Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just got the first Lagiacrus quest. :ohdear: Is Dual Swords/S&S practical for him, or should I start training with the hammer?

e: What armor set should I move up to from the Wroggi set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

quote:

So who's all beaten offline? I peeked at the key quests and god drat some of them look horrible. Double Duramboros; Mark of the Hero (All with G-rank damage), triple Plesioth...

Man that really looks un-appealing. What's the award for beating all of Moga village?
Those missions just give you super rewards basically. Lots of money, lots of parts, better rolls for rare parts. That's how it was in Tri at least. I seriously doubt they give you any kind of special village-only gear.

I think Alatreon is village only. I've beaten everything but Diablos x2 (for lack of trying), Mark of a Hero and Alatreon. I'm an experienced player but I'm no super pro or min maxer. Oddly enough, the quest that's given me the most trouble so far is Gigginox x3.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 6, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Another dumb newbie question: when do I get the minions?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You get Cha-Cha after you complete the two-star village quests.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just got the first Lagiacrus quest. :ohdear: Is Dual Swords/S&S practical for him, or should I start training with the hammer?

Either should work just fine. Just aim for his head and breast when you can and potentially farm up a decent fire weapon (I recommend the Rathalos/Rathian dual blades, personally) and you should be golden.

e: Honestly you can probably keep going in Wroggi until high rank, but Rathalos armor's pretty good, especially for dual blades. It's got a solid level of attack up and access to speed sharpening, both of which are handy as hell. Be warned, though, its lightning and dragon resists are total crap, so make sure you don't get hit by Lagi's lightning attacks. If you're considering branching out to Hammer/Greatsword, Lagiacrus armor's got ===FastCharge, which owns unbelievably hard.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 6, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, uh, is there any place in particular I can go to swap friend codes Miiverse names with my fellow goons de MonHan?

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Alatreon is village only. I've beaten everything but Diablos x2 (for lack of trying), Mark of a Hero and Alatreon. I'm an experienced player but I'm no super pro or min maxer. Oddly enough, the quest that's given me the most trouble so far is Gigginox x3.

I've finished all the village quests, Alatreon is rumored to be available online if you complete everything or some poo poo. Anyway the reason you do offline Alatreon is to unlock Hallowed Jhen Moran who gives you some ridiculous armor. I think it has sharpness+1 razor sharp and health +50.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, uh, is there any place in particular I can go to swap friend codes Miiverse names with my fellow goons de MonHan?

The IRC.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Seemenaked posted:

I've finished all the village quests, Alatreon is rumored to be available online if you complete everything or some poo poo. Anyway the reason you do offline Alatreon is to unlock Hallowed Jhen Moran who gives you some ridiculous armor. I think it has sharpness+1 razor sharp and health +50.

Online Alatreon is only available through an even quest that hasn't been released here yet.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My buddy is having me hold onto his Wii U while he's out of the country. He already has a save file, so I don't think I can transfer my own save without overwriting his, but is that tool that lets you play online with the 3DS out yet?

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
You can actually have a different save file if you create a new account on the Wii U, I think.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I cut his tail and repelled him in about 5 minutes with the dragon dual swords. You fight him on land too so you should be fine.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Moldy Taxes posted:

My buddy is having me hold onto his Wii U while he's out of the country. He already has a save file, so I don't think I can transfer my own save without overwriting his, but is that tool that lets you play online with the 3DS out yet?

This came up with my roommate and I. Create a new user on the WiiU(from the startup user select screen; or if he has auto-signin enabled, click his little portrait in the main menu to go to the user select screen), and start up MonHun on your new user; you'll have different save data and be able to transfer without ruining his.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

edit: ^^^okay, thanks for the info.

Edilaic posted:

You can actually have a different save file if you create a new account on the Wii U, I think.

That would be preferable if it's possible. I don't hate playing on the 3DS ever since I got a circle pad pro, but I'd also like to not have to go digging around for my ethernet adapter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Goddamn G. Wroggi drained me of 11 antidotes, 3 first aids and 10 mega potions before I finally downed him. That loving poison breath. :argh:

On a related note, can anyone explain how the gunlance dodges work? It always seems to do exactly the opposite of what I want, e.g., sending me into the purple cloud instead of away from it. :saddowns:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: ^ ^ ^ That's pretty much the fight where they teach you to not attack from the front.

Wow, gently caress you Rathian fight. Three full stacks of healing items and I don't even know if I got him staggered before I failed. I feel like I spent half that fight dizzied or reeling back from the scream/landing.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Fungah! posted:

Either should work just fine. Just aim for his head and breast when you can and potentially farm up a decent fire weapon (I recommend the Rathalos/Rathian dual blades, personally) and you should be golden.

e: Honestly you can probably keep going in Wroggi until high rank, but Rathalos armor's pretty good, especially for dual blades. It's got a solid level of attack up and access to speed sharpening, both of which are handy as hell. Be warned, though, its lightning and dragon resists are total crap, so make sure you don't get hit by Lagi's lightning attacks. If you're considering branching out to Hammer/Greatsword, Lagiacrus armor's got ===FastCharge, which owns unbelievably hard.

FastCharge also affects long sword, dual sword and switch axe gauges!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Goddamn G. Wroggi drained me of 11 antidotes, 3 first aids and 10 mega potions before I finally downed him. That loving poison breath. :argh:

On a related note, can anyone explain how the gunlance dodges work? It always seems to do exactly the opposite of what I want, e.g., sending me into the purple cloud instead of away from it. :saddowns:

There should be an option to change how you want the game to have you dodge, either oriented with t the camera or the character model. I prefer the latter, but it took some getting used to.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Ciaphas posted:

Lance and gunlance and I think bows from neutral dodge differently than other weapons. You will always dodge backwards from where you are facing. If you have an attack in there though, you have access to the side dodge. Gunlance gets one dodge while lance gets three in rapid succession.

For G. Wroggi, at least in P3rd, you can actually block his poison cloud and avoid any poison damage.

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009

Machai posted:

Jhen drops ElderDragonBlood, and I swear Ceadus does too (I remember he did in Tri), but the guides I see don't show it. They should drop from every elder dragon.

Confirming that Ceadeus drops ElderDragonBlood. Got one on my first kill.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hypha posted:

Lance and gunlance and I think bows from neutral dodge differently than other weapons. You will always dodge backwards from where you are facing. If you have an attack in there though, you have access to the side dodge. Gunlance gets one dodge while lance gets three in rapid succession.

For G. Wroggi, at least in P3rd, you can actually block his poison cloud and avoid any poison damage.

If you walk into a poison cloud while blocking, you'll get the little animation where you block something. Even if the poison cloud remains there, it won't poison you. This is especially useful against Gigginox's poison body slams.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Moldy Taxes posted:

There should be an option to change how you want the game to have you dodge, either oriented with t the camera or the character model. I prefer the latter, but it took some getting used to.

There is. Check the options. I have it set for character orientation.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Lizard Wizard posted:

There's this thread, which is for general Wii U friend stuff.

I'm still HR1 because I've been fixated on grinding out this Lagiacrus Plate if it kills me, but add me. My NNID is Bohampscious.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've killed maybe three dozen baby Wroggi now and not seen a single wroggi scale. Am I just getting really unlucky?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EthanSteele posted:

FastCharge also affects long sword, dual sword and switch axe gauges!

And bow charge bar!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So how much does having a cursed table really matter? This is my first real MH game and if I have to restart just to be able to play the mid/late game then I'm not even sure I want to play. I'm not even sure if I need to but I wanted to check with you guys first. I don't mind being slightly gimped if it means I can definitely stick with my current character.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ciaphas posted:

I've killed maybe three dozen baby Wroggi now and not seen a single wroggi scale. Am I just getting really unlucky?
Guide says 23% for them, so I guess just unlucky. It'll probably give you a few in the rewards if you kill the Great Wroggi, that might be faster.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

So how much does having a cursed table really matter? This is my first real MH game and if I have to restart just to be able to play the mid/late game then I'm not even sure I want to play. I'm not even sure if I need to but I wanted to check with you guys first. I don't mind being slightly gimped if it means I can definitely stick with my current character.

Cursed tables lock you out of getting a certain set of weapons; across all weapon types (Rust shards and Ancient Shard weapons).

As far as having the perfect table, I'm on 7 and I'm doing just fine as is. Just make sure you're not on a cursed table and truck on forward.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 6, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Two of the seventeen tables lose access to the rusted and ancient weapons, which is kind of annoying. Three of the other 15 tables get fewer charms to pick from, which, eh. I honestly wish the OP didn't make such a huge deal out of it, getting one of the cursed tables is irritating but not exactly gamebreaking. Also, are you definitely sure that you got a cursed table? Have you checked yet?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Soon as I posted I found like five Wroggi Scales so all good there. Now, carpenterbugs again :shepicide:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Soon as I posted I found like five Wroggi Scales so all good there. Now, carpenterbugs again :shepicide:

Hell, carpenterbugs are easy. You can usually get one or two in the little Felyne village in the Moga Woods area 4.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Hahahah My first HR G jaggi gave me two bird wyvern gems.

I think one took me a few hours in tri :shepicide:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fungah! posted:

Two of the seventeen tables lose access to the rusted and ancient weapons, which is kind of annoying. Three of the other 15 tables get fewer charms to pick from, which, eh. I honestly wish the OP didn't make such a huge deal out of it, getting one of the cursed tables is irritating but not exactly gamebreaking. Also, are you definitely sure that you got a cursed table? Have you checked yet?

TalonDemonKing posted:

Cursed tables lock you out of getting a certain set of weapons; across all weapon types (Rust shards and Ancient Shard weapons).

As far as having the perfect table, I'm on 7 and I'm doing just fine as is. Just make sure you're not on a cursed table and truck on forward.

I haven't checked yet, I was just wondering. Thank you both for clearing it up for me. A lot of places make a huge deal out of it and after reading this I'm just going to keep on going regardless. I can see how it would negatively affect a lot of people but at this point I'm just trying to learn the ropes and have fun. If I end up really clicking with the series it will matter on future playthroughs or future mh games but now? I think I'm alright.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Man I am having a ton of fun with the Bow & Arrow, just killed the giant jaggi again with it. However, not being familiar with MH series, how long should it take to kill a giant jaggi with the starting bow & arrow? Kinda feels like it takes a long time for me...

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: ^ ^ ^ That's pretty much the fight where they teach you to not attack from the front.

Wow, gently caress you Rathian fight. Three full stacks of healing items and I don't even know if I got him staggered before I failed. I feel like I spent half that fight dizzied or reeling back from the scream/landing.

Wroggi armor works great on Rathian. It has fire resist and poison immunity.

Also a great tip for Rathian and probably others. If you go to area 8 in D Forest and pick up the egg Rathian will fly there from wherever she is. As soon as she starts leaving pick it up and she'll come right back.

I forget, is there anyone else that works on?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

mcpringles posted:

Wroggi armor works great on Rathian. It has fire resist and poison immunity.

Also a great tip for Rathian and probably others. If you go to area 8 in D Forest and pick up the egg Rathian will fly there from wherever she is. As soon as she starts leaving pick it up and she'll come right back.

I forget, is there anyone else that works on?

Does this work on Rathalos? :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, carpenterbugs are easy. You can usually get one or two in the little Felyne village in the Moga Woods area 4.

Well gently caress if that wasn't a lot easier than redoing the sandy plains tour over and over again. Thanks!

Wroggi armor :woop:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I won't screw anything up by using someone else's game card in my 3ds, right?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

gwrtheyrn posted:

I won't screw anything up by using someone else's game card in my 3ds, right?

The game saves to the game cart so you'll have to use a different save slot, but that's it. Define 'screw anything up'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Falcon2001 posted:

The game saves to the game cart so you'll have to use a different save slot, but that's it. Define 'screw anything up'

Well like, will I still get the 5000 resource point bonus for the dlc when I make a new character? This is for a friend who has the game, but the console is still in the mail

• Locked thread