Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
UVHM drop rates are a VAST improvement over standard BL2 drop rates and it only took them 7 months to get their heads out of their asses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mastersord posted:

UVHM drop rates are a VAST improvement over standard BL2 drop rates and it only took them 7 months to get their heads out of their asses!

Most of my friends have long since stopped playing this and I haven't been able to motivate myself or them to try out the new patch :effort:. It's good they finally realized that their default drop rates weren't the flawless work of geniuses that they proclaimed, but the boat has long since sailed for a lot of people by now and it only affects UVHM right? TVHM really needed better rates too but at least people won't have to play with the "don't accept quests until you're 50" bullshit design notion anymore.

While Gearbox was already embezzling enough of SEGA's money for this game, I really wished they took time to do TVHM properly. Higher number of enemies, more abilities for enemies, smarter AI, and better loot + new loot combinations would have made it a ton more fun and interesting mode than just a quadratic HP+Damage scaling multiplier which is boring as poo poo. The retention rate would have been a lot higher.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 6, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
That's the thing, I got scared off from playing the game months ago due to how bullshit solo Assassin was in TVHM, and the fact that I could go grinding for hours to get Infinity and never see the goddamn thing. Using weapons from Gibbed's editor helped a bit, but it felt really unsatisfying to just cheat through it like that. I'm glad they finally changed their minds about the stingy drop rates, but it's still ridiculous how long it took them to do so.

I decided to play through Torgue last night before finishing my TVHM playthrough, and it really reminded me of why I stopped playing. All the bosses near the end were really blatantly designed for multiple players, and I had to cheese almost all of them in order to get through. Then I get to the lootsplosion and it's all greens with the occasional blue or purple. :geno:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I decided to play through Torgue last night before finishing my TVHM playthrough, and it really reminded me of why I stopped playing. All the bosses near the end were really blatantly designed for multiple players, and I had to cheese almost all of them in order to get through. Then I get to the lootsplosion and it's all greens with the occasional blue or purple. :geno:

What sorcery is this? We only got commons and a bunch of Eridium.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Mechromancer is very OP with certain builds, but playing her can be kind of hit and miss.

IF YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE. :v::v::v:

If you're gonna play this a bunch with multiple characters it's worth the price. if not then... well... not.

The only thing that's really OP about Gaige is that you can take both Close Enough and Anarchy since that's the easy mode skill negating the challenge of the hard mode tree so you get all the perks with none of the drawbacks. I wouldn't want them to do anything about Close Enough because that's there to make the game accessible to people who can't click men but for people who can its like cyclists doping for the Tour de France, enabling people who could otherwise perform without the assistance to push themselves to ever more ridiculous feats.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Badassasaurus Rex is easily the stupidest thing in that whole DLC. If you're alone there is no force on Earth that will get him to look anywhere but straight at you to expose his critical hit points.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 6, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I don't mind some classes just being more powerful than others since it's a purely-PvE game, but I just wish Gearbox would stop forgetting that there's a guy focused on crits/melee and give him more to do if you're not specced into Death Bl0ss0m. Playing with friends who can do awesome poo poo all day whereas I just have a "run away or do slightly more damage with one shot" ability is depressing. :(

Reiley posted:

Badassasaurus Rex is easily the stupidest thing in that whole DLC. If you're alone there is no force on Earth that will get him to look anywhere but straight at you to expose his critical hit points.

It's awful, I had to just keep shooting him through the door (the fact that I can do this and even walk over to the health dispenser without him resetting is absurd) to beat it. I didn't think they could have a worse boss for solo than Piston's Blimp, but there you go.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The only way I have ever done Piston's Blimp was to just hide in that one house to the left of the elevator and peek out the door shooting at the carriage underneath the blimp. Its pretty stupid but with other Buzzards flying around and swarms of rockets there's really not much else you can do. The gun chair things are basically suicide and God help you if you get knocked off the tower.

Bosses are really not this game's strong point.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

mastersord posted:

That's funny, in my current UVHM run I haven't seen a single goddamn orange gun hit the ground and I'm just past Control Core Angel, but in my normal and TVHM runs I got a reasonable amount.

This may also be because I'm playing it on PS3 and can't fix the drop rates. :smith:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

UVHM is great

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

One and the Same posted:

This. Once you play mechromancer there's a good chance you'll be so drunk on power that you just can't go back. Mechromancer ruined everyone else for me. v:shobon:v

Conversely, I levelled my Mechro to 50, then kept playing her through most of the DLC, and then went back to my Siren to start UVHM. And holy poo poo I'd forgotten how much fun the Siren is to play. As someone earlier said, now there's enough points to spec into Ruin, Converge and Res, I don't think I'd ever go back. She can control any fight, holding up one enemy, pulling the rest toward it and slagging ALL of them, ready for destruction to be rained down is utterly fantastic. Also with good cooldown mods (Class mod and relic) you can do this every 6 or 7 seconds.

Maya 4 life :allears:

Also, I was using level 50 gear until around 54-55 when I started finding stuff to replace my 50 legendaries (Mostly E-tech elementals).

One thing I will say, do not hold onto your fancy rare level 50 shield. Trade that poo poo up as soon as you can, because the capacity of the higher level ones is a whoooole lot more.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 6, 2013

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Similar with my Axton's Turrets. The extra skill points really chew 'em up.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Ok so I just noticed this game has this here new Upgrade Pack DLC thingy.

What exactly does it do other than raise the level cap to 61 and how does it work? The store page is a bit vague, to say the least, on that.
Do I have to play through the game in an NG+ to properly activate it?

Most importantly, can I finally start a new character and have the sidequests scale properly to my level without doing silly poo poo like PT 2.5 and crap like that? That's honestly the biggest issue that keeps me from going back to the game (I want to try the other classes I haven't played yet and while doing so, I want all the quests to properly scale to my level at all times instead of having to play through the game 2.5 times with the same character for this to happen).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Burning Mustache posted:

Ok so I just noticed this game has this here new Upgrade Pack DLC thingy.

What exactly does it do other than raise the level cap to 61 and how does it work? The store page is a bit vague, to say the least, on that.
Do I have to play through the game in an NG+ to properly activate it?

Most importantly, can I finally start a new character and have the sidequests scale properly to my level without doing silly poo poo like PT 2.5 and crap like that? That's honestly the biggest issue that keeps me from going back to the game (I want to try the other classes I haven't played yet and while doing so, I want all the quests to properly scale to my level at all times instead of having to play through the game 2.5 times with the same character for this to happen).

According to this article from PC Gamer (linked from Steam's Borderlands 2 entry):

quote:

Changes in 4/2 Software Update (Free)
  • Adds new items to the Black Market:
  • One additional ammo upgrade for each ammo type at 50 Eridium each.
  • Two more backpack storage space upgrades at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
  • Two more bank storage space upgrades at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
  • Increases the maximum amount of Eridium players can hold from 99 to 500.
  • Adds a new playthrough balanced for top-tier play: Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
  • Various bug fixes.

Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack (Free with Season Pass or $5 separately)
  • Raises level cap to 61, allowing characters to gain 11 additional levels.
  • Characters gain a skill point with every level from 51 to 61, for a total of 11 more skill points.
  • Powerful new “Ancient” E-Tech relics and rare Pearlscent-grade weapons can be picked up in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

Gearbox also delved into the specifics of Ultimate Vault Hunter mode in a separate post:
  • Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode is unlocked for a character once they have completed the main story missions in True Vault Hunter Mode and reached level 50.
  • Unlike other playthroughs, Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode can be replayed multiple times with players able to reset their overall mission progress at any time from the Main Menu.
  • No more tutorial missions—characters in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode begin in Southern Shelf with the “Cleaning Up the Berg” mission.
  • While playing in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, enemies and bosses will scale according to the player’s current level or, if playing with others, the highest-level player in that party.

Gameplay changes in UVHM:
  • Enemy health generally increased 4x.
  • Enemies now have a moderate amount of health regeneration.
  • Increased duration of slag damage multiplier effect.
  • Upped the damage that slagged enemies take from 2x to 3x.
  • Weapon swap speed increased to better facilitate slag use.
  • Enemies now more likely to drop ammo.
  • Loot Midgets are now “Legendary Loot Midgets” that can drop Legendary and other top-tier gear.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Ah great, so I have to play through the game twice with one character to get the "proper" experience :suicide:

Oh well.

Thanks for the detailed reply though!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I believe there's a way to trigger it with Gibbed's editor.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

quote:

Adds new items to the Black Market:
One additional ammo upgrade for each ammo type at 50 Eridium each.
Two more backpack storage space upgrades at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
Two more bank storage space upgrades at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
Increases the maximum amount of Eridium players can hold from 99 to 500.

Holy poo poo. I was so used to not giving a poo poo about Eridium and the Black Market, that I totally overlooked this. :allears:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I think the higher drop rate in UVHM is either a bug or bugged, because the loot's been extremely erratic lately. When I played with my friend the other night, we were getting a few oranges and a pearl. Tonight, after playing for a few hours and even being in a 4-man group, literally nothing higher than blue dropped.

This is really frustrating, considering literally the only reason I decided to play again was for the apparent higher drop rates. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all a fluke and they're still sticking to the same stingy low rates as before.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I've got to sanctuary and every single drop has been poo poo so far and the quest rewards haven't been any better. A 5x3000 shotgun worth 10k? How wonderful!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm on my way to the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve and I haven't had much luck with drops either; most of them are blues that aren't even improvements on my level 50 purples or lovely Spiker pistols. I'm leaning hard on my DP Harolds at the moment.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

AirRaid posted:

Maya 4 life :allears:

Yeah mayas great. I wouldn't want to play her solo though, she seems to work best with a team.

Speaking of, I've been working through tvhm with a few friends recently and haven't really noticed a difficulty increase the likes of which are reported in this thread. We're about to go fight the bunker boss and its been smooth sailing so far.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Did they change anything with tvhm? I got sick of getting put into ffyl geared up with keys. I just want to nuke all the robots drat it. I think I was lv 45 with action before I gave up after trying a few times to get past a badass constructor and loader

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Pumpking posted:

Yeah mayas great. I wouldn't want to play her solo though, she seems to work best with a team.

Speaking of, I've been working through tvhm with a few friends recently and haven't really noticed a difficulty increase the likes of which are reported in this thread. We're about to go fight the bunker boss and its been smooth sailing so far.

Most of TVHM isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but there are some difficulty spikes, mostly relating to attacks that are extremely hard to dodge and knock off 20% of your total health and shields. You have to use cover and not expose yourself to too much enemy fire, which some people feel is antithetical to the Borderlands experience.

Also, I imagine that there are people who don't play the slag/elemental damage game, and just try to kill everything with normal or explosive weapons. That's not gonna get you far when you're expected to be spitting out 4x (6x on UVHM) the damage.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Male Man posted:

Also, I imagine that there are people who don't play the slag/elemental damage game, and just try to kill everything with normal or explosive weapons. That's not gonna get you far when you're expected to be spitting out 4x (6x on UVHM) the damage.

I don't know about that. I've got an Axton who I've slowly but surely geared into what I like to think of as a Torgue Representative. Bonus Package, Slag Turret and a nice purple Spitter all topped off by a 30% Explosive Damage artifact.

All of Pandora explodes under my gaze and it's pretty drat fun. Who needs other elements? Slag 'em and Blast 'em.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

^^^^ Torgue Customer Service Reps :hfive:

Male Man posted:

The feeling I get is that explosive damage is the element for people who don't want to juggle elements since its good against almost everything and weapons don't usually have lower base damage compared to non-elementals like the other elements seem to have, but as a tradeoff the bullets are a lot slower and require you to lead your targets to capitalize on that damage. You need to slag the big guys though, no matter what you're running.

Also it is 100% true that sometimes you need to hide your rear end behind a wall and not get shot. That's not exclusive to cover-mechanic shooters, its a pretty universal constant.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 6, 2013

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

UVHM is great

:drat:

You even got the Torgue grip and sight on it. Hell of a roll.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Reiley posted:

Also it is 100% true that sometimes you need to hide your rear end behind a wall and not get shot. That's not exclusive to cover-mechanic shooters, its a pretty universal constant.

Unless you happen to get a nice roll on a Sham at which point every fight turns into this giant game of Russian roulette And you could either absorb that bandit camp's entire ammo dump or you can get two shot by some crappy, white pistol from three floors up.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Xenaero posted:

Similar with my Axton's Turrets. The extra skill points really chew 'em up.

I can't wait for my double missile launching, slagging, shielded turrets. :neckbeard:

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Hey guys, is it too late to get into this game? Can I start without DLC?

Gravcrash
Jul 28, 2010
Yay, bl2 is fun again! I just got to Sanctuary. Flynt was a pain in the rear end but a nice challenge anyway. Getting ready for the Firehawk mission which I'm dreading. I had a hard time with that in TVHM.
It just makes the game more fun to be able to level up again. After making level 50 and being stuck there took a lot of the fun out of the game for me.

Drop rates do seem higher so far. A legendary grenade dropped after killing Bewm and I picked up a purple Torque shotgun a little further up. I saw 2 e-techs that I didn't want on the boat on the way to Flynt. I also found a cool relic on my way to Sanctuary that I haven't seen before...A 60% increase in damage for Jackobs weapons. Still a small sample size though, so maybe I just got lucky.
UVHM is quite a bit harder but not stupid hard where you constantly get your rear end kicked. Although I've went into ffyl 4 times (twice for being stupid) already, I've managed to get second winds.
At first I thought that trying to get past Boom Bewm the enemies were respawning too fast for single player but no, there was just a lot more of them.
It takes a long time to level up but I kind of like that because there is added incentive to do the side missions along the way.
If switching between weapons rapidly hasn't been your strong suit (like me) you better learn fast! Holy crap 5 armored psychos rushing you at once can be hectic. Also Rakks suck even more now (shakes fist).
The vehicle weapons are more powerful. Mowing down bullymongs is easier.
It looks like I'm going to have to respec my siren more often to be able to deal with different situations unlike TVHM were I was able to keep the same build after reaching level 50. This also makes it more fun for me, which is great.

Overall I'm really pleased with the improvements. It actually looks like Gearbox has listened to some of our complaints and have done something about it. Although I'm sure they won't really admit it.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The UVHM DLC isn't showing up in my DLC owned list on Steam or in game despite owning the season pass (grabbed that and the game on Amazon yesterday). Looking at the Steam discussion page, I'm not the only one with this issue, so that's a bit of a relief. What's weird was that it WAS on my Steam DLC list as owned yesterday.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

misterdoo01 posted:

The UVHM DLC isn't showing up in my DLC owned list on Steam or in game despite owning the season pass (grabbed that and the game on Amazon yesterday). Looking at the Steam discussion page, I'm not the only one with this issue, so that's a bit of a relief. What's weird was that it WAS on my Steam DLC list as owned yesterday.

It's not on my DLC list either, but I certainly have the benefits of the UVHM DLC. Don't worry about it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Jack's body double survived 30 rockets to the face after being slagged, then didn't show up after I respawned. :thumbsup:

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Any advice on gearing up in preperation for the really hard group only stuff? I'm level 61 and just got to Sanctuary. I spent all 15 golden keys I had squirreled away and now have a bunch of pink equipment. (like, there's a dull purple and then a brighter purple/pink weapons that came from the golden chest) Are the pink weapons better than the legendary stuff or worse?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pink weapons are basically alternate purples. That is, they're on the same "level" as them damage-wise, but they have different properties from normal guns. For example pink (e-tech, for further reference) pistols fire darts that will explode after a short delay, e-tech shotguns will fire explosive globs that arc instead of flying in a straight line, e-tech sniper rifles are railguns that have reduced crit damage but can bounce off surfaces or penetrate targets, etc.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

UVHM crystalisks. Any tips?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I know I'm not supposed to spam for invites in-thread, but no one's in the steam chat room so I figured I would also ask here.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

trapt posted:

It's not at all too late to get into this game, they just released a huge update that adds an entire playthrough and an extra tier of lethality to the weapons.

The DLCs are side-campaigns and extra classes, neither of which are vital to enjoy the game.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

trapt posted:

If you (or anyone, really) wants to play in-game just hit me up! My steam name is nutranurse. I'll also hangout in the borderlands goons chatroom.

Also I hate Rakks. I'm getting serious flashbacks to cliff racers.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, add me! I'm doing UVHM with a 56 Mechromancer, trying to avoid sidequests until I hit 61, so pubbie games are risky business.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/protowizard

I'm in the Bordergoons group, but am I correct in assuming that it's functionally dead now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hope and vaseline posted:

UVHM crystalisks. Any tips?

I've had good luck with a Hammer Buster.

• Locked thread