing this? Like how much would it run, etc etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

zenintrude posted:

Depends on store and the reps and the techs helping you. Plus, You may be able to upgrade early and that close its typically a 50$ buyout. So 199.99+50 to upgrade.

Assuming you have it available.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Skeezy posted:

So I guess the charge port on my Galaxy Nexus is hosed up or something? For some reason it charges just fine with my car charger, however when I plug it in at home you have to fiddle around with it and then it'll charge fine.

What is my option for fixing this? Like how much would it run, etc etc.

Is your home charger bent a little? My home charger is a little bent, works fine with most devices, but my GNex has to be wiggled a bit.

Also, like you said, my Gnex only has this problem with my home charger.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

td4guy posted:

Guys?

Nah I don't think so. That's what I've been hearing for Phoenix since I got my 4G phone that I have yet to ever use with an actual 4G connection. I see Phoenix getting listed in the Tower Updates list but the maps still show zero 4G showing up anywhere in the entire state. All three of the other major carriers have 4G here where I live so I'm not seeing any good reason for me to stay with Sprint, who I've been with for over 12 years, if this remains the case when my current contract is up in 6ish months.

*sigh* it's really a lame situation, I WANT to stay with Sprint if I can but they're not giving me much of a choice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

berserker posted:

Nah I don't think so. That's what I've been hearing for Phoenix since I got my 4G phone that I have yet to ever use with an actual 4G connection. I see Phoenix getting listed in the Tower Updates list but the maps still show zero 4G showing up anywhere in the entire state. All three of the other major carriers have 4G here where I live so I'm not seeing any good reason for me to stay with Sprint, who I've been with for over 12 years, if this remains the case when my current contract is up in 6ish months.

*sigh* it's really a lame situation, I WANT to stay with Sprint if I can but they're not giving me much of a choice.

If it makes you feel better. 4g Data is the only thing working reliably here where i live. Voice, text, 3g data, All pretty broken and has been getting worse as more towers go down for upgrades.

Trust me. Not easy to sell phones right now either. And everyone is a phone tech now a days and thinks its the phones because the internet said so. :(

It also dont help that call centers are pretty much all outsourced, so them saying "THERES NO TOWERS DOWN IN YOUR AREA" when theres multiple dont help. gently caress.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
And meanwhile here in NYC LTE is popping up all over and WiMax has as far as I could tell 100% coverage (if you're outside, that is) if you're like me and stuck with a 3D for a little while longer. To be honest though, the 3G is perfectly fine for most uses. I even stream from Google Music off 3G with only an occasional hiccup because WiMax is still pretty buggy in CM. And most of those hiccups seem to be because the Music app is a buggy pile of poo poo.

NV will come, and when it does, it'll be fantastic.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
I added insurance at the end of March since it was open enrollment, is the waiting period still a month or would I be ok to open a claim in a couple of weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

A battery for that phone is $5 on amazon, use do that for now.