Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The best part about this:

quote:

Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG.
The client will be DRM-free

:bravo:

vvvv exactly

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The client being DRM-free doesn't matter one iota if the game is subscription-based, though? That's like saying the WoW client is DRM-free.

Edit: Oh, durr :thejoke:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 4, 2013

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Kirill Pokrovsky did the soundtrack for all of the Divinity games, and they've hired him this time around as well. Judging by his site, he's a lot better at composing music than he is at website design.

I loved the music in DD. :allears:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The people behind Rainfall: the Sojourn have updated again. They have a new character, discuss the engine, and reveal two new music tracks. I still have some hope this will turn out well.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Phlegmish posted:

Kirill Pokrovsky did the soundtrack for all of the Divinity games, and they've hired him this time around as well. Judging by his site, he's a lot better at composing music than he is at website design.
The Broken Valley track is still one of my favorites in games. The whistling gets me every time. (the OST is very worth snagging)

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Renoistic posted:

The people behind Rainfall: the Sojourn have updated again. They have a new character, discuss the engine, and reveal two new music tracks. I still have some hope this will turn out well.
Good to see an update, but I'm still concerned that there are exactly zero in-game screenshots for this game. Content management systems are important...but it's only part of the equation. The update says the engine itself is 'done', but I have doubts that it won't need some serious additional work as an actual game is developed against it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cryamore put out another demo. It appears to be available to everyone. It's a bit more polished now. Hopefully my $15 won't go to waste.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robaato/cryamore-a-true-first-class-take-on-the-action-rpg/posts/445315 -Fixed Windows exe Version
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robaato/cryamore-a-true-first-class-take-on-the-action-rpg/posts/445251 - Mac and Linux and Windows web version

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Steam's deal of the day is the full Divinity Anthology. That's Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2: Developer's Cut in one handy package.

It's a sign from the gods and everybody should buy it to try out, in England at least it's only £6.11 total, which is about $9. Well worth it.

Edit: Importantly though, maybe don't judge any of the other games on Beyond Divinity's merits. It's the dark sheep and they've learned from all mistakes made therein.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Funnily enough, that's the only one I bought at release.

Divinity 2 is really good though.

Edit: It's weird to me that we're excited about replaying OK games from five years ago instead of the newest 2013 RPG. Thank god for Kickstarter and the RPGs of next year, yes?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 4, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

Funnily enough, that's the only one I bought at release.

Divinity 2 is really good though.

Edit: It's weird to me that we're excited about replaying OK games from five years ago instead of the newest 2013 RPG. Thank god for Kickstarter and the RPGs of next year, yes?

What's the newest 2013 rpg?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Satanos posted:

Steam's deal of the day is the full Divinity Anthology. That's Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2: Developer's Cut in one handy package.

It's a sign from the gods and everybody should buy it to try out, in England at least it's only £6.11 total, which is about $9. Well worth it.

Edit: Importantly though, maybe don't judge any of the other games on Beyond Divinity's merits. It's the dark sheep and they've learned from all mistakes made therein.
Thanks for the tip. Handily you can also buy them separately at a discount, if like me you only want Divinity II.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

What's the newest 2013 rpg?

Well, that's why I really am thankful for Kickstarter. There really isn't one like there should be. If you haven't played Divinity 2 and you like RPGs definitely go ahead and get it.

VVV Great!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 4, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mozi posted:

Well, that's why I really am thankful for Kickstarter. There really isn't one like there should be. If you haven't played Divinity 2 and you like RPGs definitely go ahead and get it.

Divinity: Original Sin is coming out in 2013, actually. Either October or November, if it doesn't get delayed. Wasteland 2 is set for a 2013 release as well - one of the first major Kickstarter projects to come to fruition.

And then there's also Dragon Age III, which I guess will allow us to compare.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Divinity: Original Sin is coming out in 2013, actually. Either October or November, if it doesn't get delayed. Wasteland 2 is set for a 2013 release as well - one of the first major Kickstarter projects to come to fruition.

Don't forget Shadowrun Returns which is supposed to release in early summer 2013.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Banner Saga released an update today saying they're aiming to come out this year as well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I glanced at Dragon Age 3 and my subconscious purposefully misread it as The Witcher 3, and then I got excited that it would be coming out later this year. Then I checked the website and realized that it wouldn't be released until 2014...so gently caress my subconscious, is what I'm saying.

Also, I think you guys have forgotten the Obsidian rpg, Southpark:3:. I'm cautiously optimistic, actually.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Drifter posted:

Also, I think you guys have forgotten the Obsidian rpg, Southpark:3:. I'm cautiously optimistic, actually.

I'm kinda torn on that one, in that I'm not really a fan of Southpark but I love Obsidian's games. Things have been really quiet on that since THQ died, hopefully Ubisoft will have something to say soon.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Doublefine's Broken Age is supposedly coming out in the second quarter this year. Which in normal non-financial speak is sometime in the next 3 months.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe semi-related to RPG talk, but Star Command is supposed to be releasing sometime soon. Finally.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Satanos posted:

Goddammit!

I just bought all three games yesterday for €30 :(

And I couldn't really get into Divine Divinity, the odd isometric angle and something about the controls just puts me off. Divinity 2 Director's Cut is hella awesome, though.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Infinite Space 3 kickstarter just launched. I was really excited until I realized it was the OTHER Infinte Space when I really loved the DS title. Oh well, Strange Adventures and Weird Worlds were pretty cool too. I'm still waiting for Drox Operative to go on Steam to get my space roguelike kick.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Tagichatn posted:

Infinite Space 3 kickstarter just launched. I was really excited until I realized it was the OTHER Infinte Space when I really loved the DS title. Oh well, Strange Adventures and Weird Worlds were pretty cool too. I'm still waiting for Drox Operative to go on Steam to get my space roguelike kick.

You could buy it elsewhere and then if/when it does get on Steam just email the developer and he'll email you right back with a SteM key for it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Shovel Knight just announced that Manami Matsumae, the original composer of Mega Man's soundtrack, will be doing two tracks for their game. :stare:

That's kinda awesome.

quote:

"This is the first time I'm working on a Western game! It's quite exciting! Shovel Knight and I are a good fit. So... let's get shovelin'?"

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Tagichatn posted:

What the gently caress. I got Strange Adventures when they were selling it in CD form on a lovely website and it turns out they've been making a whole series? drat I got some catching up to do.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kenshin posted:

Shovel Knight just announced that Manami Matsumae, the original composer of Mega Man's soundtrack, will be doing two tracks for their game. :stare:

That's kinda awesome.

Yeah this is pretty rad. I wonder how that'll work out and how they'll collaborate.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

I've never played any of the Divinity games but I find it slightly hard to believe that any CRPG fan (with an extra $20 laying around) could watch the Kickstarter pitch and go "eh, that looks ok I guess. I'll probably buy it but I don't feel like backing it."

Given, it looks like the Kickstarter will succeed, but why would you not essentially pre-order a copy for cheaper than you'd pay if you waited and at the same time help the final game be way better than it would otherwise be? (aside from fears that the game won't be very good, but based off of reviews of their previous games and what they're already showing of this one doesn't seem to be like a huge risk)

Because at release, Divinity 2 Ego Draconis was terrible, and it needed essentially a reworked re-release (Flames of Vengeance / Dragon Knight Saga) of the game to be good. You had to buy the new expansion to get the bugfixes for the core game, including the reworked ending. So yeah, it is a risk.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Kenshin posted:

I've never played any of the Divinity games but I find it slightly hard to believe that any CRPG fan (with an extra $20 laying around) could watch the Kickstarter pitch and go "eh, that looks ok I guess. I'll probably buy it but I don't feel like backing it."

I don't know. There seems to be a heavy focus on co-op and despite the dev saying that single player will be every bit as rewarding I don't believe them. I feel like this is going to be one of those games that you have to play with another person in order to enjoy and I'm simply not interested in that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Line Feed posted:

I don't know. There seems to be a heavy focus on co-op and despite the dev saying that single player will be every bit as rewarding I don't believe them. I feel like this is going to be one of those games that you have to play with another person in order to enjoy and I'm simply not interested in that.

I think that's why they're doing it turn-based combat - because in co-op you're each doing your thing, while in single player it's just a normal party based rpg.

I honestly think it can work perfectly both ways. I don't want to disregard your opinion at all, because it's totally valid, but I don't believe it should be that big a concern to have.

But, I guess the question that should be asked is what you consider rewarding. From how I understand things, the single player and co-op differ only in that one player controls only one character apiece (co-op), instead of one player controlling both. It seems like a rather seamless transition from SP to Co-op. The story elements sound as though they are the same.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 5, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think you'll need another person, you can give the AI character one of several set personality types (I don't know how many - I'll try and get an estimate) for use in the dual dialogue system, or you can select "loyal friend" (always agree with you), or manual control over both sides of the conversation. I plan to always give the AI character some consistent type so there's always the chance for surprise.

In combat, single-player will mean you control all the units instead of only half in co-op.

Here's a video:

Single-player Presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKYGpGJKXA

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tagichatn posted:

Whoa, holy poo poo. I'm on this like a Tchorak on a crystal fish, but drat do those pledge levels ramp up fast.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Shalinor posted:

The Broken Valley track is still one of my favorites in games. The whistling gets me every time. (the OST is very worth snagging)

Yeah, that track. When I heard it that's probably when I broke and started lovin the game instead of hatin it :unsmith:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tagichatn posted:

The original was a lot of fun, and had some good mods, so it's worth $10 just as a thank you for the original.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Right, I'm just dense and oddly piqued by things, I dug around a bit this morning was right that there was another D20 WoM-ish KS project awhile back---turns out it was the same folks under a different guise in Empires of Sorcery: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lucid-dreamers/empires-of-sorcery

So, this actually makes me pay more attention to Worlds of Magic, in that this is the first KS I can think of that decided to try to go bigger and bolder on all fronts, to say nothing of jumping out of USD into another currency, after the initial modest round didn't work out as opposed to trying to streamline and niche target even moreso.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, that track. When I heard it that's probably when I broke and started lovin the game instead of hatin it :unsmith:

Kirill Pokrovsky's soundtracks are just so good. I'm glad they've got him onboard for Original Sin and, presumably, Dragon Commander.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Kenshin posted:

That's kinda awesome.
Nah, that's just regular awesome. There is no better person they could get to compose the music for the style of game they're making, except maybe the guy who did the original DuckTales soundtrack (given the similarity between the shovel and the pogo stick, from the videos), Hiroshige Tonomura.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Only 8 hours left on the Torment kickstarter if you want in on it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

Looks like they will probably beat Project Eternity on kickstarter funds. Currently at 3.9 million.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Harlock posted:

Maybe semi-related to RPG talk, but Star Command is supposed to be releasing sometime soon. Finally.

I just received an update that they're submitting it for approvals. I've been playing Game Dev Story to prepare!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Kenshin posted:

That's kinda awesome.

I was kind of ignoring this game, there are just so many side scrollers on Kickstarter, but this news got me in at the soundtrack tier.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah this is pretty rad. I wonder how that'll work out and how they'll collaborate.
According to the label representing her, she'll be handling the music for two as-yet-undecided levels.

Tagichatn posted:

I'm pretty pumped for this. I loved Weird Worlds, even if I found the combat kind of impenetrable. It'll be interesting to see if they've taken any ideas from FTL, since that game was inspired by the previous Infinite Spaces.

Pity to hear about their artist, though. :( Hopefully whoever they get to replace him picks up the slack.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Have there been any updates on Jane Jensens kickstarter? The lady who wrote Gabriel Knight.