Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

I know, and that's funny as hell what with the whole femshep trooper thing, but I meant I'm surprised that they didn't get her to do one of the imp classes anyways. There are a lot of crazy fans that would kill for the chance to play "evil" Bastilla.

More importantly, she's a really good VA who does excellent British accents. Still, I think the female Imperial VAs are universally good anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

What else has the female Sith inquisitor been in?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thunderfinger posted:

IIRC, nothing. She's a Broadway actress.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Thunderfinger posted:

*one quick IMDB*

Basically nothing. Three out of the other four entries on IMDb are "Woman" "receptionist" "reporter". The last is not out yet. I'm a bit suspicious because she does wayyy to good a job at the Sith to have it be her first VA.

I think that one of the worst parts, to me, about the whole "Must have it voiced!" thing, is that it kinda ruins the ability to roleplay. IF you're a female trooper and want to RP as a nasty bitch, the voice doesn't work right.

And even then, sometimes the voice WORKS, but it's in such a way that you feel like your character is less malacious about what they're doing, and more "sorry I have to burn out your eye sockets with rusted spoons... it's for the greater good!".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calax posted:

*one quick IMDB*

Basically nothing. Three out of the other four entries on IMDb are "Woman" "receptionist" "reporter". The last is not out yet. I'm a bit suspicious because she does wayyy to good a job at the Sith to have it be her first VA.

If I remember the pre-launch interviews right, both the Inquisitor VAs are Broadway actors doing their very first VA gigs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Female Bounty Hunter: Grey DeLisle

Oh now I have to make a flamethrower-centric female BH.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Cythereal posted:

If I remember the pre-launch interviews right, both the Inquisitor VAs are Broadway actors doing their very first VA gigs.

Yeah I recognize a LOT more names on the republic side than I do on the empire side.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Might as well post companion VAs, too.

Vette: Catherine Taber
Malavai Quinn: Richard Teverson
Jaesa Wilsaam: Rachel Leigh Cook
[CLASSIFIED]: Adam Leadbeater
[CLASSIFIED]: None listed

Khem Val: None listed
Andronikos Revel: Steve Blum
[CLASSIFIED]: Azura Skye
[CLASSIFIED]: Edward Hibbard
[CLASSIFIED]: Tony Armatrading

Kaliyo Djannis: Tasia Valenza
[CLASSIFIED]: Ifran Meredith
[CLASSIFIED]: Anthony Cochrane
[CLASSIFIED]: Georgia Van Cuylenberg
[CLASSIFIED]: Deborah Unger

Mako: Lacey Chabert
[CLASSIFIED]: Daran Norris
[CLASSIFIED]: Johnny Young Bosch
[CLASSIFIED]: Neil Kaplan

T7-01: None listed
[CLASSIFIED]: Laura Bailey
[CLASSIFIED]: Andrew Bowen
[CLASSIFIED]: Ron Yuan
[CLASSIFIED]: Joseph Gatt

Qyzen Fess: None listed
[CLASSIFIED]: Jamie Elman
[CLASSIFIED]: Troy Baker
[CLASSIFIED]: Dion Graham
[CLASSIFIED]: Holly Fields

Corso Riggs: Troy Hall
[CLASSIFIED]: Tara Strong
[CLASSIFIED]: Stacy Haiduk
[CLASSIFIED]: Gary Schwartz

Aric Jorgan: Tim Omundson
[CLASSIFIED]: Moira Quirk
[CLASSIFIED]: Tom Kane
[CLASSIFIED]: David Anthony Pizzuto

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't believe I didn't peg Andronikas as Steve Blum. He's even doing the "I have a pretty impressive vocal range but everyone just wants me to do the Wolverine voice" voice.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

Aric Jorgan: Tim Omundson

The best part about this is that I've been watching a lot of Psych over the last few days, so all I hear is Lassiter just without the comedy bit.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bruceski posted:

I can't believe I didn't peg Andronikas as Steve Blum. He's even doing the "I have a pretty impressive vocal range but everyone just wants me to do the Wolverine voice" voice.

Yeah I was amazed that he was Abathur and Dehaka in Heart of the Swarm, because neither of those sounded at all like that voice they always have Steve Blum do.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Wait wait wait one of them is Troy Baker!? Why did I never go far enough to pick him up? Why do I suddenly want to reinstall the game now?

Oh well, there's always YouTube.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, there is exactly one female VA on that list who doesn't voice a love interest, besides the fact that only three of the eight have more than one female VA on the roster. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Also, there is exactly one female VA on that list who doesn't voice a love interest

I'm pretty sure that character doesn't count anyway.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 4, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure that character doesn't count anyway, since it's genderless.

I wasn't going to spoil the trick. :v: Yes, all actual female characters in this game are romance options. The standard pattern is smart guy, mean guy, tough guy, sensitive woman, droid or exotic alien.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 4, 2013

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

In fact, only the Agent and the Warrior get more than one female companion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

caleramaen posted:

In fact, only the Agent and the Warrior get more than one female companion.

And Smuggler.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Coruscant Episode 3: 3rd Floor: Scum, Villainy, and Weapons of Mass Destruction

: So you can kill Imperials, but a guerrilla mentality won't cut it in the big time.
: It's gotten me this far just fine, but why were you looking through my record? Cause whatever you read, what I did wasn't technically illegal.
: What? I just like to know who I'm serving with. Especially if they're giving the orders.
: Oh, never mind then.
: When I signed on with the Deadeyes, my CO was Lieutenant Vorne - certified was hero, as decorated as they come. When he gave an order, we trusted it, followed it to the letter. A squad needs that kind of commitment to operate effectively.
: You saying you don't trust me?
: I'm saying trust requires more than a slick new promotion. Havoc Squad is the Republic's most elite unit. We tackle the missions no one else can handle.
: I wouldn't have been assigned this position if I couldn't, you know that.
: Hmm. Good answer.

: Thanks, Jorgan. I won't let you down. I have question before we leave though. What are the Deadeyes?
: :sigh: I'll tell you on the way.

So something weird happened with the first companion chat. The game crashed pretty much as soon as I started it, then registered the chat as complete. So for a brief overview, Aric Jorgan served in the Deadeyes, an elite sniper squad, right before he got the promotion to lieutenant and the transfer to Ord Mantell. I think that gives him the some of the most actual combat experience of all the starting companions, probably tied with Qyzen Fess and second to Khem Val.

: drat. If they could make politics exciting, I wouldn't mind working here.
: It sure is impressive. This is my first time inside the Senate itself.

: Lieutenant. Congratulations again on your work with the Migrant guild, it was a difficult situation, and you handled it well. Now let's move on to your next target, the Black Sun. A powerful organization composed of Coruscant's most violent criminals.

: We can't let that nerve gas reach Tavus.
: A SpecForce sergeant, Jaxo, has carried out some advance reconnaissance of Black Sun's headquarters. You'll rendezvous with her for a detailed plan of attack. Use all necessary force, Lieutenant, dismissed.

It should also be mentioned, in case you haven't figured it out, that taking a cab is the only way to get anywhere on the planet. There are a good 7 or 8 terminals that you become intimately familiar with over your stay.

: We should stay sharp down here. I doubt the Black Sun is very welcoming toward authority figures.
: It's just a bunch of gangbangers. So what if they have some gas. It doesn't make them any more effective at fighting.
: Neither does being overconfident. Just don't want anything unexpected to get the jump on us.

: And I'm guessing you're our undercover sergeant.
: And you would be right, though I'd appreciate it if you didn't go around telling the whole world. You should already know your job, so here are the finer points. The gas is called Trivoris. Scary stuff - one canister can cover a square kilometer, with one hundred percent fatality inside of ten minutes.
: Can't say I'm too excited to be near this stuff.
: No joke. Volunteers aren't exactly lining up for the pleasure. Lucky for us, it's pretty easy to neutralize Trivoris - at least while it's still in the canister. Here.
: What's this?
: The compound in this bottle renders Trivoris completely inert on contact. Just pug it inside the Black Sun base and the whole batch is history.
: Remind me again why we can't just shell the place?
: It's a gas. it'll just disperse into the atmosphere.
: drat.
: You also have another objective. A few hours ago, a bright red case was moved into the Black Sun's base under heavy guard.

: One last detail. There are signal jammers all throughout the base, so General Garza won't know to send help if you get in over you head.
: I'll be sure to stay alert, Sergeant.
: Just wanted to make sure you got all the facts. Good luck, Lieutenant.

: Sergeant!
: :sigh: Let me get something ready then.

: What the hell is that?
: Something I keep for emergencies.
: You look ridiculous.
: This coming from the woman who's climbing crates to reach a box.

: Ahh, alright let's get to saving the planet.
: Yeah, before that, how are you going to get down? In case you missed it, there aren't any ladders up here.
: What? Is that why you wore that thing?
: In emergencies it can double as a parachute.
: Ah, hell. When we get back to base I'm going to requisition some sort of anti-falling device. Sorry knees, time to take one for the team again.

: Well it wasn't all that heavily guarded. Let's open her up.

: So what is it?
: It's a blaster? Looks pretty high-tech. Hold on to it for me, we still have to find those canisters.

: Alright, I think we're done here. Let's get back to Sergeant Jaxo.

: Mission complete.
: Great, how about that red case? Were you able to grab whatever was inside?
: Here you go, Sergeant.
: I've never seen one quite like it. Must be some sort of new prototype. Guess we're done here, then. It's been fun, Lieutenant. I hope we get to run together again sometime.
: You stay safe, Sergeant.

: What's wrong? You need a Senator dead or something?
: No, absolutely not - tempting as it may be at times like this. Despite my best efforts, three member of the Senate Defense Committee have learned about Havoc Squad's defection, and they want to know the specifics.
: Oh crap. Can't we just tell them no?
: These bureaucrats control our funding and jobs, Lieutenant. When they ask, we answer. Now, I'm barred from influencing your testimony, but I will remind you that the more information that becomes public, the harder our job becomes.
: Are you telling me to lie to the Senate, General?
: I never told you to lie. That would be illegal. I have merely reminded you of a relevant fact. The Senators are already waiting for you. Hurry back to the tower and get this over with. Garza out.

: Politics and lying. I think I'd rather just go back to war.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 5, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I like that it's the red Sith who're both obsessed with the little boxes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I guess Jedi Knights and Troopers both wear Heavy Armor, so maybe it's just the stuff with the best stats, but Todessa wearing the midriff-belt combo was a surprise.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dolash posted:

I guess Jedi Knights and Troopers both wear Heavy Armor, so maybe it's just the stuff with the best stats, but Todessa wearing the midriff-belt combo was a surprise.

I was glad to be rid of that thing the moment I could.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I like that it's the red Sith who're both obsessed with the little boxes.

True Sith can sense power, even in the most inconvenient of places. :v:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Coruscant Update 4: Rough Justice

Begin recording

I ran out of the Black Sun base and quickly made my way to the district. However before I could make it to the taxi rank I was ambushed by yet another of Coruscant's police officers.

: Jedi! Haven't seen one of you guys in ages. Not that I'm surprised-this place is a mess. I used to be proud to say, "Lieutenant Doorn, Coruscant Security Forces." These days, it's just a job. Doesn't even pay the bills.

: Sounds like things are rough.

: Yeah, and it just keeps coming. Now some stupid holodisc was stolen, and the commander wants me to deal with it! I don't have the manpower to recover stolen intelligence! I--I can't just pull a commando unit out of my helmet can I?

: Are you always this open with people?

: Look, I am telling you this because you look like you could actually help me. Here's the deal: You probably don't know 'em, but they're these weird secret passages running all over the planet. Funny thing is, we didn't even know about these passages until the schematics were stolen off an old databank!

: Apparently, you guys didn't need the schematics anyway.

: Yeah, but now the commander's realized that they exist, he wants to make use of them. Figures don't it? But the schematics weren't taken by some gutter thief. They were taken by the blasted Justicars! Crazy vigilantes--the Justicars are armed to the teeth. Most of my security officers just flat out refuse to tangle with them.

: Isn't that their job?

: Like I said, we don't get paid enough to stick our necks out too far. There's another detail: we don't know where the Justicars took the stolen schematics. An agent from the Strategic Information Services was assigned to track the thieves, but she hasn't reported back in.

: Some people are simply beyond helpless.*Cough*Coruscant Security*Cough*

: Oh, She's probably fine. You know how flaky intelligence types can be. Her name is Fieler Dan. A little old and a little batty if you ask me. Fieler's last known location was in Justicar territory. If she's done her job, she should know where to find those schematics.

: *sigh* I better not come to regret this,

: Now keep in mind--worthless as they may be, we're under strict orders to make sure those schematics aren't leaked to anyone. So after you find old Lady Fieler and recover the schematics, you make sure to bring them directly back to me, that's critical.

One long taxi ride and a longer run through the Senate later.

: A Sith, working as my chief scientist! How can I defend the Republic if I can't trust my own people? Tarnis's entire engineering team vanished along with the Planet Prison. They're all traitors too!

: Tarnis couldn't pull this off by himself.

: I've known that team for years; I never saw a hint that they were anything less than patriots. Tarnis will use the Planet Prison against Coruscant. He could trap us here forever. Paralyze the Republic by holding us hostage. You're our only hope of stopping that.

: I'll stop him, General--but I need to know where he is.

: That's where I come in. I just traced the Holocall we intercepted from the Black Sun base. Tarnis was communicating from down in sector 439.

: Justicar territory! Tarnis knows we're not welcome here. Justicars are paramilitary vigilantes. They took over a sector--cut ties with the rest of Coruscant. And they don't like visitors.

: You called them vigilantes. Explain.

: Many Justicars are ex-republic military who came home to find gangsters controlling their neighbourhoods. They believe the Republic abandoned Coruscant to crime, so they've taken matters into their own hands. The Justicars are well trained and well armed, but they don't concern me. It's the Sith Lord I'm worried about.

: You shouldn't face Tarnis alone. I may only be a Padawan, but I can help you.

: What do you think General?

: An excellent idea. In fact, I insist you take her.

: T7 = wait here // Kira + Jedi = be careful + be fast.

: Stop Tarnis before he uses the Planet Prison against us. The fate of the Republic rests on your shoulders, Jedi. May the force be with you.

SWTOR Codex posted:

Kira Carsen

Prone to cynicism and a stubborn independent streak, Kira Carsen is an improbable recruit to the Jedi Order. This is partially excused by the fact that she began her Padawan training as a young adult; Kira had spent most of her life up to that point as a homeless drifter, scraping out a miserable existence on some of the galaxy's most unpleasant worlds.

Thanks to her hard-luck upbringing, Kira has considerably more life experience than most Jedi--and a world-weary sophisticate's attitude to match. In the eyes of her peers, Kira is someone who refuses to take anything seriously or fully commit to the Jedi path,

Those who look more closely, however, might detect the glimmer of an optimist peeking through Kira's sarcastic facade. Despite her insistence on questioning its teachings, she has a deep appreciation for the comfort and relative safety she obtained by joining the Jedi Order.

Likes: Being funny, getting involved, mocking and defeating the Empire.
Dislikes: Bullying, acting like a mercenary, cooperating with Sith.

Primary Stat: Willpower
Secondary Stat: Endurance

Primary Weapon: Double-Bladed Lightsaber
Secondary Weapon: Focus

Another Taxi ride later...

The Justicar district looked more like an armed encampment than a determined citizen militia protecting their neighbourhood. Patrols and checkpoints were everywhere, and what few civilians I could see were downcast and withdrawn.

SWTOR Codex posted:

The Justicars

Formally known as the Justicars' Brigade, this militia was formed in the years after the sacking of Coruscant, when a crime syndicate began seizing control of Coruscant's lower regions. The Republic Senate lacked the resources to challenge the syndicate-later called Black Sun-and withdrew its security forces.

Outraged at Black Sun's treatment of local citizens, a group of ex-military individuals formed the Justicars, intending to retake their neighbourhoods. However, eliminating Black Sun and regaining control proved more difficult that the Justicars expected. They took extreme measures to restore order, beginning with a simple curfew and culminating in the imposition of marital law.

The Justicars have now instituted checkpoints and armed guards throughout their territory, acting with lethal force against anyone lacking "proper clearance." Their unshakeable belief, that this is necessary to keep people safe only makes the justicars more dangerous. Coruscant's government has declared the Justicars a threat to be dismantled and the Justicars have cut off all communications with outsiders.

Standing around was a Republic security agent. In full uniform and in the heart of a territory that hates the Republic. To think there are people who wonder why Republic Security is the butt of everyone's jokes. Taking pity on the man, I walked over curious as to what he wants.

: Um... excuse me. Excuse me! Master Jedi? No, no, don't look at me, just look casual. Act like you're not talking to anyone. My name's Jaffkee. I'm with Republic Security. Is the street clear? Any Justicar patrols?

: You've clearly lost your mind.

: What? I'm--no, no, that's not it at all. I'm just trying to warn you, is all. I already tangled with the Justicars. Trust me, you don't want to underestimate these guys.

: If you survived the Justicars can't be that tough.

: I'm only alive because I ran. Hard. Republic Security was actually excited about the Justicars at first. A bunch of ex-military guys forming a militia to take back the streets!

: The Justicars weren't the allies you'd hoped for.

: Republic security hoped the justicars would work alongside our officers--bring order to Coruscant's lower levels. But they pushed out the Republic forces just like they did the criminals. They keep the peace down here, but they definitely aren't on the Republics side.

: If the Justicars aren't working with the Republic, then who are they working with?

: No clue. They pushed out Black Sun and the other criminal groups, but their goals are still a mystery. We've tried to run surveillance on their activities, but their signal jammers block every attempt. I thought disrupting the jammers would be easy, but the Justicar patrols are everywhere.

: Seeing as how I'm here now I suppose I can help.

: I...yes! Yes, that'd be great! I built the devices to disrupt the Justicars' jammers. They just need to be installed--can you do that for me?

: I suppose I can do that much for you.

: Thank you so much! Here take the devices. They need to be planted at several points around the district. That's the tricky part--Justicar patrols are everywhere. Once you've planted the devices, make your way back. Good luck, and... Thanks.

I made my way through the district to the last known location of the SIS agent. I was stopped by some small human child, I was never any good at estimating the ages of humans but I guess the kid was somewhere in the region of ten years old.

: Ex--excuse me. You do not look like a Justicar. I hope... The Justicars say they are protecting us from the Black Sun, that they're better than the gangs are--but they're not! I hate them! You're... you're really not one, right? I don't want to get in trouble. Like Braedon did.

: I'm not from Coruscant. I'm not in any of the gangs.

: Please, can you help me rescue Braedon? He's my brother. He's only fifteen, but they think he's older. They say they "indentured" him because he broke one of their stupid curfew laws. So they lock him up all day and make him fight Black Sun all night. He's going to die!

: Who exactly has your brother?

: They're I don't know, cops or soldiers or something. But they act like just another gang. Please help me! To get to Braedon, you'll need some special belt that they all wear. It's the only way to get past the security field where Braedon is. Please bring him back to me.

Fieler Dan was supposed to be undercover as junk dealer in the rougher part of town. So I made my way inside her shop.

: What do you want? I'm just an old woman minding her own business, haven't done nothing to no one.

: Aren't you a little old for this kind of work?

: If that's what you think, that's what everyone else will think, too. What kind of backup are you, anyway? Republic security needs to get its act together! Downright insulting this has taken so long!

: The important thing is that I'm here now.

: I'm grateful; Jedi, but you don't know what I put up with. Unbelievable.
Look, I tracked the data thieves down here, and I'm positive the Justicars took the schematic to their base. Probably to their main computer. You do realise, though, that once you take the schematics back, they'll just gather dust in some security storeroom.

: You might be right.

: Here me out on this... my daughter runs a relief group called "Undercity Assistance." They bring food and supplies to the poor in the lower levels. These schematics would help them avoid the gangs down here.

: The schematics belong to Republic security

: And they'll get them. After a little bit of sharing. Just bring the holodisc back to me after you get it, and I can make a copy for my daughter.

: You're asking me to betray double cross lieutenant Doorn?

: For a good cause, yes. And that fool'll never know the difference. You have all the information I can give. Go pay a visit to the Justicars--and if you want that data put to good use, I'll be here. Oh, by the way there's an undercover journalist around here somewhere. He claims to have a secret that will blow apart the Justicars. You might want to have a word with him.

I soon found the guy she had mentioned lurking in an out of the way corner far from any real Justicar patrols, He must have recognised who I was because he practically danced for joy at the sight of me.

: Oh, Man! A Jedi, in the flesh! Perfect, this is perfect! So my name's Paus, right, and I'm a journalist. The only journalist down here who isn't afraid to dig up the truth! I'm on to something major with these Justicars. I'm gonna blow the lid on all their tyranny and oppression, and show all of Coruscant what they really are!

: I try not to argue with lunatics. If you say, you're on to something, that's great.

: Hey, if its crazy to love freedom and hate totalitarian thugs like the Justicars, then, yeah I am plenty crazy. I'm working on a major scoop, a clear-cut case of wrongful arrest, illegal imprisonment and unjust execution! Proof I need is just out of reach, though. I need a fearless hero to get that evidence. I need you!

: Why approach me?

: Because I can tell! You're brave, You're tough! Everything a hero of Justice should be! Rikeal Lysannis. Son of a wealthy family arrested and executed without trial or explanation. He's the key to everything--the catalyst, the dirty little secret. Nobody's talking about Rikael's death. Not the Justicars, not his family, nobody. So I need the facts, straight from the source: the justicars' tower, and that's where you come in.

: What's in the justicars' tower that will prove your suspicions?

: Interrogation droids. They're the key, Justicars use'em all the time, and they record everything they see. Find the droid that recorded Rikeal, smash it and yank the memory core. You can check the core on the Justicar computers, to make sure you've got the right one.

: Couldn't I bring the memory core back to you? Can't you read the thing?

: But what if you end up with the wrong one? You wouldn't want to have to fight your way back in. All right, then. Soon as you've got the recording I need, bring it back here and we'll show Coruscant the truth about these Justicars! Good luck, buddy, good luck!

No sooner had I finished dealing with my over-eager reporter friend did another man lunge out of the shadows, Nearly scared me half to death, but his intentions were peaceful at least.

: Master Jedi. Don't see too many of you on Coruscant anymore. Certainly not in Justicar territory. Agent Reid Gandon, Strategic Information Service. Notice anything odd down here? Like how quickly the Justicars took control? Weapons and armor don't just materialize out of thin air. The Justicars have a supplier, and it isn't the Republic. You follow?

: You suspect the Justicars of illegal trade?

: And worse. Black market goods are one thing, but trading with the Empire is treason. Whoever's got the weapons runs the show. The SIS needs to know where those supplies are coming from. The Justicars control their own shipping dock, and I'm sure they keep records. I just need someone who can handle an ambush to get them.

: Sounds like you could use a Jedi.

: Get those records to me as soon as you find them. You don't want to get waylaid by the Justicars.

SWTOR Codex posted:

Strategic Information Service

The Strategic Information Service (SIS) is the Republic's premiere intelligence and espionage agency. Chartered and overseen by the Galactic Senate, the SIS is responsible for information gathering and covert operations both inside and out of Republic space, as well as for assisting the military, local law enforcement and the Jedi Order.

The SIS is the latest in a long line of Republic espionage agencies founded and disbanded over the centuries. Originally a monitoring and decryption arm of the Senate library, the SIS rapidly expanded during the war against the Empire. It remains smaller, more focused and comparatively underfunded in comparison to Imperial Intelligence, but has proven its effectiveness many times over.

Although by no means a secret organization, the SIS keeps a relatively low profile. SIS operations are rarely revealed, and its administrators almost never appear alongside Senators or other officials. This is a public relations gambit--the SIS believes that the Republic citizenry would be uncomfortable with the nature of its work, and so avoids attracting attention and unwanted questions.

End Recording

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alright, post updated. Never gonna get the hang of that whole updating from work thing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You'd think if there was a chance the whole planet could get locked in under a shield (thus decapitating the Republic) they might send in a whole army, hell they might bomb the suspected place from orbit and drat the casualties, but no, two Jedi can handle this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The SIS: while the rest of the Republic is incapable of finding their asses with both hands, the SIS have been watching it for weeks. Not that they'll tell anyone that of course, that would compromise their security, but if something goes wrong while the others are scrambling they'll be happy to say "I told you so." Even though they didn't, since it's classified.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #011
Stardate: Four commercial breaks into some must-watch holo-news.

I'm whipping this thing out between news segments. Nobody's mentioned my name yet and I hope it stays that way – I don't need that kind of publicity. Besides, one look at my handsome mug and the paparazzi would never leave me alone again.

Okay, so back to the old Galactic Market.

Me and Corso hit up the Dealer's Den Cantina on the way back out of the Old Galactic Market, hoping Darmas had a fresh lead on Skavak. We'd burned our last credit the last time we'd been through, so this time it was all business.

quote:

Quinine: Kixi did a real number on Skavak's identity record.

Darmas: On a world this crowded with people and technology, he can't hide for long.

Black Sun. I'd heard of them before, some real bruisers and cutthroats. The kind of guys who give criminals a bad name. Skavak sure knows how to pick 'em.

quote:

Darmas: Black Sun is notorious for keeping holorecordings of all their meetings. No doubt they've preserved the highlights of Skavak's visit.

Quinine: I doubt Black Sun lets just anybody peek at their holos.

Darmas: Black Sun fragments its recordings over several computers to prevent unauthorized viewing. You'll have the assemble the relevant footage by accessing each computer.

So it's not the best lead, but until Skavak trips an identity checkpoint it's all we've got. Once upon a time tangling with the Black Sun would've sent me running the other way, but now? Taking down some two-cred thugs feels like my gift to the galaxy.

Beat the hell out of my next stop, since me and Corso still had to confront Senator Kayl about her “friends” in the Migrant Merchants' Guild.

Recommended for the fate of a promising political career
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PPSlen2Glk

quote:

Senator Vanara Kayl: Captain Winborn contacted me. You thwarted an attack that would've killed thousands. You have my gratitude.

Senator Vanara Kayl: Unfortunately, you also have a holo-recording I would like destroyed. Its contents will only cause harm.

Quinine: I don't expect much from my elected officials, but taking credits from gangsters? Seriously?

Senator Vanara Kayl: Many choices only appear foolish in retrospect. At the time, it felt like the right thing to do.

Senator Vanara Kayl: My opponent in the election was a vile man: lazy, stupid and corrupt. He wasn't interested in building, only taking. I had to win.

She's practiced this speech. Probably says in front of the mirror before bed to tamp down her conscience.

quote:

Quinine: Do you hear yourself? After everything that's happened you still won't admit to being wrong.

Senator Vanara Kayl: I'm not wrong. If you'd witnessed the suffering on this world – the poverty and despair – you'd know this.

Senator Vanara Kayl: I stole from those criminals to rebuild Coruscant for its people. Set things right. I'll bring the Migrant Merchants' Guild to justice.

I gotta admit, it was pretty tempting. Kayl was doing a pretty okay job with Coruscant (you know, apart from all the crime gangs out for her blood). Taking a bribe from crooks then not paying it back isn't exactly high treason. Besides, I am still more broke than a Hutt's exercise bike. I bet I could even get a date out of it, see how the Republic's highest live.

But... well, she's a liar. She lied to Coruscant, and she could've been lying to me right there. Lying's great if you're a smuggler getting cargo past some block-headed customs agent, not so great if a whole planet put their trust in you.

Long story short it wouldn't be right.

quote:

Senator Vanara Kayl: You think I'm dishonest. I'm just a realist – but there's no point arguing it with you.

Senator Vanara Kayl: I won't force you to go public. I'll call an emergency meeting in the Senate. Tell them the truth. Let them decide.

Quinine: Coruscant will be rebuilt, with or without you. I promise to help finish what you've started.

Senator Vanara Kayl: Perhaps you should run for office.

Now that's scary. I almost passed out at the idea of so much responsibility and paperwork.

I'm a big believer in second-chances – probably something to do with getting half my face blown off in the army and starting over as a starship captain. I hope Kayl gets one. She had the decency to know she was caught instead of making me step into the spotlight. She didn't have some thugs try throwing me off the Senate tower, either, which I appreciate.

Even Corso, who doesn't have the most finely-honed political instincts, started getting antsy and said it was time to make tracks, and I agreed with him. We didn't want to be anywhere near when the cameras started rolling.

We got most of the way off the Senate plaza before getting distracted. That drat wandering eye of mine caught a Twi'lek giving me the once-over.

I took another look at her and almost laughed. There's no way I had that kind of money.

quote:

Agent Nuris Yorksin: I need help. We've been moving our people into the Finaq Shipping Company for months. We want to stop contraband weapon shipments.

Agent Nuris Yorksin: Now Black Sun's started hijacking Finaq's freighters – killing the crew and grabbing the cargo. If I send in SIS, our cover is blown, we start all over.

Quinine: Just say the word. I've got a weakness for women in uniform.

Yeesh, the job must've been worse than I thought if she was buttering me up that hard.

quote:

Agent Nuris Yorksin: I can offer you a hefty payment if you help us flush out the hijackers and find the freight.

Quinine: I think we can make a few hijackers regret their choice of career.

Agent Nuris Yorksin: Once they're taken care of, we need to know where they take the freight.

Agent Nuris Yorksin: Try checking around the docks. Black Sun's got to have a loader programmed to offload the freight somewhere secure.

After the Kayl job turned out to be a bust I could use some more paying work, and recent experiences have left me sour to the ship-jacking profession. I figured if I'm going down to Black Sun territory anyway, I might as well make the most of it.

We're making our way over there right now. A whole sector run by crooks, while me and Corso watch Senator Kayl on the holonet fessing up her whole dirty story. I'm glad she did it, and not just because I didn't like the idea of getting caught up in some big scandal. People should be able to tell the difference between gangsters and the people they elected to look out for them.

Just got a message on my holonet account. It's the Supreme Chancellor, thanking me for fighting the guild and pushing Kayl to come clean. The Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic just sent me a letter. You know, keeping it casual.

Man am I looking forward to doing something normal, like shooting up a den full of gangsters.

##End Log##

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Has the stupidest light/dark choice involving politics on this planet shown up yet?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Calax posted:

Has the stupidest light/dark choice involving politics on this planet shown up yet?

Once we're through with Coruscant you'll be able to look back and judge which one you found the most galling. I found Senator Kayl's dilemma pretty reasonable, since Darkside options are often "greater good/the road to hell paved with good intentions", especially with the Republic.

Edit: VVVV There's actually a smuggler ability called that. "Shoot First".

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 5, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dolash posted:

Man am I looking forward to doing something normal, like shooting up a den full of gangsters.

Quinine shot first?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

Once we're through with Coruscant you'll be able to look back and judge which one you found the most galling. I found Senator Kayl's dilemma pretty reasonable, since Darkside options are often "greater good/the road to hell paved with good intentions", especially with the Republic.

Edit: VVVV There's actually a smuggler ability called that. "Shoot First".

I'm referring to one that involves the democratic process, a stupid senate aide, and the stupidest LS/DS option around.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Calax posted:

I'm referring to one that involves the democratic process, a stupid senate aide, and the stupidest LS/DS option around.

Oh, THAT one; think that's coming shortly actually. I didn't think it was entirely stupid, though the LS choice involving lying and sabotaging the quest giver instead of just telling them off was a little screwy. The DS choice was more emotionally satisfying given that drat aide though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Shush, you two! That quest is sure to come up sooner or later.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 12: POWER UP!

Previously posted:

CORUSCANT'S infrastructure is in a state of collapse, and only the ingenuity of the mysterious GREE ENCLAVE can repair it. Helping them is the young Jedi, JOLUNE MOL'NEUX, as she searches for the lost NOETIKON OF SECRETS that could cure her dying Master, YUON PAR...

: It looks like this “Lars Baddeg” character has the Noetikon of Secrets, assuming those smugglers weren't lying. I wonder why some vigilante is so interested in old Jedi relics?

: Power. Always power.

: Bleh. I hope he's not another Nalen Raloch.

: Better go tell the Gree droids that I fixed the pipes. Or that I inverse yellow convexed the blue pentahedron, or whatever.

: A group of children was collecting water from the broken hydrosupply and trading it.

: A faulty hydrosupply is not suited for immature life cycles. Sealing the break promotes their safety. Clean life-waters flow and nurture upper levels. The Coruscant sufferer-beings achieve benefits of the enclave's Gree ingenuity.

: You guys like things to be parallel, don't you?

: Your comprehension of Gree linguistics progresses favorably. You evolve accurate insights.

: ...I think I've just been patronised.

: My acknowledgement and appreciations. I continue upgrading Coruscant systems and ensure the clean life-waters flow upward. Accept my unyielding gratefulness. Please assist Hib-R-ak with his black sphere.

: B-but I need to... oh, alright.

: Unhappiness is a sign one has lost one's balance.

: My gyros respond positively. Balance remains stable. Your statement advances nothing.

: I-I thought that was deep. Why does no one like my aphorisms?

: Pat-aK commanded me: Optimize Coruscant's waste processing system. Preserve your organs from filth-disease-poisons. But Ugnaught porcine-bipeds plunder Gree ingenuity from waste processors- with Gree optimization solution stolen, filth-disease-poisons spread uncontrolled. Plagues imminent!

: What would Ugnaughts gain from possessing your technology?

: Many species attempt access of Gree ingenuity. This is no white convex- ah, mystery-puzzle-labor.

: Pat-aK authorizes compensation of Republic credits to the black bisector who repossesses the optimization solution.

: You're asking me, a Jedi, to fix Coruscant's sewerage system? I- no, just... ewww.

: Surprising. Had heard story-myth-legend of Jedi bisectors. Assumed virulent plague contagion would be of concern.

: :sigh: ...I'll handle it.

: That is the expected response, black bisector. Why exhaust respiratory functions on it?

: :argh:

LATER...

: Justicar territory.

: Yeah, I guessed that from all those Black Sunners they had nailed to the billboards.

Gotrut here is an Ugnaught. Ugnaught speech sounds like an angry pig with a terrible smoking habit.

: Cooperate and you won't be harmed. Where's the Gree device?

: Oh, great. I told you guys we should've left that alien thing where it belonged! Take it, all right? We thought we could make it work, but we can't. We'll have to find some other way to save everyone on this level.

: Are the people on this level in some kind of danger?

: Yes. We're not thieves, we're engineers. We work to keep this area clean and safe, but it's getting' harder every day to do that. This level's got a big problem we can't fix- the air filters stopped working, the Senate won't send anybody to make repairs, and things are gettin' bad. We got too many people living in the same area.

: Coruscant's always been our home. We're all here because we believe in the Republic. Can't you understand that?

: You live in squalor, thugs rule your streets, the Senate is content to leave you all to die, and despite that you still believe in the Republic. I think you might be a hero, Gotrut.

: Eh, well... Without our air filters, the smog seeps in fast, which is even harder on the non-humanoids. Pretty soon we're gonna have an epidemic on our hands.

: What do you think I can do about it?

: I don't know. You're working with those Gree, right? Maybe you can put in a word? If we get our air filters workin', you'll never hear from us again.

: I'll tell the Gree representatives about your situation.

Light side choice there, dark siders can tell him to get lost. Which is completely stupid, as it costs you nothing to tell the Gree about the issue, so dark siders are condemning a whole neighbourhood to death for no reason. Gratuitous evil is rarer on the Republic side than the Empire, but there are still a few “total rear end in a top hat” decisions.

: You don't know what this means to use. You're savin' innocent lives.

: Just show it to them. It'll explain everything about our situation.

: Sure thing. I'll get this waste processing tech reinstalled first though.

I've put this image in to show off how Jolune holds her lightsaber while running- the Jedi and Sith characters hold their sabers differently depending on their class- Knights & Warriors hold their sabers forward in a “Western” swordsman stance, while Consulars & Inquisitors hold their sabers behind them in a more “Eastern” samurai (or at least the samurai cliche) style. I thought it was a nice touch.

: I think you'll find the datapad worth reading.

: The Ugnaught porcine-bipeds submit esteem for my efforts and honor my faculties. This is unforeseen pleasantness. With this optimization solution repossessed, Coruscant's waste processors revive. Filth-disease-poison levels recede, plague outbreaks averted. All resolves to purple parallel.

: That involved a lot less sewer diving than I feared. Oh, there's another message coming in...

: The black bisector comes! Pleasing, as it is needed.

: I haven't come anywhere, I was just standing here and... I'm about to be roped into doing more maintenance work, aren't I?

BONUS READER CHALLENGE: Use the phrase “I will use simple-happy language words to help you understand” in the next internet argument you get into. Report back on your opponent's reaction.

: What's with your language, anyway? I can barely understand you.

: The Gree language-form is dissimilar to Basic language-form, because Gree senses are unique red bisectors! Five Gree senses analyze forms. Three Gree senses soak color. So goes language. Other species miscommunicate our language-words.

: Ultimately, diversity is what makes the Republic strong. And keeps the Translator's Union in business.

: Yes. The Republic is point-of-intersection for many, and Coruscant for most. But Coruscant is now our difficulty.

: Repeat that. The Works are where Coruscant's power is generated?

: The Works is very low on Coruscant. There, Gree spawning generators breed electrons for machine consumption...

: Electricity does not work that way, In-iK.

: ...but enemy droid-machines intersect the power conduits and yellow-shift their functionality. Enemy droid machines must stop, and conduits must be fixed.

: Why are the enemy droid machines disrupting the power conduits?

: All droids in the Works were damaged when the Empire attacked. Now they are corrupt. I monitor the power conduits, and know where to implement purple-shifting. As black bisector, you can “take out” many, many droid-machines.

: Excellent- red tangents envelop us! You will do well, black bisector.

: Well, this is the lift down. It shouldn't be too tough to deal with some haywire maintenance droids after everything we've faced.

: Not just droids. Cthon live in Works.

: What's a Cthon?

: Will explain later.

LATER...

: Remember when ask what Cthon is?

: Not now, Qyzen!

: Blaaargghhhh!!!

: Phew... Let's just find the last of the broken conduits and get out of here.

: Here we go.

: Fixed! Hopefully that'll keep Coruscant running for another few ye-*mip mip* *mip mip*

: Sorry, Attros, I got sidetracked. The Noetikons... it's been hit or miss, but I've managed to find some answers.

: I hate to interrupt you, but I need you back at the Embassy. Yuon has taken a turn for the worse. She attacked my assistant, Pharen.

: Yuon is true hunter. Will fight to live.

: I've managed to keep her restrained, but I'm worried what will happen if she doesn't calm down.

: Yes, I was thinking that myself. Come as quick as you can.

: Yes, I think I'd like to break all your bones. I'd enjoy hearing them go pop, pop, pop.

: Fight? I don't know what you're talking about. What's a few broken bones between friends? Want to play?

: Please, Yuon, it's me. Your Padawan.

: My Padawan? I don't have a Padawan. I sent her to fight the Flesh Raiders, and before the day was done, they dined.

: Qyzen, your friend- he was there on Tython, too. He hunted those Flesh Raiders.

: Is so, Yuon. Herald lives, and I.

: Qyzen? Oh no, no. They devoured him too. Let me show you how!

: Aah!

NEXT TIME: I fought the law, and the law won.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

The Works posted:

Impressive as Coruscant’s shining towers are, they could not exist without the less-glamorous Works, the heavy industrial complex deep below in the lower levels. The Works is home to Coruscant’s hydrosupply stations, pollution-processing plants and electrical generators, staffed by droids who can survive accidents in the Works’ dangerous machinery. Some of Coruscant’s more desperate homeless hide in the Works, tapping the pipes for water and sleeping under the power conduits to keep warm. Occasionally they will break a major pipeline, causing blackouts and water shortages on the levels above. One Senator, while demanding harsher penalties for vagrancy, found his water supply mysteriously cut off forty times in a month.

Cthon posted:

Cthons are vicious humanoids that have plagued the underworld of Coruscant for centuries, though some have found their way or been smuggled offworld. Swift to mutate from generation to generation, nearly blind despite their unusual eye structure, cthons find their prey by listening for movement and feeling vibrations through Coruscant’s substructures. Many of the lower level’s more superstitious believe the cthons were originally Coruscanti criminals, banished from the upper levels and left to devolve. There is no scientific evidence for this belief. While they usually scavenge from the huge piles of garbage that accumulate in Coruscant’s lower levels, cthons are vicious hunters, capable of bringing down security patrols. Coruscant’s reconstruction has been particularly beneficial to the cthon population, providing new lairs and breeding grounds, not to mention a surfeit of lost and easily preyed-upon refugees.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 14, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Inferior posted:

BONUS READER CHALLENGE: Use the phrase “I will use simple-happy language words to help you understand” in the next internet argument you get into. Report back on your opponent's reaction.

Not like the D&D North Korea thread was getting anywhere anyway. I'm in.

And yeah the Ugnaught voice is so weird. It's just so snorty, it makes me want to clear my sinuses.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Whenever they run out of money in the future trying to make an expansion with voice-work for every class they'll simply switch everyone over to "common Ugnaught, the new galactic trade language" :suicide:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I really like the way the Ugnaughts speak. Certainly more appealing than one class's companion, which is basically a rude-sounding noise generator with legs and a proboscis.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Inferior posted:

I've put this image in to show off how Jolune holds her lightsaber while running- the Jedi and Sith characters hold their sabers differently depending on their class- Knights & Warriors hold their sabers forward in a “Western” swordsman stance, while Consulars & Inquisitors hold their sabers behind them in a more “Eastern” samurai (or at least the samurai cliche) style. I thought it was a nice touch.
There's more variation than that. Jedi Guardians are very foreward with their swords. Juggernauts (the Sith equiv) stand and with the saber hit at their hip point out like a phallus.

I don't know about the multi-saber guys, but these two made me lament making my Sith the Murauder and my Jedi the tank. The sith just looks more badass.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

^^^^^
Yeah, going back to check has shown me that there's more variation between the classes than I thought, as well as the forward/backward saber thing, the Empire classes all have more aggressive stances than the Republic.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Except, of course, for that adorably awkward saber stance from Star Killer in Force Unleashed.
WHICH, I might add, is completely canon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

Dooky Dingo posted:

Except, of course, for that adorably awkward saber stance from Star Killer in Force Unleashed.
WHICH, I might add, is completely canon. :colbert:

As evidenced by his fights with rancors, that stance is quite good for overhead stabbings. I believe it's a knife-fighting stance, or similiar to how one can fight with a tonfa.

But yeah, I'm actually quite fond how how the sith and jedi actually have different ready stances- my sith warrior tends to jiggle his lightsaber a little when waiting, almost looking impatient, compared to the more stoic jedi stance.

• Locked thread