Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm not entirely sure about that, since if you check Mahiru's DR2 art it's the exact same issue, just less prominent.

Waffleman_ posted:

I also noticed it with one of the first pictures of Ryouko. It seems like the artist just ignores all anatomy under the skirt.

Not true. Mahiru's art there is actually quite well drawn by way of anatomy and proportions, especially compared to what you see in a lot of anime art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hm. Would you look at that. Guess it was just some kind of visual illusion.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

I think it's because the skirt is so high-waisted and short. It gives a somewhat misleading impression of where the hips are, and the hem falls right at the widest part of the thighs, so they end up looking pretty huge.

Kirigiri's DR0 image, on the other hand, is a botched attempt at forced perspective. Her torso is too long for the angle her legs are at, and her shoulders, arms, neck, and head are tilted too far forward to look right. Her shoulders are also rotated at an awkward angle from her hips - her torso and her legs are not facing the same way, though the pose suggests they should be. No excuses here.

KillerEggplant fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 4, 2013

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
That's actually really interesting. My artistic abilities are at a third-grade stick figure level, so all this stuff about torso length and shoulder rotation skip right over my head usually, unless it's monstrous Rob Liefeld-style art where bodies are twisted at 180 degree angles like a scene from the Exorcist. I wonder if there's any other major botched perspective stuff in other DR official art.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

KillerEggplant posted:

Kirigiri's DR0 image, on the other hand, is a botched attempt at forced perspective. Her torso is too long for the angle her legs are at, and her shoulders, arms, neck, and head are tilted too far forward to look right. Her shoulders are also rotated at an awkward angle from her hips - her torso and her legs are not facing the same way, though the pose suggests they should be. No excuses here.

These are really cool. Could you go over some of the other portraits as well?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gensuki posted:

These are really cool. Could you go over some of the other portraits as well?

Unironically awaiting the Fatgami and regular Togami ones in this case.
:allears:

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Can do! Togami and Fatogami are a really interesting comparison, actually.

Here's Togami in DR1. He's got anime prettyboy proportions: slender body, elongated arms and legs. Nobody is surprised. This isn't SHSL Accurate Anatomy, but he's a stylized stereotype.

Now here's Togami in DR2. He's gained a whole lot of weight - but as much as you can say that an anime-styled character is realistic, his weight gain is pretty realistic. The artist has paid attention to where fat deposits generally accumulate on the body, and thus Togami has gained a paunch, moobs, thicker arms, legs and neck, and a rounder face.

The artist has also been careful to keep the underlying body structure the same. Togami's skeletal structure, the length of his arms and legs, and the size of his hands and feet have remained the same. His position in the chair has had to change to accommodate his weight gain - he just can't keep his legs as close together or his arms as tight to his sides, because the fat is in the way - but all the basic, underlying structure has been kept consistent. It's a subtle way to make the point that this really is the same character - he just got fat.

For contrast, Hanamura, who has accurate anatomy for his body type, but has midget proportions, presumably because he's presented as a comic character.

On the whole, I'm inclined to say that this artist knows what they're doing and has a good grasp on anatomy and proportions, but they seem to have trouble with perspective and unusual angles from time to time. I'm impressed by the attention to detail in the designs.

Any other requests? Pictures that just look funny and need some explaining?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing Sakura, seeing as how she seems to have a pretty impossible body.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing Sakura, seeing as how she seems to have a pretty impossible body.

Echoing this sentiment. Let's see how badass her outline is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bman in 2288 posted:

Echoing this sentiment. Let's see how badass her outline is.

In the same vein, Owari. Is that pose (and for that matter, other gymanstic feats) even possible with her bust size? I know people have talked about it, but it'd still be curious to see.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
I'd like to see Akane, especially considering the discussion that took place right after her SHSL talent reveal. Let's see if her body makes sense if you don't take her occupation into account.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
How about Yamada? I mean, there's really no explaining his physicality (or personality) other than caricature.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

HoneyBoy posted:

How about Yamada? I mean, there's really no explaining his physicality (or personality) other than caricature.

I would assume Yamada would be kind of similar to Hanamura.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

For all that Sakura appears to have some pretty wack poo poo going on, she, too, is relatively anatomically accurate. Her muscles are super-over-exaggerated, but since that's the point of her character, I'm ignoring that - if you look past the stylization going on in her art, the underlying anatomy is just fine. She just looks odd because she's totally swole.

Her pose is also exaggerated, but it's not actually impossible.She's flexible enough to do a complete split like that, and her training would let her do that crazy spin kick she's pulling off. The perspective in her art is well done as well.

I gotta go put my kid to bed, but I'll be back in a bit and do a couple more of these. Thanks for your responses, guys. I'm enjoying this.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
You should do Monobear. His anatomy is so off it's honestly kind of embarrassing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

getitoffgetitoff posted:

You should do Monobear. His anatomy is so off it's honestly kind of embarrassing.

That is because he's a bear.

Is it just me or is Sakura's left leg, below the knee, looking a bit... dislocated? Like she's doing this split and then trying to touch her foot with her back. It's really very weird.

taniada
Feb 19, 2013

KillerEggplant posted:

I gotta go put my kid to bed, but I'll be back in a bit and do a couple more of these. Thanks for your responses, guys. I'm enjoying this.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, I'm loving it. :)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I want monobear's anatomy to just be random gears and flywheels with no attention paid to where bones go.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
No no, he's obviously stuffed with fluff.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Sakura's leg does look odd, but I think it's within tolerances for the style and the action going on in the pose, since her hips and legs are both using twisting motions.

Yamada is indeed like Hanamura: goon for effect. The artist has taken fat-dude proportions and anatomy with Yamada and exaggerated it into caricature. He's also got that mouth thing going on. If I were trying to explain it with anatomical correctness, I'd say it was a cleft palate, but since Yamada was a big weirdo caricature, I'm more inclined to just state animes and leave it at that by way of explanation.

There is some wonkiness going on in Akane's art, though. Her torso, waist, and arms are okay, but her hips are set too high for the position of her legs, and her legs are too long, especially her right leg, even considering the stylization. In my opinion, anyway. Her head is also a little small, and I'm going to make an educated guess that the artist is male, because they don't seem to have a practical understanding of how boobs react to gravity and interact with the arms, the torso, and clothes.

Whether or not it's impossible to do gymnastics with a huge chest is an opinion call and I'm not going to opine on it, but I will state that she'd need one hell of a sports bra to contain those things so they didn't fly up and give her a black eye while she was whipping around like that.

I apologize for not making a Monobear anatomy sketch, but I am afraid that if I look too deep into the abyss, the abyss will look back into me. :colbert:

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Also, don't you mean embearassing?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
These are pretty neat, KillerEggplant. :)

Would you mind analyzing Peko's pose in her artwork? It looks like a wackier anime pose compared to the rest.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I personally want to see Nanami, and going back to the last game Celes, Junko, and Kirigiri while you're doing these

Also: Personally, Peko looks like she has "Comic Book Girl" syndrome, impossibly turned for the sake of fanservice.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
I would like to see Mikan and Nidai, if it's possible.

Edit:vv
Does that include the rest of the DRZero characters we have art for?

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 4, 2013

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I'm just gonna go ahead and ask KillerEggplant to do everybody. Everybody.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

HelloWinter posted:

That's probably for the best. We're already asking for half of the characters, what's the other half.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

HelloWinter posted:

This includes Naegi's family, Syo's victims, Oowada's gang members, past Oogami, Maizono's bandmates, etc.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
And hamsters.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Nidai is all about the muscle. He also falls under the "ridiculously swole" category, but is pretty accurately drawn for all that. His muscles and his fists are massively exaggerated, and his head and feet are stupidly tiny in comparison, but this is also a guy who shoots lightning out of his eyes because he's just that intense, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that the anatomical inaccuracies in his design are deliberately done for comic effect.

Peko's pose: Possible to achieve? Yes. Comfortable or practical? No. This pose, while anatomically just fine and technically possible to twist into, is all about the fanservice and very little about the actual swordplay. If it was meant to accentuate her capacity as a swordswoman, she would not be oddly twisted to the side, and she'd probably be using one hand to anchor the sheath of her sword so that she could pull it free. However, that wouldn't show off her legs or boobs nearly as well.

There are some things a little wrong with Nanami's art. Her torso is too short, and her legs are a bit spindly. I think that this is another case of the artist's problems with perspective. While nothing here is horrifyingly wrong or distorted, it's just off enough to look a bit funny. The pose seems to be chosen to suggest that she's kind of spacey and maybe somewhat vulnerable, with its open body language and distantly surprised look.

Mikan's head is kind of small, and her torso is longer than it should be, but the real problems here are with her legs. Her right leg is placed way too low to be properly connected to her hip, her legs are too long, and the musculature in both legs is sort of wobbly.

Kirigiri's art is pretty much okay until you get down to the calves and feet. Seriously, dude, boots are not an excuse not to draw feet correctly. I'm judging you, sir. Judging you.

Celes and Junko have leg problems, too. Painfully long legs with strange musculature and tiny, misshapen feet. Junko's torso and waist also don't connect correctly to her hips, and her hips and legs are huge compared to the rest of her body.

I'm noticing a pattern here: key characters and comic characters are well drawn and decently accurate, but the more fanservice-y or sexy a character is supposed to be, the sloppier the art seems to have gotten. That's a little uncomfortable, actually.

HelloWinter posted:

HelloWinter talked to me. :blush:

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

KillerEggplant posted:

I'm noticing a pattern here: key characters and comic characters are well drawn and decently accurate, but the more fanservice-y or sexy a character is supposed to be, the sloppier the art seems to have gotten. That's a little uncomfortable, actually.

Admittedly, that's a lot better than the alternative: Attention is only paid to the fanservice and results in Gainax level boobs, Comic book poses, and Barbie proportions.

Sorry, I'm just going to cut myself off here with a thanks to eggplant before I start ranting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KillerEggplant posted:

That seems odd for someone who was trained as a sculptor, since most sculptors work more with traditional beauty than they do with exaggerated or comic figures.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

That seems odd for someone who was trained as a sculptor, since most sculptors work more with traditional beauty than they do with exaggerated or comic figures.

Knowing accurate anatomy lets you warp and exaggerate it in believable ways.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, and the sloppier or less accurate pieces were done earlier on when the guy had less practice.

At any rate, I have a headache coming on, so I'm going to knock off on the drawing for now, but that was a fun side trip.

KillerEggplant fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 4, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe the money men pressed on the matter and screwing off on it is how he deals with it?

carnalHuntress
Mar 23, 2013
Sorry to interrupt the discussion about the artist's anatomy, but I'd like to show a Komaeda my friend Nuzz drew for me!

The reason as to why he's in a turtleneck makes about as much sense as why he's wearing a jacket on a tropical island, I assure you.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

KillerEggplant posted:

At any rate, I have a headache coming on, so I'm going to knock off on the drawing for now, but that was a fun side trip.
That must be Hellowinter using telepathy to force you to draw more. OBEY.

In anycase, now the only thing left is to wait and see how this trial keeps going.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Hey, that's a cute Nagito.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Loving the anatomy examinations going on here, KillerEggplant. I always like bringing up the Dangan Ronpa characters if I need to explain the silhouette test for character design, even if the artist tends to neglect unique body shapes for the women.

KillerEggplant posted:

There are some things a little wrong with Nanami's art. Her torso is too short, and her legs are a bit spindly. I think that this is another case of the artist's problems with perspective. While nothing here is horrifyingly wrong or distorted, it's just off enough to look a bit funny. The pose seems to be chosen to suggest that she's kind of spacey and maybe somewhat vulnerable, with its open body language and distantly surprised look.

To expand on this, I'd say Nanami's torso isn't short, per se, just that she's supposed to be leaning forward and the artist messed up on the foreshortening. Her shoulders are at a weird angle if that's the case, though.

quote:

Mikan's head is kind of small, and her torso is longer than it should be, but the real problems here are with her legs. Her right leg is placed way too low to be properly connected to her hip, her legs are too long, and the musculature in both legs is sort of wobbly.
Good catch with Mikan's right leg; it's impossible to unsee that now. Mikan's foot is also drawn at a completely different angle than her knee.

quote:

Celes and Junko have leg problems, too. Painfully long legs with strange musculature and tiny, misshapen feet. Junko's torso and waist also don't connect correctly to her hips, and her hips and legs are huge compared to the rest of her body.

Pretty much everything about Junko's art bothers me. Her shoulders don't look even, her position is unnatural and difficult to support, her hair looks like it's at a head on angle while the rest of her is 3/4ths, and her forearms seem a little long. Would you agree that Junko's hands are off, too?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

To expand on this, I'd say Nanami's torso isn't short, per se, just that she's supposed to be leaning forward and the artist messed up on the foreshortening. Her shoulders are at a weird angle if that's the case, though.

Maybe she's arching her chest forward, and her shoulders are thrown back a bit?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Can we get these art analysis added to the OP? They're not spoilery like normal fanart, and I think they'd fit under the character's section as extras.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I sort of figured that the anatomy weirdness was because every single character is actual a direct blood descendant of Chun-Li from Street Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

I agree with all your points, PhysicsFrenzy. Junko's official portrait is just kind of a mess, really.

• Locked thread