Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, I know the game is cool, I'm just not sure whether that site is trustworthy is all.

edit: link for new page

http://gamedealdaily.com/store/product.php?product=1927

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

horriblePencilist posted:

I always thought DKCR would make a great 3D title, so the announcement was no surprise for me. As much as I would love to play through the Forest stages in 3D, I think I'll pass, though. That being said, if you haven't played the game on the Wii and you don't utterly hate platformers, get this game. It's pure videogame magic.

I don't understand how a game with such terrible controls among other problems could have a reception like this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What "other problems"?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo NA dudes, this site has copies of Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland for $18 shipped:

Can anyone vouch for 'em?

My friend has bought a couple of grab bags from them before so they're not some scam site or anything. I ordered a copy, thanks for the heads up!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

What "other problems"?

Despite being an arcade style 2D platformer the game requires you to stop and solve obstacles before moving on, slowing down the gameplay. Also, it ostensibly claims to be a return of the original game's qualities, but introduces HUD clutter which the original went out of its way to avoid to maintain the sombre and unique atmosphere. It also lacks the haunting and amazingly composed music and substitutes it for standard cartoony fare. It's hardly "Donkey Kong Country Returns" (also a nonsensical title).

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

absolutely anything posted:

My friend has bought a couple of grab bags from them before so they're not some scam site or anything. I ordered a copy, thanks for the heads up!

Several CAG users will apparently vouch for their validity, too. I'm also getting in on this :swoon: fabulous :swoon: opportunity!

I have a question about decorating the exterior of my 3DS XL. Will repositionable vinyl stick to the matte finish or would I need to go with permanent adhesive? A DYI plesioth cutout would look so cool :3:...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

That's good enough for me, I just threw down for a copy. I hope they have enough for the lot of us!

I also realize this'll be the first time I import a game that isn't Japanese. Huh.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
For those that are undeterred by the Japanese reviews/testimonials, Project X Zone has a release date of June 25th in NA.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What did the Japanese testimonials say about Project X Zone? I'm not going to lie, it's going to have to be pretty bad before it stops me from buying a game where Dante teams up John McClaine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think the general consensus was that the character interactions are fun and the sprites look cool but the game itself is slow and boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roguelike posted:

What did the Japanese testimonials say about Project X Zone? I'm not going to lie, it's going to have to be pretty bad before it stops me from buying a game where Dante teams up John McClaine.

It is slow as balls and not in a good way. It's sloggy.

To repost the image from earlier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 6, 2013

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I only played the JP demo, but the battle system made no sense at all.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Yo NA dudes, this site has copies of Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland for $18 shipped:

Can anyone vouch for 'em?

Sold. I've been wanting to pick up a copy for the longest time - money's a little tight right now but I knew I'd regret not getting it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Thanks for the heads up on their reputation, just ordered one too now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Despite being an arcade style 2D platformer the game requires you to stop and solve obstacles before moving on, slowing down the gameplay. Also, it ostensibly claims to be a return of the original game's qualities, but introduces HUD clutter which the original went out of its way to avoid to maintain the sombre and unique atmosphere. It also lacks the haunting and amazingly composed music and substitutes it for standard cartoony fare. It's hardly "Donkey Kong Country Returns" (also a nonsensical title).
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, "HUD Clutter":

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Clutter is the wrong word, I probably just used that because I remember the DKC manual referring to HUDs derisively in that way. To me it does affect the tone of the presentation though. Having Donkey Kong's :haw: face in the corner means it's the antithesis of the realistic approach of the original. It's no longer as if you're viewing real footage of a jungle.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Clutter is the wrong word, I probably just used that because I remember the DKC manual referring to HUDs derisively in that way. To me it does affect the tone of the presentation though. Having Donkey Kong's :haw: face in the corner means it's the antithesis of the realistic approach of the original. It's no longer as if you're viewing real footage of a jungle.

Yeah man life indicators really take me out of the illusion that I'm watching real footage of monkeys shooting out of a barrel like a cannonball

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah man life indicators really take me out of the illusion that I'm watching real footage of monkeys shooting out of a barrel like a cannonball

Man, Nintendo never gets immersion right.

Except for Metroid Prime. Which was Retro. Who did DKCR.

:psyduck:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My problem is I don't want either of those two games.

I'd be willing to swap codes. I have an unused Gates to Infinity code sitting here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What the hell is that life balloon up that top? That isn't realistic jungle visuals.

Seriously, DKC had its hud popping up constantly. It popped up any time you got a bananna, a coin, a life, a KONG letter, anything. If your immersion is broken by a smiling face then it must have been broken constantly as the HUD kept popping up in the original.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 6, 2013

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'd be willing to swap codes. I have an unused Gates to Infinity code sitting here.

Swap codes with me instead. I have a stack of codes waiting on July.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
It's clear it's a non-issue to everyone else, so I'll restrict myself to saying that the original used a certain unique style that I feel DKCR abandoned, which for me made it more generic.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
The Donkey Kong Country games were kind of dark, but not in a angsty or evil way, just surreal.

Returns is majorly cartoony. It's probably how Nintendo really wanted the series to begin with. It just rubs you the wrong way, right?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The original game is really loving ugly in my opinion and it doesn't control that great either. I didn't enjoy it as a kid and I didn't enjoy it as an adult when I played it on an emulator or VC or wherever it was. I'm interested in playing DKCR and seeing how I feel about it but I've watched enough footage from Let's Plays to know that it looks better and seems to be snappier too, with the exception of the waggle.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Edoraz posted:

The Donkey Kong Country games were kind of dark, but not in a angsty or evil way, just surreal.

Returns is majorly cartoony. It's probably how Nintendo really wanted the series to begin with. It just rubs you the wrong way, right?

Yeah that's pretty much it, at least in terms of the aesthetics anyway. I think my criticism of the mechanics is less subjective.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Really if your main criticism of a game lies squarely on its inability to come off as realistic and/or fictional, then why are you playing Nintendo games? They are the prime definition of cartoony. Youre leading a gorilla through levels to rescue your storehouse of bananas that were stolen by walking crocodiles. If anything, DKCR captures the absurdity of it all with its style more than the originals, in my opinion.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The Mario series however is based on true stories, turtles and all.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Swap codes with me instead. I have a stack of codes waiting on July.

Okay.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

Uh, are you retarded? It's based on that major motion picture about the mushrooms and T-rex CEO sorta guy.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

Louisgod posted:

It's true I am one of those turtles

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CousinKevin posted:

It's true I am one of those turtles

Hello I work for Kotaku could I please have an exclusive interview?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Uh, duh? Everyone knew that.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
DKCR 3D is a must-buy, even though I completed the game on Wii a few years ago. Waggle-roll notwithstanding, it is one of the best 2D platformers I have ever played, and I'll gladly double-dip.

Oh, and guess which game I saw at a local gamestore here in Finland? Farming Simulator 2013 for the 3DS. Didn't buy it, though, as I can't see how it could be in any way playable on a handheld.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chronojam posted:

Uh, are you retarded? It's based on that major motion picture about the mushrooms and T-rex CEO sorta guy.

Super Mario Bros. The Movie was okay, but I preferred the sequel. You know, the one where said T-rex CEO guy owns a mansion skyscraper and most of the city below it, and Luigi is separated from his brother, so he has to make a living scavenging supplies for the city while also killing the undead ghost zombies. And Luigi almost has enough money to buy a mansion of his own but T-rex CEO guy won't let him so he goes crazy.

That movie is Luigi's Mansion: Land of the Dead.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The one thing that bothered me about Donkey Kong Country is how Donkey Kong manages to have a cave with mountains of bananas, without any of them going off.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I get why you wouldn't like the more cartoony design of DKCR, but I prefer this style over the original 3 games any day. There was way too much black, the realistic elements like monkey noises felt out of place and honestly, I hate the design of the Kremlins. DKCR does so much right, from the great design of the Tikis to the varied yet coherent settings.

What I don't get, however, is that you are irritated by the slow parts that derive from the arcadey gameplay. Wasn't that the point of the original game? A 2D platformer with exploration elements and lots of secrets? In fact, it doesn't feel like an arcade game at all. Then again, I've hardly played the original 3 games, so it's highly likely I'm missing something.

It's just a shame Retro couldn't make the game more true to the concept art. That poo poo is just so drat gorgeous and would have been massively unique.

Makes you wonder what Retro could do on the Wii U, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

The media only covers blonde, white princesses kidnapped by dragon turtles. :argh:

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

VanillaKid posted:

Still impossible to find in Edmonton, too.

For anyone in Canada and trying to find Fire Emblem Awakening (I live in Edmonton myself), my recommendation is to check Future Shop. Last time I went there, I did see a few copies. You can also call the store to make sure they have it and ask to have it reserved for you so you can pick it up later in the day. This is how I managed to get a copy and they were nice enough to hold the very last one they had for me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
DS related but I finally finished Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. It was a pretty satisfying experience overall. I thought the ending was weak and the last puzzle was incredibly tedious but otherwise it felt like I was interacting with a good noir tale about jewel thieves and liars and that was like I said, satisfying. It's a drat shame that we will never see another one of these unless Nintendo owns the rights to the Kyle Hyde series and finds a new developer with Cing gone.

Also, do people really shower as rarely as Kyle Hyde? Dude always just tossed water on his face while lounging in the same suit. Dude must have smelled bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just an FYI: the next major Pokemon XY reveal is scheduled for around 7:30pm eastern(likely a few minutes before that). They are timing it so a Japanese TV show can break the news at the same time.

• Locked thread