Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

After seeing how cool the baseball version of this was, I couldn't help myself. An NHL 13 Draft would be cool but not all of us have that and it's impossible when you're waiting on so many picks all the time. So, we're going to do it the hard way, but it's going to be fun as hell to do if it's done right. Here's the gist of it.

30 goons, first come first serve. You pick your team and act as it's drafting GM.

This is a fantasy draft which means you are drafting your team from all current players on professional contracts (NHL/AHL only). Prospects playing in juniors or overseas are NOT ELIGIBLE. You are going to draft a team any way you'd like, whether it's to spend little and have a team of young guys for the future, or a stacked older team to win now. Your choice entirely.

The draft order will be snaking and randomly chosen, and as players are picked, I will be updating the OP with the results so we can all see who's been picked. This requires research behind each pick, really. I mean it's a lot harder than it seems, especially when you reach the later rounds. You can pick ANYBODY. The goal is that we wind up with a 50-contract team. It's demanding, but if we go slow and have fun, it doesn't matter how long it takes. Just keep in mind: hurry up if you can.

What makes this fun? With each pick, you will explain your pick. Why did you choose this player and what kind of team are you trying to build? And after each pick, we're all free to rag on you for picking Matt Stajan to be your second-line center.

RULES
1. Again, any player not signed to an NHL or AHL contract is not eligible to be drafted.
2. We are drafting based on an NHL salary cap of $70.3 million. This figure and NOT next year's lower cap, is the figure, considering amnesty buyouts and whatnot have not yet occurred. In other words, nobody would draft Vincent Lecavalier with a $64 million cap, but now maybe they would.
3. YOU HAVE 12 HOURS TO MAKE YOUR PICK. You have the right to PM me and ask me to announce your pick in the thread for you, or to ask for a small extension, or to present a list of players you would want if you are unable to be present for the pick, but if you don't communicate with me and lose your pick, a pick will be made for you as a consensus of myself and two other neutral parties. This pick will be kept with your current team and situation in mind. IF YOU MISS THREE CONSECUTIVE PICKS, YOU WILL BE KICKED FROM THE DRAFT, and the first person on the waiting list will take over for you.
4. You must, to some degree, explain your pick to keep everyone involved and encourage discussion.
5. Abide by general roster rules, in that you'll have a 23-man NHL roster, requiring two goalies, twelve forwards, and six defensemen, at the least. Also the minimum cap applies.
6. NO MENTIONING UNDRAFTED PLAYERS. Only discuss current picks and in context of previous ones.
7. BE COMMITTED. PLEASE. If you don't think you're going to be able to do this thing (it's long-winded and daunting), be a bystander. Please.

Any other rules or ideas you guys have before we start, bring them up here. But now is the time to sign up!

TEAMS

EAST
New Jersey Devils -- i am not so sure
Pittsburgh Penguins -- Vigilance
Philadelphia Flyers -- mentholmoose
New York Islanders -- mozza
New York Rangers -- Zodijackylite

Toronto Maple Leafs -- Paulocaust
Ottawa Senators -- Rutkowski
Montreal Canadiens -- stab
Buffalo Sabres -- Starsfan
Boston Bruins -- Thufir

Washington Capitals -- Spamtron7000
Florida Panthers -- T-Bone
Carolina Hurricanes -- eXXon
Winnipeg Jets -- Boomer the Cannon
Tampa Bay Lightning -- Chairman Wao

WEST

Nashville Predators -- canuckanese
Columbus Blue Jackets -- ThinkTank
Chicago Blackhawks -- Jordan7hm
St. Louis Blues -- elmer fud
Detroit Red Wings -- VJeff

Calgary Flames -- mennoknight
Colorado Avalanche -- Shoeonhead22
Minnesota Wild -- Drunk Canuck
Vancouver Canucks -- Verviticus
Edmonton Oilers -- jopo

Anaheim Ducks -- Austrianmook
Dallas Stars -- Twin Cinema
Los Angels Kings -- Habibi
San José Sharks -- Infidel Castro
Phoenix Coyotes -- the talent deficit

WAITING LIST

CONSENSUS TEAM -- Myself and these two people NOT DRAFTING will autopick for GM's who miss their deadlines
1. DOOP
2. myron cope

DRAFT ORDER

1. Jets
2. Stars
3. Blues
4. Sharks
5. Maple Leafs
6. Senators
7. Hurricanes
8. Sabres
9. Wild
10. Capitals
11. Bruins
12. Avalanche
13. Flyers
14. Canadiens
15. Kings
16. Penguins
17. Devils
18. Islanders
19. Ducks
20. Panthers
21. Coyotes
22. Predators
23. Blackhawks
24. Red Wings
25. Flames
26. Lightning
27. Oilers
28. Canucks
29. Rangers
30. Blue Jackets

DRAFT RESULTS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE&usp=sharing

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sim threads rule and i am not so sure is very good at running these kinda threads if my memory serves me correctly.

In as the Leafs.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I would do it, but I would have no explanations for my drafting. It would all be gut drafts.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

der juicen posted:

I would do it, but I would have no explanations for my drafting. It would all be gut drafts.

That's fine. Try to come up with something, but in general you're a funny dude and it would be cool to have an impulsive rear end of his picks which to make fun.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I'll give it a shot. In as Capitals but I'll take any team - what does it matter?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Does the last-place GM get a really unflattering AV of Jay Feaster?

edit: assuming the NHL 13 Sim thing happens, of course

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
GIVE ME THE FLAMES DOG

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Give me all the Panthers

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Makes you wonder who the top pick is going to be with this format.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So you're gonna sim this in NHL 13? Is there anyway we can get like a list of everyone's ratings under that?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

So you're gonna sim this in NHL 13? Is there anyway we can get like a list of everyone's ratings under that?

I'm not necessarily going to. I might not because this is already so time-consuming. And even if I do, I do not want people drafting guys who are good in NHL 13, it should have nothing to do with it. So pick under the impression of how these guys actually play and as if I'm definitely not going to be simming.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gotcha.

It's too bad the OOTP hockey sim got bumped again. Can't wait to try that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I guess I'll take Carolina again.

Hypothetically, are unsigned prospects going to remain with the team that drafted them? That's one thing I don't like about most fantasy drafts. It incentivizes picking teams with the best unsigned prospects, which is kind of arbitrary.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

I guess I'll take Carolina again.

Hypothetically, are unsigned prospects going to remain with the team that drafted them? That's one thing I don't like about most fantasy drafts. It incentivizes picking teams with the best unsigned prospects, which is kind of arbitrary.

Unsigned prospects don't exist in this draft.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah why not make unsigned (but drafted) guys available? Want to draft Kuznetsov.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Yeah why not make unsigned (but drafted) guys available? Want to draft Kuznetsov.

It would be too much. If everyone else wants to do it, then fine, but staying in the realm of NHL/AHL guys will make this a lot easier.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
At any rate, I'm taking Boucher far too early.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

T-Bone posted:

Problem is, if we do that it will pretty much eliminate the possibility of simming in NHL13 because that player doesn't exist.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Spamtron7000 posted:

Problem is, if we do that it will pretty much eliminate the possibility of simming in NHL13 because that player doesn't exist.

If that's the primary reason there are going to be a lot of players missing from the roster because just signed prospects like Merrill and Boucher won't go undrafted.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I'll GM the Avalanche, less media pressure than the Habs

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Vigilance is not at a computer but he texted me to snag the PENGUINS.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I'll take vancouver

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

For purposes of this draft, forget I said anything about NHL 13. I don't want people drafting players because they're good in NHL. The whole point of this is to reflect our real-life league conscience in drafting a team of players. And having unsigned/overseas prospects seems like a lot to add to the amount of players as it is.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am going to draft Eric Staal with my first pick because I am Jimmy Rutherford, you can't stop me.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

For purposes of this draft, forget I said anything about NHL 13. I don't want people drafting players because they're good in NHL. The whole point of this is to reflect our real-life league conscience in drafting a team of players. And having unsigned/overseas prospects seems like a lot to add to the amount of players as it is.

Having a successful team is like 4th on my priority list for the draft

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If you're going to be funny and troll the draft then do not do it. Reconsider.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

I don't mean I'm going to draft garbage, I'm just going to have a very specific style of play which doesn't exist in the current league

e: but has existed in the past

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You can't stop me from filling my team with Staals, Sutters and Wards! I don't even care if they're related! Aaron, Joel and Cam all look the same to me.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My only gripe is that 24 hours seems like a reallllly long time for picks. We did 4 hours per pick in the wrestling draft thread and even still, not only did it take forever, but interested curtailed hard near the end. I mean, you get two or three guys in a row here forgetting to make their pick and suddenly the thread hasn't moved an inch in days.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

My only gripe is that 24 hours seems like a reallllly long time for picks. We did 4 hours per pick in the wrestling draft thread and even still, not only did it take forever, but interested curtailed hard near the end. I mean, you get two or three guys in a row here forgetting to make their pick and suddenly the thread hasn't moved an inch in days.

I just set that because I figured it would take people awhile. I would love to do 12-hour intervals, just because some people work a lot. Obviously, you can make your pick instantly if you want, which would be great. But I'll change it to a 12-hour window and that can always be altered as we move through the draft.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'll snatch up the highly coveted Anaheim Ducks

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Put me down for... the nitty gritty slow as molasses Minnesota Wild.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
In as the Flyers. The baseball version of this was incredibly fun last year; I can't wait to be in a hockey one.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One thing I'd suggest is to allow people to send in lists to the consensus team/disinterested third party if their pick is coming up but they know they won't be around to announce it themselves.

Also, are you going to allow trades?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

One thing I'd suggest is to allow people to send in lists to the consensus team/disinterested third party if their pick is coming up but they know they won't be around to announce it themselves.

Also, are you going to allow trades?

Lists are allowed.

No trades, this is just drafting a full roster.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

i am not so sure posted:

That's fine. Try to come up with something, but in general you're a funny dude and it would be cool to have an impulsive rear end of his picks which to make fun.

Alright, the Preds it is.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take the SAS :love: team of the moment Columbus Blue Jackets

Can we email you picks if we don't have DMs?

Also can we do the new divisions just because?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

^missed it by *that* much.

I want in as the Winnipeg Jets

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So... are we assuming players keep their current contracts? What about pending UFAs? They'd be worth a lot less than a guy signed forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am down to do this, and I don't care what team I get. Maybe I will just take whatever team is left at the end?

• Locked thread