Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

maninacape posted:

Also, is it just me or did that first soldier look like one of the dudes that Spartacus whipped with wooden swords in season 1 (Glaber's man)?

I noticed this as well. I wonder if it's actually the case.

On another note, last episode, did anyone notice Tiberius taking time to find "the proper angle," when taking off Crixus' head? It's not an easy thing to do of course. I thought that was a nice allusion to one of Crixus and Naevia's first conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GIF dump:

I'll have a Crixus lamentation one up in a bit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

teagone posted:

Someone just needs to photoshop in like two dozen beer bottles and this would make a hilarious Bud Light commercial.

Amazing episode, going to be so sad when it's finally over :smith:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
The guy who called for Rhaskos must have been his brother in-character, and played by the actor's brother at least. I spent most of the crowd gladiator battle weirded out because he looked SO MUCH like Rhaskos, and wasn't sure if it was just coincidence or not, until the very end when he called his name. Definitely an amazing episode, was cheering and cackling the entire time. I wasn't surprised at all when I saw Michael Hurst in the Director's credit. Dude's directed pretty much all my favourite episodes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

teagone posted:

GIF dump:

I was going to say you were a gentleman and a scholar but ...

You are a bro and I would definitely shake forearms, that is more appropriate.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Oh man, what an episode. When Gannicus entered the arena, and his music started playing, I threw my hands up in the air the same time he thrust his swords to the heavens. Thing is, it wasn't really a conscious decision...

God, I am going to miss this show... :smith:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This was a surprisingly really fun episode.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
This episode was one of the best. I really loved the scene of the dude getting flipped into the crowd OH MY GOD THERE IS A GIF OF IT THANK YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Couldn't figure out how to get the fire to be more seamless. Oh well!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the best thing about this episode is the massive payoff for everything they've done with Naevia this season. All throughout the episode they continue making you dislike her, right up to suggesting that she might kill Kore, so much so that I actually didn't want it to be her who got to kill Tiberius.

Then she chooses to let Tiberius live and she's redeemed and there's a hope she gets some measure of peace.

I can't wait to see what they do with the finale because even though we know the story ends in defeat (final episode title: 'victory') they'll obviously spin it in some way so that it isn't a tragedy and we're happy with the ending the characters get. Or at least, I hope they do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alright, last GIF before I crash.

DrinkMoreBeer
Jan 23, 2006

by toby
Agron lives!! gently caress yeah!!! I don't think I've been happier to see a character on TV alive. Listening to him getting crucified was pretty harsh, though.

Nice to see Tiberius getting stabbed by Kore. The little fucker deserved worse.

Alchenar posted:

I think the best thing about this episode is the massive payoff for everything they've done with Naevia this season. All throughout the episode they continue making you dislike her, right up to suggesting that she might kill Kore, so much so that I actually didn't want it to be her who got to kill Tiberius.

Then she chooses to let Tiberius live and she's redeemed and there's a hope she gets some measure of peace.

Going to have to disagree with you there. I didn't feel any payoff whatsoever, she still annoys the hell out of me. I think it's her eyebrows. They make her look perpetually angry.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

DrinkMoreBeer posted:

Agron lives!! gently caress yeah!!! I don't think I've been happier to see a character on TV alive. Listening to him getting crucified was pretty harsh, though.

I think that's why they delayed the broadcast by a week. Showing a guy getting crucified then surviving would be seen as pretty poor taste on Good Friday.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

maninacape posted:

Look at me talking way too much about this show.

That's a thing?

Awesome episode. Emotion. Speeches. Catharsis. Brutal kills. And most of all. Tiberius being humiliated and killed. I didn't mind his quick death so much, because he got to find out how he fared in single combat against even the weakest of Spartacus's inner circle, completely pulverising any pretensions he might have had towards being 'the one who beat the Undefeated Gaul'.

:black101: :black101: :black101: CRIXUS! :black101: :black101: :black101:

Bring on the finale, so we can wrap this series up in a nice bow. An admittedly girly image for this series, but hey. And bring on Spartacus: The Complete Series in a kickass fancy Blu-ray boxset.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Now I want Spartacus to live happily ever after with his new gingerette :smith:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Man this is such a good show. This episode was excellent

I fear the next episode

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Had a massive moronic grin on my face throughout that whole arena scene. I can't wait but also never want to see the finale. :(

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Great episode, was kinda bummed about Kora killing Tiberius, shoulda been Naevia. Also I didn't get why Crassus was a dick to Kora later, being all like "call me dominus from now on".

Also Castus is really hot.
http://vimeo.com/40803376

niethan posted:

I'm guessing they send naevia back to Spartacus with crixus head. And his baby in her guts.

Sup.

niethan fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 6, 2013

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

maninacape posted:

Also, is it just me or did that first soldier look like one of the dudes that Spartacus whipped with wooden swords in season 1 (Glaber's man)?

It's the same actor but he is in the credits under a different name and without nasty scar makeup.

It would be funny if the extras from the arena Capua were in the crowd now as well.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Speaking of the extras, despite the lack of crowd tits, if there's one image that sums up why the extras on this show deserve Emmys, I would say it was this:

It was a pretty convincing performance, not least because I was doing the same thing throughout the majority of the arena sequence.

niethan posted:

Great episode, was kinda bummed about Kora killing Tiberius, shoulda been Naevia. Also I didn't get why Crassus was a dick to Kora later, being all like "call me dominus from now on".

She did still murder one of his guards and run away and join the rebellion he was trying to crush, and he still doesn't know why?

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

vyst posted:

Now I want Spartacus to live happily ever after with his new gingerette :smith:

Speaking of which, she's inflicted me with a terrible case of ginger fever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nah, it was good that Naevia didn't kill Tiberius in a fit of rage. She finally progressed as a character and let him go, even though she could have struck him down right there

dodob
May 20, 2004
Is it wrong that out of all the main characters including those that have we have watched through the seasons, I am most interested in Kore's fate? I hope they give at least a hint of her in the finale next week. Will she confess to everything (obviously not killing Tiberius, that'd bring Caesar down with her), but how else will she explain killing a Roman soldier and joining the other side?

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

CeeJee posted:

It's the same actor but he is in the credits under a different name and without nasty scar makeup.

It would be funny if the extras from the arena Capua were in the crowd now as well.

I'm fairly certain this dude was also in episode four of Blood and Sand as a pit fighter, as well.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Yesssss

Liam sounded great in this episode. Vengeance may have been a little shakey, but he has done a really good job of playing Spartacus, especially in such unfortunate circumstance.

Also I like to imagine John Hannah got to take home that statue prop of himself from the above image.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Gannicus did shove one of the guys off the cliff, but we didn't see the guy go splat and it was blink and miss so I say it doesn't count

How did I miss this the first time? :psyduck: Thanks for the info.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

DarklyDreaming posted:

Gannicus did shove one of the guys off the cliff, but we didn't see the guy go splat and it was blink and miss so I say it doesn't count

He even made it a trick shot by kicking a Roman into another one who went off the cliff.

It was fantastic how Spartacus' words 'I lay choice by the one most wronged by the boy' came true even though he had no idea Kore was the one most wronged.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

DrinkMoreBeer posted:

Agron lives!! gently caress yeah!!! I don't think I've been happier to see a character on TV alive.

This and Gannicus. I'm so sorry i bet against you yesterday bro. I was so worried when he was fighting one more guy that Spartacus.

I think i might just take this as the final episode for awhile. I'm flying to florida to drive back to the west coast next friday. They don't have War of the Damned playing on airport tv i think.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Fragmented posted:

This and Gannicus. I'm so sorry i bet against you yesterday bro. I was so worried when he was fighting one more guy that Spartacus.

I think i might just take this as the final episode for awhile. I'm flying to florida to drive back to the west coast next friday. They don't have War of the Damned playing on airport tv i think.

Yeah, I was actually really worried about Gannicus because the Spartacus Facebook page has these links to "Recap" videos where they interview one of the actors following each episode. Two weeks ago they had Manu Bennett talking about Crixus' death, and they wrapped it up with "And join us next week when we interview Dustin Clare! :v:"

Manu had a shoutout where he thanked "The real Crixus" and pointed at the sky and for reasons I cannot explain I found this hilarious.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
Such a great episode. The little extra bits of characterization while the arena fights were going on and the Crixus chant/shout outs at the end were really cool.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

niethan posted:

There was a great post a couple of pages back about how Naevia's arc this season has essentially been a deconstruction and rejection of the rape revenge plot, and having Kore literally become a slave to her revenge is the best way they could've cemented that. Naevia's choice wasn't a "letting it go" moment (nor should she just let it go), but it does show her returning to a world that's bigger than blind revenge. At the same time, the simple act of making a choice is something of a reclamation of power and agency for her.

I know a lot of posters here have gotten annoyed with her character and I agree that her arc stalled for a couple of episodes, but I like what they ended up doing with the character.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CeeJee posted:

It was fantastic how Spartacus' words 'I lay choice by the one most wronged by the boy' came true even though he had no idea Kore was the one most wronged.

Everything everyone says on this show is true. Even when they are lying. That's what makes it so incredibly well written.

e: ^^ yeah I phrased it badly a page back. She's not 'letting go', but she has taken a step back from being consumed by her pain and has taken control of her life again.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 6, 2013

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I've got an unfortunate prediction for the last episode. I think they're going to go the old-school Kirk Douglas Spartacus route. Gannicus and Spartacus will be captured and forced to fight each other to the death, with the survivor getting crucified. It will serve as Crassus' vengeance for his son being forced to fight in the arena. This episode seemed to really make a point of mentioning how much each of them longs to fight again in the arena (the action slows down, and Gannicus gets very introspective about how much he misses it: "To stand upon the sands again and have a clear purpose, and know who you are, and what must be done."). Gannicus still wants to prove his worth against Spartacus, as he fights 3 soldiers against Spartacus' 2. "Gladiators seek to best all. It is the way of survival in the arena."

Spartacus and Gannicus fought in Vengeance and their fight looked like it could go either way before it was interrupted by Mira shooting an arrow through the neck of that blonde chick. We still need to find out who the greater warrior is. They'll each try to kill each other, but more out of a sense of mercy than competition, as crucifixion is a fate worse than death. Spartacus will kill Gannicus and be crucified, Laetia will find him later and have a final parting, kissing his feet, and Spartacus will gaze at Sura's garter belt, which he has held onto since Season 1.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I thought the whole arena fight dragged on a bit. I didn't feel like any of the characters were in any danger, figuring the writers wouldn't let any of them die to a bunch of random redshirts, so there wasn't really much tension. Spartacus stabbing that guy through the eyes was pretty cool though. I was kinda hoping Naevia would be killed by Tiberius (if they were going to switch things up by having one of the slaves lose, this would have been the fight to do it in), but at least they didn't let her kill him. Tiberius's death was still a bit of a letdown, though. I think he would have deserved whatever Caesar was planning for him more than the rather quick death Kore gave him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LordArgh posted:

I thought the whole arena fight dragged on a bit. I didn't feel like any of the characters were in any danger, figuring the writers wouldn't let any of them die to a bunch of random redshirts, so there wasn't really much tension. S

The scene wasn't about tension (Spartacus even throws his swords away to make that abundantly clear). I'd agree though that it felt that it was dragging a bit.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

As good of a job as Liam McIntyre has done these last two seasons, it really sucks that Andy isn't here to finish the show, or at least see it end.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I think that was the point, though. Spartacus was basically just loving with the Roman soldiers to increase the euphoria felt by the other slaves, much like he did when he fought in the arena to please the crowd.

Professor Internet
Mar 24, 2004

Uhn tiss. Uhn tiss. Uhn tiss.
This is the best show on TV. Going to be sad to see it end.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

LordArgh posted:

I thought the whole arena fight dragged on a bit. I didn't feel like any of the characters were in any danger, figuring the writers wouldn't let any of them die to a bunch of random redshirts, so there wasn't really much tension. Spartacus stabbing that guy through the eyes was pretty cool though. I was kinda hoping Naevia would be killed by Tiberius (if they were going to switch things up by having one of the slaves lose, this would have been the fight to do it in), but at least they didn't let her kill him. Tiberius's death was still a bit of a letdown, though. I think he would have deserved whatever Caesar was planning for him more than the rather quick death Kore gave him.

If Caesar had taken and killed Tiberius himself, he would have said a rebel did it, and the deal would not have been fulfilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

The scene wasn't about tension (Spartacus even throws his swords away to make that abundantly clear). I'd agree though that it felt that it was dragging a bit.

Yes, but without tension things will get stale pretty quickly as there's no reason to be invested in the fight. At that point you're just watching people swing swords at each other, which is only interesting for so long. All I'm saying is they could've shortened it down a bit.

limeincoke posted:

If Caesar had taken and killed Tiberius himself, he would have said a rebel did it, and the deal would not have been fulfilled.

I would've been fine with this.

• Locked thread